PDA

View Full Version : what's your pre-race meal?

Richard
April 8th 05, 08:23 AM
Hi,

I was so surprised/grateful/impressed by all the help I got to my question
about entering my first crit, that I thought I'd press my luck with another
question.

Do you have a special meal the day before the race or the morning of the
race?

I'm prolly equally clueless about a performance diet as I am about bike
racing.

My race day (crit in the afternoon) plan is to eat a few three-minute eggs
(I like 'em anyway) and several pieces of toast w/margarine & jam till I
feel comfortably full. Then banana & oranges around noon. Race is 2 hrs
later and I thought I'd take a power gel at the start and have one ready to
go mid-race.

Am I a dumbass yet?

Thanks again if you can share some advice.

Richard
(cat 5 with anxiety)

Myfirstname Mylastname
April 8th 05, 08:56 AM
"Richard" > writes:

> Hi,
>
> I was so surprised/grateful/impressed by all the help I got to my question
> about entering my first crit, that I thought I'd press my luck with another
> question.
>
> Do you have a special meal the day before the race or the morning of the
> race?
>
> I'm prolly equally clueless about a performance diet as I am about bike
> racing.
>
> My race day (crit in the afternoon) plan is to eat a few three-minute eggs
> (I like 'em anyway) and several pieces of toast w/margarine & jam till I
> feel comfortably full. Then banana & oranges around noon. Race is 2 hrs
> later and I thought I'd take a power gel at the start and have one ready to
> go mid-race.
>
> Am I a dumbass yet?

You sure are.

Is the crit a part of the Local Gay Games by the way?

If so don't forget to pick up your pink tights at the Dry Cleaners

John Forrest Tomlinson
April 8th 05, 12:31 PM
On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 00:23:48 -0700, "Richard"
> wrote:

>My race day (crit in the afternoon) plan is to eat a few three-minute eggs
>(I like 'em anyway) and several pieces of toast w/margarine & jam

I don't know how ths relates to performance, but to health: avoid
margarine. Use butter or a simple oil. Margarine has trans fats, the
long-term consumption of which is increasingly associated with health
problems.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

John Forrest Tomlinson
April 8th 05, 12:55 PM
On 08 Apr 2005 03:56:03 -0400, Myfirstname Mylastname
> wrote:

>Is the crit a part of the Local Gay Games by the way?
>
>If so don't forget to pick up your pink tights at the Dry Cleaners

You're a jackass.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

Tim Mullin
April 8th 05, 05:41 PM
"Richard" > wrote in
:

> My race day (crit in the afternoon) plan is to eat a few three-minute eggs
> (I like 'em anyway) and several pieces of toast w/margarine & jam till I
> feel comfortably full. Then banana & oranges around noon. Race is 2 hrs
> later and I thought I'd take a power gel at the start and have one ready to
> go mid-race.
>
> Am I a dumbass yet?

Yes, you are. You're overthinking this. It's a Cat 5 crit, right? So, what,
maybe 30-40 minutes at most? Just don't eat for an hour or so before the
race, put some Gatorade in your bottle, and don't forget to drink during the
race. You'll be fine.

ODH_Bikes
April 8th 05, 06:50 PM
My favorite is Galaxy Granola www.galaxygranola.com w/ bananas for breakfast...maybe a whole wheat bagel (you want to avoid starch) w/ jam. Coffee of course.

I don't start w/ the energy food till I am on the bike, in a crit all I can hope to get down is a gu or 2. Anything longer than 75 min and I need a cliff bar about every hour. The trick is to start eating before you need to, I try to get something down within the first 20-30 min of a race.

Find a drink that works well for you, I cramp really fast if my drink is too strong, so I stick w/ Gu02 when racing. Lots of my friends swear by Revenge.

Jim Phelps
April 12th 05, 02:52 AM
Mine is an Egg McMuffin and a large diet Coke. Buurp
"ODH_Bikes" > wrote in message

> My favorite is Galaxy Granola www.galaxygranola.com w/ bananas for
> breakfast...maybe a whole wheat bagel (you want to avoid starch) w/
> jam. Coffee of course.
>
> I don't start w/ the energy food till I am on the bike, in a crit all I
> can hope to get down is a gu or 2. Anything longer than 75 min and I
> need a cliff bar about every hour. The trick is to start eating before
> you need to, I try to get something down within the first 20-30 min of a
> race.
>
> Find a drink that works well for you, I cramp really fast if my drink
> is too strong, so I stick w/ Gu02 when racing. Lots of my friends
> swear by Revenge.
>

> --
> ODH_Bikes

Bleet Norf
April 13th 05, 01:32 AM
"I logged a lot of miles training for that day. And I downed a lot of
donuts. Little Chocolate Donuts. They taste good, and they've got the
sugar I need to get me going in the morning. That's why Little Chocolate
Donuts have been on my training table since I was a kid."

Jim Phelps wrote:
> Mine is an Egg McMuffin and a large diet Coke. Buurp
> "ODH_Bikes" > wrote in message
>
>>My favorite is Galaxy Granola www.galaxygranola.com w/ bananas for
>>breakfast...maybe a whole wheat bagel (you want to avoid starch) w/
>>jam. Coffee of course.
>>
>>I don't start w/ the energy food till I am on the bike, in a crit all I
>>can hope to get down is a gu or 2. Anything longer than 75 min and I
>>need a cliff bar about every hour. The trick is to start eating before
>>you need to, I try to get something down within the first 20-30 min of a
>>race.
>>
>>Find a drink that works well for you, I cramp really fast if my drink
>>is too strong, so I stick w/ Gu02 when racing. Lots of my friends
>>swear by Revenge.
>>

>>--
>>ODH_Bikes

Ken Very Big Liar
April 14th 05, 04:08 PM
"Bleet Norf" > wrote in message
> "I logged a lot of miles training for that day. And I downed a lot of
> donuts. Little Chocolate Donuts. They taste good, and they've got the
> sugar I need to get me going in the morning. That's why Little Chocolate
> Donuts have been on my training table since I was a kid."

....complete with cigarette?

I die from side stitches everytime I even think of that sketch.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home