> Effective immediately.

Dumbass -

****, he retired immediately after his WC win.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Wayne Grow
April 26th 05, 11:06 PM
> Effective immediately.

I'm looking forward to shopping in the shoe store he has planned.

MyFirstname MyLastName
April 27th 05, 12:01 AM
"Wayne Grow" > writes:

> > Effective immediately.
>
> I'm looking forward to shopping in the shoe store he has planned.

I hear Sheryl Crow is gonna put in a topless appearance at the Grande Opening

--
Regards,
Ila Kutcherkokoff

Fred Marx
April 27th 05, 03:25 AM
MyFirstname MyLastName wrote:
> "Wayne Grow" > writes:
>

>>>Effective immediately.
>>
>> I'm looking forward to shopping in the shoe store he has planned.
>

> I hear Sheryl Crow is gonna put in a topless appearance at the Grande Opening

oww my eyes..........

sonarrat
April 27th 05, 04:33 AM
Bob Schwartz wrote:
> Ewoud Dronkert > wrote:
>
>>Effective immediately.
>

> He should have antedated it.
>
> Bob Schwartz

POTM

garau
April 27th 05, 10:35 AM
I really started paying attention to racing in early 2002, which saw il re
leone win San Remo. At that point, most of the press was about the fashion
choice of his 'Zebra train.' Then Cipo won some Giro stages, had a big media
snit about being overlooked again for the tour, threaten to quit, and then
win the World Championships in Zolder. Maybe 'cause I started watching and
reading in what had to be his best year, I took to him and his rolling
caravan.

By Giro 2003, it was becoming clear that he wasn't in the WC form even he'd
hoped for, but I've no doubt that he relishes winning stages #41 & 42. That
alone was reason for continuing into 2003, so I don't understand the folks
that say he should've ended 'on top' at Zolder.

Then I watched him race (okay, labor) in Georgia in '04. I had a chance to
get a photo of him and sign my 4 yr old son's shirt. No disrespect to Lance,
but Cipo was THE star at the Tour de Georgia that year. He was out there
gladhanding folks and all smiles after even the grueling stages and made
time for person after person. I already knew that Cipo was a marketer's
dream, but I never expected such a fine embassador for the sport.

All that's is to cast one more lot into the pile of info most folks already
know: the sport will be lessened by Cipollini's absence. I know I was eager
to see him try and snag at least one more Giro stage away from Ale-jet, let
alone what madness would he bring to the prologue this time around.

Ciao, Cipo i gratzi!

-Kris Garau

Curtis L. Russell
April 27th 05, 02:02 PM
On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:35:07 GMT, "garau" >
wrote:

>All that's is to cast one more lot into the pile of info most folks already
>know: the sport will be lessened by Cipollini's absence. I know I was eager
>to see him try and snag at least one more Giro stage away from Ale-jet, let
>alone what madness would he bring to the prologue this time around.

I think he had illusions of it being a two person contest in the
sprints at the Giro, which probably appealed to the dramatic in him.
The pro tour is brining more talent into the Giro sprints and being
one of several trying to chase Ale-jet is no where as dramatic and he
decided to sign off. Losing several sprints to Ale-jet is one
generation making the final hand-off to the next, especially if he did
win one. Being beat by several other sprinters is just losing.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

April 27th 05, 07:28 PM
wrote:

>I really started paying attention to racing in early 2002, which saw il re
>leone win San Remo. At that point, most of the press was about the fashion
>choice of his 'Zebra train.' Then Cipo won some Giro stages, had a big media
>snit about being overlooked again for the tour, threaten to quit, and then
>win the World Championships in Zolder. Maybe 'cause I started watching and
>reading in what had to be his best year, I took to him and his rolling
>caravan.
>
>By Giro 2003, it was becoming clear that he wasn't in the WC form even he'd
>hoped for, but I've no doubt that he relishes winning stages #41 & 42. That
>alone was reason for continuing into 2003, so I don't understand the folks
>that say he should've ended 'on top' at Zolder.
>
>Then I watched him race (okay, labor) in Georgia in '04. I had a chance to
>get a photo of him and sign my 4 yr old son's shirt. No disrespect to Lance,
>but Cipo was THE star at the Tour de Georgia that year. He was out there
>gladhanding folks and all smiles after even the grueling stages and made
>time for person after person. I already knew that Cipo was a marketer's
>dream, but I never expected such a fine embassador for the sport.
>
>All that's is to cast one more lot into the pile of info most folks already
>know: the sport will be lessened by Cipollini's absence. I know I was eager
>to see him try and snag at least one more Giro stage away from Ale-jet, let
>alone what madness would he bring to the prologue this time around.
>
>Ciao, Cipo i gratzi!
>
>-Kris Garau

The giro wil really feel cipo's absence this year, like last year with
Pantani. I remember watching the stage on the Mortirolo, and the
pantani fans were out there with banners and posters and flags,
cheering as if he were in the race. It was terribly sad actually, like
he was Banquo's ghost hovering over everything. But I realized that as
far as the fans were concerned, he was not dead.

I think in a lot of ways, Cipo and Pantani really helped the giro
become more popular in recent years, because they were so hugely
popular with the fans, especially since Pantani won the Tour. Fans
seemed to show up just to see them, even when Pantani wasn't doing so
well or Cipo bailed out. I remember Phil and Paul describing how when
Cipo or Pantani got up to sign in, they got the hugest cheers of all.
They did a lot for the giro, in spite of all the other stuff that
happened. But Cipo was a great ambassador, as you said, because his
reputation was pretty clean. I saw the TDG last year and it was
obvious that Cipo was really the center of attention, maybe even more
than Lance, the crowds just loved him.

I am really disappointed that he wont' be in the giro- I was really
looking forward to seeing him do a prologue in another wacky skinsuit!
I guess, all we'll see will be his name painted on the road with big
hearts around it like Pantani last year. "Grazi, Cipo!"

Kurgan Gringioni
April 27th 05, 07:42 PM
garau wrote:

> By Giro 2003, it was becoming clear that he wasn't in the WC form
even he'd
> hoped for, but I've no doubt that he relishes winning stages #41 &
42. That
> alone was reason for continuing into 2003, so I don't understand the
folks
> that say he should've ended 'on top' at Zolder.

<snip>

Dumbass -

It's not that he should have quit after Zolder, it's that he started
slacking (even more than usual) after Zolder.

When he put the saddle time in, he was inspirational (Ghent-Wevelgem of
that year). When he didn't, he was a male prima donna.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Dave H
April 28th 05, 03:12 AM
"Curtis L. Russell" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:35:07 GMT, "garau" >
> wrote:
>
> >All that's is to cast one more lot into the pile of info most folks
already
> >know: the sport will be lessened by Cipollini's absence. I know I was
eager
> >to see him try and snag at least one more Giro stage away from Ale-jet,
let
> >alone what madness would he bring to the prologue this time around.
>
> I think he had illusions of it being a two person contest in the
> sprints at the Giro, which probably appealed to the dramatic in him.
> The pro tour is brining more talent into the Giro sprints and being
> one of several trying to chase Ale-jet is no where as dramatic and he
> decided to sign off. Losing several sprints to Ale-jet is one
> generation making the final hand-off to the next, especially if he did
> win one. Being beat by several other sprinters is just losing.

Nipplehead,
Yeah I'm sure he sat at home and said "oh **** Petacchi will be at the Giro,
I better quit now"
I sure it has more to do with him pretty much accomplishing what he has as a
cyclist, getting older and wanting more from his life.
Dave

Scott
April 28th 05, 09:57 PM
Dave H wrote:
> "Curtis L. Russell" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:35:07 GMT, "garau" >
> > wrote:
> >
> > >All that's is to cast one more lot into the pile of info most
folks
> already
> > >know: the sport will be lessened by Cipollini's absence. I know I
was
> eager
> > >to see him try and snag at least one more Giro stage away from
Ale-jet,
> let
> > >alone what madness would he bring to the prologue this time
around.

> > I think he had illusions of it being a two person contest in the
> > sprints at the Giro, which probably appealed to the dramatic in
him.
> > The pro tour is brining more talent into the Giro sprints and being
> > one of several trying to chase Ale-jet is no where as dramatic and
he
> > decided to sign off. Losing several sprints to Ale-jet is one
> > generation making the final hand-off to the next, especially if he
did
> > win one. Being beat by several other sprinters is just losing.
>

> Nipplehead,
> Yeah I'm sure he sat at home and said "oh **** Petacchi will be at
the Giro,
> I better quit now"
> I sure it has more to do with him pretty much accomplishing what he
has as a
> cyclist, getting older and wanting more from his life.
> Dave

D'oh... read what he wrote... it's not that Petacchi will be there,
it's that lot's of others will be there, too.

I'm not saying I agree with Curtis's assessment. I actually think you
may be right, he's just ready to stop.

I've got a hunch that there may have been some backroom discussions w/
management about the possibility of non-selection for lack of fitness,
change of team goals, whatever. Perhaps Cipo was going to be left off
the team, and rather than face that sort of humiliation, he retired,
instead. (pure speculation on my part, of course)

bikeguy11968
April 29th 05, 01:45 AM
Bottom line this one. Cipo was the man. A total gigolo. Leaves the Giro
to judge the Miss Italy pagent. He's the man. There will never be
another, and the sport is saddened at his leaving.

Alex Rodriguez
April 29th 05, 03:51 PM
In article >,
says...

>Then I watched him race (okay, labor) in Georgia in '04. I had a chance to
>get a photo of him and sign my 4 yr old son's shirt. No disrespect to Lance,
>but Cipo was THE star at the Tour de Georgia that year. He was out there
>gladhanding folks and all smiles after even the grueling stages and made
>time for person after person. I already knew that Cipo was a marketer's
>dream, but I never expected such a fine embassador for the sport.

This is the type of racer who even after they stop racing can easily continue a
career in the cycling business. They understand that it is the fans that pay
their salary and they do what they can to keep the fans happy. His good looks
will also help him get more endorsements. Too bad so many US athletes don't
understand this and think their bad boy attitude will carry them forever,
which is obviously not the case.
---------------
Alex

Ewoud Dronkert
May 6th 05, 08:07 PM
On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:28:30 -0400, wrote:
> I am really disappointed that he wont' be in the giro- I was really
> looking forward to seeing him do a prologue in another wacky skinsuit!

I read that he's still doing the prologue, 5 minutes before the first
official starter. Don't know what it's about, only saw this little fact.

--
Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/

Ryan Cousineau
May 7th 05, 04:58 AM
In article >,
Ewoud Dronkert > wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:28:30 -0400, wrote:
> > I am really disappointed that he wont' be in the giro- I was really
> > looking forward to seeing him do a prologue in another wacky skinsuit!
>
> I read that he's still doing the prologue, 5 minutes before the first
> official starter. Don't know what it's about, only saw this little fact.

Sounds like a "prologue of honour", with the precedent set by skiier
Hermann Maier's 2003 ride of the TdF prologue.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/cycling/photo_galleries/3047
320.stm

(second photo in the sequence)

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.

Ewoud Dronkert
May 7th 05, 09:57 AM
On Fri, 06 May 2005 20:58:01 -0700, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> Sounds like a "prologue of honour", with the precedent set by skiier
> Hermann Maier's 2003 ride of the TdF prologue.

Yes it is a "prologue of honour" of some sorts, but not like Maier's;
that one was to honour the centenary Tour and Maier was the circus act,
this one is to honour Cipollini, the great ambassador to the sport of
cycling. It has been offered by the Giro to Cipo as an opportunity to
say goodbye to the Italian crowd (and to get some extra headlines
themselves, no doubt).

Ah I see it has been picked up by all the news outlets now.

--
Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/

alex
May 7th 05, 10:56 PM
Yeah. And instead of doing it before, they did it just after (just after
Cunego). So Cipo got all the attention of the camera while the RAI was
interviewing Cunego (forget about the winner)

"Ewoud Dronkert" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 06 May 2005 20:58:01 -0700, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
>> Sounds like a "prologue of honour", with the precedent set by skiier
>> Hermann Maier's 2003 ride of the TdF prologue.
>
> Yes it is a "prologue of honour" of some sorts, but not like Maier's;
> that one was to honour the centenary Tour and Maier was the circus act,
> this one is to honour Cipollini, the great ambassador to the sport of
> cycling. It has been offered by the Giro to Cipo as an opportunity to
> say goodbye to the Italian crowd (and to get some extra headlines
> themselves, no doubt).
>
> Ah I see it has been picked up by all the news outlets now.
>

> --
> Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/
> Thunderbird E-mail and Newsgroups - http://gettbird.com/

Google