PDA

View Full Version : Tour de France -- a new jersey

Sabers
July 28th 03, 12:31 AM
After watching Tyler Hamilton's performance this year, I think Le Tour
should add a new classification -- a red jersey, for the most
courageous rider on the Tour. It would not have to be awarded every
year, but if someone did something extraordinary did way Hamilton did,
it would be awarded in Paris.

Comments?

g.

Boyd Speerschneider
July 28th 03, 12:55 AM
(Sabers) wrote in news:c081f99c.0307271531.ba152c5
@posting.google.com:

> After watching Tyler Hamilton's performance this year, I think Le Tour
> should add a new classification -- a red jersey, for the most
> courageous rider on the Tour. It would not have to be awarded every
> year, but if someone did something extraordinary did way Hamilton did,
> it would be awarded in Paris.
>
> Comments?
>
> g.

This sounds rather silly as it is rather subjective.
Just my $0.02.

- Boyd S.

ps. If they had this classification this year, my vote would not go to Tyler,
but to Axel Merckx, who ascended the last mountain in one stage knowing he
was all ready outside of the time cut, yet finished anyway.

henry
July 28th 03, 02:07 AM
Main Entry: as·cend
Pronunciation: &-'send
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin ascendere, from ad- + scandere to
climb

> I'm not sure I get how going down a mountain side...

> > ...but to Axel Merckx, who ascended the last mountain in one stage
knowing he
> > was all ready outside of the time cut, yet finished anyway.

Jason B
July 28th 03, 02:12 AM
henry wrote:
> Main Entry: as·cend
> Pronunciation: &-'send
> Function: verb
> Etymology: Middle English, from Latin ascendere, from ad- + scandere to
> climb
>

>>I'm not sure I get how going down a mountain side...
>

>>>...but to Axel Merckx, who ascended the last mountain in one stage
>>
> knowing he
>
>>>was all ready outside of the time cut, yet finished anyway.

Ooops! guess I flunk reading comprehension. I read that as _de_cend. my
bad. I'm strait of to the highest place I can find, and walk up it 100
times before hutling myself at the pavement below.

Dashi Toshii
July 28th 03, 03:50 AM
"Jason B" > wrote in message
> henry wrote:
> > Main Entry: as·cend
> > Pronunciation: &-'send
> > Function: verb
> > Etymology: Middle English, from Latin ascendere, from ad- + scandere to
> > climb
> >

> >>I'm not sure I get how going down a mountain side...

> > knowing he

> Ooops! guess I flunk reading comprehension. I read that as _de_cend. my
> bad. I'm strait of to the highest place I can find, and walk up it 100
> times before hutling myself at the pavement below.

Very excusable if English is not your native language.

Dashii

Just a Cyclist
July 28th 03, 04:18 AM
"Dashi Toshii" > wrote in message

> "Jason B" > wrote in message
> > henry wrote:
> > > Main Entry: as·cend
> > > Pronunciation: &-'send
> > > Function: verb
> > > Etymology: Middle English, from Latin ascendere, from ad- + scandere
> > > climb

> > > knowing he

> > Ooops! guess I flunk reading comprehension. I read that as _de_cend. my
> > bad. I'm strait of to the highest place I can find, and walk up it 100
> > times before hutling myself at the pavement below.
>
> Very excusable if English is not your native language.
>
> Dashii

Oh boy another loose English teacher .......who can not find work, so he
apply his trade on the newsgroup!

RZ
July 28th 03, 04:24 AM
"Just a Cyclist" > wrote in message

> "Dashi Toshii" > wrote in message

> > > Ooops! guess I flunk reading comprehension. I read that as _de_cend.
my
> > > bad. I'm strait of to the highest place I can find, and walk up it 100
> > > times before hutling myself at the pavement below.
> >
> > Very excusable if English is not your native language.
> >
> > Dashii
> > >

> Oh boy another loose English teacher .......who can not find work, so he
> apply his trade on the newsgroup!
applies his trade..

Jiyang Chen
July 28th 03, 05:07 AM
"RZ" > wrote in message

> "Just a Cyclist" > wrote in message

> my
> > >
> > > Very excusable if English is not your native language.
> > >
> > > Dashii
> > > >

> > Oh boy another loose English teacher .......who can not find work, so he
> > apply his trade on the newsgroup!
> applies his trade..
applies his trade...

lazysegall
July 28th 03, 05:26 AM
Sabers wrote:
> After watching Tyler Hamilton's performance this year, I think Le Tour
> should add a new classification -- a red jersey, for the most courageous
> rider on the Tour. It would not have to be awarded every year, but if
> someone did something extraordinary did way Hamilton did, it would be
> awarded in Paris.
> Comments?
> g.

There is already the prize for most combative rider. That is a pretty
vague description (usually vague enough to give it to a frenchman).
Hamilton could have gotten that award. Any other award for most
corageous can be given by Journalists, Organizations (like Jan got an
award for sportsmanship from the german olympic committee), or
Newsgroups.

Andrew Swan
July 28th 03, 09:23 AM
Jiyang Chen wrote:
> "RZ" > wrote in message

> scandere

> stage

>>my

> 100

>>>Oh boy another loose English teacher .......who can not find work, so he
>>>apply his trade on the newsgroup!
>>
>>applies his trade..
>
> applies his trade...

I think you all mean "plies his trade".

&roo

Ewoud Dronkert
July 28th 03, 11:32 AM
On 28 Jul 2003 14:16:13 +0950, lazysegall wrote:
>There is already the prize for most combative rider. That is a pretty
>vague description (usually vague enough to give it to a frenchman).

Bram de Groot (RAB) got it.

Ewoud Dronkert
July 28th 03, 12:25 PM
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:09:58 +0200, goulot wrote:
>"Ewoud Dronkert" > a écrit:
>> Bram de Groot (RAB) got it.
>
>That was for the last stage, Vino won the final prize .

Yes I see, I misunderstood it yesterday.

Thomas Lund
July 28th 03, 04:03 PM
But nevertheless Bram de Groot deserved a little something for the fireplace
shelf. Hope he'll be back next year.

Thomas

"Ewoud Dronkert" > skrev i en meddelelse
fn.de...
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:09:58 +0200, goulot wrote:
> >"Ewoud Dronkert" > a écrit:
> >> Bram de Groot (RAB) got it.
> >
> >That was for the last stage, Vino won the final prize .
>
> Yes I see, I misunderstood it yesterday.

Duke Robillard
July 28th 03, 04:48 PM
Sabers wrote:
> After watching Tyler Hamilton's performance this year, I think Le Tour
> should add a new classification -- a red jersey, for the most
> courageous rider on the Tour.

Maybe a Red Cross jersey?

:-)

Duke

AMG
July 28th 03, 05:17 PM
> > After watching Tyler Hamilton's performance this year, I think Le Tour
> > should add a new classification -- a red jersey, for the most
> > courageous rider on the Tour.
>
> Maybe a Red Cross jersey?

They could just wrap the winner in adhesive tape...

Steven L. Sheffield
July 29th 03, 02:01 PM
On 7/28/03 4:32 AM, in article
, "Ewoud Dronkert"
> wrote:

> On 28 Jul 2003 14:16:13 +0950, lazysegall wrote:
>> There is already the prize for most combative rider. That is a pretty
>> vague description (usually vague enough to give it to a frenchman).
>
> Bram de Groot (RAB) got it.

Nope ... Vinokourov got it ...

http://www.letour.com/2003/us/classements.oft?service=RaceServer&RaceType=TD
F&RaceYear=2003&StageNumber=2000&Language=ANG&StandingType=ICG

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

Google