PDA

View Full Version : Re: Joseba Beloki?

Fred Marx
July 30th 03, 01:57 AM
> With a couple of minor exceptions, Basque words are pronounced the same
> as if they were Spanish words even though the language itself is not at
> all the same. B and V are phonetically the same in Spanish - some places
> more like one than the other but always the same as each other. Joseba
> is ho-SAY-bah, actually a pretty common Basque name - do a google on it.

I did not realize that, thanks :) .

Jiyang Chen
July 30th 03, 03:35 AM
That's what I thought too, except Phil Liggett, Paul, Bob calls him Yo She
ba...

"DiabloScott" > wrote in message
> Fred Marx wrote:
> > Jiyang Chen wrote:
> > > What's the real pronunciation of his name?
> > >
> > > Ho-she-ba? Ho-se-ba? Yo-she-ba?
> > >
> > > etc....
> > >
> > > I would think it would be like Jose plus the "ba" in the end.
> > >

> > > Jiyang
> > >

> > except that I believe he's Basque and that throws all the Spanish
> > pronounciation rules right out the window.....
>

> With a couple of minor exceptions, Basque words are pronounced the same
> as if they were Spanish words even though the language itself is not at
> all the same. B and V are phonetically the same in Spanish - some places
> more like one than the other but always the same as each other. Joseba
> is ho-SAY-bah, actually a pretty common Basque name - do a google on it.
>

> --
> Check out my bike blog!
>
> http://diabloscott.blogspot.com

Steven L. Sheffield
July 30th 03, 04:35 AM
On 7/29/03 3:19 PM, in article ,
"Boyd Speerschneider" > wrote:

> "Jiyang Chen" > wrote in news:bg6jfk
> :
>
>> What's the real pronunciation of his name?
>>
>> Ho-she-ba?
>> Ho-se-ba?
>> Yo-she-ba?
>>
>> etc....
>>
>> I would think it would be like Jose plus the "ba" in the end.
>>

>> Jiyang
>
> Yes, but in Spanish, the b is pronounced as a v.
> So, phonetically it would be:
>
> Ho-se-va

'Cept Beloki is Basque ... And not "Spanish" per se ...

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

trg
July 30th 03, 02:05 PM
So do the French announcers.

"Jiyang Chen" > a écrit dans le message de
> That's what I thought too, except Phil Liggett, Paul, Bob calls him Yo She
> ba...
>

> "DiabloScott" > wrote in message
> > Fred Marx wrote:

> > > except that I believe he's Basque and that throws all the Spanish
> > > pronounciation rules right out the window.....
> >

> > With a couple of minor exceptions, Basque words are pronounced the same
> > as if they were Spanish words even though the language itself is not at
> > all the same. B and V are phonetically the same in Spanish - some places
> > more like one than the other but always the same as each other. Joseba
> > is ho-SAY-bah, actually a pretty common Basque name - do a google on it.
> >

> > --
> > Check out my bike blog!
> >
> > http://diabloscott.blogspot.com

---

otto
July 30th 03, 03:01 PM
"Jiyang Chen" > wrote in message >...
> That's what I thought too, except Phil Liggett, Paul, Bob calls him Yo She
> ba...

yo-say-ba

And Phil and Paul are absolute crap when it comes to pronouncing spanish names.

bob roll is pretty painfull as well,

i.e. how he pronounces Euskatel-Euskadi: Ew-ska-tel Es-kaid-i

it's Ew-ska-tel Es-kod-i (more or less)

Juan Parra
July 30th 03, 06:00 PM
"Ingemar Svensson" > wrote in message
om...
> "Jiyang Chen" > wrote in message
> > What's the real pronunciation of his name?
> >
> > Ho-she-ba?
> > Ho-se-ba?
> > Yo-she-ba?

> By all certainty Joseba is not pronounced with a ho- in the beginning.
> That's the latinamerican version of pronouncing a J.

You meant the Castillian Spanish way, right? ;-)

>In Spain it's
> pronounced like ch in the german "doch" (sorry don't know the english
> phonetic of it). It sounds like when you clear your throat.

The pronounciation comes from his Basque origin.

> versions I have heard of his name are either Cho-se-ba or yo-se-ba,
> with the first example beeing the most common. The b in the last
> syllible is pronounced like a b without closing your lips.

Then in English, phonetically his name will pronounce

Joseba ----> yo-SSeh-bah
Beloki -----> beh-Loh-kee

Juani

DiabloScott
July 30th 03, 11:41 PM
Alex Beascochea wrote:
> DiabloScott > wrote in message
> > Fred Marx wrote:

> > > except that I believe he's Basque and that throws all the Spanish
> > > pronounciation rules right out the window...
> >

> > With a couple of minor exceptions, Basque words are pronounced the
> > same as if they were Spanish words even though the language itself is
> > not at all the same. B and V are phonetically the same in Spanish -
> > some places more like one than the other but always the same as each
> > other. Joseba is ho-SAY-bah, actually a pretty common Basque name - do
> > a google on it.
> You are right. In spanish there is not phonetic difference between B and
> V. In basque there is not even syntactic V. But you are wrong about the
> pronounciation of Joseba, it it is not like spanish Jose' + ba.
> The name is pronounced (more or less):
> Yo-sE-ba (like Yosemite but replace ba for mite, stress on the E).
> The lastname is quite straightforward.
> Be-lO-kii (stress on O).
> Alex.

Here's a blurb from http://www.eirelink.com/alanking/collbq1c.htm (keep
in mind that the references to English are from the Irish perspective
and references to Spanish are from the castellano perspective):

"S and z are both 's' sounds, but differ: z is like an emphatic English
's' as in 'hiss', almost but not quite lisped; s is a 'mushier' sound,
almost like English 'sh' but not quite.

"The letter j is pronounced differently in different parts of the
Basque Country. In and around Gipuzkoa, it sounds like the ch in loch,
i.e. like a throaty h sound. Another common pronunciation is similar to
the y in yoyo. In a few words it always has the latter sound, e.g. Jon
'John'. The verb joan 'go' should be pronounced either 'hwan' or
'yo-an', although several other dialectal pronunciations of this common
word exist. "

--
Check out my bike blog!

http://diabloscott.blogspot.com

Clovis Lark
July 31st 03, 03:22 PM
Mike Bruno > wrote:
> Not only that, Phil insists on pronouncing the 'H' in Roberto Herras.
> This annoys my wife (a native Spanish speaker) no end.

Ask any english man to pronounce Livorno, Santander or La Coruña (Leghorn,
Sant-ANN-der, Corunna)

> (otto) wrote in message >...
>> "Jiyang Chen" > wrote in message >...
>> > That's what I thought too, except Phil Liggett, Paul, Bob calls him Yo She
>> > ba...
>> >

>> yo-say-ba
>>
>> And Phil and Paul are absolute crap when it comes to pronouncing spanish names.
>>
>> bob roll is pretty painfull as well,
>>
>> i.e. how he pronounces Euskatel-Euskadi: Ew-ska-tel Es-kaid-i
>>
>> it's Ew-ska-tel Es-kod-i (more or less)

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home