PDA

View Full Version : Eki and Armstrong in a crash Eki out of Tour What about Armstrong?

cat6
April 30th 05, 07:41 PM
Viatcheslav Ekimov has had a nasty fall while training with Discovery
Channel teammate Lance Armstrong in Austin, Texas, which has put his
chances of riding the Tour de France in doubt. *The pair were riding
together on Thursday at midday when they were hit by a car.* Ekimov was
taken to hospital in Austin where he was diagnosed with a broken sternum
and a broken vertebrae.

His close friend Dirk Baert told Het Nieuwsblad, "I had him on the line
on Thursday night and Friday. He could barely talk because of the pain.
Slava hopes to transfer to St. Petersburg as quickly as possible. He
must wear a corset for six weeks. By that time, we'll already be
halfway through June. The chance that he will ride with Armstrong in
the Tour is very small."

if they were hit by a car, then what happened to armstrong?

--
cat6

April 30th 05, 08:00 PM
cat6 wrote:
> Viatcheslav Ekimov has had a nasty fall while training with Discovery
> Channel teammate Lance Armstrong in Austin, Texas, which has put his
> chances of riding the Tour de France in doubt. *The pair were riding
> together on Thursday at midday when they were hit by a car.* Ekimov
was
> taken to hospital in Austin where he was diagnosed with a broken
sternum
> and a broken vertebrae.
>
> His close friend Dirk Baert told Het Nieuwsblad, "I had him on the
line
> on Thursday night and Friday. He could barely talk because of the
pain.
> Slava hopes to transfer to St. Petersburg as quickly as possible. He
> must wear a corset for six weeks. By that time, we'll already be
> halfway through June. The chance that he will ride with Armstrong in
> the Tour is very small."
>

> if they were hit by a car, then what happened to armstrong?
>

> --
> cat6

April 30th 05, 08:01 PM
according to velo news, armstrong escaped injury. Which continues to
prove that LA has amazing luck.

April 30th 05, 08:04 PM
latest news: HOT! Eki Hurt in Training Crash - 4/30/2005

DEVELOPING: Viatcheslav "Eki" Ekimov was injured in a training crash
yesterday outside of Austin, TX. Eki was training with Lance - who did
not crash nor is he injured at all - when he went down. Contrary to
other reports, he was not hit by a car but apparently taken down by a
hole in the road. We'll have a full team report ASAP once all the facts
are known. More soon...

gwhite
April 30th 05, 09:00 PM
wrote:

> according to velo news, armstrong escaped injury. Which continues to
> prove that LA has amazing luck.

Yeah, that's what makes the 6-string so amazing, and if he nails 7,
absolutely stunning.

Avoiding "bad luck" including crashes, sickness, and other unfavorable
stuff unrelated to basic fitness, team strength, and team tactics, is
quite difficult in and of itself for such an extended string.

psycholist
May 1st 05, 01:04 AM
"gwhite" > wrote in message

> wrote:
>>
>> according to velo news, armstrong escaped injury. Which continues to
>> prove that LA has amazing luck.
>
> Yeah, that's what makes the 6-string so amazing, and if he nails 7,
> absolutely stunning.
>
> Avoiding "bad luck" including crashes, sickness, and other unfavorable
> stuff unrelated to basic fitness, team strength, and team tactics, is
> quite difficult in and of itself for such an extended string.

Yep. He's had such amazing luck ... testicular cancer that spread and
dotted his lungs and brain with tumors, etc. Amazing luck.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but we sometimes forget that. And in a way, it
did turn out to be amazing luck for Lance. It changed his psyche and his
body style and helped make him into a TdF champion. And, of course, there
will be some who say it gave him the pharmaceutical industry contacts that
helped make him the champion he is today. We'll see.

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

Howard Kveck
May 1st 05, 01:14 AM
In article >,
"psycholist" > wrote:

> "gwhite" > wrote in message
> >

> > wrote:
> >>
> >> according to velo news, armstrong escaped injury. Which continues to
> >> prove that LA has amazing luck.
> >
> > Yeah, that's what makes the 6-string so amazing, and if he nails 7,
> > absolutely stunning.
> >
> > Avoiding "bad luck" including crashes, sickness, and other unfavorable
> > stuff unrelated to basic fitness, team strength, and team tactics, is
> > quite difficult in and of itself for such an extended string.
>
> Yep. He's had such amazing luck ... testicular cancer that spread and
> dotted his lungs and brain with tumors, etc. Amazing luck.
>
> I'm not trying to be a dick, but we sometimes forget that. And in a way, it
> did turn out to be amazing luck for Lance. It changed his psyche and his
> body style and helped make him into a TdF champion. And, of course, there
> will be some who say it gave him the pharmaceutical industry contacts that
> helped make him the champion he is today. We'll see.

I think the "luck" Greg was referring to was pretty much in terms of the
race itself.

--
tanx,
Howard

Butter is love.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Jesse T
May 1st 05, 01:38 AM
cat6 > wrote:

> Slava
> hopes to transfer to St. Petersburg as quickly as possible.

Honestly, I know american health care is in rough shape, but
transferring to Russian health care? How insane is that?

Stewart Fleming
May 1st 05, 02:40 AM
Jesse T wrote:

> cat6 > wrote:
>

>>Slava
>>hopes to transfer to St. Petersburg as quickly as possible.
>

> Honestly, I know american health care is in rough shape, but
> transferring to Russian health care? How insane is that?

I'd be heading for Florida too if I had a bad injury.
Sun, sand, sexy babes on the beaches...

May 1st 05, 03:11 AM
On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 20:00:32 GMT, gwhite > wrote:

wrote:

>> according to velo news, armstrong escaped injury. Which continues to
>> prove that LA has amazing luck.
>
>Yeah, that's what makes the 6-string so amazing, and if he nails 7,
>absolutely stunning.
>
>Avoiding "bad luck" including crashes, sickness, and other unfavorable
>stuff unrelated to basic fitness, team strength, and team tactics, is
>quite difficult in and of itself for such an extended string.

I remember a few years ago, I think 2001, he was hit by a car and
broke vertebrae in his neck, and it was not long before the tour. But
he managed to recover in time- as we all know.

May 1st 05, 03:12 AM
On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 20:04:24 -0400, "psycholist" >
wrote:

>"gwhite" > wrote in message
>>

>> wrote:
>>>
>>> according to velo news, armstrong escaped injury. Which continues to
>>> prove that LA has amazing luck.
>>
>> Yeah, that's what makes the 6-string so amazing, and if he nails 7,
>> absolutely stunning.
>>
>> Avoiding "bad luck" including crashes, sickness, and other unfavorable
>> stuff unrelated to basic fitness, team strength, and team tactics, is
>> quite difficult in and of itself for such an extended string.
>
>Yep. He's had such amazing luck ... testicular cancer that spread and
>dotted his lungs and brain with tumors, etc. Amazing luck.
>
>I'm not trying to be a dick, but we sometimes forget that. And in a way, it
>did turn out to be amazing luck for Lance. It changed his psyche and his
>body style and helped make him into a TdF champion. And, of course, there
>will be some who say it gave him the pharmaceutical industry contacts that
>helped make him the champion he is today. We'll see.

Not to mention that he didn't croak!

sonarrat
May 1st 05, 03:16 AM
gwhite wrote:

> wrote:
>
>>according to velo news, armstrong escaped injury. Which continues to
>>prove that LA has amazing luck.
>

> Yeah, that's what makes the 6-string so amazing, and if he nails 7,
> absolutely stunning.
>
> Avoiding "bad luck" including crashes, sickness, and other unfavorable
> stuff unrelated to basic fitness, team strength, and team tactics, is
> quite difficult in and of itself for such an extended string.

Did someone hit him before the 2000 Olympics, or is my dad's memory
fuzzy (which wouldn't be the first time)?

-Sonarrat.

Tony
May 1st 05, 03:39 AM
sonarrat wrote in message ...
>gwhite wrote:
>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>according to velo news, armstrong escaped injury. Which continues to
>>>prove that LA has amazing luck.
>>

>> Yeah, that's what makes the 6-string so amazing, and if he nails 7,
>> absolutely stunning.
>>
>> Avoiding "bad luck" including crashes, sickness, and other unfavorable
>> stuff unrelated to basic fitness, team strength, and team tactics, is
>> quite difficult in and of itself for such an extended string.
>
>Did someone hit him before the 2000 Olympics, or is my dad's memory
>fuzzy (which wouldn't be the first time)?
>
>-Sonarrat.

The way I remember it he crashed into a car on a descent while training in
the hills above in Nice.

-Tony

NobodyMan
May 1st 05, 03:48 AM
On 30 Apr 2005 12:01:47 -0700, wrote:

>according to velo news, armstrong escaped injury. Which continues to
>prove that LA has amazing luck.

No, it shows what a dedicated domestique Eki is. He took on the car
to spare Lance being hit by it.........

Me
May 1st 05, 04:47 AM
On 4/30/05 7:48 PM, in article ,
"NobodyMan" > wrote:

> On 30 Apr 2005 12:01:47 -0700, wrote:
>
>> according to velo news, armstrong escaped injury. Which continues to
>> prove that LA has amazing luck.
>
> No, it shows what a dedicated domestique Eki is. He took on the car
> to spare Lance being hit by it.........

It was a POTHOLE

Tim Lines
May 1st 05, 05:08 AM
Me wrote:
> On 4/30/05 7:48 PM, in article ,
> "NobodyMan" > wrote:
>

>>On 30 Apr 2005 12:01:47 -0700, wrote:
>>

>>>according to velo news, armstrong escaped injury. Which continues to
>>>prove that LA has amazing luck.
>>
>>No, it shows what a dedicated domestique Eki is. He took on the car
>>to spare Lance being hit by it.........
>>

> It was a POTHOLE

Some people make a big deal out of every tiny, little difference. OK
then, he took on the pothole to spare Lance. Same thing, really.

psycholist
May 1st 05, 05:55 PM
"Tim Lines" > wrote in message
> Me wrote:
>> On 4/30/05 7:48 PM, in article
>> ,

>>>No, it shows what a dedicated domestique Eki is. He took on the car
>>>to spare Lance being hit by it.........
>>>

>> It was a POTHOLE
>>
> Some people make a big deal out of every tiny, little difference. OK
> then, he took on the pothole to spare Lance. Same thing, really.

Try getting an insurance settlement out of a pothole!

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

Alex Rodriguez
May 2nd 05, 07:26 PM
In article >,
says...

>cat6 > wrote:
>> Slava
>> hopes to transfer to St. Petersburg as quickly as possible.
>Honestly, I know american health care is in rough shape, but
>transferring to Russian health care? How insane is that?

Being close to your friends and family is the best medicine. So that is
what he is doing. You really don't think that the doctors in Russia are
all incompetent? I'm sure there are just as many quacks here in the US
as there are in Russia.
-------------
Alex

May 3rd 05, 12:30 AM
,

> >>No, it shows what a dedicated domestique Eki is. He took on the
car
> >>to spare Lance being hit by it.........
> >
> > It was a POTHOLE
> >
> Some people make a big deal out of every tiny, little difference. OK

> then, he took on the pothole to spare Lance. Same thing, really.

Yeah, but how do you hit a pothole? Has Lance forgot how to ride in a
group, listening to too much Sheryl Crow on his iPod and forgeting to
call attention to it?

Probably one of those Texas potholes, too, biggern' any you'll find
outside Texas.

Worst I've ever got was a few snakebite flats. Had to be quite a
crater.

For a lucky guy, Lance seems to take some real chances. No scooter, no
car, nobody checking out the road ahead?

Jesse T
May 3rd 05, 01:55 AM
Alex Rodriguez > wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
>
> >cat6 > wrote:
> >> Slava
> >> hopes to transfer to St. Petersburg as quickly as possible.
> >Honestly, I know american health care is in rough shape, but
> >transferring to Russian health care? How insane is that?
>
> Being close to your friends and family is the best medicine. So that is
> what he is doing. You really don't think that the doctors in Russia are
> all incompetent? I'm sure there are just as many quacks here in the US
> as there are in Russia.
> -------------
> Alex

It's not about quacks:

http://www.rand.org/publications/IP/IP162/

Perhaps the only genuine crisis aspect of current Russian demographic
trends appears in increased rates of mortality, which have been
especially dramatic among working-age men. In 1992, there was a sharp
increase in deaths from nonnatural causes. By 1994, mortality rates for
males between ages 15 and 64 were about twice as high as they had been
in 1986 (Figure 4).

Russia now has the lowest life expectancy for males in a developed
country (58 years) and the largest disparity in the world between male
and female life expectancy (13.5 years; see Figure 5).

As the command economy crumbled, the public-health sector plunged into a
financial crisis. The system found itself in an emerging market
environment without the capacity to function successfully in it. Left
without proper funding, health-care facilities were forced to abandon
new construction, renovation, and other basic investments. Cost cutting
necessitated switching to cheaper technologies, which proved
insufficient to maintain needed levels of care. Available funds were
frequently diverted to current needs. As a result, the health status of
the Russian population is deteriorating, and diseases long thought to be
eliminated or controlled--such as diphtheria--are now spreading again.

http://www.cdi.org/russia/johnson/7023-14.cfm

St. Petersburg Times
January 17, 2003

Russian Life Expectancy on Downward Trend

Feshbach said that the problem with life-expectancy rates has been
complicated by the increase in the incidence of old as well as new
diseases in Russia.

The number of reported cases of tuberculosis has risen by 70 percent
over the last five years, with 2.3 million cases registered in 2001, the
last year for which statistics are available.

The spread of AIDS is also a minor contributor, with Russia trailing
only certain African countries in the spread of HIV infection in recent
years. Although the official figure for the number of HIV-infected
Russians is 220,000, many experts say that the real figure is likely
five times higher, said Alla Davydova, a doctor at the St. Petersburg
AIDS Center.

Most of those infected are from 15 to 25 years old, with about 90
percent of them being intravenous-drug users.

Andreyev says that the poor state of Russia's health-care system remains
one of the biggest causes of the problem.
"Russian medicine is in need of financial reform," he said. "It's not
effective when an ambulance takes half an hour or more to arrive and the
doctors working with the ambulances lack essential tools for saving
people's lives."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2004-04-19-russia-aids_x.htm

A United Nations report released in February warned that AIDS, fueled by
the availability of cheap heroin from nearby Afghanistan, is now
spreading faster in the former Soviet Union than anywhere else in the
world. The study said one in 100 adults in Russia now have the virus,
an infection rate that trails only sub-Saharan Africa and the Caribbean.

Spread of the disease could dramatically increase Russia's already
alarming population decline and reduce gross domestic product by as much
as 1 percentage point a year, a significant hit.

• While Russia's economy has seen solid growth for the past five years,
the country's social service and medical facilities are in a shambles,
stretched thin from dealing with widespread problems with tuberculosis,
venereal disease and alcoholism.

Robert Chung
May 3rd 05, 06:05 AM
Jesse T cut-and-pasted:
> Russia now has [...] and the largest disparity in the world between male
> and female life expectancy (13.5 years; see Figure 5).

and

> health-care facilities were forced to abandon new construction,
> renovation, and other basic investments. Cost cutting necessitated
> switching to cheaper technologies, which proved insufficient to
> maintain needed levels of care.

Increasing male-female disparity in expectation of life means that the
medical portion of the healthcare system, even if forced to abandon new
investment and to switch to cheaper technologies, is almost surely not to
blame.

Tom Kunich
May 4th 05, 12:38 AM
"Robert Chung" > wrote in message
> Jesse T cut-and-pasted:
>> Russia now has [...] and the largest disparity in the world between male
>> and female life expectancy (13.5 years; see Figure 5).
>
> and
>
>> health-care facilities were forced to abandon new construction,
>> renovation, and other basic investments. Cost cutting necessitated
>> switching to cheaper technologies, which proved insufficient to
>> maintain needed levels of care.
>
> Increasing male-female disparity in expectation of life means that the
> medical portion of the healthcare system, even if forced to abandon new
> investment and to switch to cheaper technologies, is almost surely not to
> blame.

1/3rd of Russian men are heavy alcoholics.

William S. Harley
May 4th 05, 05:17 AM
.... and 2/3 of this newsgroup's readers don't care what you say Senor
kUnich. Stay Away

Bill
"Tom Kunich" > wrote in message
.net...
> "Robert Chung" > wrote in message
> > Jesse T cut-and-pasted:
> >> Russia now has [...] and the largest disparity in the world between
male
> >> and female life expectancy (13.5 years; see Figure 5).
> >
> > and
> >
> >> health-care facilities were forced to abandon new construction,
> >> renovation, and other basic investments. Cost cutting necessitated
> >> switching to cheaper technologies, which proved insufficient to
> >> maintain needed levels of care.
> >
> > Increasing male-female disparity in expectation of life means that the
> > medical portion of the healthcare system, even if forced to abandon new
> > investment and to switch to cheaper technologies, is almost surely not
> > blame.
>
> 1/3rd of Russian men are heavy alcoholics.

Tim Lines
May 4th 05, 03:28 PM
wrote:
<snip>

> Yeah, but how do you hit a pothole?

I wouldn't have thought this required a demonstration.

>Has Lance forgot how to ride in a
> group, listening to too much Sheryl Crow on his iPod and forgeting to
> call attention to it?

We don't have any details which means that, in the finest RBR tradition,
we should make them up. So:

Armstrong was drafting behind Eki while, as you say, listening to too
much Sheryl Crow. Not looking where he was going but that's OK cause if
he'd been trying to, all he would have seen was Eki's butt. Meanwhile,
Eki was flipping through his stash of nude Sheryl Crow pictures. Not
watching the road either. Then Eki ran WHAM! right into a "pothole"
("crater" for those outside Texas) and went down, scattering his stash
of Sheryl nudies all over the place. Lance bunnyhopped over Eki,
missing him entirely. Then Lance noticed the pictures. "What have you
been doing with MY WOMAN?" he roared. "Oh, that's pretty clear in this
picture", said Eki helpfully. Lance then tested the tensile strength of
OCLV 55 tubing on Eki's head.

And that's the way it happened.

May 4th 05, 07:05 PM
Tim Lines wrote:
> wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > Yeah, but how do you hit a pothole?
>
> I wouldn't have thought this required a demonstration.
>
> >Has Lance forgot how to ride in a
> > group, listening to too much Sheryl Crow on his iPod and forgeting
> > call attention to it?
> >

> We don't have any details which means that, in the finest RBR
tradition,
> we should make them up. So:
>
> Armstrong was drafting behind Eki while, as you say, listening to too

> much Sheryl Crow. Not looking where he was going but that's OK cause
if
> he'd been trying to, all he would have seen was Eki's butt.
Meanwhile,
> Eki was flipping through his stash of nude Sheryl Crow pictures. Not

> watching the road either. Then Eki ran WHAM! right into a "pothole"
> ("crater" for those outside Texas) and went down, scattering his
stash
> of Sheryl nudies all over the place. Lance bunnyhopped over Eki,
> missing him entirely. Then Lance noticed the pictures. "What have
you
> been doing with MY WOMAN?" he roared. "Oh, that's pretty clear in
this
> picture", said Eki helpfully. Lance then tested the tensile strength
of
> OCLV 55 tubing on Eki's head.
>
> And that's the way it happened.

Either that or Lance has been chugging so many Shiners and packing in
the burritos so much that Eki couldn't see around his massive butt and
when Lance bunnyhopped the pothole, while Eki was following, and called
out the hole (in the finest group riding tradition when it's too damn
late for the guy following you to do anything about it) just as Eki
disappeared into it with various crunching sounds, an 'Oof!' and the
obligatory wheel (which universal custom in these situations dictate)
came out of the hole and rolled around in a circle before falling over
on its side as if to underscore a crash of some sort has taken place.

There's probably already a concession set up at the site. "See the hole
that took out Olympic Gold Medallist!!!! Only 5 dollers!"

Tom Kunich
May 5th 05, 02:52 AM
Say, isn't it the man lover? Got any new tatoos?

"William S. Harley" > wrote in message
> ... and 2/3 of this newsgroup's readers don't care what you say Senor
> kUnich. Stay Away
>
> Bill
> "Tom Kunich" > wrote in message
> .net...
>> "Robert Chung" > wrote in message
>> > Jesse T cut-and-pasted:
> male
>> >
>> > and

>> > Increasing male-female disparity in expectation of life means that the
>> > medical portion of the healthcare system, even if forced to abandon new
>> > investment and to switch to cheaper technologies, is almost surely not
>> > blame.
>>
>> 1/3rd of Russian men are heavy alcoholics.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home