PDA

View Full Version : One week to go....

Maggie
May 16th 05, 10:56 AM
It seems like yesterday when I signed up to ride 25 miles for charity.
Now I am down to one week left... I truly enjoyed the March of Dimes
charity walk....so hopefully this charity "RIDE" will be just as much
fun. I'm hoping to ride every day this week.

I thought I might get alot of riding in this past weekend, but my
daughters Convocation Ceremony at the University went on for hours.
Alot of students earned their Masters this year. Next Sunday is the
ride and Saturday is my daughters engagement party. Hopefully I can
get my ass out of bed in the morning.

I certainly can understand why Lance Armstrong is retiring. I just
want to do a silly 25 mile charity ride....but with family obligations,
there is not alot of time for riding. Every weekend there is another
family obligation. Including taking a plane to Nevada to see my
niece's first holy communion.

I'm not complaining about it, my kids are my life....but between
working 8 - 5, and my family....I have no idea where all of you fit in
so much time for riding. I just can't seem to manage it. What the heck
am I doing wrong?

My parents are elderly, I have a husband who does not share my love of
riding, and three grown children who are all at major crossroads in
their lives. Plus I have my own business I am trying to keep afloat
and classes I am taking to finish a degree. (If the University were
not all all all all uphill, I would ride to school, but its like going
up Mt. Everest for me.)

Anyway, I ride Sunday and Its been very hard trying to get alot of
riding time in. BUT...I've lost 20 lbs. So the training I did do, was
well worth it.....it is certainly helping me.

Any pointers for Sundays charity ride would be appreciated. I just
want to be able to finish it. It is my birthday the day of the ride,
and finishing it, would be a great gift to myself. ;-)

Maggie....Determined and looking for encouragement.

Roy Owen
May 16th 05, 11:42 AM
Maggie wrote:
> It seems like yesterday when I signed up to ride 25 miles for charity.
> Now I am down to one week left... I truly enjoyed the March of Dimes
> charity walk....so hopefully this charity "RIDE" will be just as much
> fun. I'm hoping to ride every day this week.
>
> I thought I might get alot of riding in this past weekend, but my
> daughters Convocation Ceremony at the University went on for hours.
> Alot of students earned their Masters this year. Next Sunday is the
> ride and Saturday is my daughters engagement party. Hopefully I can
> get my ass out of bed in the morning.
>
> I certainly can understand why Lance Armstrong is retiring. I just
> want to do a silly 25 mile charity ride....but with family obligations,
> there is not alot of time for riding. Every weekend there is another
> family obligation. Including taking a plane to Nevada to see my
> niece's first holy communion.
>
> I'm not complaining about it, my kids are my life....but between
> working 8 - 5, and my family....I have no idea where all of you fit in
> so much time for riding. I just can't seem to manage it. What the heck
> am I doing wrong?
>
> My parents are elderly, I have a husband who does not share my love of
> riding, and three grown children who are all at major crossroads in
> their lives. Plus I have my own business I am trying to keep afloat
> and classes I am taking to finish a degree. (If the University were
> not all all all all uphill, I would ride to school, but its like going
> up Mt. Everest for me.)
>
> Anyway, I ride Sunday and Its been very hard trying to get alot of
> riding time in. BUT...I've lost 20 lbs. So the training I did do, was
> well worth it.....it is certainly helping me.
>
> Any pointers for Sundays charity ride would be appreciated. I just
> want to be able to finish it. It is my birthday the day of the ride,
> and finishing it, would be a great gift to myself. ;-)
>
> Maggie....Determined and looking for encouragement.

Maggie,
I new to the forum so I don't know what kind of bike you have or how far
you ride each day however, here are a few suggestions.

Don't over-do training this week, take your time. If you can ride 8
miles three times a week you can ride 25 once.

If you have a heart rate monitor use it, keep you heart rate in your
proper zone.

Make sure you have your water bottles with you. Fill one with water and
the other with a diluted re-hydration solution. (1/3 water 2/3 Gatorade).

Above all relax and have fun. It's not a race so if it takes you 2 1/2
hours it's not a problem.

Really 25 miles is a short ride. When I was racing we'd ride 25 miles
is about 1:10 for our hard rides then the next night do a 40 mile ride
in about 3:00.

You'll do fine and I suspect you'll even surprise yourself on how well
you do.

Roy

araby
May 16th 05, 01:55 PM
"Maggie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> It seems like yesterday when I signed up to ride 25 miles for charity.
> Now I am down to one week left... I truly enjoyed the March of Dimes
> charity walk....so hopefully this charity "RIDE" will be just as much
> fun. I'm hoping to ride every day this week.
>
> I thought I might get alot of riding in this past weekend, but my
> daughters Convocation Ceremony at the University went on for hours.
> Alot of students earned their Masters this year. Next Sunday is the
> ride and Saturday is my daughters engagement party. Hopefully I can
> get my ass out of bed in the morning.
>
> I certainly can understand why Lance Armstrong is retiring. I just
> want to do a silly 25 mile charity ride....but with family obligations,
> there is not alot of time for riding. Every weekend there is another
> family obligation. Including taking a plane to Nevada to see my
> niece's first holy communion.
>
> I'm not complaining about it, my kids are my life....but between
> working 8 - 5, and my family....I have no idea where all of you fit in
> so much time for riding. I just can't seem to manage it. What the heck
> am I doing wrong?

How many potential riding hours do you expend composing and sending messages
to this group?

> Maggie....Determined and looking for encouragement.

Just stop thinking about it and do it. 25 miles is really no big deal.

Good luck

Roy

Maggie
May 16th 05, 02:02 PM
araby wrote:

> How many potential riding hours do you expend composing and sending
messages
> to this group?
>
> Roy

I AM AT WORK.....My boss would notice if I rode my bicycle around the
office. :-) He doesn't notice is I read the newsgroup or compose a
message.
I manage the office.

So these are "ZERO potential riding hours" I am using. I really can't
ride now.

Maggie

Bruce Freeburger
May 16th 05, 02:55 PM
Ray,
Do NOT dilute a sport drink. There is an optimum concentration of 6%
to 8% carbohydrates. Gatorade is 7%.

The most important time to to feed your muscles is a 30 to 45 minute
window that starts about 5 minutes after exercise.

For a moderate bike ride of an hour of less drink water and drink a
recovery drink like Endurox R4 (39 ml of table sugar in 14 ounces of
skim milk is almost identical in carbs/protein).

Your body can not digest calories as fast as you are burning
calories. For rides of several hours, you need to minimize that deficit.
A drink thicker than a sports drink, a cola (Coke & Pepsi) with the
carbonation gone flat for example, will cause cramps. Also too thick are
sport gels IF YOU DON'T DRINK WATER!!! Sport gels are the carbs and
electrolytes of a sport drink with no water. Many races have water stops
that were just that, water only. The gels are for racers, but can be
used on rides where you know you can get lots of drinking water.

For rides of several hours, riding close but below your lactate
threshold (65% to 75% of MHR is safe) divide your weight in pounds by 3
to get the number of grams per hour of carbs you can digest. If you
weight 150 pounds, the grams would be 50 per hour. Powdered Gatorade (a
good example because it is easy to find in supermarkets and cheaper than
bottled sports drinks) has 15 grams of carbs per 8 ounces. That comes
out to 27 ounces of Gatorade every hour. If you have 28 ounce water
bottles you can just fill them a ounce short and drink 1/2 a water
bottle every half hour INCLUDING THE FIRST HOUR.

For a 175 pound rider, the grams are 58 per hour. I use powdered
Powerade (costs less and has 72 grams per quart, still in the 6% to 8%
range). For Gatorade it would be a Zefel 32 ounce bottle every 62
minutes. For Powerade it would be 26 ounces an hour, or a Zefel bottle
every 75 minutes. Using 3 Gatorade 25 ml scoops, instead of 4 Powerade
20 ml scoops for mixing Powerade will slightly weaken it to 70 minutes
per Zefel bottle. I drink half a liter every 36 minutes, which lets me
go 3 1/2 hours on two water bottles.

Cheers,
Bruce

Roy Owen wrote:
> Make sure you have your water bottles with you. Fill one with water and
> the other with a diluted re-hydration solution. (1/3 water 2/3 Gatorade).

Leo Lichtman
May 16th 05, 05:25 PM
"Maggie" wrote: (clip) I certainly can understand why Lance Armstrong is
retiring. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I mean this in a good-natured way, Maggie, so I hope not to offend you, but
that's like me saying, "I understand the question about riding bra-less."

Bill Sornson
May 16th 05, 05:35 PM
Bruce Freeburger top-posted:
> Ray,
> Do NOT dilute a sport drink. There is an optimum concentration of
> 6% to 8% carbohydrates. Gatorade is 7%.
>
> The most important time to to feed your muscles is a 30 to 45
> minute window that starts about 5 minutes after exercise.
>
> For a moderate bike ride of an hour of less drink water and drink
> a recovery drink like Endurox R4 (39 ml of table sugar in 14 ounces of
> skim milk is almost identical in carbs/protein).
>
> Your body can not digest calories as fast as you are burning
> calories. For rides of several hours, you need to minimize that
> deficit. A drink thicker than a sports drink, a cola (Coke &
> Pepsi) with the carbonation gone flat for example, will cause cramps.
> Also too thick are sport gels IF YOU DON'T DRINK WATER!!! Sport
> gels are the carbs and electrolytes of a sport drink with no water.
> Many races have water stops that were just that, water only. The gels
> are for racers, but can be used on rides where you know you can get
> lots of drinking water.
>
> For rides of several hours, riding close but below your lactate
> threshold (65% to 75% of MHR is safe) divide your weight in pounds by
> 3 to get the number of grams per hour of carbs you can digest. If you
> weight 150 pounds, the grams would be 50 per hour. Powdered Gatorade
> (a good example because it is easy to find in supermarkets and
> cheaper than bottled sports drinks) has 15 grams of carbs per 8
> ounces. That comes out to 27 ounces of Gatorade every hour. If you
> have 28 ounce water bottles you can just fill them a ounce short and
> drink 1/2 a water bottle every half hour INCLUDING THE FIRST HOUR.
>
> For a 175 pound rider, the grams are 58 per hour. I use powdered
> Powerade (costs less and has 72 grams per quart, still in the 6% to 8%
> range). For Gatorade it would be a Zefel 32 ounce bottle every 62
> minutes. For Powerade it would be 26 ounces an hour, or a Zefel bottle
> every 75 minutes. Using 3 Gatorade 25 ml scoops, instead of 4 Powerade
> 20 ml scoops for mixing Powerade will slightly weaken it to 70 minutes
> per Zefel bottle. I drink half a liter every 36 minutes, which lets me
> go 3 1/2 hours on two water bottles.
>
> Cheers,
> Bruce
>

> Roy Owen wrote:
>> Make sure you have your water bottles with you. Fill one with water
>> and the other with a diluted re-hydration solution. (1/3 water 2/3
>> Gatorade).

Maggie, ignore all that. (Well, Ray's advice is at least appropriate; Bruce
thinks you're banging out a double-century in 100-degree heat.)

JUST SHOW UP FOR THE EVENT. The rest (a fun little bike ride with pleasant
people) will take care of itself. (Heck, even if you have any problems like
a flat or mechanical, you'll get all the help you need.) Eat some banana
sections and orange wedges just cuz the others do; I go straight for the
mini M&Ms myself.

HAVE FUN, DAMMIT.

BS :-D

Maggie
May 16th 05, 05:42 PM
Leo Lichtman wrote:
> "Maggie" wrote: (clip) I certainly can understand why Lance
Armstrong is
> retiring. (clip)
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I mean this in a good-natured way, Maggie, so I hope not to offend
you, but
> that's like me saying, "I understand the question about riding
bra-less."

Why, you think I am not competing in the TdF with Lance? How little
you know. And what is it like having an appendage with a mind of its
own. ;-)

Maggie

Roy Owen
May 16th 05, 06:23 PM
Maggie wrote:
> Leo Lichtman wrote:
>
>>"Maggie" wrote: (clip) I certainly can understand why Lance
>
> Armstrong is
>
>>retiring. (clip)
>>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>I mean this in a good-natured way, Maggie, so I hope not to offend
>
> you, but
>
>>that's like me saying, "I understand the question about riding
>
> bra-less."
>
> Why, you think I am not competing in the TdF with Lance? How little
> you know. And what is it like having an appendage with a mind of its
> own. ;-)
>
> Maggie

Sometimes it's kinda fun others it's just plain embarassing. However
the older I get the "mind of it's own (or any other) it has".

--
Roy Owen

Keep the leather side up,
and the rubber side down.

Roy Owen
May 16th 05, 06:26 PM
Bill Sornson wrote:
> [...]
>>per Zefel bottle. I drink half a liter every 36 minutes, which lets me
>>go 3 1/2 hours on two water bottles.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Bruce
>>

>>Roy Owen wrote:
>>
>>>Make sure you have your water bottles with you. Fill one with water
>>>and the other with a diluted re-hydration solution. (1/3 water 2/3
>>>Gatorade).
>

> Maggie, ignore all that. (Well, Ray's advice is at least appropriate; Bruce
> thinks you're banging out a double-century in 100-degree heat.)
>
> JUST SHOW UP FOR THE EVENT. The rest (a fun little bike ride with pleasant
> people) will take care of itself. (Heck, even if you have any problems like
> a flat or mechanical, you'll get all the help you need.) Eat some banana
> sections and orange wedges just cuz the others do; I go straight for the

Thanks for the support Bill, I was trying to encourage Maggie but I
didn't know how to respond to Bruce so I figured I'd let it go.

Maggie, Bill is right above all have fun.

--
Roy Owen

Keep the leather side up,
and the rubber side down.

Bill Sornson
May 16th 05, 06:47 PM
Roy Owen wrote:
> [...]
>>> minutes, which lets me go 3 1/2 hours on two water bottles.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Bruce

>> Maggie, ignore all that. (Well, Ray's advice is at least
>> appropriate; Bruce thinks you're banging out a double-century in
>> 100-degree heat.)
>>
>> JUST SHOW UP FOR THE EVENT. The rest (a fun little bike ride with
>> pleasant people) will take care of itself. (Heck, even if you have
>> any problems like a flat or mechanical, you'll get all the help you
>> need.) Eat some banana sections and orange wedges just cuz the
>> others do; I go straight for the mini M&Ms myself.
>>
>> HAVE FUN, DAMMIT.
>>
>> BS :-D
>>

> Thanks for the support Bill, I was trying to encourage Maggie but I
> didn't know how to respond to Bruce so I figured I'd let it go.
>
> Maggie, Bill is right above all have fun.

And don't call Roy Ray. (D'oh! Sorry 'bout that.)

Roy Owen
May 16th 05, 07:26 PM

No problem.

--
Roy Owen

Keep the leather side up,
and the rubber side down.

Maggie
May 16th 05, 07:46 PM
Bill Sornson wrote:
> Maggie, ignore all that. (Well, Ray's advice is at least
appropriate; Bruce
> thinks you're banging out a double-century in 100-degree heat.)

Do you actually think I understood any of that? This is Maggie your
writing to.....I had no clue. I'm bringing water and a smile.

Maggie

Roy Owen
May 16th 05, 08:07 PM
Maggie wrote:
> Bill Sornson wrote:
>
>>Maggie, ignore all that. (Well, Ray's advice is at least
>
> appropriate; Bruce
>
>>thinks you're banging out a double-century in 100-degree heat.)
>

> Do you actually think I understood any of that? This is Maggie your
> writing to.....I had no clue. I'm bringing water and a smile.
>
> Maggie

Double century is a 200 mile ride, not for the faint of heart. The
reason I suggested diluting the Gatorade was that if you are not used to
the physical exertion full strength Gatorade (or other drink with carbs)
can cause cramps. You'll do fine with water. Have fun, and let us know
how well you do.

--
Roy Owen

Keep the leather side up,
and the rubber side down.

Maggie
May 16th 05, 08:37 PM
Roy Owen wrote:
Have fun, and let us know
> how well you do.
>
> --
> Roy Owen

Don't worry about that one.....I will probably write a novel about it.
:-)

And I will write it during work. ;-)

Maggie.

Tom Keats
May 16th 05, 09:00 PM
In article . com>,
"Maggie" > writes:

> Roy Owen wrote:
> Have fun, and let us know
>> how well you do.
>>
>> --
>> Roy Owen
>

> Don't worry about that one.....I will probably write a novel about it.
>:-)
>
> And I will write it during work. ;-)

If you don't already have a camera, I suggest getting
at least one of those cheap disposable cameras, and
snapping some memento pix at the event.

And if you're so inclined, a bunch of cookies or
brownies or something like that to share around can
make a great social icebreaker.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Leo Lichtman
May 16th 05, 09:35 PM
"Maggie" wrote: (clip) And what is it like having an appendage with a mind
of its own. ;-)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well, Maggie, the best answer comes from a friend of mine: "The little head
tells the big head what to do." You sound like one sexy broad, a couple of
decades younger than me. I wish we could meet, if only for a bike ride.

Beverly
May 16th 05, 09:51 PM
Maggie wrote:
> Bill Sornson wrote:
> > Maggie, ignore all that. (Well, Ray's advice is at least
> appropriate; Bruce
> > thinks you're banging out a double-century in 100-degree heat.)
>
> Do you actually think I understood any of that? This is Maggie your
> writing to.....I had no clue. I'm bringing water and a smile.
>
> Maggie

The water and smile should be sufficient but I would throw an energy
bar into a pocket just in case. I've learned from experience never to
head out on a bike ride without one. You can get into trouble even on
short rides if your last meal was hours beforehand.

Have fun Maggie.

Beverly

gds
May 16th 05, 10:16 PM
Beverly wrote:
> Maggie wrote:
>
> The water and smile should be sufficient but I would throw an energy
> bar into a pocket just in case. I've learned from experience never
> head out on a bike ride without one. You can get into trouble even
on
> short rides if your last meal was hours beforehand.
>
> Have fun Maggie.
>
> Beverly

The have fun part is the important line. But be careful about packing
that energy bar. All that extra weight could be a real problem.

Tom Keats
May 16th 05, 10:28 PM
In article . com>,
"gds" > writes:

> The have fun part is the important line. But be careful about packing
> that energy bar. All that extra weight could be a real problem.

If she lashes it to a shoe or a crank it would be
revolving weight (if that makes any difference.)

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Emily
May 16th 05, 11:34 PM
Maggie wrote:
> araby wrote:
>
>>How many potential riding hours do you expend composing and sending
>
> messages
>
>>to this group?
>>
>>Roy
>

> I AM AT WORK.....My boss would notice if I rode my bicycle around the
> office. :-) He doesn't notice is I read the newsgroup or compose a
> message.
> I manage the office.
>
> So these are "ZERO potential riding hours" I am using. I really can't
> ride now.
>
> Maggie

Nice comeback, Maggie! ;-)

~Emily

P.S. You can do the 25 miles. I did my first 25 mile event over a
decade ago, in terrible shape, hadn't trained much at all. Just take it
slow, chat with other riders of your pace (makes the miles go by much
faster), and you'll be smiling at the end! Remember to drink enough and
eat a snack at the rest stop so you don't bonk (and a nice breakfast
beforehand - oatmeal or peanut butter toast, something with substance).
And as others have said, HAVE FUN!

Leo Lichtman
May 17th 05, 01:24 AM
"Tom Keats" wrote: If she lashes it to a shoe or a crank it would be
revolving weight (if that makes any difference.)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Rotational weight (strictly speaking, mass) has a greater effect than
non-rotational, because if its moment of inertia. Furthermore, a single
rotating energy bar could have a devastating effect on dynamic balance. The
bars should be lashed on in PAIRS, and also eaten pairs. If you ride with a
partner, this could add a charming social aspect to the ride.

Tom Keats
May 17th 05, 07:47 AM
In article >,
"Leo Lichtman" > writes:

> "Tom Keats" wrote: If she lashes it to a shoe or a crank it would be
> revolving weight (if that makes any difference.)
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Rotational weight (strictly speaking, mass) has a greater effect than
> non-rotational, because if its moment of inertia.

I said "revolving" because the axis would be external
to the energy bar.

> Furthermore, a single
> rotating energy bar could have a devastating effect on dynamic balance.

D'oh! I shoulda thunk o' that.

> The
> bars should be lashed on in PAIRS, and also eaten pairs. If you ride with a
> partner, this could add a charming social aspect to the ride.

Maybe Maggie can figure out a way to dangle a couple
of energy bars on her handlebar (one on each side,
of course.) Then they could also serve as a crude
speedometer.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Bob
May 17th 05, 08:14 AM
Most charity rides- or at least those that are properly organized- have
multiple rest stops. Stop at each one for at least a few minutes. A 25
mile ride with just three rest stops isn't *really* a 25 miler. It's
five 5 milers strung together. Piece of cake, right?

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Maggie
May 17th 05, 10:33 AM
Leo Lichtman wrote:
You sound like one sexy broad, a couple of decades younger than me. I
wish we could meet, if only for a bike ride.

How old are you 80? And I am one sexy old broad. ;-)

Maggie

Colorado Bicycler
May 17th 05, 12:50 PM
Enjoy yourself.

For a 25 mile ride, I would go "low tech."

Some water (I hate Gatorade - makes me sick - I prefer Poweraid, yes
DILUTED) one bottle of water, one of Poweraid, a banana, and some good
chocolate chip cookies.

You will be through the 25 miles before you know it.

BTW, how far is it too work? If you can, ride a bit - perhaps take
your car and bike part of the way and ride the rest of the way, and
even walk your bike up that hill.

Eventually, you will be able to make it up that hill. Is that a
possibility? Not for this weekend, though, but for in the future.

Again, HAVE FUN!.

Maggie
May 17th 05, 01:21 PM
Colorado Bicycler wrote:
> Enjoy yourself.

I've decided to stop worrying about this charity ride. I have less than
a week.....and if I can't manage it now, I am not going to manage it
Sunday. I am sure the atmosphere at a charity bike ride is basically
the same as the charity walk I accomplished. People are truly nice and
no one is in a race to win. JUST FINISH.

Plus I am wearing my size 10 slacks today. I AM ONE HAPPY OLD BROAD.
I never thought I would be in this size again. I may eventually fit in
my "skinny jeans". They are still hanging in my closet...... I am
beginning to think anything is possible. ;-) Fitting in my skinny
jeans would really be a thrill for me. And I owe it all to a bicycle.

Go figure.

I have to be thin before I buy my mother of the bride dress. I have a
year to do this. This will be a summer of biking. Biking and walking
and going to the gym. FOR SURE!!!

Maggie.

Colorado Bicycler
May 17th 05, 03:39 PM
> Fitting in my skinny jeans would really be a thrill for me.

That would be a thrill for many of us! :o)

Leo Lichtman
May 17th 05, 08:00 PM
"Maggie" wrote: How old are you 80?(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Gosh, no! I'm only 77, but I have the mind and body of a 75 year old, now
that I've had my hip replaced, and I'm back on my bike.

Maggie
May 17th 05, 09:24 PM
Leo Lichtman wrote:
> "Maggie" wrote: How old are you 80?(clip)
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Gosh, no! I'm only 77, but I have the mind and body of a 75 year
old, now
> that I've had my hip replaced, and I'm back on my bike.

Well lets go for a bike ride. I'll wait for you. When can you get
here.

Maggie

Roy Owen
May 17th 05, 10:10 PM
Tom Keats wrote:
> In article >,
> "Leo Lichtman" > writes:
>
>>"Tom Keats" wrote: If she lashes it to a shoe or a crank it would be
>>revolving weight (if that makes any difference.)
>>^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>Rotational weight (strictly speaking, mass) has a greater effect than
>>non-rotational, because if its moment of inertia.
>

> I said "revolving" because the axis would be external
> to the energy bar.
>

>>Furthermore, a single
>>rotating energy bar could have a devastating effect on dynamic balance.
>

> D'oh! I shoulda thunk o' that.
>

>>The
>>bars should be lashed on in PAIRS, and also eaten pairs. If you ride with a
>>partner, this could add a charming social aspect to the ride.
>

> Maybe Maggie can figure out a way to dangle a couple
> of energy bars on her handlebar (one on each side,
> of course.) Then they could also serve as a crude
> speedometer.
>

> cheers,
> Tom

There used to be a brand of energy bar (can't recall too many years ago)
that was very sticky. We'd just unwrap them and smack them to the top
tube. Also Pop-Tarts in the jersey pocket work well too. After about
10 miles they are quite warm and toasty.

Maggie
May 18th 05, 02:38 PM
Emily wrote:
> Maggie wrote:
> > araby wrote:

How many potential riding hours do you expend composing and sending
messages to this group?
Roy

I AM AT WORK.....My boss would notice if I rode my bicycle around the
office. So these are "ZERO potential riding hours" I am using. I
really can't ride now.

Maggie

> Nice comeback, Maggie! ;-)
>
> ~Emily

Thank you Emily. And thanks for your encouragement and your advice.

Right now I have a banged up knee. I hope it heals by this weekend. I
can't believe I fell because I was knocked over by a cyclist while
walking..just before my ride.

That could only happen to me. I wonder if the universe is trying to
tell me something. Ummmmmm.

Maggie

Will
May 18th 05, 02:57 PM
Maggie wrote:
> Colorado Bicycler wrote:
This will be a summer of biking. Biking and walking
> and going to the gym. FOR SURE!!!

Ride 35 or 40 minutes 5 times a week, forget the gym, get a set of
light dumbells and a book from the library on how to use them. Those
old jeans will be a done deal.

cheers

Will

Leo Lichtman
May 18th 05, 05:56 PM
"Maggie" wrotre: Well lets go for a bike ride. I'll wait for you. When can
you get here.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'll be there "as soon as possible." You'll know me, 'cause I'll be wearing
a white carnation on my Lycra riding shirt.

Sorry about your walking vs biker mishap, and I hope it doesn't interfere
with your upcoming 25 mile ride. BTW, don't forget--those rides always have
a sag wagon, so you don't have to finish the whole ride if things get rough.
Matter of fact, if you start to have trouble, it would be SMART to ride the
sag wagon.

Maggie
May 18th 05, 06:10 PM
Leo Lichtman wrote:
> I'll be there "as soon as possible." You'll know me, 'cause I'll be
wearing
> a white carnation on my Lycra riding shirt.

Ok, I will wait. I will be the one in the pink lycra spandex with a
Gucci purse hanging off the handlebars of my bike. ;-)

Love
Maggie

Johhny Two Pedals
May 18th 05, 06:59 PM
Maggie wrote:
> Bill Sornson wrote:
> > Maggie, ignore all that. (Well, Ray's advice is at least
> appropriate; Bruce
> > thinks you're banging out a double-century in 100-degree heat.)
>
> Do you actually think I understood any of that? This is Maggie your
> writing to.....I had no clue. I'm bringing water and a smile.
>
> Maggie

While I wholeheartedly endorse the water and a smile, may I recommend
(purely for comfort's sake)at least a pair of shorts? Bicycle saddles
can cause a certain amount of chafing in the "heathen region"...

Don't fret the mileage....eat reasonably at breakfast, drink lots of
water, eat a few banannas, chat with the rest of the riders and the
voulnteers, and you'll have a wonderful time. You might, however, try
a couple of OTC Tylenol or Motrin an hour before you start your
ride....prophylatic anti-inflamatories may make your post ride much
easier. YMMV.

Good Luck, and have fun

Leo Lichtman
May 18th 05, 11:50 PM
"Maggie" wrote: (clip) Gucci purse hanging off the handlebars (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Gee, Maggie, I think your purse must have cost more than my BIKE.

Maggie
May 18th 05, 11:57 PM
Leo Lichtman wrote:
> "Maggie" wrote: (clip) Gucci purse hanging off the handlebars (clip)
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Gee, Maggie, I think your purse must have cost more than my BIKE.

Well I know my purse cost more than MY bike. When you get here, bring
me a bottle of water. An energy bar would be nice too.

Just got home from work and I am going to try to ride with my sore
knee. Its a beautiful evening. Have a great night. See you soon
Leo.

Love,
Maggie.

Leo Lichtman
May 20th 05, 03:11 AM
"Maggie" wrote: (clip) When you get here, bring me a bottle of water. An
energy bar would be nice too.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I certainly don't mind doing that, but if I find out you're just USING me...

Bob
May 20th 05, 04:13 AM
Leo Lichtman wrote:
> "Maggie" wrote: (clip) When you get here, bring me a bottle of
water. An
> energy bar would be nice too.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I certainly don't mind doing that, but if I find out you're just
USING me...

Leo- Maggie has admitted to owning at least one Gucci purse. IME, women
that own Gucci don't agree to a date simply because it will net them a
miserable bottle of water and a lousy energy bar. She *could* be just
stringing you along for cappucino and biscotti though so perhaps you're
right to be cautious. ;-)

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Mike Latondresse
May 20th 05, 04:34 AM
"Leo Lichtman" > wrote in
:

> "Maggie" wrote: (clip) When you get here, bring me a bottle of
> water. An energy bar would be nice too.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I certainly don't mind doing that, but if I find out you're just
> USING me...

She is, as a domestic.

Maggie
May 20th 05, 11:15 AM
Leo Lichtman wrote:
> "Maggie" wrote: (clip) When you get here, bring me a bottle of
water. An
> energy bar would be nice too.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I certainly don't mind doing that, but if I find out you're just
USING me...

I would never do that Leo. I just want to ride you....I mean ride with
you.
;-) We'll have a grand ole time.

Maggie and Leo riding through the country side eating our energy bars
and having fun. We can stop at a cafe and have some espresso and
italian pastries after the ride.

Why can't I take a canoli on this ride instead of an energy bar? Those
granola bars taste like food you feed farm animals.

Maggie.

Maggie
May 20th 05, 01:45 PM
Bob wrote:
> Leo- Maggie has admitted to owning at least one Gucci purse. IME,
women
> that own Gucci don't agree to a date simply because it will net them
> miserable bottle of water and a lousy energy bar. >

As I wrote before...and every man should listen to Rod, because he
knows alot about Women....you can tell alot about a woman by her purse.
ALOT!

FIRST I LOOK AT THE PURSE

Some fellows look at the eyes
Some fellows look at the nose
Some fellows look at the size
Some fellows look at the clothes
I don't care if her eyes are red
I don't care if her nose is long
I don't care if shes underfeed
I don't care if her clothes are wrong
First I look at the purse.

Leo Lichtman
May 20th 05, 07:53 PM
"Maggie" wrote: (clip) I just want to ride you....I mean ride with you.
;-) We'll have a grand ole time.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Maggie, I'm sorry I doubted you. Are you sure an energy bar and a bottle of
water will be enough? The little head is in charge now!

Maggie
May 21st 05, 01:54 AM
Leo Lichtman wrote:
> "Maggie" wrote: (clip) I just want to ride you....I mean ride with
you.
> ;-) We'll have a grand ole time.(clip)
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Maggie, I'm sorry I doubted you. Are you sure an energy bar and a
bottle of
> water will be enough? The little head is in charge now!

Diamonds always fuel my fire!!!!! ;-) But through the years....the
lyrics of Rod Stewarts songs stay in my mind.......
Dear Leo, will you take care of my heart if your little head is in
charge.......Oh what that little head will drive a man to do.

Maggie....About being used I could write a book....AND I AM!!

When I give my heart again
I know it's gonna last forever
No one tell me where or when
I know it's gonna last forever
When I fall in love next time
I know it's gonna last forever
I won't be that dumb again
I know it'll last forever

-Rod Stewart.

Leo Lichtman
May 22nd 05, 02:50 AM
"Maggie" wrote: (clip)About being used I could write a book....AND I
AM!!(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Maggie, my mind is racing. You are writing a book. If my fantasies come
true, I could be in it. And I imagine I would be able to obtain an
autographed copy. Then what would I do? I certainly couldn't let my
friends see what you said about me.

Maybe we need to slow things down a little.

Maggie
May 23rd 05, 10:04 PM
Leo Lichtman wrote:
> Maggie, my mind is racing. You are writing a book. If my fantasies
come
> true, I could be in it. And I imagine I would be able to obtain an
> autographed copy. Then what would I do? I certainly couldn't let my

> friends see what you said about me.

Don't worry I have to change the names to protect the innocent. And
make sure the guilty suffer. ;-) If my dreams come true....My book
will be on the shelves in a little more than a year. Will Leo be in my
book? Ya never know. Strange things happen in life. And boy has my
life been strange. I write under a pen name so my kids can't find what
gets published. ;-)
When I die, my laptop is set to self destruct like an episode from
Mission Impossible.
Maggie

Leo Lichtman
May 24th 05, 06:25 AM
Maggie, now that I have read your report on the 25-mile charity ride, I
understand why you asked me to bring you a bottle of water and an energy
bar. It was your awareness of the risk of reaching for refreshments. You
are living proof that bicycle riding is less dangerous than many other
activities.

Maggie
May 24th 05, 02:55 PM
Leo Lichtman wrote:
> Maggie, now that I have read your report on the 25-mile charity ride,
> understand why you asked me to bring you a bottle of water and an
energy
> bar.

See Leo, it is your fault I have a sprained ankle. If you had done
what I asked...I would not have fallen at the refreshment stand
reaching over to grab a granola bar (which tastes like something you
feed to goats). I did get a Red Bull though. :)

Love,
Maggie ;)

Claire Petersky
June 28th 05, 02:14 AM
Maggie wrote in message
. com>...

>As I wrote before...and every man should listen to Rod, because he
>knows alot about Women....you can tell alot about a woman by her purse.
>ALOT!

Yeah, you can tell I don't give a &@$ about purses. I thought this when I
went shopping for a new one on Saturday. I bought the cheapest thing in
brown that would hold my wallet, keys, palm pilot and cell phone.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:
http://bookcrossing.com/referr*al/Cpetersky

Maggie
June 28th 05, 02:45 AM
Claire Petersky wrote:
> Maggie wrote in message
> . com>...
>
> >As I wrote before...and every man should listen to Rod, because he
> >knows alot about Women....you can tell alot about a woman by her purse.
> >ALOT!
>
> Yeah, you can tell I don't give a &@$ about purses. I thought this when I
> went shopping for a new one on Saturday. I bought the cheapest thing in
> brown that would hold my wallet, keys, palm pilot and cell phone.
>
> --

Mr. Rod Stewart was talking bout what's inside the purse. Did you ever
hear the song??? It doesn't matter if it's a Walmart purse...it's the
money honey. I have Prada, Gucci, Botega V, and Ferragamo...but I ain't
got no money. So my purse is useless. ;-) If I get desperate
I sell them on e-bay. ;-) Nothing holds its value like a designer
purse.

FIRST YOU LOOK AT THE PURSE
A woman can be as fine as can be
Kisses sweeter than honey
That don't mean a thing to me,
if you ain't got no money, baby.
Cause if the purse is fat, thats where it's at. yeahaa...
-Rod Stewart

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home