PDA

View Full Version : NIOSH recommends noseless saddles

Ray Heindl
May 12th 05, 10:26 PM
<http://tinyurl.com/bqofs>
According to this article, NIOSH (Nat'l Institute for Occupational
Safety and Health) recommends that bicycle cops use noseless saddles to
avoid impotence. Unfortunately it doesn't say what kind of noseless
saddles. The two cops interviewed don't like them, not surprisingly.

Here's a NIOSH blurb about the study:
<http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/updates/upd-06-30-04-2.html>

--
Ray Heindl
(remove the Xs to reply)

Michael
May 13th 05, 03:21 PM
Ray Heindl wrote:

> <http://tinyurl.com/bqofs>
> According to this article, NIOSH (Nat'l Institute for Occupational
> Safety and Health) recommends that bicycle cops use noseless saddles to
> avoid impotence. Unfortunately it doesn't say what kind of noseless
> saddles. The two cops interviewed don't like them, not surprisingly.
>
> Here's a NIOSH blurb about the study:
> <http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/updates/upd-06-30-04-2.html>
>
> --
> Ray Heindl
> (remove the Xs to reply)

Interesting. I wonder about the extent to which the people setting up the study
paid attention to fitting subjects to test machines. Also, is the effecacy
(sp? I mean "efficientness") of a noseless saddle a function of a subject's
riding posture?

It could be that saddle type has little or no effect when subjects are properly
fitted to their machines.

(I don't know about you other guys but I was happy when I reached the age when
the incidence of "nocturnal erectile tumescence" decreased markedly; I always
disliked - and still don't like - being awakened by anyone or thing, so I
*really* hated being awakened by "morning wood".)

Bill Sornson
May 13th 05, 04:32 PM
Michael wrote: {snip the bike stuff}

> (I don't know about you other guys but I was happy when I reached the
> age when the incidence of "nocturnal erectile tumescence" decreased
> markedly; I always disliked - and still don't like - being awakened
> by anyone or thing, so I *really* hated being awakened by "morning
> wood".)

{wave of nostalgia washes over}

Got to admire a man who can rationalize the ravages of old age so well!
(It's all lies, of course, but still...)

I didn't mind THAT morning stiffness at all. Could do without the current
kind just fine.

Bill "exactly two months from a rather depressing birthday (but who's
counting?)" S.

Fritz M
May 13th 05, 05:47 PM
Michael wrote:

> It could be that saddle type has little or no effect when subjects
are properly
> fitted to their machines.

The article in the Cleveland paper told us as much.

"It just makes you feel like you are falling forward," [Cincinatti
bike
patrolman Jeff] Shari said. "I don't like it, the noseless saddle."

Shari, who has been a Cincinnati bike patrolman for nine years,
says the numbness comes from poorly adjusted bikes that don't fit
their riders. If the handlebars, seat and pedals are adjusted
correctly,
he says the problem can be avoided.

The *only* times I've had discomfort in the saddle is when the saddle's
not adjusted properly. Shari's "falling forward" feeling tells me he's
using his arms to push back and keep him on the saddle which is not the
way to ride a bike.

RFM

Michael
May 14th 05, 06:40 PM
Bill Sornson wrote:

> Michael wrote: {snip the bike stuff}
>
> > (I don't know about you other guys but I was happy when I reached the
> > age when the incidence of "nocturnal erectile tumescence" decreased
> > markedly; I always disliked - and still don't like - being awakened
> > by anyone or thing, so I *really* hated being awakened by "morning
> > wood".)
>
> {wave of nostalgia washes over}
>
> Got to admire a man who can rationalize the ravages of old age so well!
> (It's all lies, of course, but still...)
>
> I didn't mind THAT morning stiffness at all. Could do without the current
> kind just fine.
>
> Bill "exactly two months from a rather depressing birthday (but who's
> counting?)" S.

I could have mentioned - and doing so would have explained a lot - that no other
person shared the bed with me at that time.

As for hating to be awakened, what can I say except (loosely) quote Mark Twain:
I love my bed; if I could I would take it with me everywhere.

Michael "looking down both barrels of 58" C.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home