PDA

View Full Version : tires?

guess who
July 26th 03, 11:01 PM
anyone know what kind of tires they used today and whether they were changed
for the rain?

Jiyang Chen
July 27th 03, 12:33 AM
umm... rain tires??

"guess who" > wrote in message
om...
> anyone know what kind of tires they used today and whether they were
changed
> for the rain?

Jiyang Chen
July 27th 03, 05:04 AM
Then why do they make tires for wet racing? Surely the extra traction helps
in corners.

Jiyang

"Antonio Sanchez" > wrote in message
> The same tires as in dry weather.
>
> The tire in a road bike is so narrow that it is not necessary to evacuate
> the water as in a car or motorcycle.
>
> "guess who" > escribió en el mensaje
> om...
> > anyone know what kind of tires they used today and whether they were
> changed
> > for the rain?

Carl Sundquist
July 27th 03, 03:33 PM
"guess who" > wrote in message om...
> anyone know what kind of tires they used today and whether they were changed
> for the rain?

Clément Grintas

Mark McMaster
July 28th 03, 12:44 AM
Jiyang Chen wrote:
> Then why do they make tires for wet racing? Surely the extra traction helps
> in corners.

They don't. They _sell_ tires for wet racing. These tires
are prettied up with fancy graphics, and have all sorts of
marketing claims laid on them. But in reality, they perform
no better (and often worse) than regular tires on wet roads.

Mark McMaster

> Jiyang
>
> "Antonio Sanchez" > wrote in message
>
>>The same tires as in dry weather.
>>
>>The tire in a road bike is so narrow that it is not necessary to evacuate
>>the water as in a car or motorcycle.
>>
>>"guess who" > escribió en el mensaje
om...

>>>anyone know what kind of tires they used today and whether they were
>>
>>changed
>>
>>>for the rain?

Art Harris
July 28th 03, 02:23 PM
Mark McMaster wrote:

> They don't. They _sell_ tires for wet racing. These tires
> are prettied up with fancy graphics, and have all sorts of
> marketing claims laid on them. But in reality, they perform
> no better (and often worse) than regular tires on wet roads.

I saw reports that in the last ITT Armstrong used 700 x 18(!) tires,
and Jan had Contis specially munufactured for low rolling resistance.
Both probably bad ideas considering the conditions.

Art Harris

warren
July 28th 03, 11:56 PM
In article >, Shayana
Kadidal > wrote:

> I heard that Armstrong was considering using a narrower tire on the
> front only. Given the early reports from his teammates, I'd be
> surprised if they went with it in the end.
>
> I've always heard that natural rubber tires (e.g. Continentals) are
> much better at maintaining traction in the rain than the typical
> synthetics.

Most of Conitinental's racing tires have silica added to the tread for
better grip.

-WG

Mark McMaster
July 29th 03, 01:42 AM
warren wrote:
> In article >, Shayana
> Kadidal > wrote:
>

>>I heard that Armstrong was considering using a narrower tire on the
>>front only. Given the early reports from his teammates, I'd be
>>surprised if they went with it in the end.
>>
>>I've always heard that natural rubber tires (e.g. Continentals) are
>>much better at maintaining traction in the rain than the typical
>>synthetics.
>

> Most of Conitinental's racing tires have silica added to the tread for
> better grip.

According to Continental's own literature, regular carbon
black rubber (not silica) gives the best grip in wet conditions:

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/general/innovation/asc_en.html

Mark McMaster

Fred Marx
July 29th 03, 01:45 AM
I watched the stage with a friend who has been in the "pits" in simialer
conditions and said the machanics were shiittting twinkies with all the
last minute changes of setup.... he even ventured that Jan's bike may
not have been setup to the exacting specs required.. but then we were
here in the states and not there so it's all speculation.

Mark McMaster wrote:

> warren wrote:
>
>> In article >, Shayana
>> Kadidal > wrote:
>>

>>> I heard that Armstrong was considering using a narrower tire on the
>>> front only. Given the early reports from his teammates, I'd be
>>> surprised if they went with it in the end.
>>>
>>> I've always heard that natural rubber tires (e.g. Continentals) are
>>> much better at maintaining traction in the rain than the typical
>>> synthetics.
>>

>> Most of Conitinental's racing tires have silica added to the tread for
>> better grip.
>

> According to Continental's own literature, regular carbon black rubber
> (not silica) gives the best grip in wet conditions:
>
> http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/general/innovation/asc_en.html
>

> Mark McMaster

James Cagney
July 29th 03, 03:42 AM
I spoke to an engineer at COnti - and he basically said, on a 20mm
piece of rubber, no tire will give you traction when it is wet.

Regardless of what they say, if it is wet, you are going down if you
push it - and yes, Lance went with the narrow front wheel.

John Forrest Tomlinson
July 29th 03, 12:13 PM
"James Cagney" > wrote in message
> I spoke to an engineer at COnti - and he basically said, on a 20mm
> piece of rubber, no tire will give you traction when it is wet.
>
> Regardless of what they say, if it is wet, you are going down if you
> push it - and yes, Lance went with the narrow front wheel.

So all tires are the same in terms of wet traction? Is that what you
and the engineer mean?

JT

NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com