PDA

View Full Version : Phonak Phoning in the Giro

DA74
April 29th 05, 05:07 AM
Look at Phonak's Giro roster:

Tadej Valjavec
Aur=E8lien Clerc
Johann Tschopp
Uros Murn
Ignacio Gutierrez
Sascha Urweider
Gregory Rast
Daniel Schnider
Steve Zampieri

What a mess. Looks like they're saving Floyd for the show in July.
Problem is, he isn't TdF material yet. But I'll venture to say he's
definitely a Giro prospect. I think a podium at the Giro with him is
worth more than 10th-15th place at the TdF.
-DA74

jc
April 29th 05, 05:51 AM
DA74 wrote:
> Look at Phonak's Giro roster:
>
> Tadej Valjavec
> Aurèlien Clerc
> Johann Tschopp
> Uros Murn
> Ignacio Gutierrez
> Sascha Urweider
> Gregory Rast
> Daniel Schnider
> Steve Zampieri
>
> What a mess. Looks like they're saving Floyd for the show in July.
> Problem is, he isn't TdF material yet. But I'll venture to say he's
> definitely a Giro prospect. I think a podium at the Giro with him is
> worth more than 10th-15th place at the TdF.
> -DA74

Valjavec was ninth last year in the Giro, so at least they have some one
who might make top ten. But it's not an especially exciting list, I'd
have to agree.

sonarrat
April 29th 05, 06:22 AM
jc wrote:
> DA74 wrote:
>
>> Look at Phonak's Giro roster:
>>
>> Tadej Valjavec
>> Aurèlien Clerc
>> Johann Tschopp
>> Uros Murn
>> Ignacio Gutierrez
>> Sascha Urweider
>> Gregory Rast
>> Daniel Schnider
>> Steve Zampieri
>>
>> What a mess. Looks like they're saving Floyd for the show in July.
>> Problem is, he isn't TdF material yet. But I'll venture to say he's
>> definitely a Giro prospect. I think a podium at the Giro with him is
>> worth more than 10th-15th place at the TdF.
>> -DA74
>>

> Valjavec was ninth last year in the Giro, so at least they have some one
> who might make top ten. But it's not an especially exciting list, I'd
> have to agree.

Well, I think it actually might be more interesting than it seems at
first. They're missing Robbie Hunter, Perdi, Landis, Guidi, Botero,
Santos Gonzalez, Pereiro, Victor Hugo Pena (injured), but even so, this
isn't quite the vacuum of talent that it might seem at first glance.
Uros Murn is occasionally interesting, Valjavec is definitely a spirited
racer, Zampieri was a long-time Garzelli henchman, and Clerc has had
some results.

The rest are pretty much there to make those four feel good by comparison.

-Sonarrat.

MyFirstname MyLastName
April 29th 05, 08:53 AM
"DA74" > writes:

> Look at Phonak's Giro roster:
>
> Tadej Valjavec
> Aurèlien Clerc
> Johann Tschopp
> Uros Murn
> Ignacio Gutierrez
> Sascha Urweider
> Gregory Rast
> Daniel Schnider
> Steve Zampieri
>
> What a mess. Looks like they're saving Floyd for the show in July.
> Problem is, he isn't TdF material yet. But I'll venture to say he's
> definitely a Giro prospect. I think a podium at the Giro with him is
> worth more than 10th-15th place at the TdF.
> -DA74

Right, you'd have to did deep to find a bunch of No Hoper, Never Wozzer,
Wannabees like that

--
Regards,
Ila Kutcherkokoff

Curtis L. Russell
April 29th 05, 02:27 PM
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 22:22:23 -0700, sonarrat >
wrote:

>Well, I think it actually might be more interesting than it seems at
>first. They're missing Robbie Hunter, Perdi, Landis, Guidi, Botero,
>Santos Gonzalez, Pereiro, Victor Hugo Pena (injured), but even so, this
>isn't quite the vacuum of talent that it might seem at first glance.
>Uros Murn is occasionally interesting, Valjavec is definitely a spirited
>racer, Zampieri was a long-time Garzelli henchman, and Clerc has had
>some results.
>
>The rest are pretty much there to make those four feel good by comparison.
>
>-Sonarrat.

If that was supposed to make us feel good about the team's prospects,
I'm not sure it worked. Makes it sound as if they have a good shot at
a place somewhere 7-10, because everyone else will let their team
leader catch all the breaks and go up the road. Guess there are
advantages to not being a podium threat.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Bob Schwartz
April 29th 05, 04:32 PM
DA74 > wrote:
> Look at Phonak's Giro roster:

> Tadej Valjavec
> Aur?lien Clerc
> Johann Tschopp
> Uros Murn
> Ignacio Gutierrez
> Sascha Urweider
> Gregory Rast
> Daniel Schnider
> Steve Zampieri

> What a mess. Looks like they're saving Floyd for the show in July.
> Problem is, he isn't TdF material yet. But I'll venture to say he's
> definitely a Giro prospect. I think a podium at the Giro with him is
> worth more than 10th-15th place at the TdF.
> -DA74

Lunch meat.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/c8bd67d745632301?hl=en

Bob Schwartz

And they won't be the only ones.

April 29th 05, 10:42 PM
sonarrat wrote:
> jc wrote:
> > DA74 wrote:
> >
> >> Look at Phonak's Giro roster:
> >>
> >> Tadej Valjavec
> >> Aur=E8lien Clerc
> >> Johann Tschopp
> >> Uros Murn
> >> Ignacio Gutierrez
> >> Sascha Urweider
> >> Gregory Rast
> >> Daniel Schnider
> >> Steve Zampieri
> >>

> They're missing Robbie Hunter, Perdi, Landis, Guidi, Botero,
> Santos Gonzalez, Pereiro, Victor Hugo Pena (injured

they're missing a few vowels too.

sonarrat
April 29th 05, 11:07 PM
Bob Schwartz wrote:
> DA74 > wrote:
>
>>Look at Phonak's Giro roster:
>

>>Tadej Valjavec
>>Aur?lien Clerc
>>Johann Tschopp
>>Uros Murn
>>Ignacio Gutierrez
>>Sascha Urweider
>>Gregory Rast
>>Daniel Schnider
>>Steve Zampieri
>

>>What a mess. Looks like they're saving Floyd for the show in July.
>>Problem is, he isn't TdF material yet. But I'll venture to say he's
>>definitely a Giro prospect. I think a podium at the Giro with him is
>>worth more than 10th-15th place at the TdF.
>>-DA74
>

> Lunch meat.
>
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/c8bd67d745632301?hl=en
>
> Bob Schwartz
>

> And they won't be the only ones.

"The Illes Balears-Caisse d'Epargne team has been selected for the Giro
d'Italia with the following riders:

Joan Horrach
Vicente Reynés
Toni Tauler
David Navas
José Luis Carrasco
Unai Osa
Vladimir Karpets
Sergi Escobar
Isaac Gálvez

Part lunch meat, to be sure, but Osa and Karpets are definitely part of
their A-list. And Galvez is a decent sprinter, so if Petacchi goes
kaboom there's a chance there too.

-Sonarrat.

April 30th 05, 01:15 AM
sonarrat wrote:

> "The Illes Balears-Caisse d'Epargne team has been selected for
> the Giro d'Italia with the following riders:
>
> Joan Horrach
> Vicente Reyn=E9s
> Toni Tauler
> David Navas
> Jos=E9 Luis Carrasco
> Unai Osa
> Vladimir Karpets
> Sergi Escobar
> Isaac G=E1lvez

Fellow Dumbasses,

There's why Cipollini retired. He couldn't face going to the Giro
and getting taken out by Galvez again, like on that wet corner
in 2003. That was ugly.

Cipo's real decline starts from there. In the 2003 Giro, he started
a notch behind Petacchi, but he did win the two stages before the
crash. The stage after the crash was the Zoncolan. Cipo didn't
start, and who could blame him. After that he never really showed
up again. I guess it wasn't worth it anymore.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home