PDA

View Full Version : Lance - Uphill Cadence

GreatCube
July 28th 03, 04:12 PM
Watching Armstrong out of the saddle on the climbs for extended
periods of time at those rpms is quite impressive. I don't seem to
recall him spending so much time out of saddle in previous years on
the hills at that cadence. Anyone have an idea if this observation is
accurate, and if so, what prompted the change? What is his cadence in
the hills (7-8% avg. grades), in and out of the saddle, the gearing
and crank lengths he is using . I tried to compare Armstrong's
cadence in and out of the saddle to Ullrich, and I would guestimate
about 10-15 rpms faster, but its tough to be precise. Would he switch
crank lengths for flat vs. hill stages?

Kudos to the OLN coverage this year - magnificent effort!! ( but get
rid of Gum for '04)

Java Man (Espressopithecus)
July 28th 03, 04:24 PM
In article >,
says...
> Watching Armstrong out of the saddle on the climbs for extended
> periods of time at those rpms is quite impressive. I don't seem to
> recall him spending so much time out of saddle in previous years on
> the hills at that cadence. Anyone have an idea if this observation is
> accurate, and if so, what prompted the change?

I thought the opposite. I didn't think he spent as much time out of the
saddle at high cadence this year as last.

Rick

GreenvilleArt
July 28th 03, 11:07 PM
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 08:12:12 -0700, GreatCube wrote:

> Watching Armstrong out of the saddle on the climbs for extended periods of
> time at those rpms is quite impressive. I don't seem to recall him
> spending so much time out of saddle in previous years on the hills at that
> cadence. Anyone have an idea if this observation is accurate, and if so,
> what prompted the change? <gratuitous gum snip>

He says he had tendinitis from new cleats and shoes.

Philip W. Moore , Jr.
July 29th 03, 03:18 AM
I did notice than Lance was out of the saddle an awful lot more than he was
in years past, especially in 2001 and 2002. Lance would sit quite a bit,
and only stand when he was attacking or off the front. Maybe he stood more
because he was more gaunt this year...which was obvious in that he could
pick a lock with his cheek bones!!!

But whatever...he won and now Greg Lemond must be hating life (he said last
year that he won four tours because he allowed Hinault to beat him one
year).

"GreatCube" > wrote in message
om...
> Watching Armstrong out of the saddle on the climbs for extended
> periods of time at those rpms is quite impressive. I don't seem to
> recall him spending so much time out of saddle in previous years on
> the hills at that cadence. Anyone have an idea if this observation is
> accurate, and if so, what prompted the change? What is his cadence in
> the hills (7-8% avg. grades), in and out of the saddle, the gearing
> and crank lengths he is using . I tried to compare Armstrong's
> cadence in and out of the saddle to Ullrich, and I would guestimate
> about 10-15 rpms faster, but its tough to be precise. Would he switch
> crank lengths for flat vs. hill stages?
>
> Kudos to the OLN coverage this year - magnificent effort!! ( but get
> rid of Gum for '04)

lazysegall
July 29th 03, 04:01 AM
Paul sherwin commented very often that Lance was out of the saddle more
than usual. I think he was. One explanation is that lance just was in
worse shape. In the past Lance got out of the saddle while attacking,
i.e. when he was putting in maxiumum effort. In this tour, armstrongs
maximum effort might have been more often when staying with the group.
The other possibilty is that Lance had an injury from the fall in stage
1 or prior to the tour...If lance had a back injury or something he
might be more comfortable out of the saddle.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home