PDA

View Full Version : Does every WA & OR 'bent have a fairing?

March 3rd 05, 08:26 PM
Looking at the pix of various group rides, I get the impression that
every recumbent bike in those states is faired, and many are also
body-socked. Is it because of the rain, or are there fierce winds?
OT, what do upright cyclists do, use partial fairings? or just suffer?

C.C., need to know

Zach
March 3rd 05, 08:47 PM
wrote:
> Looking at the pix of various group rides, I get the impression that
> every recumbent bike in those states is faired, and many are also
> body-socked. Is it because of the rain, or are there fierce winds?
> OT, what do upright cyclists do, use partial fairings? or just
suffer?

> C.C., need to know

Ride STP some time. I've done it the last two years and with the
exception of Easy Racers riders who generally have a front fairing and
are often body-socked, the majority of the riders I saw were riding
unfaired. When I lived in WA in the early 1990's I only had a front
fairing and body sock for a couple months before I returned them due to
numerous design problems with that particular fairing package.

Zach

March 4th 05, 03:45 AM
wrote:
> Looking at the pix of various group rides, I get the impression that
> every recumbent bike in those states is faired, and many are also
> body-socked. Is it because of the rain, or are there fierce winds?
> OT, what do upright cyclists do, use partial fairings? or just
suffer?

> C.C., need to know

Hmmm... I don't know *every* recumbent rider in Washington and Oregon,
but it sure seems that way at times. :-) There's a better
representation at the Recumbent Retreat website:
http://www.recumbentretreat.org/

I think the popularity of Easy Racer products with Zzipper fairings has
a lot to do with their widespread appearance. Combine that with the
ease of making body socks, and they do appear to take over.

The wind can be fierce at times. Here in the Portland area, the mouth
of the Columbia Gorge tends to concentrate the flow through the
Cascades. Consistent winds of 15 to 25 mph are not uncommon. Also, the
floor of the Willamette Valley is pretty flat, so climbing prowess is
not neccessarily an advantage. Take a look at the elevation profiles of
this year's Cycle Oregon and you'll see what I mean:
http://www.cycleoregon.com/week/route.htm

Yes, upright riders suffer.

Jeff

Steve Knight
March 4th 05, 03:48 AM
I am in Portland Oregon and I don't have anything extra. though I saw a fellow
with a body sock for the fist time. sorry but I don't want to look like that (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

March 4th 05, 05:00 AM
Steve Knight wrote:
> I am in Portland Oregon and I don't have anything extra. though I saw
a fellow
> with a body sock for the fist time. sorry but I don't want to look
like that (G)

Yeah, well... the first time you get passed by a grey-haired guy on a
socked Tour Easy who's going 5 mph faster than you, you'll say "I gotta
get me one of them!"

:-O

Jeff

P.S. going to join us for the Rites of Spring?
http://www.ohpv.org/ride_details/rites2005.htm

Mark Leuck
March 4th 05, 06:19 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Steve Knight wrote:
> > I am in Portland Oregon and I don't have anything extra. though I saw
> a fellow
> > with a body sock for the fist time. sorry but I don't want to look
> like that (G)
> >

> Yeah, well... the first time you get passed by a grey-haired guy on a
> socked Tour Easy who's going 5 mph faster than you, you'll say "I gotta
> get me one of them!"
>
> :-O
>
> Jeff

That or a low racer Optima Baron

Jon Meinecke
March 4th 05, 12:59 PM
"Steve Knight" > wrote

> [...] I saw a fellow with a body sock for the fist time.
> sorry but I don't want to look like that (G)

Same sentiment of many regarding bicycle racers and of
some conventional cyclists regarding any recumbent rider...
Maybe they/we don't know what we're missing along the
Pollen Path.

Jon Meinecke
net.subtle-apteryx

--

"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for
the future of the human race."

Steve Knight
March 4th 05, 05:10 PM
>Yeah, well... the first time you get passed by a grey-haired guy on a
>socked Tour Easy who's going 5 mph faster than you, you'll say "I gotta
>get me one of them!"

I have been so sick for the last three years I got passed by girls on single
speed boon tire bikes. well I am filling far better this week and got passed far
less.
but I mostly commute so it would be pointless. if I want to go fast I need to
invest in a racer (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Donn Cave
March 5th 05, 03:56 PM
Quoth :
| Looking at the pix of various group rides, I get the impression that
| every recumbent bike in those states is faired, and many are also
| body-socked. Is it because of the rain, or are there fierce winds?
| OT, what do upright cyclists do, use partial fairings? or just suffer?

I used a Zzipper for a couple decades before recumbency, and sometimes
use one on my Vanguard. Actually rarely these days, partly because of
problems with the fairing but I suppose mostly because I have turned
into kind of a fair-weather cyclist, now that I live within walking
distance of places I might have ridden to. The other recumbents I see
rarely if ever have fairings, but I suspect they're not daily riders
either.

Weather varies around Washington and Oregon, but here in Seattle the
wind is fairly light. The rain isn't all that much in volume either,
it just stays too long at times.

Of course there's the Joe Kochanowski influence, too.

Donn

March 6th 05, 07:29 PM
What!!! Does The Kochanowski live near Seattle or Portland? Exactly
where? When I visit the area I'd love to Worship at the Shrine. Maybe
visit the back alley with the trashcans. I'm going to the gym right
now to practice my dead lifts. I'm serious.

C.C.

March 6th 05, 10:29 PM
wrote:
> What!!! Does The Kochanowski live near Seattle or Portland? Exactly
> where? When I visit the area I'd love to Worship at the Shrine.
Maybe
> visit the back alley with the trashcans. I'm going to the gym right
> now to practice my dead lifts. I'm serious.
>
> C.C.

Joe's a Seattlite. Interpret that as you wish.

Be careful, Carol- you'll end up driving the full length of the West
Coast. Southern Oregon may be 6 hours from Oakland, but Portland's 4
hours past that, and Seattle's another 3 hours beyond that if you don't
get stuck in traffic.

Jeff

S. Delaire \Rotatorrecumbent\
March 7th 05, 04:36 PM
Steve
For a taste of why people use body socks try making it to the HPV races at Portland
Raceway memorial weekend
www.ohpv.org
Speedy

Steve Knight wrote:

> I am in Portland Oregon and I don't have anything extra. though I saw a fellow
> with a body sock for the fist time. sorry but I don't want to look like that (G)
>
> --
> Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
> Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices
> See http://www.knight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

March 7th 05, 09:58 PM
S. Delaire "Rotatorrecumbent" wrote:
> Steve
> For a taste of why people use body socks try making it to the HPV
races at Portland
> Raceway memorial weekend
> www.ohpv.org
> Speedy

And we get Joe, too: http://www.ohpv.org/pir2003/joekoch/index.htm

Jeff

Steve Knight
March 8th 05, 03:07 AM
>And we get Joe, too: http://www.ohpv.org/pir2003/joekoch/index.htm

I would like to see him ride that in traffic (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

S. Delaire \Rotatorrecumbent\
March 8th 05, 04:55 PM
Joe can do it
A bit of an eccentric (meant as a compliment)
With great bike handling skills
And good power
Take the time to get to know him
Come to the races Memorial weekend
Speedy

Steve Knight wrote:

> >And we get Joe, too: http://www.ohpv.org/pir2003/joekoch/index.htm
>
> I would like to see him ride that in traffic (G)
>
> --
> Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
> Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices
> See http://www.knight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

Steve Knight
March 8th 05, 05:39 PM
On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 08:55:25 -0800, "S. Delaire \"Rotatorrecumbent\""
> wrote:

>Joe can do it
>A bit of an eccentric (meant as a compliment)
>With great bike handling skills
>And good power
>Take the time to get to know him
>Come to the races Memorial weekend

it would be kind of cool to see it.
I may go on one of the rides here soon.
not sure if I am up to it. been sick for years and at last I am finally
recovering. but I have not done more then my 20 or so miles a day yet.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

March 9th 05, 01:40 AM

> it would be kind of cool to see it.
> I may go on one of the rides here soon.
> not sure if I am up to it. been sick for years and at last I am
finally
> recovering. but I have not done more then my 20 or so miles a day
yet.

> --

Steve- come out to PIR and spectate. It's fun for everyone, and you'll
come to realize that there's lots of wackos like you around. Me in
particular.
8-)

Jeff

Steve Knight
March 9th 05, 04:40 AM
On 8 Mar 2005 17:40:38 -0800, wrote:

>Steve- come out to PIR and spectate. It's fun for everyone, and you'll
>come to realize that there's lots of wackos like you around. Me in
>particular.
>8-)

(G) I just may. looking at the ride the 19th. not sure if I am up to it since I
have to ride to get there. makes is about 45 miles. My wacky body I don't know
if I have enough energy for a long ride.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

March 13th 05, 04:00 PM
Idaho, too, but mostly those of us with ERs. That's probably because
the whole fairing/skin setup is so easily purchased and installed. Just
my opinion, but I think the fairing should be everyone's first major
upgrade.

There are two or three uprights in Boise with bubble fairings but the
peer pressure for those poor *******s is to buy those (dangerously
inappropriate) aerobars instead of a fairing.

On m recumbent, I'm bucking the commonly accepted trends in bicycling
hardware and fashions by definition. Anything I can do to draw
attention to or add comfort to my riding experience is okay with me.

david boise ID

wrote:
> Looking at the pix of various group rides, I get the impression that
> every recumbent bike in those states is faired, and many are also
> body-socked. Is it because of the rain, or are there fierce winds?
> OT, what do upright cyclists do, use partial fairings? or just
suffer?

> C.C., need to know

March 13th 05, 06:48 PM
We'll be driving up (with 2 borrowed EZ-1's) around Memorial Day
weekend. If we can schedule the long drive, I'd love to see the races.
Depends on the weather and the pull of all the other terrific sights
in western Oregon.

Is it true (according to Chuck Palahniuk's Portland guidebook) that the
upright cyclist racers take their victory laps nude (plus helmets &
shoes)? Do the recumbent cyclists do the same? And would it matter,
since they all have body socks & full fairings?

C.C.

March 14th 05, 03:49 AM
wrote:
> We'll be driving up (with 2 borrowed EZ-1's) around Memorial Day
> weekend. If we can schedule the long drive, I'd love to see the
races.
> Depends on the weather and the pull of all the other terrific sights
> in western Oregon.
>
> Is it true (according to Chuck Palahniuk's Portland guidebook) that
the
> upright cyclist racers take their victory laps nude (plus helmets &
> shoes)? Do the recumbent cyclists do the same? And would it matter,
> since they all have body socks & full fairings?
>
> C.C.

Not really. The "Naked Lap" is an end-of-season tradition for the
Monday/Tuesday upright racers. I've never seen in happen at the
recumbent races, but then I'm not at the track every minute.

Jeff

Joe Kochanowski
March 22nd 05, 05:47 AM
wrote:
> Looking at the pix of various group rides, I get the impression that
> every recumbent bike in those states is faired, and many are also
> body-socked. Is it because of the rain, or are there fierce winds?
> OT, what do upright cyclists do, use partial fairings? or just
suffer?

> C.C., need to know

The real reason there are so many faired or good quality bents in
Portland is only because of Jeff Wills. Jeff is a good example of
someone who gets the bent riders there together. It is similar to
getting stray cats together to do synchronized swimming. I wish there
was someone like that here in Seattle. Jeff has made a big difference
in the recumbent scene. Portland has regular scheduled bent rides, a
website with an active message board, the Portland International
Raceway bent race every Memorial day weekend and other bent events and
meetings. Seattle has nothing to compare to this. This is the
difference that someone like Jeff makes.

March 23rd 05, 05:12 AM
Joe Kochanowski wrote:

> The real reason there are so many faired or good quality bents in
> Portland is only because of Jeff Wills. Jeff is a good example of
> someone who gets the bent riders there together. It is similar to
> getting stray cats together to do synchronized swimming.

Aw, gee, Joe- now you're making me blush...

Jeff

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home