PDA

View Full Version : Re: Dumb American sportswriters vs. Cycling journalists

Bruce Johnston
July 24th 03, 02:14 AM
"Tony Ortega" > wrote in message
om...
> [...]
> years ago, my friend flew in to visit me in Phoenix and cover a game,
> and he complained again and again about what idiots American
> sportswriters are. He resented that he'd have to fight to get
> one-on-one interviews with athletes and coaches. When I asked him why,
> he said that the practice here is for a lot of American reporters to
> sit around in a group and lob extremely stupid questions, hoping that
> something other than a barely coherent cliché came out of the subject.
> The writers had got in the habit of asking questions they already knew
> the answer to, questions whose answers were implied in the way they
> were asked. "Isn't it true that..." these questions always began, my
> friend complained.
> (For a pertinent example, just watch how Frankie Andreu questions
> Lance Armstrong after each stage. A non-journalist whose only training
> is from the kinds of interviews he's been through himself, Andreu asks
> incredibly obvious non-questions that can only elicit the most pat,
> boring responses. Don't get me wrong - I love Frankie, and always dug
> his Tour diaries when he was riding. But he's no interviewer. Luckily
> for him, Armstrong usually comes up with a decent soundbite
> nonetheless.)
> Anyway, my friend wanted one interview in particular, with
> then-Phoenix Suns coach Danny Ainge. At the time, Ainge was new to
> coaching, and he'd turned around a lousy team in a short period of
> time. Problem was, there were about ten writers loafing around in
> Ainge's office, watching him eat dinner. (Saw it myself. I went along
> with my friend to see him in action.) The writers cracked jokes, never
> eliciting more than a grunt from Ainge, who didn't appear too bright.
> My friend patiently waited until there was just one writer still in
> the room, and then asked if he could talk with Ainge. Right away, he
> bored in with probing questions - what was it like for a guy who had
> spent so many years winning with the Celtics to take over such a sucky
> club? What did Ainge think of the young thugs who were hurting the
> sport's image? And a dozen other substantial queries.
> And something amazing happened - confronted with intelligent, complex
> questions, Ainge responded with very smart and thoughtful replies.
> Turned out the guy was actually very bright, and had thought deeply on
> these subjects.
> I remember watching the light go on in the head of the lone remaining
> American sportswriter in the room - he was stunned by what he was
> witnessing. So much so that in his column the next day, he wrote about
> my friend and how Ainge had given such a probing interview to a
> European journalist.
> Just as we were leaving, this American sportswriter shook his head
> and asked Ainge, "Hey, how come you don't tell us those kinds of
> things?"
> Ainge smiled and said, "You never asked."

It's amazing how stupid some of these guys are. One time when Lemond was
winning some guy wrote during the climb to Luz Ardiden where Indurain beat
Lemond that anybody can peddle a bike up a hill and went on and on with a
rant. I believe Lemond caught wind of it and invited to pay the guy's plane
trip to come over to watch the tour to see how hard it really is. It's one
thing when these idiots write stuff like that but what is actually more
astonishing is when cycling journalists write stuff that is really mean,
untrue and cruel. I am aware of some who privately have views about cycling
and it's stars past and present that if printed would draw the wrath of the
entire cycling community. That's why they don't write publicly what they
feel privately. To me that is even more detrimental to the sport of cycling.
The good news is that it never gets printed.

B-

wkabout
July 24th 03, 05:13 PM
You're painting with a pretty broad brush here aren't you? Sorry, can't buy
your generic American sportswriters-lame, Euro writers-incisive, line. One
anecdote from a Belgium sportswriter doesn't a consensus make. Are you sure
the same phenomenon doesn't occur in the office of the coach of FC Bruges or
Anderlech soccer clubs?

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home