PDA

View Full Version : Stage 19 and Stage 20 Question

Ian
July 22nd 03, 09:07 AM
If after stage 19 the time gap between the Tour leader and the second
place rider of the GC is only 60 seconds, will they fight for the final
placing during the final stage (stage 20) - I thought normally stage 20
are for the sprinters?

Has there ever been such a close time difference between the leader and
the second place rider in the Tour, and that the winner determined by
the final stage?

Ron D.
July 22nd 03, 09:34 AM
"Ian" > a écrit dans le message de news:
> If after stage 19 the time gap between the Tour leader and the second
> place rider of the GC is only 60 seconds, will they fight for the
final
> placing during the final stage (stage 20) - I thought normally stage
20
> are for the sprinters?
>
> Has there ever been such a close time difference between the leader
and
> the second place rider in the Tour, and that the winner determined by
> the final stage?

In 1979 Zootemelk was 2nd to Hinault before the last stage.
He tried to escape at the Champ-Elysees stage to gain time over Hinault.
Hinault came back to catch him and won the stage and the tour.

--
Ron

Martin Recker
July 22nd 03, 04:13 PM
"Ron D." > wrote in message >...
> "Ian" > a écrit dans le message de news:

> > If after stage 19 the time gap between the Tour leader and the second
> > place rider of the GC is only 60 seconds, will they fight for the
> > final placing during the final stage (stage 20) - I thought normally
> > stage 20 are for the sprinters?

> In 1979 Zootemelk was 2nd to Hinault before the last stage.
> He tried to escape at the Champ-Elysees stage to gain time over Hinault.
> Hinault came back to catch him and won the stage and the tour.

But the fight in 1979 wasn't about winning the tour. It was about the
stage alone. Hinault won that tour by more than 13 minutes.

Ron D.
July 22nd 03, 11:09 PM
"Martin Recker" > a écrit dans le message de news:
> "Ron D." > wrote in message
> > "Ian" > a écrit dans le message de news:
>
> > > If after stage 19 the time gap between the Tour leader and the
second
> > > place rider of the GC is only 60 seconds, will they fight for the
> > > final placing during the final stage (stage 20) - I thought
normally
> > > stage 20 are for the sprinters?
>
> > In 1979 Zootemelk was 2nd to Hinault before the last stage.
> > He tried to escape at the Champ-Elysees stage to gain time over
Hinault.
> > Hinault came back to catch him and won the stage and the tour.
>
> But the fight in 1979 wasn't about winning the tour. It was about the
> stage alone. Hinault won that tour by more than 13 minutes.

Not exactly.
Zootemelk was only 3 min behind Hinault.
Once the race was over he was awarded a 10 min penalti for a reason I
don't remember exactly, it may be something close to a positive test or
something (not too sure there).

--
Ron

Ron D.
July 22nd 03, 11:13 PM
"Ron D." > a écrit dans le message de news:

> "Martin Recker" > a écrit dans le message de news:

> second
> normally
> >
> > > In 1979 Zootemelk was 2nd to Hinault before the last stage.
> > > He tried to escape at the Champ-Elysees stage to gain time over
> Hinault.
> > > Hinault came back to catch him and won the stage and the tour.
> >
> > But the fight in 1979 wasn't about winning the tour. It was about
the
> > stage alone. Hinault won that tour by more than 13 minutes.
>
> Not exactly.
> Zootemelk was only 3 min behind Hinault.
> Once the race was over he was awarded a 10 min penalti for a reason I
> don't remember exactly, it may be something close to a positive test
or
> something (not too sure there).
>
> --
> Ron

More about it on this link (in French)

http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/eta_tdf_1974_1983/tdf1979_24.php

--
Ron

Martin Recker
July 23rd 03, 06:44 AM
"Ron D." > wrote in message >...
> "Ron D." > a écrit dans le message de news:
>
> More about it on this link (in French)
>
> http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/eta_tdf_1974_1983/tdf1979_24.php

Thank you.

Google