PDA

View Full Version : sauna + cycling?

1oki
May 7th 05, 04:27 PM
Any opinions on the health effects in the use of a sauna [dry heat] in
conjunction with cycling?

Yes, dehydration should be taken into account, but assuming that one
does maintain proper hydration is a post or pre-ride sauna a good thing?

I've gotten into the habit of a post swim-sauna over the winter. Now that
the biking season is well and truly here, having a quick post-ride swim and
sauna is appealing. It seems to soothe exerted muscles.

Note: I'm not considering the moral or legal aspects of saunas.

:)

--
'Do as you damn well please
Or you could end up

maxo
May 7th 05, 05:37 PM
On Sat, 07 May 2005 11:27:32 -0400, 1oki wrote:

> Any opinions on the health effects in the use of a sauna [dry heat] in
> conjunction with cycling?

As a Swede I am appalled by your use of dry heat! get thee to The Russian
Baths in Chicago and learn to use moisture & seaweed brushes properly.
Cover your nuts with one hand when you toss water in the oven--do
not oversaturate the air. Drink lots of good Polish mineral water while
doing this--deli across the street sells it, keep it in a bucket of cold
water. Eat herring and drink beer afterwards. Watch out for the gypsies,
and accept offers of back scrubs from anybody with a nice set of brushes

Tom Keats
May 7th 05, 05:53 PM
In article >,
maxo > writes:

> Eat herring and drink beer afterwards.

mmmmm... breakfast of champions.
That even tops pie 'n coffee, or
tea and scones.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Peter Cole
May 7th 05, 06:29 PM
1oki wrote:

> I've gotten into the habit of a post swim-sauna over the winter. Now that
> the biking season is well and truly here, having a quick post-ride swim and
> sauna is appealing. It seems to soothe exerted muscles.

The few times I've gone into a pool after a hard ride, my legs cramped
almost immediately. Perhaps the water wasn't warm enough. I've never
cared for saunas, either. For tired muscles, massage seems to be the
most effective thing.

maxo
May 7th 05, 07:02 PM
On Sat, 07 May 2005 13:29:42 -0400, Peter Cole wrote:

> massage seems to be the most
> effective thing.

I use a regular bakers rolling pin on my legs after really hard rides to
get the lactic acid out + it feels good. :)

Antti Salonen
May 7th 05, 07:42 PM
1oki > wrote:

> Any opinions on the health effects in the use of a sauna [dry heat] in
> conjunction with cycling?

> Yes, dehydration should be taken into account, but assuming that one
> does maintain proper hydration is a post or pre-ride sauna a good thing?

We have a lot of saunas here in Finland and I often go to one after a
ride. I never tried one before a ride and doubt it would do much good,
and I'd be worried about dehydration. That of course depends on how hot
the sauna in question is - Here they are typically about 80 C (175 F).

After the ride I think they are refreshing, but I doubt there's any
significant physiological benefit. I think most sauna goers find them
refreshing even without a preceding bicycle ride.

-as

1oki
May 8th 05, 02:15 AM
"maxo" > wrote in message
. ..
> On Sat, 07 May 2005 11:27:32 -0400, 1oki wrote:
>
>> Any opinions on the health effects in the use of a sauna [dry heat] in
>> conjunction with cycling?
>
> As a Swede I am appalled by your use of dry heat! get thee to The Russian
> Baths in Chicago and learn to use moisture & seaweed brushes properly.

Not my decision.

:(

What is considered a reasonable length of time sauna-ing? I usually stay in
no more than 30 minutes at most - usually closer to 15.

--
'We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.'

Neil Brooks
May 8th 05, 02:41 AM
"1oki" > wrote:

> What is considered a reasonable length of time sauna-ing? I usually stay in
>no more than 30 minutes at most - usually closer to 15.

I make camp.

When my wife and I go, I like about 30 minutes in the steam, followed
by 30 in the sauna. I'm sure that's too much, but that's also too
bad. I seem to tolerate it well (think: Simpson's episode including
the phrase, "Damage-amage-amage-amage....").

I try to weigh myself before and after, ensuring that I drank enough
water to replace whatever weight I lost (I take the water in with me).

I just bought a countertop H2O distiller. I'll likely start drinking
distilled for the (steam+sauna) detox process only.

maxo
May 8th 05, 02:53 AM
On Sat, 07 May 2005 21:15:04 -0400, 1oki wrote:

> "maxo" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> On Sat, 07 May 2005 11:27:32 -0400, 1oki wrote:
>>
>>> Any opinions on the health effects in the use of a sauna [dry heat] in
>>> conjunction with cycling?
>>
>> As a Swede I am appalled by your use of dry heat! get thee to The
>> Russian Baths in Chicago and learn to use moisture & seaweed brushes
>> properly.
>
> Not my decision.
>
> :(
>
> What is considered a reasonable length of time sauna-ing? I usually stay
> in
> no more than 30 minutes at most - usually closer to 15.

It depends on you personal constitution and the sauna conditions. If you
feel uncomfortable, cool off somehow. At a real European type bathhouse,
you'll have various levels of heat and buckets of cold water to dump over
you. The Baths in Chicago have a cold water pool--in the winter jumping
into the 40 degree water's awesome--once you get your core temp up.

I usually cycle between sauna and cool off in the cold pool/shower every
15-20 min, in a very hot sauna and often dump cold buckets on my head.

The herring will restore your salt balance.

Paul Turner
May 8th 05, 04:09 PM
maxo wrote:

> As a Swede I am appalled by your use of dry heat! get thee to The
> Russian
> Baths in Chicago and learn to use moisture & seaweed brushes properly.
> Cover your nuts with one hand when you toss water in the oven--do
> not oversaturate the air.

I must have ridden by that place hundreds of times without even thinking
that it might still be a Russian bath. I'll have to give it a try.

--
Paul Turner

maxo
May 8th 05, 06:20 PM
On Sun, 08 May 2005 10:09:06 -0500, Paul Turner wrote:

> maxo wrote:
>
>> As a Swede I am appalled by your use of dry heat! get thee to The
>> Russian
>> Baths in Chicago and learn to use moisture & seaweed brushes properly.
>> Cover your nuts with one hand when you toss water in the oven--do not
>> oversaturate the air.
>
> I must have ridden by that place hundreds of times without even thinking
> that it might still be a Russian bath. I'll have to give it a try.

worth every penny imho--I think it's around $25, but bring extra if you
want a theraputic beating. I'm serious about the gypsies--leave jewelry
and electronics at home or secure them in the safe at the front desk.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home