PDA

View Full Version : Re: Foils of the Great Ones

Thomas Lund
July 23rd 03, 07:53 AM
Merckx and Ocana

"Scribe2b" > skrev i en meddelelse
> to achieve legends by drama, all heroes need their very near rivalsm
racers of
> enormous talent against which to try themselves.
> like...
> coppi and bartali
> anquetil and guillmard (???)
> lemond and fignon
> armstrong and ullrich
> any others????

Ron D.
July 23rd 03, 08:24 AM
"Scribe2b" > a écrit dans le message de news:
> to achieve legends by drama, all heroes need their very near rivalsm
racers of
> enormous talent against which to try themselves.
> like...
> coppi and bartali
> anquetil and guillmard (???)

more like Anquetil & Poulidor

--
Ron

Lars Mikkelsen
July 23rd 03, 10:12 AM
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 04:13:54 +0000, Scribe2b wrote:

> to achieve legends by drama, all heroes need their very near rivalsm
> racers of enormous talent against which to try themselves. like...
> coppi and bartali
> anquetil and guillmard (???)
> lemond and fignon
> armstrong and ullrich
> any others????

Indurain - Tony Rominger

Kurgan Gringioni
July 23rd 03, 10:40 AM
"Lars Mikkelsen" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 04:13:54 +0000, Scribe2b wrote:
>
> > to achieve legends by drama, all heroes need their very near rivalsm
> > racers of enormous talent against which to try themselves. like...
> > coppi and bartali
> > anquetil and guillmard (???)
> > lemond and fignon
> > armstrong and ullrich
> > any others????
>
> Indurain - Tony Rominger

Rominger gave it his best, but never was really much of a threat to win. He
lost by 5+ minutes every time.

IMO, Indurain didn't have a single great rival.

Nick Burns
July 23rd 03, 05:40 PM
"Kurgan Gringioni" > wrote in
message t...

> "Lars Mikkelsen" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 04:13:54 +0000, Scribe2b wrote:
> >
> > > to achieve legends by drama, all heroes need their very near rivalsm
> > > racers of enormous talent against which to try themselves. like...
> > > coppi and bartali
> > > anquetil and guillmard (???)
> > > lemond and fignon
> > > armstrong and ullrich
> > > any others????
> >
> > Indurain - Tony Rominger
>

> Rominger gave it his best, but never was really much of a threat to win.
He
> lost by 5+ minutes every time.
>
> IMO, Indurain didn't have a single great rival.

I think he only got close in the '93 Tour. Rominger was a great stage racer
that only started winning Tours when his allergies became less of an
intrusion in the summer months. Early in his career he had some great wins
in the early and late season races. The 1993 Tour was a great one for Tony
since he won 3 stages and the KOM jersey. He lost time in the TTT, the early
ITT (where his poor TTT result forced him to ride in bad weather since he
was buried on GC) but one of those three stage victories was in the last
ITT. He was never again on the podium and only cracked the top 10 2 more
times. The press had him as the only real challenger to Indurain but as I
said, that only really happened once.

Chiappucci was also billed as a challenger because of his audacious tactics
that allowed him to take of the great mountain exploits of his generation as
he won the 13th stage in the 1992 Tour. Again, although he made it to the
podium 3 times, nobody ever really thought he had a chance to beat Indurain.
He was greatly appreciated as the man that kept the races interesting since
the other Italian challenger was considered a bit to timid.

Bugno was the "Ullrich" of his generation and by that I mean that he was
considered to rarely race to his potential. His complete domination of the
1990 Giro was supposed to be a precursor of great victories, but they never
quite filled the ultra high expectation heaped on him by the tifosi. He did
go on to win the World's road race twice, won 4 stages (including 2 wins at
Alp d'Huez) on the way to placing on the TDF podium twice.

Riis wanted to be the great foil to Indurain and was sad when Big Mig
crumbled while attempting his 6th consecutive win. Riis spent most of his
career as a domestique, initially working for Fignon and then changing over
to Italians teams up until he finally won the Tour for Telekom. His best
result prior to his win in the 1996 Tour was 3rd place and that was
considered and anomaly considering his career to date. Riis considered it
part of his planned ascension to the top of the podium since he had place
5th in the 1993 Tour.

I don't believe I have forgotten anyone. In summary, there were great racers
in the Indurain years but nobody up to his caliber, I have to agree that
Indurain did not have a single rival that could be considered near his
equal. All great racers in their own right, but Mig was in a class of his
own.

Stewart Fleming
July 23rd 03, 10:44 PM
Nick Burns wrote:

> Riis wanted to be the great foil to Indurain and was sad when Big Mig
> crumbled while attempting his 6th consecutive win. Riis spent most of his
> career as a domestique, initially working for Fignon and then changing over
> to Italians teams up until he finally won the Tour for Telekom. His best
> result prior to his win in the 1996 Tour was 3rd place and that was
> considered and anomaly considering his career to date. Riis considered it
> part of his planned ascension to the top of the podium since he had place
> 5th in the 1993 Tour.

Some people consider his Tour victory to be an anomaly.

Steve McGinty
July 24th 03, 05:41 PM
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 16:40:59 GMT, "Nick Burns" >
wrote:

>"Kurgan Gringioni" > wrote in
>message t...

>> > Indurain - Tony Rominger
>>

>> Rominger gave it his best, but never was really much of a threat to win.
>He
>> lost by 5+ minutes every time.
>>
>> IMO, Indurain didn't have a single great rival.
>
>I think he only got close in the '93 Tour. Rominger was a great stage racer
>that only started winning Tours when his allergies became less of an
>intrusion in the summer months. Early in his career he had some great wins
>in the early and late season races. The 1993 Tour was a great one for Tony
>since he won 3 stages and the KOM jersey. He lost time in the TTT, the early
>ITT (where his poor TTT result forced him to ride in bad weather since he
>was buried on GC) but one of those three stage victories was in the last
>ITT. He was never again on the podium and only cracked the top 10 2 more
>times. The press had him as the only real challenger to Indurain but as I
>said, that only really happened once.
>
>Chiappucci was also billed as a challenger because of his audacious tactics
>that allowed him to take of the great mountain exploits of his generation as
>he won the 13th stage in the 1992 Tour. Again, although he made it to the
>podium 3 times, nobody ever really thought he had a chance to beat Indurain.
>He was greatly appreciated as the man that kept the races interesting since
>the other Italian challenger was considered a bit to timid.
>
>Bugno was the "Ullrich" of his generation and by that I mean that he was
>considered to rarely race to his potential. His complete domination of the
>1990 Giro was supposed to be a precursor of great victories, but they never
>quite filled the ultra high expectation heaped on him by the tifosi. He did
>go on to win the World's road race twice, won 4 stages (including 2 wins at
>Alp d'Huez) on the way to placing on the TDF podium twice.
>
>Riis wanted to be the great foil to Indurain and was sad when Big Mig
>crumbled while attempting his 6th consecutive win. Riis spent most of his
>career as a domestique, initially working for Fignon and then changing over
>to Italians teams up until he finally won the Tour for Telekom. His best
>result prior to his win in the 1996 Tour was 3rd place and that was
>considered and anomaly considering his career to date. Riis considered it
>part of his planned ascension to the top of the podium since he had place
>5th in the 1993 Tour.
>
>I don't believe I have forgotten anyone.

Olano.

Regards!
Stephen

Andy Kriger
July 25th 03, 02:58 AM
"Ron D." > wrote in news:3f1e3828$0$16692
:

> "Scribe2b" > a écrit dans le message de news:
>> to achieve legends by drama, all heroes need their very near rivalsm
> racers of
>> enormous talent against which to try themselves.
>> like...
>> coppi and bartali
>> anquetil and guillmard (???)
>
> more like Anquetil & Poulidor
>
>> lemond and fignon
>> armstrong and ullrich
>> any others????
>
> --
> Ron

don't forget Merckx and Poulidor too (a 2nd place, 2 3rds and a 7th when
Merckx won)

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home