PDA

View Full Version : Thankfully, crash did NOT decide the tour

velojim
July 26th 03, 04:12 PM
Sorry to see Jan crash but it certainly did not decide the tour. The warm
weather was to Jan's advantage all tour - today's rain was to everyone's
disadvantage for sure.
I knew he'd do it!
Good for the USA! We'd never see this attention to the tour in the US if
not for LA.

Boyd Speerschneider
July 26th 03, 07:24 PM
"velojim" > wrote in news:YiOdnUBgT9tbB7-
:

<snip>

> Good for the USA! We'd never see this attention to the tour in the US if
> not for LA.

That's the most candid *and* most pathetic statement I've heard in quite some
time.

- Boyd S.

tomatohead
July 27th 03, 03:47 AM
Boyd Speerschneider > wrote in message >...
> "velojim" > wrote in news:YiOdnUBgT9tbB7-
> :
>
> <snip>
>
> > Good for the USA! We'd never see this attention to the tour in the US if
> > not for LA.
>
> That's the most candid *and* most pathetic statement I've heard in quite some
> time.

well, it's not really pathetic, it's just true.
cycling is a very traditional european sport.
you dont see hardly any blacks/orientals/middle-easterners at all.
american's have just never shown that much interest in the sport
either,
despite european heritage (though that is not so true anymore ! soon
blacks and hispanics may outnumber the number of americans of european
origin.).
but the whole drama of lance and cancer and trying to tie the record
has grapped peoples attention.
its good for the sport here in the u.s.
hopefully the interest will last.

> - Boyd S.

Boyd Speerschneider
July 27th 03, 05:42 PM
(tomatohead) wrote in
om:

> Boyd Speerschneider > wrote in message
>> "velojim" > wrote in news:YiOdnUBgT9tbB7-
>> :
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> > Good for the USA! We'd never see this attention to the tour in the
>> > US if not for LA.
>>
>> That's the most candid *and* most pathetic statement I've heard in
>> quite some time.
>
> well, it's not really pathetic, it's just true.
> cycling is a very traditional european sport.
> you dont see hardly any blacks/orientals/middle-easterners at all.
> american's have just never shown that much interest in the sport
> either,
> despite european heritage (though that is not so true anymore ! soon
> blacks and hispanics may outnumber the number of americans of european
> origin.).
> but the whole drama of lance and cancer and trying to tie the record
> has grapped peoples attention.
> its good for the sport here in the u.s.
> hopefully the interest will last.
>
>> - Boyd S.

I stand by my original statement.
Its pathetic when people follow a given sport only when someone of their
own nationality happens to be dominating.

- Boyd S.
fan of cycling and cyclists including but not limited to LA

Carl Sundquist
July 27th 03, 05:54 PM
"Boyd Speerschneider" > wrote in message

> I stand by my original statement.
> Its pathetic when people follow a given sport only when someone of their
> own nationality happens to be dominating.
>
> - Boyd S.
> fan of cycling and cyclists including but not limited to LA

How will Buccaneer attendance increase this year? How does it compare to the
Devil Rays?

Boyd Speerschneider
July 27th 03, 08:16 PM
"Carl Sundquist" > wrote in
:

> "Boyd Speerschneider" > wrote in message
>>
>> I stand by my original statement.
>> Its pathetic when people follow a given sport only when someone of
>> their own nationality happens to be dominating.
>>
>> - Boyd S.
>> fan of cycling and cyclists including but not limited to LA
>
> How will Buccaneer attendance increase this year? How does it compare to
> the Devil Rays?

Am I missing something?
WTF do Bucs and Rays attendence have to do with the TDF?
Neither of these teams compete against foreign teams, so that comparison is
shot down.
Also, if you are trying to make a point about band-wagon-jumping, you're
singing to the choir.

- Boyd S.

Carl Sundquist
July 27th 03, 10:52 PM
"Boyd Speerschneider" >
> >> I stand by my original statement.
> >> Its pathetic when people follow a given sport only when someone of
> >> their own nationality happens to be dominating.
> >>
> >> - Boyd S.
> >> fan of cycling and cyclists including but not limited to LA
> >
> > How will Buccaneer attendance increase this year? How does it compare to
> > the Devil Rays?
>
> Am I missing something?
> WTF do Bucs and Rays attendence have to do with the TDF?
> Neither of these teams compete against foreign teams, so that comparison
is
> shot down.

But yet the trend exists.

> Also, if you are trying to make a point about band-wagon-jumping, you're
> singing to the choir.
>
> - Boyd S.

Just trying to point out that nationality is not the motivating factor, it's
human nature.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home