PDA

View Full Version : no sweat

1oki
May 12th 05, 03:08 PM
Not the most delicate question but I've been wondering about perspiration.

For me I seem to sweat predominantly from my back and head. I dated a
woman once who was very much more into cycling than I. One thing I noticed
was that she seemed to perspire pretty much evenly over her entire body. Me,
I rarely seem to sweat from the arms & legs and only from the front of the
abdomen when it's really hot or I'm really pushing it.

How do people sweat it out?

--
'All day long I think of things but nothing seems to satisfy.'
-black sabbath

Neil Brooks
May 12th 05, 03:19 PM
"1oki" > wrote:

> Not the most delicate question but I've been wondering about perspiration.
>
> For me I seem to sweat predominantly from my back and head. I dated a
>woman once who was very much more into cycling than I. One thing I noticed
>was that she seemed to perspire pretty much evenly over her entire body. Me,
>I rarely seem to sweat from the arms & legs and only from the front of the
>abdomen when it's really hot or I'm really pushing it.
>
> How do people sweat it out?

From my hair follicles to my toenails, leaving nothing out in between.

Ok, I just disgusted myself . . . but . . . when active, I *sweat*.
My sweat glands are anything but particular, firing readily,
prodigiously, and with great glee.

(Another reason to love my Ti bike!)

Neil "The Puddler" Brooks

(Sorni: that was a one-off. I don't owe you $ for that one).

bbaka
May 12th 05, 03:55 PM
1oki wrote:
> Not the most delicate question but I've been wondering about perspiration.
>
> For me I seem to sweat predominantly from my back and head. I dated a
> woman once who was very much more into cycling than I. One thing I noticed
> was that she seemed to perspire pretty much evenly over her entire body. Me,
> I rarely seem to sweat from the arms & legs and only from the front of the
> abdomen when it's really hot or I'm really pushing it.
>
> How do people sweat it out?
>
> --
> 'All day long I think of things but nothing seems to satisfy.'
> -black sabbath

Carry a ton of water and let the sweat run. I have gotten so wet that I
looked like I came out of a pool and that was on separate occasions, a
few mowing a lawn for an old lady in 110+ weather, and some from riding
the bike uphill on same 100+ days. I think you can sweat nearly a gallon
an hour if you are really working hard. Even a sweat band for my eyes
did no good on those occasions. If you venture far carry lots of water
bottles and a camel back or back pack with lots of juice containers in
it. Dehydration is no fun. I think the only places you can't sweat are
the palms and the bottoms of your feet, but I may be wrong on that.
Bill Baka

Fritz M
May 12th 05, 04:27 PM
Bill Baka wrote:
> I think the only places you can't sweat are
> the palms and the bottoms of your feet, but I may be wrong on that.

You might be thinking of dogs -- the *only* place they perspire is
through their feet.

Humans definitely get sweaty palms -- that's why we wear cycling
gloves, so our hands don't slide off the handlebars.

When I'm working hard my entire body can get drenched.

RFM

1oki
May 12th 05, 04:41 PM
"bbaka" > wrote in message
> 1oki wrote:
[...]
>> How do people sweat it out?

> Carry a ton of water and let the sweat run.

Oh, I do - actually h2o with a hint of pure undiluted cranberry juice.

I was thinking more about the distribution. My lady friend had the most
even sheen of perspiration, whereas for me it all seemed to come out of my
head and back.

--
'You keep using that word?
I dinna think it means

Peter Cole
May 12th 05, 05:01 PM
bbaka wrote:
> I think you can sweat nearly a gallon
> an hour if you are really working hard.

1 liter/hr is about normal for hard sweating, 2L is supposedly reached
by some rare individuals, a gallon is fiction.

Neil Brooks
May 12th 05, 05:11 PM
Peter Cole > wrote:

>bbaka wrote:
>> I think you can sweat nearly a gallon
>> an hour if you are really working hard.
>
>1 liter/hr is about normal for hard sweating, 2L is supposedly reached
>by some rare individuals, a gallon is fiction.

Don't believe it, Peter . . . and don't make me prove it. It's not
pretty.

The CFO where I worked thought he perspired more than I when running.
We weighed in before and after a grueling +/- 1hr hilly trail run. He
had lost 5lbs. I had lost 8 (which I promptly replaced....).

A pint's a pound the world around. 8# is a gallon (if sweat weighs
what water weighs?).

Pat Lamb
May 12th 05, 06:19 PM
1oki wrote:
> Not the most delicate question but I've been wondering about perspiration.
>
> For me I seem to sweat predominantly from my back and head. I dated a
> woman once who was very much more into cycling than I. One thing I noticed
> was that she seemed to perspire pretty much evenly over her entire body. Me,
> I rarely seem to sweat from the arms & legs and only from the front of the
> abdomen when it's really hot or I'm really pushing it.

I suspect you notice that sweat more where it doesn't dry off as fast.
Do you wear a helmet? Do you have hair on your head? Even if not, you
probably notice sweat running down your face into your eyes or mouth
more than you would on your legs. The back is easy to explain, unless
you ride backwards, it just doesn't catch as much air.

Pat

bryanska
May 12th 05, 06:35 PM
I sweat in a weird place: my left wrist.

>From age 8 to 18, I always wore a plastic digital watch on my left
wrist.

Now, sometimes, that wrist breaks out into a sweat exactly where the
watch would be.

Crazy.

Peter Cole
May 12th 05, 08:03 PM
Neil Brooks wrote:
> Peter Cole > wrote:
>

>>bbaka wrote:
>>
>>>I think you can sweat nearly a gallon
>>>an hour if you are really working hard.
>>
>>1 liter/hr is about normal for hard sweating, 2L is supposedly reached
>>by some rare individuals, a gallon is fiction.
>

> Don't believe it, Peter . . . and don't make me prove it. It's not
> pretty.
>
> The CFO where I worked thought he perspired more than I when running.
> We weighed in before and after a grueling +/- 1hr hilly trail run. He
> had lost 5lbs. I had lost 8 (which I promptly replaced....).
>
> A pint's a pound the world around. 8# is a gallon (if sweat weighs
> what water weighs?).

In a short duration event you might lose 3L/hr, if you were acclimated,
under severe conditions. That's not a sustainable rate, if for no other
reason than you can't resorb at half that rate.

An interesting article:
www.unlv.edu/faculty/jyoung/TemperatureRegulationFluidBalance.pdf

Suggests that 2-3L/hr is maximum.

1oki
May 12th 05, 08:25 PM
"Neil Brooks" > wrote in message
> Peter Cole > wrote:
>
>>bbaka wrote:
>>> I think you can sweat nearly a gallon
>>> an hour if you are really working hard.
>>
>>1 liter/hr is about normal for hard sweating, 2L is supposedly reached
>>by some rare individuals, a gallon is fiction.
>
> Don't believe it, Peter . . . and don't make me prove it. It's not
> pretty.
>
> The CFO where I worked thought he perspired more than I when running.
> We weighed in before and after a grueling +/- 1hr hilly trail run. He
> had lost 5lbs. I had lost 8 (which I promptly replaced....).
>
> A pint's a pound the world around. 8# is a gallon (if sweat weighs
> what water weighs?).

You're forgetting your Einstein: E=mC^2

I'm assuming you are expending energy whilst running.

--
'If you are out to describe the truth,
leave elegance to the tailor. -albert einstein

1oki
May 12th 05, 08:28 PM
"Pat Lamb" > wrote in message
> 1oki wrote:
>> Not the most delicate question but I've been wondering about
>> perspiration.
>>
>> For me I seem to sweat predominantly from my back and head. I dated a
>> woman once who was very much more into cycling than I. One thing I
>> noticed was that she seemed to perspire pretty much evenly over her
>> entire body. Me, I rarely seem to sweat from the arms & legs and only
>> from the front of the abdomen when it's really hot or I'm really pushing
>> it.
>
> I suspect you notice that sweat more where it doesn't dry off as fast. Do
> you wear a helmet? Do you have hair on your head? Even if not, you
> probably notice sweat running down your face into your eyes or mouth more
> than you would on your legs. The back is easy to explain, unless you ride
> backwards, it just doesn't catch as much air.

Just back from a beautiful 2 hour ride. I went East. A good work out but
surprisingly crisp! 10 C according to TWN, and breezy.

Actuallly I notice I sweat where the straps of the backpack are against my
chest. But still doesn't explain that ex-girlfriend's all-over sheen.

--
'There she is, William! The embodiment of love! Your Venus!
'Yes, how I hate her.' - from a knight's tale

1oki
May 12th 05, 08:31 PM
"bryanska" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I sweat in a weird place: my left wrist.
>
>>From age 8 to 18, I always wore a plastic digital watch on my left
> wrist.
>
> Now, sometimes, that wrist breaks out into a sweat exactly where the
> watch would be.

I notice that often when the only riding I've done for a while is my 15
minute commute, when I do go for a longer ride I seem to break out into a
sweat right at the 15 minute mark. I guess my body expects me to stop at
that point, became acclimatized to a 15 minute effort.

--
'Do you really think any part of this
should come to the attention of the authorities?'

Mark Mitchell
May 12th 05, 09:17 PM
On Thu, 12 May 2005 12:19:41 -0500, Pat Lamb wrote:

> 1oki wrote:
>> Not the most delicate question but I've been wondering about
>> perspiration.
>>
>> For me I seem to sweat predominantly from my back and head. I dated a
>> woman once who was very much more into cycling than I. One thing I
>> noticed was that she seemed to perspire pretty much evenly over her
>> entire body. Me, I rarely seem to sweat from the arms & legs and only
>> from the front of the abdomen when it's really hot or I'm really pushing
>> it.
>
> I suspect you notice that sweat more where it doesn't dry off as fast. Do
> you wear a helmet? Do you have hair on your head? Even if not, you
> probably notice sweat running down your face into your eyes or mouth more
> than you would on your legs. The back is easy to explain, unless you ride
> backwards, it just doesn't catch as much air.
>
> Pat

This is an excellent point. To the OP, try riding with normal intensity
on a stationary trainer. I think you'll find that you sweat all over too.

As far as your lady friend, 2 things come to mind, perhaps she dressed
differently than you do, or that 'all over sheen' was when she had just
stopped riding.

When you're riding hard, the sweat is drying as soon as it's excreted
(depending on local weather), when you stop riding the air passing over
your body stops too, but your sweat glands keep going for a minute or two.

Mark

bbaka
May 13th 05, 03:34 AM
1oki wrote:
> "bbaka" > wrote in message
>
>>1oki wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>> How do people sweat it out?
>

>>Carry a ton of water and let the sweat run.
>

> Oh, I do - actually h2o with a hint of pure undiluted cranberry juice.
>
> I was thinking more about the distribution. My lady friend had the most
> even sheen of perspiration, whereas for me it all seemed to come out of my
> head and back.
>
> --
> 'You keep using that word?
> I dinna think it means
> what you think it means.' -inigo montoya

If I am working hard in 100 degree F plus I sweat all over and drink
juice a quart at a time, or more. Mowing a thick lawn or climbing a
tough mountain can both put the hurt on you, but with the lawn the
fridge is only a short walk away.
Bill Baka

bbaka
May 13th 05, 03:37 AM
Peter Cole wrote:
> bbaka wrote:
>
>> I think you can sweat nearly a gallon an hour if you are really
>> working hard.
>

> 1 liter/hr is about normal for hard sweating, 2L is supposedly reached
> by some rare individuals, a gallon is fiction.

Well then I come close to fiction because we have 110 F days here and I
have done some hard yard work where I drank about a gallon an hour to
keep up. I can't even work out that hard on the bike because I can't
carry enough water, and the sweat blinds me anyway. At home I can just
hose the sweat off and cool down at the same time.
Bill Baka

bbaka
May 13th 05, 03:39 AM
Neil Brooks wrote:
> Peter Cole > wrote:
>

>>bbaka wrote:
>>
>>>I think you can sweat nearly a gallon
>>>an hour if you are really working hard.
>>
>>1 liter/hr is about normal for hard sweating, 2L is supposedly reached
>>by some rare individuals, a gallon is fiction.
>

> Don't believe it, Peter . . . and don't make me prove it. It's not
> pretty.
>
> The CFO where I worked thought he perspired more than I when running.
> We weighed in before and after a grueling +/- 1hr hilly trail run. He
> had lost 5lbs. I had lost 8 (which I promptly replaced....).
>
> A pint's a pound the world around. 8# is a gallon (if sweat weighs
> what water weighs?).

That's about how I measure my hydration for long hot rides, with the
scale before and after, and I have lost up to 6 pounds (out of 160)
after a hot ride, even when drinking water from many bottles.
Bill Baka

H M Leary
May 13th 05, 01:14 PM
In article >,
Peter Cole > wrote:

> bbaka wrote:
> > I think you can sweat nearly a gallon
> > an hour if you are really working hard.
>
> 1 liter/hr is about normal for hard sweating, 2L is supposedly reached
> by some rare individuals, a gallon is fiction.

Peter:

Bill Baka is all fiction...:)

HAND - Ride Safe

bbaka
May 13th 05, 02:23 PM
H M Leary wrote:
> In article >,
> Peter Cole > wrote:
>

>>bbaka wrote:
>>
>>>I think you can sweat nearly a gallon
>>>an hour if you are really working hard.
>>
>>1 liter/hr is about normal for hard sweating, 2L is supposedly reached
>>by some rare individuals, a gallon is fiction.
>

> Peter:
>
> Bill Baka is all fiction...:)
>
> HAND - Ride Safe

Not fiction about the sweating thing. When it is over 110 here it
doesn't matter that it is a dry heat, it's just god damned hot, and
exercise turns on the sweat faucets. I had the rare opportunity last
year to be dehydrated with my belly sloshing around about a half gallon
of juice, O.J., V-8, and Gatorade, but not being absorbed as fast as I
could sweat them out riding up a continuous hill with no shade at about
3:00 PM. I just kept going until I found a lone tree that provided some
shade and de-biked and sat for about a half hour while my body caught up
some with the fluid absorption. Riding de-hydrated is no fun and with a
full belly of juice it is just plain maddening, but does happen.
Bill Baka

BTW, check your facts. A small person of maybe 100 pounds can't sweat
that much but some of the people I know can, at 6'8" and 350 pounds. You
would not want to walk up to him and tell him he is full of ****, could
be the last time you argued something stupid. I have worked outside with
him on some heavy products and a half gallon disappears every time he
takes a drink, somewhat more than each half hour.

Peter Cole
May 13th 05, 02:38 PM
bbaka wrote:

> Not fiction about the sweating thing. When it is over 110 here it
> doesn't matter that it is a dry heat, it's just god damned hot, and
> exercise turns on the sweat faucets. I had the rare opportunity last
> year to be dehydrated with my belly sloshing around about a half gallon
> of juice, O.J., V-8, and Gatorade, but not being absorbed as fast as I
> could sweat them out riding up a continuous hill with no shade at about
> 3:00 PM. I just kept going until I found a lone tree that provided some
> shade and de-biked and sat for about a half hour while my body caught up
> some with the fluid absorption. Riding de-hydrated is no fun and with a
> full belly of juice it is just plain maddening, but does happen.

It's very common, nobody can resorb as fast as they can sweat.

If you did as much sweating as you claim you'd know that.

Juice sucks for rehydrating, you'd know that, too.

> BTW, check your facts. A small person of maybe 100 pounds can't sweat
> that much but some of the people I know can, at 6'8" and 350 pounds. You
> would not want to walk up to him and tell him he is full of ****, could
> be the last time you argued something stupid. I have worked outside with
> him on some heavy products and a half gallon disappears every time he
> takes a drink, somewhat more than each half hour.

I'm no 100 lb person. I'm 6'10 235. Your friend doesn't sweat more
because he is fat, he just has less heat tolerance.

Your macho posturing is tedious.

Michael
May 13th 05, 02:58 PM
1oki wrote:

> Not the most delicate question but I've been wondering about perspiration.
>
> For me I seem to sweat predominantly from my back and head. I dated a
> woman once who was very much more into cycling than I. One thing I noticed
> was that she seemed to perspire pretty much evenly over her entire body. Me,
> I rarely seem to sweat from the arms & legs and only from the front of the
> abdomen when it's really hot or I'm really pushing it.
>
> How do people sweat it out?
>
> --
> 'All day long I think of things but nothing seems to satisfy.'
> -black sabbath

Maybe sweat on arms and legs exaporates quickly because limbs are exposed to
max. air flow?

Yesterday was chilly, 53F. No sweat marks on my t-shirt but my head was
dripping wet. When I pulled off my cap, sweat that had collected under it
poured down my forehead and into my eyes as though I'd turned on a tap. Arms
and legs were completely dry. (In fact, during the ride I was dismayed to note
that my hands looked winter-dry ... and kinda purple.)

Michael
May 13th 05, 03:01 PM
1oki wrote:
(snip)
> Actuallly I notice I sweat where the straps of the backpack are against my
> chest. But still doesn't explain that ex-girlfriend's all-over sheen.

Don't you know?: Women glisten; men sweat. ;-)

Roger Zoul
May 13th 05, 03:14 PM
Michael > wrote:
:> 1oki wrote:
:> (snip)
:> > Actuallly I notice I sweat where the straps of the backpack are
:> > against my chest. But still doesn't explain that ex-girlfriend's
:> > all-over sheen.
:>
:>
:> Don't you know?: Women glisten; men sweat. ;-)

Yes...that's why glistening is so damn cool....

bbaka
May 13th 05, 11:20 PM
Peter Cole wrote:
> bbaka wrote:
>

>> Not fiction about the sweating thing. When it is over 110 here it
>> doesn't matter that it is a dry heat, it's just god damned hot, and
>> exercise turns on the sweat faucets. I had the rare opportunity last
>> year to be dehydrated with my belly sloshing around about a half
>> gallon of juice, O.J., V-8, and Gatorade, but not being absorbed as
>> fast as I could sweat them out riding up a continuous hill with no
>> shade at about 3:00 PM. I just kept going until I found a lone tree
>> that provided some shade and de-biked and sat for about a half hour
>> while my body caught up some with the fluid absorption. Riding
>> de-hydrated is no fun and with a full belly of juice it is just plain
>> maddening, but does happen.
>

> It's very common, nobody can resorb as fast as they can sweat.
>
> If you did as much sweating as you claim you'd know that.
>
> Juice sucks for rehydrating, you'd know that, too.

I know I can't resorb, that's why I stopped and waited. The 3 juices I
mentioned are perfectly good. OJ gives sugar energy and Potassium for
the heart, V-8 gives a lot of sugar, and Gatorade gives you sugar and
Sodium mostly. I just hate straight Gatorade, personal flavor thing.

>> BTW, check your facts. A small person of maybe 100 pounds can't sweat
>> that much but some of the people I know can, at 6'8" and 350 pounds.
>> You would not want to walk up to him and tell him he is full of ****,
>> could be the last time you argued something stupid. I have worked
>> outside with him on some heavy products and a half gallon disappears
>> every time he takes a drink, somewhat more than each half hour.
>

> I'm no 100 lb person. I'm 6'10 235. Your friend doesn't sweat more
> because he is fat, he just has less heat tolerance.
>
> Your macho posturing is tedious.

Who's posturing? I have known Dan for 27 years and we tinker on cars,
motorcycles, and electronics things a lot. And how in the hell can you
be 6'10 and only 235? That is way too skinny. Dan is that heavy because
he is an electrician in an industrial plant and has a lot of muscle mass
from lifting things others run from, but fat he is not. He just weighs
about twice what the average person does and sweats that much due to a
larger energy output. He has to eat 5,000 calories a day just to
maintain his weight. Dan is the gentle giant type and I am the
aggressive one, so go figure.
One final note is that it is only possible to maintain that high a rate
of sweat for an hour or two anyway before you get pretty fried from it,
electrolytes, or whatever.
Bill Baka

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home