PDA

View Full Version : How interesting is my old Chicago Schwinn

Mark Mitchell
May 12th 05, 05:47 AM
Just bought this bike at the local police auction, before I realized it's
too big for me.

Check the serial number on a web site, turns out its a '73 Schwinn
Superior.

The frame condition looks good, loose headset, some broken spokes and
rusty spokes on the rear, needs some general cleaning up of old grease and
a new set of cables, tires look good.

My first thought when I realized I couldn't ride it was to hand it down to
my nephew. But, I let him ride my trek and he broke the chain and bent a
seat rail within about half an hour. He needs an old rockhopper or
something.

Now, my ideal would be if this sounds reasonable to trade straight across
for a decent old steel road bike primarily for commuting (not a BSO).

Does this sound reasonable?

Perhaps when it's ridable?

Whatcha think?

Mark

bbaka
May 12th 05, 06:42 AM
Mark Mitchell wrote:
> Just bought this bike at the local police auction, before I realized it's
> too big for me.
>
> Check the serial number on a web site, turns out its a '73 Schwinn
> Superior.
>
> The frame condition looks good, loose headset, some broken spokes and
> rusty spokes on the rear, needs some general cleaning up of old grease and
> a new set of cables, tires look good.
>
> My first thought when I realized I couldn't ride it was to hand it down to
> my nephew. But, I let him ride my trek and he broke the chain and bent a
> seat rail within about half an hour. He needs an old rockhopper or
> something.
>
> Now, my ideal would be if this sounds reasonable to trade straight across
> for a decent old steel road bike primarily for commuting (not a BSO).
>
> Does this sound reasonable?
>
> Perhaps when it's ridable?
>
> Whatcha think?
>
> Mark

Why not just fix it up and keep it as a collectors item or try to sell
it on E-bay?
If it is pre-Japan parts it should be worth something.
Bill Baka

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home