PDA

View Full Version : Re: Newbie question: Covering an attack?

Stan Cox
July 28th 03, 07:06 PM
"Steve Christensen" > wrote in message
> Stupid newbie question (no flames please).
>
> In watching the TDF there were times when someone would attack, and a team
would
> send a member forward to "cover" the attack, while the GC leader-captain
of the
> team would stay back with the pack.
>
> Since having somone on your wheel doesn't slow you down, just what is
> accomplished by this?
>
> All I can figure is that if the person covering the attack keeps up with
the
> attacker, rides his wheel, and doesn't pull, then you have little hope of
ever
> escaping from him, and he will be fresh enough to attack at the last
minute and
> beat you at the line. In which case you might figure why bother?
>
> Or am I missing something else?
>
> Steve Christensen

Nope Thats pretty much It :) Also having a man in the break removes the
responsibility to chase it down so by getting a man in the break you also
make your day easier

Stan Cox

Dominic Richens
July 28th 03, 08:13 PM
Steve Christensen wrote:
> All I can figure is that if the person covering the attack keeps up
> with the attacker, rides his wheel, and doesn't pull, then you have
> little hope of ever escaping from him, and he will be fresh enough to
> attack at the last minute and beat you at the line. In which case
> you might figure why bother?
>
> Or am I missing something else?

Nope, that's essentially it.

Now stop bothering us with your "stupid" questions, since you obviously have
all the answers :-) :-)

DiabloScott
July 28th 03, 08:25 PM
Steve Christens wrote:
> Stupid newbie question (no flames please).
> In watching the TDF there were times when someone would attack, and a
> team would send a member forward to "cover" the attack, while the GC
> leader-captain of the team would stay back with the pack.
> Since having somone on your wheel doesn't slow you down, just what is
> accomplished by this?
> All I can figure is that if the person covering the attack keeps up with
> the attacker, rides his wheel, and doesn't pull, then you have little
> hope of ever escaping from him, and he will be fresh enough to attack at
> the last minute and beat you at the line. In which case you might figure
> why bother?
> Or am I missing something else?
> Steve Christensen

There are some things a "coverer" can do to limit the success of the
breakaway and some things that would be unacceptable. It's OK to sit in
and mess up the rhythm a little bit by not pulling through when it's
your turn and making the other guys work around you. It's OK to just
suck wheel because your coach is in the car telling you not to work with
the break. It's OK to make the other guys think they'll never win the
group sprint because you've been sucking wheel all day so they may mess
up their own rhythm trying to get rid of you.

It's not OK to move up to the front and soft pedal or force other
members to take bad lines through turns - that'll earn you some
serious scorn.

--
Check out my bike blog!

http://diabloscott.blogspot.com