PDA

View Full Version : Kunich, Lafferty, Chang should get 4 years

crit PRO
April 8th 05, 07:23 PM
The RBR dopes should get 4 years for stupid posting. (Kunich, Lafferty,
Chang, Papai, all fake chick pros, etc....)

Judge Sentences Spammer to Nine Years

By MATTHEW BARAKAT
Associated Press Writer
Published April 8, 2005, 11:33 AM CDT

LEESBURG, Va. -- A Virginia judge sentenced a spammer to nine years in
prison Friday in the nation's first felony prosecution for sending junk
e-mail, though the sentence was postponed while the case is appealed.

Loudoun County Circuit Judge Thomas Horne said that because the law
targeting bulk e-mail distribution is new and raises constitutional
questions, it was appropriate to defer the prison time until appeals
courts rule.

A jury had recommended the nine-year prison term after convicting
Jeremy Jaynes of pumping out at least 10 million e-mails a day with the
help of 16 high-speed lines, the kind of Internet capacity a
1,000-employee company would need.

Jaynes, of Raleigh, N.C., told the judge that regardless of how the
appeal turns out, "I can guarantee the court I will not be involved in
the e-mail marketing business again."

The prosecutor, Lisa Hicks-Thomas, said she was pleased with the
sentence and confident that the law would be upheld on appeal.

"We're satisfied that the court upheld what 12 citizens of Virginia
determined was an appropriate sentence -- nine years in prison,"
Hicks-Thomas said.

Defense attorney David Oblon argued in court that nine years was far
too long given that Jaynes was charged as an out-of-state resident with
violating a Virginia law that had taken effect just two weeks before.

"We have no doubt that we will win on appeal," Oblon said outside
court. "Therefore any sentence is somewhat moot. Still, the sentence is
not what we recommended and we're disappointed."

Jaynes declined to talk to reporters. He remains under $1 million bond.

Though Oblon has never disputed that his client was a bulk e-mail
distributor, he argued during the trial that the law was poorly crafted
and that prosecutors never proved the e-mail was unsolicited. He also
has said the law is an unconstitutional infringement of free speech.

Under Virginia law, sending unsolicited bulk e-mail itself is not a
crime unless the sender masks his identity. Prosecutors brought the
case in Virginia because it is home to America Online Inc., the leading
Internet service provider.

Prosecutors have described Jaynes as among the top 10 spammers in the
world at the time of his arrest, using the name "Gaven Stubberfield"
and other aliases to peddle junk products and pornography. Prosecutors
say he grossed up to $750,000 per month.

The jury also convicted Jaynes's sister, Jessica DeGroot of Raleigh,
but recommended only a $7,500 fine. Her conviction was later dismissed
by the judge. A third defendant, Richard Rutkowski of Cary, N.C., was
acquitted of all charges.

Curtis L. Russell
April 8th 05, 07:55 PM
On 8 Apr 2005 11:23:20 -0700, "crit PRO" > wrote:

>The RBR dopes should get 4 years for stupid posting. (Kunich, Lafferty,
>Chang, Papai, all fake chick pros, etc....)

And the sentence for anyone coming to any news group expecting even
occasional flashes of brilliance should be what? You need to do
something about managing expectations. If you can get an expectoration
manager at the same time, that would be a good thing.

OTOH, anyone that thinks they are posting brilliant posts perhaps
should be sentenced to something. Maybe another 4 years on rbr.

Curtis L. Russell
I aim for drivel and really don't give a rat's ass if I fall short

k.papai
April 9th 05, 12:01 AM
I go by Sausalito Starbuck's -- morning and evening and you are a Big
Talking No Show. Talk is Cheap and we need no further proof than you
(what our governor would call a 'girlie man')!

Signed, Ken.

k.papai
April 9th 05, 12:01 AM
I go by (on 2 wheels) Sausalito Starbuck's -- morning and evening and
you are a Big Talking No Show. Talk is Cheap and we need no further
proof than you (what our governor would call a 'girlie man')!

Signed, Ken

DA74
April 9th 05, 02:13 AM
k.papai wrote:
> Typical whiny drivel that contributes nothing to rbr

I-I th-thought I-I t-ttold y-you t-to sh-shut y-your papai h-hole?
I-It's b-been n-nice h-here l-lately w-without y-you.
-D-DA74

Tim Lines
April 9th 05, 05:20 AM
Curtis L. Russell wrote:
> On 8 Apr 2005 11:23:20 -0700, "crit PRO" > wrote:
>

>>The RBR dopes should get 4 years for stupid posting. (Kunich, Lafferty,
>>Chang, Papai, all fake chick pros, etc....)
>

> And the sentence for anyone coming to any news group expecting even
> occasional flashes of brilliance should be what? You need to do
> something about managing expectations. If you can get an expectoration
> manager at the same time, that would be a good thing.
>
> OTOH, anyone that thinks they are posting brilliant posts perhaps
> should be sentenced to something. Maybe another 4 years on rbr.

That would be unconstitutional.

> Curtis L. Russell
> I aim for drivel and really don't give a rat's ass if I fall short

I'm sure your posts would improve a bunch if you started acting like you
know more than everyone else.

Curtis L. Russell
April 9th 05, 03:25 PM
On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 21:20:29 -0700, Tim Lines
> wrote:

>> Curtis L. Russell
>> I aim for drivel and really don't give a rat's ass if I fall short
>
>I'm sure your posts would improve a bunch if you started acting like you
>know more than everyone else.

OTOH, you can't imagine my sense of accomplishment when I aim for
drivel and it comes out drivel. Its that managing expectations again.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

k.papai
April 9th 05, 09:48 PM
Same thing goes for sissies like DA74:
....someone who has never achieved anything beyond junior high school
and still maintains adolescent tendencies in all things in life.

Sad people: DA74, Crit pro, magilla and a few others. Sad and not
racing or riding and juvenile/haters. If you could back it up you
would, otherwise what is your point? Say it to my face please if you
can.

-Ken

Tim Lines
April 10th 05, 12:10 AM
Curtis L. Russell wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 21:20:29 -0700, Tim Lines
> > wrote:
>

>>>Curtis L. Russell
>>>I aim for drivel and really don't give a rat's ass if I fall short
>>
>>I'm sure your posts would improve a bunch if you started acting like you
>>know more than everyone else.
>

> OTOH, you can't imagine my sense of accomplishment when I aim for
> drivel and it comes out drivel. Its that managing expectations again.

Sure. I was recommending another way of managing expectations which
involves producing drivel but convincing yourself you're Shakespeare.
That works too.

Or you could do it my way, I have no expectations at all right now.
Earlier today I was convinced I'd broken my neck for a tenth of a second
or so. But no, just bent a wheel and a frame, ruined a Giro Pneumo, ,
rolled off into the grass (my bike was back there still), shouted a few
cuss words and got up and walked away. Others were less lucky. So I'm
good. Anything can happen and I'm fine.

"What honey? You've spent the tax return? Cool! Guess what? My neck
isn't broken! Isn't that great!?!"

crit PRO
April 10th 05, 06:05 AM
Gosh....can I ride with you?

Tim Lines
April 10th 05, 05:11 PM
crit PRO wrote:
> Gosh....can I ride with you?

I think you should probably stick to needlepoint.

Donald Munro
April 11th 05, 10:28 AM

Tim Lines wrote:
> That would be unconstitutional.

Don't they force the inmates at Guantanamo to read rbr if they
refuse to confess ?

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home