PDA

View Full Version : Less pain!

Ken
May 11th 05, 07:18 PM
I did my two lap ride this morning (total 23.86 miles) on the hardtailed
mtb, after making some small adjustments to the grip positions on the flat
bars. I moved all the shifters, brake levers and grips in towards the stem.
This feels like a much more natural position versus the grips way out at the
end of the bars. Seems to me that that would be okay if you are a gorilla
with wide shoulders. Anyway I still have an issue with my thumb going a
little numb, but much less that before. No wrist pain, no elbow or shoulder
pain!

So anyway 23.86 miles, slow average speed of 11.1 mph, ride lasted 2 hours
and 8 minutes. Or at least those are the numbers that my cheap schwinn
cyclo-computer spit out for this ride. Yeah I know its a cheap brand, but
being a newbie I thought it would be okay for now. I am sure with more
riding these numbers will improve. But seeing as how three months ago or so
I probably couldn't even ride 10 miles without feeling exhausted! I think I
am improving.

Ken

--
Remove "-dispose-trash" for email address
My personal webstie: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

GaryG
May 11th 05, 08:07 PM
"Ken" > wrote in message
> I did my two lap ride this morning (total 23.86 miles) on the hardtailed
> mtb, after making some small adjustments to the grip positions on the flat
> bars. I moved all the shifters, brake levers and grips in towards the
stem.
> This feels like a much more natural position versus the grips way out at
the
> end of the bars. Seems to me that that would be okay if you are a gorilla
> with wide shoulders. Anyway I still have an issue with my thumb going a
> little numb, but much less that before. No wrist pain, no elbow or
shoulder
> pain!
>
> So anyway 23.86 miles, slow average speed of 11.1 mph, ride lasted 2 hours
> and 8 minutes. Or at least those are the numbers that my cheap schwinn
> cyclo-computer spit out for this ride. Yeah I know its a cheap brand, but
> being a newbie I thought it would be okay for now. I am sure with more
> riding these numbers will improve. But seeing as how three months ago or
so
> I probably couldn't even ride 10 miles without feeling exhausted! I think
> am improving.
>
> Ken
>
> --
> Remove "-dispose-trash" for email address
> My personal webstie: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

You are improving. Right now, you're in that "golden" time when
improvements in fitness and endurance come fast. Enjoy it while you
can...after a couple of years of riding, it gets much harder to squeeze out
dramatic improvements.

FWIW, you'll have less pain, and a lot more speed, on a proper road bike. As
for hand pain - mtb's are rather notorious for that, because there's only a
single hand position (unlike road bike drop bars, which offer several
positions that you can switch between).

--
~_-*
....G/ \G
> My blog: http://mind-dribble.blogspot.com/

Joe Canuck
May 11th 05, 08:40 PM
Ken wrote:

> I did my two lap ride this morning (total 23.86 miles) on the hardtailed
> mtb, after making some small adjustments to the grip positions on the flat
> bars. I moved all the shifters, brake levers and grips in towards the stem.
> This feels like a much more natural position versus the grips way out at the
> end of the bars. Seems to me that that would be okay if you are a gorilla
> with wide shoulders. Anyway I still have an issue with my thumb going a
> little numb, but much less that before. No wrist pain, no elbow or shoulder
> pain!
>
> So anyway 23.86 miles, slow average speed of 11.1 mph, ride lasted 2 hours
> and 8 minutes. Or at least those are the numbers that my cheap schwinn
> cyclo-computer spit out for this ride. Yeah I know its a cheap brand, but
> being a newbie I thought it would be okay for now. I am sure with more
> riding these numbers will improve. But seeing as how three months ago or so
> I probably couldn't even ride 10 miles without feeling exhausted! I think I
> am improving.
>
> Ken

Cannot argue with less pain, but won't you have less control over the
steer when in the rough stuff with the grips closer to the stem?

Pat
May 11th 05, 09:36 PM
And concentrate on keeping those elbows in and not out flapping around.
That'll help with the hand pain as well.

Pat in TX

Ken
May 11th 05, 09:52 PM
"Joe Canuck" > wrote in message
> Ken wrote:
>
> > I did my two lap ride this morning (total 23.86 miles) on the hardtailed
> > mtb, after making some small adjustments to the grip positions on the
flat
> > bars. I moved all the shifters, brake levers and grips in towards the
stem.
> > This feels like a much more natural position versus the grips way out at
the
> > end of the bars. Seems to me that that would be okay if you are a
gorilla
> > with wide shoulders. Anyway I still have an issue with my thumb going a
> > little numb, but much less that before. No wrist pain, no elbow or
shoulder
> > pain!
> >
> > So anyway 23.86 miles, slow average speed of 11.1 mph, ride lasted 2
hours
> > and 8 minutes. Or at least those are the numbers that my cheap schwinn
> > cyclo-computer spit out for this ride. Yeah I know its a cheap brand,
but
> > being a newbie I thought it would be okay for now. I am sure with more
> > riding these numbers will improve. But seeing as how three months ago or
so
> > I probably couldn't even ride 10 miles without feeling exhausted! I
think I
> > am improving.
> >
> > Ken
> >

> Cannot argue with less pain, but won't you have less control over the
> steer when in the rough stuff with the grips closer to the stem?

Perhaps, but seeing as how I don't really ride this bike off road, I am not
too worried, I use this more like a city / comfort / commuter than a mtb.

Ken

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home