PDA

View Full Version : Question for group

Thomas Mairs
July 24th 03, 08:18 AM
Hello people - I found you ( not that you were lost ) I knew that some where
on USENET there was an NG discussing the tour.
I am not a bike rider but I appreciate the effort anyways here is my
question

I notice that during the race the riders throwing away their water bottles -
Question about how many bottles do they go thru? per stage? per the whole
tour?

Jay Hill
July 24th 03, 12:06 PM
Thomas Mairs wrote:
> Hello people - I found you ( not that you were lost ) I knew that some where
> on USENET there was an NG discussing the tour.
> I am not a bike rider but I appreciate the effort anyways here is my
> question
>
> I notice that during the race the riders throwing away their water bottles -
> Question about how many bottles do they go thru? per stage? per the whole
> tour?

I've seen estimates for this somewhere, amaong tour trivia. Wait
till you see the amount of people involved in the caravan.

Robert Chambers
July 24th 03, 12:54 PM
I believe I read last year that each team (9 riders) is issued 1,000
bottles. Of course, most are given away to spectators and friends as
souvenirs. But they do go through alot of bottles.

Bob C.

"Thomas Mairs" > wrote in message
> Hello people - I found you ( not that you were lost ) I knew that some
where
> on USENET there was an NG discussing the tour.
> I am not a bike rider but I appreciate the effort anyways here is my
> question
>
> I notice that during the race the riders throwing away their water
bottles -
> Question about how many bottles do they go thru? per stage? per the whole
> tour?

Davey Crockett
July 24th 03, 02:22 PM
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 07:18:17 +0000, Thomas Mairs wrote:

> I notice that during the race the riders throwing away their water bottles -
> Question about how many bottles do they go thru? per stage? per the whole
> tour?

Coca-Cola have a rather Kool WebSite http://www2.coca-cola.com/

If you look around you will see there is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions
if you are new)

I didn't see the answer there, but they have a ~Contact Us~ link too

This seems to open up a Chat Room but I got no action there.

However, on that page is a link to a form to contact them for an e-mail
response and this is exactly what I did.

They ask your Postal address etc and a valid e-mail address which I gave
them

So if/as/when I get a response, I shall post it in the RBR Usenet
newsGroup.
--
"We copy only the best programmes; We steal the rest" - Bill Gatez
Why be a ****** when you can be a Winner? Load LINUX

Mike S.
July 24th 03, 05:28 PM
"Thomas Mairs" > wrote in message
> Hello people - I found you ( not that you were lost ) I knew that some
where
> on USENET there was an NG discussing the tour.
> I am not a bike rider but I appreciate the effort anyways here is my
> question
>
> I notice that during the race the riders throwing away their water
bottles -
> Question about how many bottles do they go thru? per stage? per the whole
> tour?

My guess is: at least one bottle an hour when racing (more when its hot).
Multiplied by the number of racers, and the number of hours racing.

Good thing they're souvenirs, 'cause that's a lot of plastic bottles! I
wonder if they have a special French bidon patrol?

Mike

Mike S.
July 24th 03, 06:30 PM
> Unless the riders are drinking their own pee, that's bull! They toss every
> bottle they empty and are just getting new ones from the car.
>
> chris

....and another one takes the bait...

Mike

Michael
July 24th 03, 06:35 PM
It's just too easy.

M.

"Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message

> > Unless the riders are drinking their own pee, that's bull! They toss
every
> > bottle they empty and are just getting new ones from the car.
> >
> > chris
>
> ...and another one takes the bait...
>
> Mike

Mike S.
July 24th 03, 06:50 PM
> > > bottles -
> whole
> > >
> > > The water bottles that they drink out of, they keep.
> > >
> > > The ones they throw away are the ones they peed into.
> >
> > Unless the riders are drinking their own pee, that's bull!
>

> When riders get excessively dehydrated, as they have in this Tour, they
will
> drink pee.
>
> No big deal, it's sterile.

I thought that you only drank pee when you were going to Africa.

Mike

chris freeman
July 24th 03, 07:04 PM
Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

> > I notice that during the race the riders throwing away their water
> bottles -
> > Question about how many bottles do they go thru? per stage? per the whole
> > tour?
>
> The water bottles that they drink out of, they keep.
>
> The ones they throw away are the ones they peed into.

Unless the riders are drinking their own pee, that's bull! They toss every
bottle they empty and are just getting new ones from the car.

chris

DiabloScott
July 24th 03, 07:25 PM
Chris Freeman wrote:
> Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> > > I notice that during the race the riders throwing away their water
> > bottles -
> > > Question about how many bottles do they go thru? per stage? per the
> > > whole tour?
> >
> > The water bottles that they drink out of, they keep.
> >
> > The ones they throw away are the ones they peed into.
> Unless the riders are drinking their own pee, that's bull! They toss
> every bottle they empty and are just getting new ones from the car.
> chris

Nope Chris - it's a fact. I've got an official bidon full of racer pee
that I picked up during the stage to gap - you're welcome to come check
it out and even take a swig if you don't believe me.

Hope this helps.

--
Check out my bike blog!

http://diabloscott.blogspot.com

ride your bike
July 24th 03, 07:50 PM
"Davey Crockett" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 07:18:17 +0000, Thomas Mairs wrote:
>

> > I notice that during the race the riders throwing away their water
bottles -
> > Question about how many bottles do they go thru? per stage? per the
whole
> > tour?
>
> Coca-Cola have a rather Kool WebSite http://www2.coca-cola.com/
>
> If you look around you will see there is a FAQ (Frequently Asked
Questions
> if you are new)

Don't support Coca-Cola:

http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2003/07/268629.shtml

http://www.cokewatch.org/

asqui
July 24th 03, 08:25 PM
Thomas Mairs wrote:
> Hello people - I found you ( not that you were lost ) I knew that
> some where on USENET there was an NG discussing the tour.
> I am not a bike rider but I appreciate the effort anyways here is my
> question
>
> I notice that during the race the riders throwing away their water
> bottles - Question about how many bottles do they go thru? per stage?
> per the whole tour?

And who goes and picks them up when they throw them into shrubs off the side
of the road on stretches with no spectators in sight?

Looks like some pretty serious pollution is going on here.

Dani

Dashi Toshii
July 24th 03, 08:45 PM
"Kurgan Gringioni" > wrote in
message et...

> > > bottles -
> whole
> > >
> > > The water bottles that they drink out of, they keep.
> > >
> > > The ones they throw away are the ones they peed into.
> >
> > Unless the riders are drinking their own pee, that's bull!
>

> When riders get excessively dehydrated, as they have in this Tour, they
will
> drink pee.
>
> No big deal, it's sterile.

Kurgan Gringioni AKA Bob Roll!

Dashii

Kurgan Gringioni
July 24th 03, 09:22 PM
"Dashi Toshii" > wrote in message

> "Kurgan Gringioni" > wrote in
> message et...

> > whole

> > > Unless the riders are drinking their own pee, that's bull!
> >

> > When riders get excessively dehydrated, as they have in this Tour, they
> will
> > drink pee.
> >
> > No big deal, it's sterile.
>
> Kurgan Gringioni AKA Bob Roll!

shush. you're going to spoil my chances w/ Ms. Gum.

Stewart Fleming
July 24th 03, 10:35 PM
Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

> The French fans like the TdF so much that they pick up bottles even if
> they've been peed in. I guess you can just pour it out into the toilet and
> wash the bottle - pee is sterile right?

Any racing caps that are thrown away are collected for a similar reason.
If you look carefully you will see that some riders throw away their
helmets at the foot of the last climb since they can't wear racing caps
any more.

Dan
July 25th 03, 02:45 AM
"Kurgan Gringioni" > wrote in message >...

> The French fans like the TdF so much that they pick up bottles even if
> they've been peed in. I guess you can just pour it out into the toilet and
> wash the bottle - pee is sterile right?

I heard pee is sterile but I don't believe it. In my rougher years,
when I couldn't be bothered to find the bathroom, I'd often use one of
the previous night's beer bottles (once or twice I found myself
drinking all the way to my bed) when I had to take a leak.

Within a week or two, a layer of mold will grow on the top of the
liquid. Sometimes it just gets cloudy though.

Sam
July 25th 03, 04:36 AM
With ambassadors like this, it is no wonder cyclists in the US are seen as
assholes.

"Kurgan Gringioni" > wrote in
message t...

> "Thomas Mairs" > wrote in message
> > Hello people - I found you ( not that you were lost ) I knew that some
> where
> > on USENET there was an NG discussing the tour.
> > I am not a bike rider but I appreciate the effort anyways here is my
> > question
> >
> > I notice that during the race the riders throwing away their water
> bottles -
> > Question about how many bottles do they go thru? per stage? per the
whole
> > tour?
>

> The water bottles that they drink out of, they keep.
>
> The ones they throw away are the ones they peed into. I'll guess that
since
> the average stage is 5-6 hours, they pee twice per stage. Therefore, ~18
> mass start stages multiplied by an average of 170 riders per stage
(started
> with 198, whittled down to 140 some) = ~3000 water bottles that have been
> peed in and thrown away.
>
> The French fans like the TdF so much that they pick up bottles even if
> they've been peed in. I guess you can just pour it out into the toilet and
> wash the bottle - pee is sterile right?
>

> glad to be of help,
>

> K. Gringioni

Pete
July 25th 03, 04:38 AM
"Dashi Toshii" > wrote in message

> Kurgan Gringioni AKA Bob Roll!
>
> Dashii

Nope. Bob Roll has more teeth than Gringioni. And he's way prettier.

Pete

Kurgan Gringioni
July 25th 03, 06:36 AM
"Sam" > wrote in message
> With ambassadors like this, it is no wonder cyclists in the US are seen as
> assholes.

Goddamm, you are a dense dumbass.

That is because we *are* assholes.

have a nice day.