PDA

View Full Version : Under the weather

jj
May 15th 05, 06:55 PM
I've been unlucky enough to catch the flu from my wife, I think, and
haven't been able to ride since last Friday. I normally can workout when I
have a cold or flu but this time it's been different - I literally could
not get up the energy to ride. In the past I always had the idea that
heating up the system by working out would help kill the bug, and this
helped me get out there, unless I have a fever. (I don't).

Since I normally ride 7 days a week for an hour per day, I'm wondering what
I can expect once I get back to riding again. I'm hoping that this week off
will be seen by my body, and my muscles as a welcome rest - I was having
some muscle soreness due to increasing the tempo and speed of my workouts,
but I'm concerned that I will have lost a lot of conditioning in that
period. Should I go for a normal ride and push it if I feel like it, or
should I hold back?

Today, while still sick and coughing at night, I'm thinking about riding,
but I'm not sure it's a good idea. One thing that worries me is how
lethargic I've been feeling, and the extra need for sleep.

So I'm interested in opinions and experiences as to getting back on the
bike after a long week off.

jj

Tom Keats
May 15th 05, 07:20 PM
In article >,
> writes:

> So I'm interested in opinions and experiences as to getting back on the
> bike after a long week off.

I enquired about this a while back, and it seems a week off
is nothing to worry about. In fact, several weeks or even a
couple of months off might result in some conditioning loss,
but (assuming healthy recovery from illness,) it comes back
quickly.

At times when I've been forced (by travel, not illness,)
into a 1-2 week riding hiatus, I've found my first ride
afterward to be surprisingly strong; subesquent rides lapse
back to where I was before taking the time off.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Roger Zoul
May 15th 05, 08:53 PM
jj > wrote:
:> I've been unlucky enough to catch the flu from my wife, I think, and
:> haven't been able to ride since last Friday. I normally can workout
:> when I have a cold or flu but this time it's been different - I
:> literally could not get up the energy to ride. In the past I always
:> had the idea that heating up the system by working out would help
:> kill the bug, and this helped me get out there, unless I have a
:> fever. (I don't).
:>
:> Since I normally ride 7 days a week for an hour per day, I'm
:> wondering what I can expect once I get back to riding again. I'm
:> hoping that this week off will be seen by my body, and my muscles as
:> a welcome rest - I was having some muscle soreness due to increasing
:> the tempo and speed of my workouts, but I'm concerned that I will
:> have lost a lot of conditioning in that period. Should I go for a
:> normal ride and push it if I feel like it, or should I hold back?
:>
:> Today, while still sick and coughing at night, I'm thinking about
:> riding, but I'm not sure it's a good idea. One thing that worries me
:> is how lethargic I've been feeling, and the extra need for sleep.

Hell no, it's not a good idea. Stay off the bike until you feel normal
again.

:>
:> So I'm interested in opinions and experiences as to getting back on
:> the bike after a long week off.

A long week off won't make much difference. And even if it did, tough.
Your health is more important as is your long-term ability to ride.

Focus on recovery.

:>
:> jj

Leo Lichtman
May 15th 05, 09:13 PM
jj wrote: (clip) Today, while still sick and coughing at night, I'm
thinking about riding, but I'm not sure it's a good idea. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Feeling sick is nature's way of telling you to rest. The monkeys, and their
descendants, who were inclined to ride bicycles when they were sick were
less likely to survive. This is how your body knows it's not wise to ride
until you feel better. Listen to your body.

jj
May 15th 05, 10:12 PM
On Sun, 15 May 2005 11:20:00 -0700, (Tom Keats)
wrote:

>In article >,
> > writes:
>
>> So I'm interested in opinions and experiences as to getting back on the
>> bike after a long week off.
>
>I enquired about this a while back, and it seems a week off
>is nothing to worry about. In fact, several weeks or even a
>couple of months off might result in some conditioning loss,
>but (assuming healthy recovery from illness,) it comes back
>quickly.
>
>At times when I've been forced (by travel, not illness,)
>into a 1-2 week riding hiatus, I've found my first ride
>afterward to be surprisingly strong; subesquent rides lapse
>back to where I was before taking the time off.

Well that was my experience today. I had very good endurance, and
absolutely no effect on my breathing or lungs. I expected to be out of
breath due to the coughing and congestion, but nope, not at all.

Legs felt a little wobbly at start, but smoothed out after about 10
minutes. Glad I got out. Thanks for the input.

jj

>cheers,
> Tom

people
May 15th 05, 11:14 PM
I d say, just relax and take your time until you are recovered!!

May 16th 05, 03:34 AM
On Sun, 15 May 2005 17:12:20 -0400, > wrote:

>On Sun, 15 May 2005 11:20:00 -0700, (Tom Keats)
>wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> > writes:
>>
>>> So I'm interested in opinions and experiences as to getting back on the
>>> bike after a long week off.
>>
>>I enquired about this a while back, and it seems a week off
>>is nothing to worry about. In fact, several weeks or even a
>>couple of months off might result in some conditioning loss,
>>but (assuming healthy recovery from illness,) it comes back
>>quickly.
>>
>>At times when I've been forced (by travel, not illness,)
>>into a 1-2 week riding hiatus, I've found my first ride
>>afterward to be surprisingly strong; subesquent rides lapse
>>back to where I was before taking the time off.
>
>Well that was my experience today. I had very good endurance, and
>absolutely no effect on my breathing or lungs. I expected to be out of
>breath due to the coughing and congestion, but nope, not at all.
>
>Legs felt a little wobbly at start, but smoothed out after about 10
>minutes. Glad I got out. Thanks for the input.

I had a virus a few weeks ago, not the flu, but for a few days just
felt too tired to do anything. When I went on my first ride my legs
felt sort of heavy, and i didn't have the usual energy. I expected
that. It takes a little while sometimes to get back the normal energy,
especially if you haven't had much appetite and havent' eaten enough.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home