PDA

View Full Version : Chris Horner Sightings

Folsom Inmate
May 8th 05, 05:31 PM
Over the last few weeks Chris Horner has been seen training on the American
River bike trail in and around Sacramento. When seen, he's wearing the full
Saunier Duval kit. Of course, this immediately places him miles above all
the Cat 5's, Master Fatties and Freds who populate the trail.

According to r.b.r., which is the correct attitude for us lowlifes to take?

A. He's on the Saunier Duval team and he's obligated to wear his kit, even
on ordinary training rides.

B. There's no point in Horner wearing his team kit in California. Saunier
Duval doesn't sell products and services here, so displaying S-D's logo
doesn't really help the sponsor. Horner is just strutting his stuff on the
bike trail for ego purposes, so we mortals will take notice and bow down to
him.

C. He's one of America's best riders, he's on a Pro Tour team and you're
not, he's earned the right to wear his kit whenever he wants to.

D. Horner has always been an "almost won" and wearing his S-D kit is the
only way he ever gets to legitimately wear yellow.

E. What's up with that weird-ass red bird thing, anyway?

Thanks.

Peter Allen
May 8th 05, 06:13 PM
Folsom Inmate wrote:
> Over the last few weeks Chris Horner has been seen training on the
> American River bike trail in and around Sacramento. When seen, he's
> wearing the full Saunier Duval kit. Of course, this immediately
> places him miles above all the Cat 5's, Master Fatties and Freds who
> populate the trail.
>
> According to r.b.r., which is the correct attitude for us lowlifes to
> take?
>
> A. He's on the Saunier Duval team and he's obligated to wear his kit,
> even on ordinary training rides.

Probably.

Chris M
May 8th 05, 07:19 PM
Who cares? If you got a new stack of team kit would you bother to carry
anything else with you? I doubt it. I am sure he travels with nothing
else. I don't think he is going home each day and if he did, do you
suppose a guy that has been a pro for over 10 years is going to have a
lot of cycling apparel that is not from team kits past or present? I
saw him too, it iwas on April 1 (I just remembered it because it was
April Fool's Day) heading up towards Auburn on Auburn Folsom Road. The
Sun was out and luckily I had my darkest glasses on because of that
bright all yellow kit and chrome dome I ran a siginificant risk to my
eye sight just looking at him for a moment. I wonder why he has always
been alone? It is not because he is going too fast.

Tom
May 8th 05, 08:07 PM
Chris M wrote:
> Who cares? If you got a new stack of team kit would you bother to
carry
> anything else with you? I doubt it. I am sure he travels with nothing
> else. I don't think he is going home each day and if he did, do you
> suppose a guy that has been a pro for over 10 years is going to have
> lot of cycling apparel that is not from team kits past or present? I
> saw him too, it iwas on April 1 (I just remembered it because it was
> April Fool's Day) heading up towards Auburn on Auburn Folsom Road.
The
> Sun was out and luckily I had my darkest glasses on because of that
> bright all yellow kit and chrome dome I ran a siginificant risk to my
> eye sight just looking at him for a moment. I wonder why he has
always
> been alone? It is not because he is going too fast.

He's probably alone because you can train better, and do the workouts
that you are supposed to do, if you're alone. Riding with someone
else just fouls it up. A lot of pros ride and train alone, or maybe
with one or 2 other people who all do the same workouts.

He has to wear his team kit, that's probably part of his contract like
it is for just about everyone else on a pro team. And like you said,
why wear anything else when they've given you a **** ton of clothing to
wear for the season. It's not an ego thing. He's on the team. Why
should he have an ego about it?

Tom

DA74
May 8th 05, 08:37 PM
Folsom Inmate wrote:
> Over the last few weeks Chris Horner has been seen training on the
American
> River bike trail in and around Sacramento. When seen, he's wearing
the full
> Saunier Duval kit. Of course, this immediately places him miles above
all
> the Cat 5's, Master Fatties and Freds who populate the trail.
>
> According to r.b.r., which is the correct attitude for us lowlifes to
take?

> A. He's on the Saunier Duval team and he's obligated to wear his kit,
even
> on ordinary training rides.
>
> B. There's no point in Horner wearing his team kit in California.
Saunier
> Duval doesn't sell products and services here, so displaying S-D's
logo
> doesn't really help the sponsor. Horner is just strutting his stuff
on the
> bike trail for ego purposes, so we mortals will take notice and bow
down to
> him.
>
> C. He's one of America's best riders, he's on a Pro Tour team and
you're
> not, he's earned the right to wear his kit whenever he wants to.
>
> D. Horner has always been an "almost won" and wearing his S-D kit is
the
> only way he ever gets to legitimately wear yellow.
>
> E. What's up with that weird-ass red bird thing, anyway?
>
> Thanks.

A) It's in every pro contract (except the L-Factor's apparently). While
under contract the only thing you can wear is team kit. Any time a pro
is on a bike whether on a training ride, local crit, or whatever there
is a chance someone will take a photo that could potentially get
published somewhere - usually by a fat fred like those that populate
rbr.

B) He's riding alone because he's rehabbing a broken hip. He doesn't
need some jagoff sprinting for every city limit sign screwing things
up.

C) It's best to train in the kit you race in. Every garment
manufacturer has seams in different area, different thicknesses of
ass-padding etc. This is a no-brainer.

D) If you jagoffs see him, leave him alone. He doesn't want to talk or
ride with you, no matter how cool you think you are or how lonely you
think it must be to train alone. You're all freds to him.

E) And before one of you freds brings it up: Assos it not better than
the team kit we get. That stuff is way overpriced and uncomfortable.
It's made exclusively for fat people who don't know any better.

May 9th 05, 01:55 AM
Folsom River Inmate wrote:
> Over the last few weeks Chris Horner has been seen training on the
American
> River bike trail in and around Sacramento. When seen, he's wearing
the full
> Saunier Duval kit. Of course, this immediately places him miles above
all
> the Cat 5's, Master Fatties and Freds who populate the trail.
>
> According to r.b.r., which is the correct attitude for us lowlifes to
take?

> A. He's on the Saunier Duval team and he's obligated to wear his kit,
even
> on ordinary training rides.
>
> B. There's no point in Horner wearing his team kit in California.
Saunier
> Duval doesn't sell products and services here, so displaying S-D's
logo
> doesn't really help the sponsor. Horner is just strutting his stuff
on the
> bike trail for ego purposes, so we mortals will take notice and bow
down to
> him. ...

That must be it. I'm sure he spends a lot of time thinking about that.

It used to be that bozos on rbr would flame amateurs and cyclotourists
for wearing pro team kit (mostly USPS for the past few years), saying
it was posing. Then people would get into an argument over being a
fan vs being a poseur, etc.

Now bozos on rbr are arguing about whether PROS should wear pro team
kit. And people say there is no such thing as progress.

Ben
bozo

Folsom Inmate
May 9th 05, 04:46 AM
"DA74" > wrote in news:1115581060.018946.178460
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> D) If you jagoffs see him, leave him alone. He doesn't want to talk or
> ride with you, no matter how cool you think you are or how lonely you
> think it must be to train alone. You're all freds to him.

I assume you're including yourself with the "jagoffs" and "freds," right?

I'm not going to disturb Horner while he's training. If I see him he's
either going the other way or has passed me, and it would take too much
effort to try to catch up to him, assuming he's going slow enough for that
to be even possible. If I did manage to ride up next to him, it would go
like this:

(me) "Hey Chris...huff...I...gasp...just...puff...wanted...g asp...
to...wish...puff...you good...cough...hack...luck... inna...gasp... pro
tour...wheeze"

(horner) "What?"

No thanks. I'd rather just follow his results on cyclingnews like everyone
else.

davetowle
May 9th 05, 06:54 AM
I've got to give that a "posting of the year" nomination.

Chris is the man, and we sure missed him in Georgia, he was the only
missing piece.

Watch Chris go top 10 at the Tdf, I have a feeing he does us proud!

--
davetowle

Andrew F Martin
May 9th 05, 10:08 AM
Chris is a surprisingly approachable guy. He actually approached me
the one race I did with him as we were warming up (killing time) on the
same road. Sure he's a Europro, but he's still a pretty decent guy.

Ewoud Dronkert
May 9th 05, 10:14 AM

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/browse_frm/thread/decb814a06b78e3b/9d2db60f055b51ed

--
Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/

Bob Schwartz
May 9th 05, 03:45 PM
davetowle > wrote:
> Watch Chris go top 10 at the Tdf, I have a feeing he does us proud!

Does anyone remember how Gord Fraser rode the Tour, collected a
bunch of top ten finishes and then abandoned? And then the next
year he rode in North America and won everything in sight?

The Tour is a big jump for a 33 year old guy who has never ridden
a grand tour and is coming off an injury. I will be rooting for
him. And I will be defining a successful participation much more
modestly.

Bob Schwartz

Mike Jacoubowsky
May 9th 05, 05:52 PM
> Over the last few weeks Chris Horner has been seen training on the
> American
> River bike trail in and around Sacramento. When seen, he's wearing the
> full
> Saunier Duval kit. Of course, this immediately places him miles above all
> the Cat 5's, Master Fatties and Freds who populate the trail.

He's on the payroll, he hasn't given up on the season, and wouldn't it raise
even more eyebrows if he was just trying to blend in? I doubt he's trying to
show off on the American River bike trail. If anything, he might rather be
incognito, maybe riding with friends from his former team. But I don't think
those are options, both contractually and practically. Let's hope things
work out for the guy; wish him a speedy recovery and quick return to the
peloton

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Bleet Norf
May 10th 05, 01:19 AM
Just to be safe, I'll give him one of my Team Internet jersies next time
I see him ;)

bn

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>>Over the last few weeks Chris Horner has been seen training on the
>>American
>>River bike trail in and around Sacramento. When seen, he's wearing the
>>full
>>Saunier Duval kit. Of course, this immediately places him miles above all
>>the Cat 5's, Master Fatties and Freds who populate the trail.
>

> He's on the payroll, he hasn't given up on the season, and wouldn't it raise
> even more eyebrows if he was just trying to blend in? I doubt he's trying to
> show off on the American River bike trail. If anything, he might rather be
> incognito, maybe riding with friends from his former team. But I don't think
> those are options, both contractually and practically. Let's hope things
> work out for the guy; wish him a speedy recovery and quick return to the
> peloton
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

gwhite
May 10th 05, 02:49 AM
Folsom Inmate wrote:

> I'm not going to disturb Horner while he's training.

Dumbass,

Consider acting normal. If you have something to say to him (or
anyone), say it. If you don't, don't. If you can't keep up, then it
all takes care of itself.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home