PDA

View Full Version : Tracking Riders

jayseekay
July 23rd 03, 04:48 PM
One of thing that bothered me when I was following the TDF race on TV
or via the web, the positions of all the riders were unknown.
Somtimes I noticed the TV announcers lost track of positions of the
riders that were in the front. How about putting some electronic tags
on the riders? There are several technologies that can be used here.
Did anyone else have the same problem as I did?

Mack Mad
July 24th 03, 03:17 AM
"jayseekay" > wrote in message
om...
> One of thing that bothered me when I was following the TDF race on TV
> or via the web, the positions of all the riders were unknown.
> Somtimes I noticed the TV announcers lost track of positions of the
> riders that were in the front. How about putting some electronic tags
> on the riders? There are several technologies that can be used here.
> Did anyone else have the same problem as I did?

They should put the tiny cameras on them
And microphones so the team directors can listen in to everyone's
conversation.

The only place that matters is your place at the finish.

RWM
July 24th 03, 04:45 AM
In the Giro they have "transponders" on each bike that can pinpoint the
location of each rider in real-time. The only problem that I am aware of is
when a rider switches bikes with a team mate or use his back up bike. They
might have the same thing in the Tour but I am not aware of it.

"Mack Mad" > wrote in message
> "jayseekay" > wrote in message
> om...
> > One of thing that bothered me when I was following the TDF race on TV
> > or via the web, the positions of all the riders were unknown.
> > Somtimes I noticed the TV announcers lost track of positions of the
> > riders that were in the front. How about putting some electronic tags
> > on the riders? There are several technologies that can be used here.
> > Did anyone else have the same problem as I did?
>
> They should put the tiny cameras on them
> And microphones so the team directors can listen in to everyone's
> conversation.
>
> The only place that matters is your place at the finish.

Mack Mad
July 24th 03, 05:24 AM
Yes, they do to, but the only place they put any devices to record their
place is at the finish - because where they finish is all that matters.

Hell, they don't even have stationary finish line cameras for intermediate
sprints.

"RWM" > wrote in message
> In the Giro they have "transponders" on each bike that can pinpoint the
> location of each rider in real-time. The only problem that I am aware of
is
> when a rider switches bikes with a team mate or use his back up bike.
They
> might have the same thing in the Tour but I am not aware of it.
>
> "Mack Mad" > wrote in message
> > "jayseekay" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > One of thing that bothered me when I was following the TDF race on TV
> > > or via the web, the positions of all the riders were unknown.
> > > Somtimes I noticed the TV announcers lost track of positions of the
> > > riders that were in the front. How about putting some electronic tags
> > > on the riders? There are several technologies that can be used here.
> > > Did anyone else have the same problem as I did?
> >
> > They should put the tiny cameras on them
> > And microphones so the team directors can listen in to everyone's
> > conversation.
> >
> > The only place that matters is your place at the finish.

Raptor
July 24th 03, 06:54 AM
Mack Mad wrote:
> "jayseekay" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>One of thing that bothered me when I was following the TDF race on TV
>>or via the web, the positions of all the riders were unknown.
>>Somtimes I noticed the TV announcers lost track of positions of the
>>riders that were in the front. How about putting some electronic tags
>>on the riders? There are several technologies that can be used here.
>>Did anyone else have the same problem as I did?
>

> They should put the tiny cameras on them
> And microphones so the team directors can listen in to everyone's
> conversation.
>
> The only place that matters is your place at the finish.

Oh, hell no. How they got there, or ended up in the finishing order
they did, is important too, in terms of information and understanding by
the viewer, which is the REALLY important party here.

"I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we could to protect
our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security."
--Microsoft VP in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

jayseekay
July 25th 03, 12:44 AM
You are correct...only place matters. However, I think it makes the
race more interesting when I can participate and follow the racers as
the race progresses. Also, I am interested to see how some of the
riders that I am interested are progressing in the race.

"Mack Mad" > wrote in message >...
> "jayseekay" > wrote in message
> om...
> > One of thing that bothered me when I was following the TDF race on TV
> > or via the web, the positions of all the riders were unknown.
> > Somtimes I noticed the TV announcers lost track of positions of the
> > riders that were in the front. How about putting some electronic tags
> > on the riders? There are several technologies that can be used here.
> > Did anyone else have the same problem as I did?
>
> They should put the tiny cameras on them
> And microphones so the team directors can listen in to everyone's
> conversation.
>
> The only place that matters is your place at the finish.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home