PDA

View Full Version : Liggett implies Ullrich should not have slowed for Lance on Luz Ardiden

Doug
July 21st 03, 07:19 PM
http://tdf.olntv.com/, Phil Liggett link, Stage 15 report, on the
right.

In short:

-----
Should Ullrich have waited for him? After all two years ago, it was a
great gesture, but of little importance to the race -- they were going
downhill. This time, Ullrich lost all his rhythm and he can never
accelerate like Lance. Just another viewpoint.
-----

warren
July 22nd 03, 06:41 AM
In article >, Doug
> wrote:

> http://tdf.olntv.com/, Phil Liggett link, Stage 15 report, on the
> right.
>
> In short:
>
> -----
> Should Ullrich have waited for him? After all two years ago, it was a
> great gesture, but of little importance to the race -- they were going
> downhill. This time, Ullrich lost all his rhythm and he can never
> accelerate like Lance. Just another viewpoint.

Ullrich said it was nice to catch his breath while they waited for
Lance. IOW, Ullrich got to rest while Lance had to chase and then Mayo
made sure Lance didn't get to rest once he regained the group.

-WG

Al
July 22nd 03, 06:52 PM
In article >, mapei81
@aol.com says...
> Related hypothetical question, just for fun:
>
> Would Lance have waited if Jan had crashed on the "look" climb? I can't
> imagine it.

I couldn't image him *not* waiting, particularly in a situation as
visible as that one was (and wasn't he pretty well fixed up for points
on that climb as well?)

- Al

Robert Morgan
July 22nd 03, 07:03 PM
Probably not. But, remember, he attacked on that climb specifically at that
"look" spot. As paranoid as htis sounds, one wouldn't want to slow down
everytime someone crashes, since that could be a tactic used to slow down a
rider up ahead. Lance was actually attacking at that spot, making things
happen, so it would be illogical to slow down. At Luz Ardiden, Jan wasn't
actively attacking right then when Lance went down, so it was good
sportsmanships (and classy) to slow a bit.

Bob

"Mapei81" > wrote in message
> Related hypothetical question, just for fun:
>
> Would Lance have waited if Jan had crashed on the "look" climb? I can't
> imagine it.

Just a Cyclist
July 22nd 03, 07:49 PM
"Robert Morgan" > wrote in message
thlink.net...
> Probably not. But, remember, he attacked on that climb specifically at
that
> "look" spot. As paranoid as htis sounds, one wouldn't want to slow down
> everytime someone crashes, since that could be a tactic used to slow down
> rider up ahead. Lance was actually attacking at that spot, making things
> happen, so it would be illogical to slow down. At Luz Ardiden, Jan wasn't
> actively attacking right then when Lance went down, so it was good
> sportsmanships (and classy) to slow a bit.
>
> Bob

I disagree..........he would have waited......He has in the past an would
then......he was attacking stupid's attack......it was a counter
attack........

> "Mapei81" > wrote in message
> > Related hypothetical question, just for fun:
> >
> > Would Lance have waited if Jan had crashed on the "look" climb? I can't
> > imagine it.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home