PDA

View Full Version : a club newsletter

May 6th 05, 06:46 PM
Maybe some of yall would be interested in my club's newsletter -- I'm
the editor and the recent issue has a photo of Bill C:
http://www.crca.net/news/200505.htm

Some issues with good articles
http://www.crca.net/news/200504.htm
http://www.crca.net/news/200406.htm
http://www.crca.net/news/200403.htm

Full list
http://www.crca.net/news/

JT

Bill C
May 6th 05, 06:57 PM
wrote:
> Maybe some of yall would be interested in my club's newsletter -- I'm
> the editor and the recent issue has a photo of Bill C:
> http://www.crca.net/news/200505.htm
>
> Some issues with good articles
> http://www.crca.net/news/200504.htm
> http://www.crca.net/news/200406.htm
> http://www.crca.net/news/200403.htm
>
> Full list
> http://www.crca.net/news/
>
> JT

That picture's brutal. On top of being fat I was wearing about 3 layers
of clothes under the rainsuit, but hey what is, is.
Great pics of the race though and some good reading.
I just can't decide if I look more like Oliver Hardy or Porky Pig in
the picture.
Bill C

B. Lafferty
May 6th 05, 07:32 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Maybe some of yall would be interested in my club's newsletter -- I'm
> the editor and the recent issue has a photo of Bill C:
> http://www.crca.net/news/200505.htm
>
> Some issues with good articles
> http://www.crca.net/news/200504.htm
> http://www.crca.net/news/200406.htm
> http://www.crca.net/news/200403.htm
>
> Full list
> http://www.crca.net/news/
>
> JT

Bill has had full body liposuction since that photo was taken. He's looking
really great now. ;-)

Steve K.
May 6th 05, 08:08 PM
wrote:

> Maybe some of yall would be interested in my club's newsletter -- I'm
> the editor and the recent issue has a photo of Bill C:
> http://www.crca.net/news/200505.htm
>
> Some issues with good articles
> http://www.crca.net/news/200504.htm
> http://www.crca.net/news/200406.htm
> http://www.crca.net/news/200403.htm
>
> Full list
> http://www.crca.net/news/

Who is the artsy fartsy photographer?

http://www.crca.net/pics/200505globe.jpg

May 6th 05, 08:49 PM
Those photos are by Marco Quezada (http://www.marcoquezada.com).

JT

Bill C
May 6th 05, 10:14 PM
B. Lafferty wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Maybe some of yall would be interested in my club's newsletter --
I'm
> > the editor and the recent issue has a photo of Bill C:
> > http://www.crca.net/news/200505.htm
> >
> > Some issues with good articles
> > http://www.crca.net/news/200504.htm
> > http://www.crca.net/news/200406.htm
> > http://www.crca.net/news/200403.htm
> >
> > Full list
> > http://www.crca.net/news/
> >
> > JT
> >

> Bill has had full body liposuction since that photo was taken. He's
looking
> really great now. ;-)

**** if they did that at this point you could get enough to build a
good little climber. That's one of the drawbacks to using beer as a
pain killer instead of, say, percocet. Percocet doesn't have at least
160 calories a pop and the dosage is smaller. Tastes a lot better
though.
Bill C

Robert Chung
May 7th 05, 01:24 AM
Bill C wrote:
> beer

How fitting. The Michelin Man's name is "Bibendum" from "Nunc est
bibendum."

On a completely unrelated topic, I had an Ess-A bagel today.

Gerard Lanois
May 7th 05, 02:22 AM
"Bill C" > writes:

> wrote:
> > Maybe some of yall would be interested in my club's newsletter -- I'm
> > the editor and the recent issue has a photo of Bill C:
> > http://www.crca.net/news/200505.htm
> >
> > Some issues with good articles
> > http://www.crca.net/news/200504.htm
> > http://www.crca.net/news/200406.htm
> > http://www.crca.net/news/200403.htm
> >
> > Full list
> > http://www.crca.net/news/
> >
> > JT
>
> That picture's brutal. On top of being fat I was wearing about 3 layers
> of clothes under the rainsuit, but hey what is, is.
> Great pics of the race though and some good reading.
> I just can't decide if I look more like Oliver Hardy or Porky Pig in
> the picture.
> Bill C

If nothing else, you've got a solid future in derny racing...

-Gerard

Bob Schwartz
May 7th 05, 03:33 AM
Robert Chung > wrote:
> On a completely unrelated topic, I had an Ess-A bagel today.

Nobody cares what you ate. How many Ess-A bagels can you carry?

Bob Schwartz

h squared
May 7th 05, 03:48 AM
Bob Schwartz wrote:

> Nobody cares what you ate.

bob "show me pictures of your food" schwartz, what are you saying??

> How many Ess-A bagels can you carry?

lolol. no fair being so funny. you always catch me off my guard (i guess
i can't learn :)

heather

Tom Kunich
May 7th 05, 03:51 AM
"Bill C" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> wrote:
>> Maybe some of yall would be interested in my club's newsletter -- I'm
>> the editor and the recent issue has a photo of Bill C:
>> http://www.crca.net/news/200505.htm
>>
>> Some issues with good articles
>> http://www.crca.net/news/200504.htm
>> http://www.crca.net/news/200406.htm
>> http://www.crca.net/news/200403.htm
>>
>> Full list
>> http://www.crca.net/news/
>>
>> JT
>
> That picture's brutal. On top of being fat I was wearing about 3 layers
> of clothes under the rainsuit, but hey what is, is.
> Great pics of the race though and some good reading.
> I just can't decide if I look more like Oliver Hardy or Porky Pig in
> the picture.

Geez Bill, I hope you're getting those rolls off. Hope you're health is
improving too. When are you planning on riding a REAL(tm) Bike?

Robert Chung
May 7th 05, 09:49 AM
Bob Schwartz wrote:
> Robert Chung > wrote:
>> On a completely unrelated topic, I had an Ess-A bagel today.
>
> Nobody cares what you ate. How many Ess-A bagels can you carry?

When I say that I "had" the bagel, what makes you think I was talking
'bout eating it?

Ewoud Dronkert
May 7th 05, 10:26 AM
On Sat, 7 May 2005 04:49:31 -0400, Robert Chung wrote:
> When I say that I "had" the bagel, what makes you think I was talking
> 'bout eating it?

So you're a "1"?

--
Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/

John Forrest Tomlinson
May 7th 05, 10:53 AM
On Sat, 07 May 2005 02:33:43 -0000, Bob Schwartz >
wrote:

>Robert Chung > wrote:
>> On a completely unrelated topic, I had an Ess-A bagel today.
>
>Nobody cares what you ate. How many Ess-A bagels can you carry?

The guy on the upper left of this page
http://www.shankpro.com/prints.htm

is, I think, the guy winning the 3 race in our newsletter
http://www.crca.net/news/200505.htm

You can almost see his bagel carrier...

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

Robert Chung
May 7th 05, 11:01 AM
Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> On Sat, 7 May 2005 04:49:31 -0400, Robert Chung wrote:
>> When I say that I "had" the bagel, what makes you think I was talking
>> 'bout eating it?
>
> So you're a "1"?

I'm cereally monogamous.

Bill C
May 7th 05, 01:28 PM
Tom Kunich wrote:
> "Bill C" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > wrote:
> >> Maybe some of yall would be interested in my club's newsletter --
I'm
> >> the editor and the recent issue has a photo of Bill C:
> >> http://www.crca.net/news/200505.htm
> >>
> >> Some issues with good articles
> >> http://www.crca.net/news/200504.htm
> >> http://www.crca.net/news/200406.htm
> >> http://www.crca.net/news/200403.htm
> >>
> >> Full list
> >> http://www.crca.net/news/
> >>
> >> JT
> >
> > That picture's brutal. On top of being fat I was wearing about 3
layers
> > of clothes under the rainsuit, but hey what is, is.
> > Great pics of the race though and some good reading.
> > I just can't decide if I look more like Oliver Hardy or Porky Pig
in
> > the picture.
>
> Geez Bill, I hope you're getting those rolls off. Hope you're health
is
> improving too. When are you planning on riding a REAL(tm) Bike?

Morning Tom
Actually my wrist and arm are doing really well so I'm actually able to
ride. Luckily I've got an old industrial set of Mavic wheels to train
on. The problem is now, that on top of everything else I've managed to
really screw up my back. When I had the problem with my legs a couple
of months ago the question was, was it minor stroke stuff which all the
other symptoms pointed to, or was it due to something in my back. They
did the head MRI first just in case, because the back wasn't as bad as
the headaches and BP then. Now the back has gotten miserable at best so
next week we see about that. The good thing is that I can actually
ride, it's reasonable sitting or riding, but standing and walking have
about a 30 min. max right now. I've actually been able to do a couple
of 2 hour rides lately that's the first time in a couple of years.
I'm actually pretty psyched because we are getting things fixed one by
one. The worst knee, shoulder and arm are all decent now after the
surgeries, and the rest I can live with for now once we get the back
fixed. I'm just sick of this ****, for at least the last 4 years it's
been constant chronic pain mixed with rehabs. I can actually do things
I haven't been able to in years. Just got to avoid being harpooned
before I get the blubber off now. Living in New England does have it's
dangers.
Bill C

Bill C
May 7th 05, 03:15 PM
Tom Kunich wrote:
> "Bill C" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >>

> Geez Bill, I hope you're getting those rolls off. Hope you're health
is
> improving too. When are you planning on riding a REAL(tm) Bike?

I'm being thicker than usual this morning. You meant that US(tm)
Factory(tm) known as The Motor Company(tm) that tried to (TM) their
sound along with everything else a horde of sleazy high dollar lawyers
could think of to lock up, or sue for?
I can't think of anything more "real" than a Triumph in "British
Racing Green". I'm still totally put off by the way H-D has acted since
the reorganization so I switched back to Brit bikes. They also don't
have a bike that fits into the niche I need. For working races
especially you really need something that is really quick and nimble,
while being pretty stable and not too twitchy. Right now that's what I
want to ride for fun too. The only bikes out there that made sense were
the Honda VFR, my Sprint ST, and the Ducati. The Duc is too race
oriented for what I want and is a lot pricier both initially and to
maintain so that left the Honda and mine. I grew up riding and building
Brit rat stuff so, and we had a local dealer. The local Honda dealer
and I don't see eye to eye really, even though I've bought a couple of
MX and Enduro bikes from him over the years. Got a great deal with a
bunch of company goodies thrown in so I went for the Triumph.
Unfortunately the service dept. wasn't real good and their main line
was Indian. So now they're gone and I've got to travel to a dealer, but
the bike's out of warranty so I just do the stuff and order up any
specialty stuff I need.
I'm still good friends with the local H-D shop owner and his kids.
They've been family friends since before I was born and a cou[ple of
guys I went to MMI with still work there now. The cool thing is that
their old service manager left and started his own shop about shortly
after the co. got stupid and he's the best H-D mechanic within 100
miles anyway and a great guy so when I decide to build a bike I can go
through him instead of the factory crap.
Still loving the Triumph though, great to play on the twisties and
around town, or do all day rides.
Bill C

Steven L. Sheffield
May 7th 05, 04:48 PM
On 05/07/2005 08:15 AM, in article
om, "Bill C"
> wrote:

> Tom Kunich wrote:
>> "Bill C" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>>>

>> Geez Bill, I hope you're getting those rolls off. Hope you're health
> is
>> improving too. When are you planning on riding a REAL(tm) Bike?
>
> I'm being thicker than usual this morning. You meant that US(tm)
> Factory(tm) known as The Motor Company(tm) that tried to (TM) their
> sound along with everything else a horde of sleazy high dollar lawyers
> could think of to lock up, or sue for?

I think he meant a non-moto ...

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

Bill C
May 7th 05, 04:59 PM
Steven L. Sheffield wrote:
> On 05/07/2005 08:15 AM, in article
> om, "Bill C"
> > wrote:
>

> > Tom Kunich wrote:
> >> "Bill C" > wrote in message
> >> oups.com...
> >>>>

> >> Geez Bill, I hope you're getting those rolls off. Hope you're
health
> > is
> >> improving too. When are you planning on riding a REAL(tm) Bike?
> >
> > I'm being thicker than usual this morning. You meant that US(tm)
> > Factory(tm) known as The Motor Company(tm) that tried to (TM) their
> > sound along with everything else a horde of sleazy high dollar
lawyers
> > could think of to lock up, or sue for?
>

> I think he meant a non-moto ...

That's what I thought too at first, but Tom's an old motorcycle guy
from way back. He was racing when "Lucifer's Hammer" was winning races
for H-D.
They actually used to be competitive.

snitched for H-D:
For the next 17 years, the KR and KRTT models were rarely beaten. From
1953 through 1969, the KR and KRTT would bring Harley-Davidson 13
victories at Daytona, America's most prestigious road race.

In the National points chase, KRs won on dirt as well. Factory rider
Carroll Resweber won the National Championship four years running, from
1958 to 1961. Resweber's record string of championships held until
Harley-Davidson's Scott Parker broke the string with five straight
championships between 1994 and 1999.

> --
> Steven L. Sheffield
> stevens at veloworks dot com
> bellum pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est
> ess ay ell tea ell ay kay ee sea eye tee why you ti ay aitch
> aitch tee tea pea colon [for word] slash [four ward] slash double-you
> double-yew double-ewe dot veloworks dot com [foreword] slash

Bill C

B. Lafferty
May 7th 05, 05:14 PM
"Bill C" > wrote in message
oups.com...
Just got to avoid being harpooned
> before I get the blubber off now. Living in New England does have it's
> dangers.
> Bill C

Isn't the real danger Harpoon IPA?

Bill C
May 8th 05, 02:08 AM
Steven L. Sheffield wrote:
> On 05/07/2005 08:15 AM, in article
> om, "Bill C"
> > wrote:
>

> > Tom Kunich wrote:
> >> "Bill C" > wrote in message
> >> oups.com...
> >>>>

> >> Geez Bill, I hope you're getting those rolls off. Hope you're
health
> > is
> >> improving too. When are you planning on riding a REAL(tm) Bike?
> >
> > I'm being thicker than usual this morning. You meant that US(tm)
> > Factory(tm) known as The Motor Company(tm) that tried to (TM) their
> > sound along with everything else a horde of sleazy high dollar
lawyers
> > could think of to lock up, or sue for?
>

> I think he meant a non-moto ...
>

> --
> Steven L. Sheffield
> stevens at veloworks dot com
> bellum pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est
> ess ay ell tea ell ay kay ee sea eye tee why you ti ay aitch
> aitch tee tea pea colon [for word] slash [four ward] slash double-you
> double-yew double-ewe dot veloworks dot com [foreword] slash

Hey Steve
I'm riding a Masi 3V Ultegra bike that's great but I really love my
Benotto from the late 70s. I still use it for club TTs and other fun
stuff. It definitely rides better over long distances than anything
else I've owned. I've done up to 6+ hour rides on it and it was great.
I'm not sure what the quality of the Mexico built stuff is, but I'm
leaning toward it's not good. On the other hand Benotto had a long
history with Mexico before they moved.
Bill C

Kurgan Gringioni
May 8th 05, 04:18 AM
wrote:
> Maybe some of yall would be interested in my club's newsletter -- I'm
> the editor and the recent issue has a photo of Bill C:
> http://www.crca.net/news/200505.htm

Jesus Christ Bill. You goddamm Fattie. That's not good for your health.

BTW, I have two friends who are more brutal on the Fatties than I am.
They're doctors, one's a general practitioner, the other an
anaesthesiologist. They didn't used to be that way until they started
practicing. The fat people give them a lot of business - basically
they're disgusted with how preventable it all is.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

May 8th 05, 06:46 AM
Robert Chung wrote:

> On a completely unrelated topic, I had an Ess-A bagel today.

So how was it for you?

Not in _that_ way. Someone I know claims that Ess-A-Bagels are
bloating up to puffy squidgy oversized things, like the rest of the
US population (bagels and people). What's your opinion?

Bob Schwartz
May 8th 05, 08:02 PM
Robert Chung > wrote:
> Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
>> On Sat, 7 May 2005 04:49:31 -0400, Robert Chung wrote:
>>> When I say that I "had" the bagel, what makes you think I was talking
>>> 'bout eating it?
>>
>> So you're a "1"?

> I'm cereally monogamous.

It's easy carrying several at a time. You need one of these though:

http://my.execpc.com/~cvcc/food/andouillette-au-vin-blanc.jpg

Bob Schwartz

Howard Kveck
May 8th 05, 09:03 PM
In article >,
Bob Schwartz > wrote:

> Robert Chung > wrote:
> > Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> >>
> >> So you're a "1"?
>
> > I'm cereally monogamous.
>
> It's easy carrying several at a time. You need one of these though:
>
> http://my.execpc.com/~cvcc/food/andouillette-au-vin-blanc.jpg
>
> Bob Schwartz

That looks pretty good - too bad it's not another kind of sausage. One
that's more consistent in flavor.

--
tanx,
Howard

Butter is love.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Bill C
May 8th 05, 10:23 PM
Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> wrote:
> > Maybe some of yall would be interested in my club's newsletter --
I'm
> > the editor and the recent issue has a photo of Bill C:
> > http://www.crca.net/news/200505.htm
>

> Jesus Christ Bill. You goddamm Fattie. That's not good for your
health.

> BTW, I have two friends who are more brutal on the Fatties than I am.
> They're doctors, one's a general practitioner, the other an
> anaesthesiologist. They didn't used to be that way until they started
> practicing. The fat people give them a lot of business - basically
> they're disgusted with how preventable it all is.
>

> thanks,
>
> K. Gringioni.

No ****. I am in complete agreement. The problem is that 90% of the
problems that are keeping me from actually doing **** are muscular and
skeletal. There have been plenty of times where I really wouldn't give
a **** if I dropped dead tomorrow if it wasn't for the family. To end
up here from playing baseball, basketball, football, team handball,
hiking, cycling etc... I could go on and on. I was never indoors except
to hit the gym or relax and read. I was actually at 215 about a couple
of years ago before I wasted the knee and was doing some serious
riding.
This ****'s totally on my lack of discipline, but it's really hard to
give a flying **** when you just can't seem to win. I started getting
in some really good workouts in the gym. Was really careful and was
going slowly. I was teaching a couple of teens so we were really
stressing form and safety. I got in a couple of serious power workouts
and was recovering well. Then when I was basically on a rest day going
through back exercises with them something in my lower back popped when
I was demonstrating form using a bar with no weight.
Every damn time I start getting somewhere I seem to get hit with more
****. Hard to keep getting remotivated.
The BP and some other **** has been a problem since I was a 150lb 16
year old. Now I'm just hoping that we can get the damn back fixed, keep
the headaches under control, and I can start getting this **** off
again.
Maybe Just for Stevie I should claim "I ain't fat, it's a bad picture
and I'm big boned..Waaahhhh"
Bill C

Robert Chung
May 8th 05, 11:42 PM
wrote:

> Someone I know claims that Ess-A-Bagels are
> bloating up to puffy squidgy oversized things, like the rest of the
> US population (bagels and people). What's your opinion?

This was the first time I've had one so I couldn't say if they're bloating
up, but the truth is that I'm not sure it was worth flying across the
Atlantic for.

Howard Kveck
May 9th 05, 02:48 AM
In article >,
"Robert Chung" > wrote:

> wrote:
> >
> > Someone I know claims that Ess-A-Bagels are
> > bloating up to puffy squidgy oversized things, like the rest of the
> > US population (bagels and people). What's your opinion?
>
> This was the first time I've had one so I couldn't say if they're bloating
> up, but the truth is that I'm not sure it was worth flying across the
> Atlantic for.

Hmm, and people think I'm strange to drive to SF for just a dessert.

http://www.citizencake.com/

--
tanx,
Howard

Butter is love.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

amit
May 10th 05, 07:09 AM
Bill C wrote:

> I started getting
> in some really good workouts in the gym. Was really careful and was
> going slowly. I was teaching a couple of teens so we were really
> stressing form and safety. I got in a couple of serious power
workouts
> and was recovering well. Then when I was basically on a rest day
going
> through back exercises with them something in my lower back popped
when
> I was demonstrating form using a bar with no weight.

dumbass,

sorry to hear about your woes. but this does not make sense to me. all
the gym dudes i know are fatties and they are always messing up their
knees and backs heaving weights or playing hoops.

isn't improving your health the point of going to the gym, not to end
up with worse health ?

but you have a common problem, which is that taking care of your health
is considered an extravagace which you might not have the time or
resources for.

anyways, for what it's worth i think getting in shape will cure a lot
of people's common minor health problems, aches, back pain, headaches.

Curtis L. Russell
May 10th 05, 02:06 PM
On 9 May 2005 23:09:33 -0700, "amit" > wrote:

>sorry to hear about your woes. but this does not make sense to me. all
>the gym dudes i know are fatties and they are always messing up their
>knees and backs heaving weights or playing hoops.
>
>isn't improving your health the point of going to the gym, not to end
>up with worse health ?
>
>but you have a common problem, which is that taking care of your health
>is considered an extravagace which you might not have the time or
>resources for.

Did you come in in the middle of the conversation? Your last comment
isn't exactly in the context of the rest of the thread.

And around here, including the fitness center in our building, most
gym users are not gym rats, with more on controlled systems with less
chance of damage, usually with an employee in the near vicinity. I get
the incident reports for anything that happens in the fitness center
or courts and I have two over the last 12 months. One knee going out
and a spouse hit their SO in the head with a raquet on the ball court.
We assumed it was an accident.

This is from one swimming pool, a fitness center with free weights,
controlled systems and other equipment, two ball courts and a
basketball court with league use.

We have more incident reports from people falling on the sidewalk in
the winter.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Bill C
May 10th 05, 04:35 PM
amit wrote:
> Bill C wrote:
>
> > I started getting
> > in some really good workouts in the gym. Was really careful and was
> > going slowly. I was teaching a couple of teens so we were really
> > stressing form and safety. I got in a couple of serious power
> workouts
> > and was recovering well. Then when I was basically on a rest day
> going
> > through back exercises with them something in my lower back popped
> when
> > I was demonstrating form using a bar with no weight.
>
> dumbass,
>
> sorry to hear about your woes. but this does not make sense to me.
all
> the gym dudes i know are fatties and they are always messing up their
> knees and backs heaving weights or playing hoops.
>
> isn't improving your health the point of going to the gym, not to end
> up with worse health ?
>
> but you have a common problem, which is that taking care of your
health
> is considered an extravagace which you might not have the time or
> resources for.
>
> anyways, for what it's worth i think getting in shape will cure a lot
> of people's common minor health problems, aches, back pain,
headaches.

Your right about pretty much all of it. The torn knee cartilage, carpal
tunnel in both wrists, the elbow, and the torn rotator cuff, along with
all the old injuries and scar tissue in both the knee and shoulder are
pretty much due to powerlifting/bodybuilding. Notice I didn't say
fitness. The problem is that when you get into a sport and are dead
serious you keep at it no matter what. I wasn't any different but it
became pretty obvious over time that I needed to concentrate on
something else. Now I'm paying for it. I think a lot of the damage was
done while I was still a young teenager working around the farm and
construction company before my skeleton had matured. There were plenty
of days a lot tougher than any gym workout.
As far as being fat goes, about the worst I got was around 215 at
about 15% during a power cycle. Most of the time I was in the 185/195
range around 10%. I always loved to ride so I was at least pretty close
most of the time.
Most gym rats see cyclists as unhealthy anorexic weaklings so the
disdain is mutual.
Gym rats dope for the same reason that casual racers do, they have
delusions of being better than they are, and needing to use something
to compete. It's not about health, it's about performance. I was never
stupid enough, and had no illusions, so it didn't dope.
It did take me a long time to figure out that most of the training
routines out there were based on using steroids to recover. The volume
of work and frequency in most of them would have you totally
overtrained in no time flat.
At the busy end of a cutting up cycle a typical day was:
1-2 hour fast solo cardio ride
Breakfast
1 hour gym
work
then either another 1 to 2 hour ride or gym session depending on the
day.
Towards the end of a cycle I'd drop the weight, increase the reps and
decrease the time between sets to nothing and split the body in half.
Doing each every other day while increasing the length and intensity of
the rides, but making sure to do two a day with the gym in the middle.
The back injury this time was a complete freak occurrence. I was two
days off a back day where I was deadlifting almost 400 for reps, leg
pressing 600 heels to ass for reps, and bent rowing with 90lb dumbells
for reps and was fine. Normal DOMS and had warmed up enough to feels
safe, and it just popped. Sometimes **** happens.
But not even all the injuries and pain haven't made me love it any
less. The feeling you get is close to the one you can feel riding when
you can feel every muscle working, your pedaling nice and round, and
your in the zone. In the gym it's a case of feeling every muscle
working, being able to feel each one, and all of them together. It's
just incredible to me either way. You crash your bike, and get right
back at it as soon as you can. Same here.
Bill C

Bill C
May 10th 05, 04:44 PM
wrote:

> >sorry to hear about your woes. but this does not make sense to me.
all
> >the gym dudes i know are fatties and they are always messing up
their
> >knees and backs heaving weights or playing hoops.
> >
> >isn't improving your health the point of going to the gym, not to
end
> >up with worse health ?
> >
> >but you have a common problem, which is that taking care of your
health
> >is considered an extravagace which you might not have the time or
> >resources for.
>
> Did you come in in the middle of the conversation? Your last comment
> isn't exactly in the context of the rest of the thread.
>
> And around here, including the fitness center in our building, most
> gym users are not gym rats, with more on controlled systems with less
> chance of damage, usually with an employee in the near vicinity. I
get
> the incident reports for anything that happens in the fitness center
> or courts and I have two over the last 12 months. One knee going out
> and a spouse hit their SO in the head with a raquet on the ball
court.
> We assumed it was an accident.
>
> This is from one swimming pool, a fitness center with free weights,
> controlled systems and other equipment, two ball courts and a
> basketball court with league use.
>
> We have more incident reports from people falling on the sidewalk in
> the winter.
>
> Curtis L. Russell
> Odenton, MD (USA)
> Just someone on two wheels...

Exactly those people are fitness types and generally have some sense.
I keep trying to get to that point. It's an addiction with me to get in
and really push it. I love the wobbly legged feeling and barely being
able to walk after a good leg workout. In my world you do a set of calf
raises until you collapse in pain, wait a bit and do one more set
because it feels so damn good.
The endorphins from, and the feeling of totally frying your body is
incredible.
I would be the first to encourage people to get into the gym with a
good trainer and to use it to get balanced fitness, but I'll never
encourage anyone to go hardcore about weights.
Bill C

amit
May 11th 05, 07:16 AM
Bill C wrote:

> Your right about pretty much all of it. The torn knee cartilage,
carpal
> tunnel in both wrists, the elbow, and the torn rotator cuff, along
with
> all the old injuries and scar tissue in both the knee and shoulder
are
> pretty much due to powerlifting/bodybuilding. Notice I didn't say
> fitness. The problem is that when you get into a sport and are dead
> serious you keep at it no matter what. I wasn't any different but it
> became pretty obvious over time that I needed to concentrate on
> something else.

It's understandable if you have a passion for the activity or if one is
training for something like football or hockey and there are risks that
one accepts, but it isn't logical if it's a way to "get healthy".

> As far as being fat goes, about the worst I got was around 215 at
> about 15% during a power cycle. Most of the time I was in the 185/195
> range around 10%. I always loved to ride so I was at least pretty
close
> most of the time.
> Most gym rats see cyclists as unhealthy anorexic weaklings so the
> disdain is mutual.

(both to curt and you) I wasn't talking about people serious about
training ("gym rats"), but rather the casual gym users, typically
middle aged who "go to the gym" once or twice a week and inevitably
blow out their back or knee. That contradicts the idea that going to
the gym is a healthy thing to do.

Not all the injuries require attention on the premises. I don't have
data, but just look at all the people with tensor bandages on their
knees etc.

> Gym rats dope for the same reason that casual racers do, they have
> delusions of being better than they are, and needing to use something
> to compete. It's not about health, it's about performance.

Or vanity.

DA74
May 11th 05, 07:58 AM
Bill C wrote a bunch of excuses for being 400 lbs:

Dude, I don't care what your laundry list of ailments is. There is no
excuse for any human to be that fat. Period.

Even if you're sitting on a couch all day every day, bitching about how
everything aches you still can't gain weight unless you stuff a bunch
of **** in your mouth.

It really is that simple. Stop putting **** in your mouth.

Too bad posting on rbr doesn't burn calories because we wouldn't be
wasting bandwidth right now.

-DA<174lbs

PS - $10 says your're on disability collecting a check for being fat

Bill C
May 11th 05, 01:22 PM
DA74 wrote:
> Bill C wrote a bunch of excuses for being 400 lbs:
>
> Dude, I don't care what your laundry list of ailments is. There is no
> excuse for any human to be that fat. Period.
>
> Even if you're sitting on a couch all day every day, bitching about
how
> everything aches you still can't gain weight unless you stuff a bunch
> of **** in your mouth.
>
> It really is that simple. Stop putting **** in your mouth.
>
> Too bad posting on rbr doesn't burn calories because we wouldn't be
> wasting bandwidth right now.
>
> -DA<174lbs
>
> PS - $10 says your're on disability collecting a check for being fat

Once again you have your head mostly up your ass, and owe me $10.
Bill C

Bill C
May 11th 05, 02:35 PM
amit wrote:
> (both to curt and you) I wasn't talking about people serious about
> training ("gym rats"), but rather the casual gym users, typically
> middle aged who "go to the gym" once or twice a week and inevitably
> blow out their back or knee. That contradicts the idea that going to
> the gym is a healthy thing to do.

My thought is that lot of these injuries happen for a couple of
reasons.
You get a lot of folks who have been basically sedentary for years,
they get all fired up, put a routine together from the magazines,(VERY
few have articles on solid beginner programs). They don't get a full
checkup before starting and don't hire a trainer and if they get any
instruction it's basically the 20min with a staffer insurance
walkthrough. This is a little easier to get away with using machines
because they force you into something near proper form.
Then they push too hard, too fast, without warming up enough and
stretching enough. The cycling equivalent is a new rider riding out, w/
1 bottle and no food, until they get tired figuring that they'll just
turn around and go home then. Unfortunately they're already bonking, 2
hours from home, and have no clue what to do now except "gut it out".
It's called progressive resistance training for a good reason, and
unless you know enough, and have enough control the possibilities for
injury are endless. Using correct form for each exercise can be
absolutely critical and if all you know is what you've seen other
people doing you're going to get hurt.
Unless your just sleepwalking through a circuit training workout
there's a moderately high risk, but there is also a lot of quick reward
possible. Beginners can usually put on 10-15lbs of lean mass pretty
quickly. This combined with the fact that they used to be sedentary
bumps their metabolism up quickly and gives some serious positive
feedback. Where a lot of people quit, or get hurt is when they hit that
first plateau and the progress seems to have stopped. They either get
discouraged and quit, or push harder at the same stuff and get hurt, or
quit in frustration because now they are working twice as hard and they
aren't getting anywhere. Same as cycling, the body is incredibly
adaptive to weights too. There needs to be a well designed cyclical
program with rest/light weeks built in to keep improving and avoid
being overtrained, but an awful lot of fitness exercisers don't get
this info so they don't understand that it's a game of peaks and
plateaus, and that rest is where you actually build the muscle so they
do stupid things and get hurt.

> Not all the injuries require attention on the premises. I don't have
> data, but just look at all the people with tensor bandages on their
> knees etc.
>
> > Gym rats dope for the same reason that casual racers do, they have
> > delusions of being better than they are, and needing to use
something
> > to compete. It's not about health, it's about performance.
>
> Or vanity.

Working out to look good is just as much inspired by vanity as working
your ass off to win the local cat4 IP crit. Doesn't it all boil down to
vanity and bragging rights for everybody who races, except for the very
few who are actually driven and talented enough to go pro? Same thing
in the gym, it's about showing off and being seen for most of the
people there. It's really a lot more of a social thing than a fitness,
or competitive thing.
Everywhere I've worked out I've always managed to figure out what time
the hardcore types were going to be there becuase there isn't a lot of
chatter and standing around. Everybody has what they need to train that
day in mind and is focused on getting in, getting it done, and going
home. Just like an LT day.
Bill C

May 12th 05, 05:25 AM
wrote:
> >but you have a common problem, which is that taking care of your
health
> >is considered an extravagace which you might not have the time or
> >resources for.
>
> Did you come in in the middle of the conversation? Your last comment
> isn't exactly in the context of the rest of the thread.

In a culture with a lot of pressures: time, money, family, whatever,
taking care of your health often gets short shrift. Speaking about
people in general and not Bill's health problems in particular.
This is one reason Americans are either overweight or image-obsessed
(or both). A modest level of taking care of yourself gets low
priority: most of us can't say to our bosses "I can't do a working
lunch today, I have to go for a walk." (And the self-employed just
have their own set of pressures.)

Curtis L. Russell
May 12th 05, 02:05 PM
On 11 May 2005 21:25:06 -0700, "
> wrote:

>In a culture with a lot of pressures: time, money, family, whatever,
>taking care of your health often gets short shrift. Speaking about
>people in general and not Bill's health problems in particular.

Won't argue that, as it more or less is in line with my comment. Bill
admits that things went downhill, but it wasn't exactly in line with
'don't have time for exercise' that is true of much of the population.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

amit
May 12th 05, 07:58 PM
Curtis L. Russell wrote:
> On 11 May 2005 21:25:06 -0700, "
> > wrote:
>
> >In a culture with a lot of pressures: time, money, family, whatever,
> >taking care of your health often gets short shrift. Speaking about
> >people in general and not Bill's health problems in particular.
>
> Won't argue that, as it more or less is in line with my comment. Bill
> admits that things went downhill, but it wasn't exactly in line with
> 'don't have time for exercise' that is true of much of the
population.

yeah yeah, okay i went on a bit of a tangent with that.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home