PDA

View Full Version : question about Mavic neutral Support

jjpsych
July 23rd 03, 02:43 PM
Ok, here is a silly question. But not as silly as the one last week
about pros using tandems :)

While watching the tour the other night, my girlfriend was commenting
on the BRIGHT YELLOW cars (Mavic). I explained to her about the
neutral support that provides wheels for riders in case of flats.
That got me to wondering. (wich can be dangerous, I will admit)

Regarding Mavic's neutral support bikes. What about the pedals? I
mean, If a pro calls for a neutral bike (OK, I know that the order is
get a teamates/domestique's or get a bike from team car)will a
mechaning magically spin on the correct pedals that match the cleats
the rider is using? (note a tiny bit or sarcasm).

Or are we approaching a point, or have we even passed it, in
professional cycling where all the teams using propriatery
technologies means the end of "neutral support" as we have known it.

Just a thought,
Jay

Nick Burns
July 23rd 03, 05:15 PM
"John Rees" > wrote in message
> "jjpsych" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Ok, here is a silly question. But not as silly as the one last week
> > about pros using tandems :)
> >
> > While watching the tour the other night, my girlfriend was commenting
> > on the BRIGHT YELLOW cars (Mavic). I explained to her about the
> > neutral support that provides wheels for riders in case of flats.
> > That got me to wondering. (wich can be dangerous, I will admit)
> >
> > Regarding Mavic's neutral support bikes. What about the pedals? I
> > mean, If a pro calls for a neutral bike (OK, I know that the order is
> > get a teamates/domestique's or get a bike from team car)will a
> > mechaning magically spin on the correct pedals that match the cleats
> > the rider is using? (note a tiny bit or sarcasm).
>
> The neutral bikes have 'old fashioned' strap style pedals to deal with the
> compatibility issues. Not perfect, but better then sitting on the side of
> the road helpless watching riders from other teams go by.
>
> VeloNews had an article a few years back about the bikes. At the time,
the
> bikes were actually CAAD4 Cannondales with no logos on them (but very
yellow
> paint). They even had the Mektronic grouppo on them!
>
> Not certain what the frames are now, but they no longer have the Mek,
'just'
> Dura-Ace.
>
> John Rees

I recall Litespeed, but I don't know when or even if that deal went through.
I think they pursued that after they lost the Lotto deal.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home