PDA

View Full Version : Orient Express

Home User
May 17th 05, 12:38 AM
I have an old Peugeot Orient Express, a mountain bike I
purchased in the mid-80's. I haven't ridden on it over 10 years, but if I
knock the dirt and dust off it, I think it will be good to go. Honestly, do
you think it is worth restoring? If so, what would be some suggestions on
improvements/upgrades?

Zoot Katz
May 17th 05, 09:40 AM
Mon, 16 May 2005 15:38:45 -0800, >,
"Home User" > wrote:

>I have an old Peugeot Orient Express, a mountain bike I
>purchased in the mid-80's. I haven't ridden on it over 10 years, but if I
>knock the dirt and dust off it, I think it will be good to go. Honestly, do
>you think it is worth restoring? If so, what would be some suggestions on
>improvements/upgrades?

Tires might need replacement. If they've deteriorated they'll look
cracked and dry. If you're planning to ride it on pavement you might
want to invest in slicks.

Grease in the hubs, crank and head will set need to be renewed. Chain
and cables will need lubrication or maybe replacement.

If the bike was in good mechanical condition when you put it away then
it should still be good to go. If it needed repairs then it will still
need them. I've rescued dozens of trashed bikes with zero or minimal
cash outlay and a small investment of time.

Get it going and ride it before contemplating upgrades.
It may prove to be an excellent second bike.
--
zk

Peter Cole
May 17th 05, 12:28 PM
Home User wrote:
> I have an old Peugeot Orient Express, a mountain bike I
> purchased in the mid-80's. I haven't ridden on it over 10 years, but if I
> knock the dirt and dust off it, I think it will be good to go. Honestly, do
> you think it is worth restoring? If so, what would be some suggestions on
> improvements/upgrades?

It's usually not cost effective to substantially upgrade older bikes.
Technology has come a long way in the last 20 years, especially in
mountain bikes. Before you invest a lot of time & effort in this
project, at least look at some new bikes at a bike shop and take a
couple for a spin. You'll then be in a better place to judge for
yourself whether that old bike is worth the investment.

Bob Dole
May 17th 05, 01:40 PM
Minor additional suggestion to Zoot's post:

A bike shop suggested I just squirt Tri-Flow (teflon spray lubricant)
into the greased bearings as a short-term solution for an old bike,
just to provide some lubrication while I figured out if the old bike
was worth cleaning up.

Do this, lubricate chain, put some oil on the places where metal moves
against metal, use Lemon Pledge and a rag to clean off the dust, and
give it a ride.

Home User
June 16th 05, 10:01 AM
I cleaned up and oiled the bike. I replaced tubes/tires front and rear. I
got the wheels trued. I tightened up a loose bottom bracket. The brake
levers & shifters are worn and banged up, but they still work! So, I've
been riding the bike now for about a month, and it is holding up okay...

Where can I find replacement parts for an old bike like this? The
components are Shimano SIS "Exage" (light action). I am on a budget. Used
parts are fine.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

"Zoot Katz" > wrote in message
> Mon, 16 May 2005 15:38:45 -0800, >,
> "Home User" > wrote:
>
> >I have an old Peugeot Orient Express, a mountain bike I
> >purchased in the mid-80's. I haven't ridden on it over 10 years, but if I
> >knock the dirt and dust off it, I think it will be good to go. Honestly,
do
> >you think it is worth restoring? If so, what would be some suggestions on
> >improvements/upgrades?
> >
> Tires might need replacement. If they've deteriorated they'll look
> cracked and dry. If you're planning to ride it on pavement you might
> want to invest in slicks.
>
> Grease in the hubs, crank and head will set need to be renewed. Chain
> and cables will need lubrication or maybe replacement.
>
> If the bike was in good mechanical condition when you put it away then
> it should still be good to go. If it needed repairs then it will still
> need them. I've rescued dozens of trashed bikes with zero or minimal
> cash outlay and a small investment of time.
>
> Get it going and ride it before contemplating upgrades.
> It may prove to be an excellent second bike.
> --
> zk

Dane Jackson
June 16th 05, 02:44 PM
Home User > wrote:
> I cleaned up and oiled the bike. I replaced tubes/tires front and rear. I
> got the wheels trued. I tightened up a loose bottom bracket. The brake
> levers & shifters are worn and banged up, but they still work! So, I've
> been riding the bike now for about a month, and it is holding up okay...

Sounds like you've done a good job resurrecting an older bike.

> Where can I find replacement parts for an old bike like this? The
> components are Shimano SIS "Exage" (light action). I am on a budget. Used
> parts are fine.

For the derailleurs, since your components are SIS you're in fairly good
shape. For rear derailleurs use road components if you are using smaller
cassettes ( 25 or smaller for your largest rear sprocket ). Otherwise
use a mountain derailleur. The cable-pull ratio is the really important
part, and that has remained constant.

You should be able to find seven speed MTB shifter components and other
things for it used or new for not much dosh. If you had an older bike,
or Zoroaster Help You, an old French bike, things would be stickier.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
To a Californian, all New Yorkers are cold; even in heat they rarely go

Home User
June 16th 05, 06:45 PM
At this point, I want to replace my brake levers and thumb shifters. I'm
competent with hand tools, and I'm sure I can swap them out. If I can find
exact replacements, it would be easy.

If I have to retro-fit something, well ... I'm really not a bicycle
mechanic, and I might have to leave that to a more qualified person.

This bike is a mid-1980's design, 18 speeds, nothing too fancy (compared to
today's bikes!). I really like the bike. I've been to just a few bike
shops, but nobody is stocking old replacement parts. Where would I look
on-line to order some parts? Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

"Dane Jackson" > wrote in message
> Home User > wrote:
> > I cleaned up and oiled the bike. I replaced tubes/tires front and rear.
> > got the wheels trued. I tightened up a loose bottom bracket. The brake
> > levers & shifters are worn and banged up, but they still work! So, I've
> > been riding the bike now for about a month, and it is holding up okay...
>
> Sounds like you've done a good job resurrecting an older bike.
> >
> > Where can I find replacement parts for an old bike like this? The
> > components are Shimano SIS "Exage" (light action). I am on a budget.
Used
> > parts are fine.
>
> For the derailleurs, since your components are SIS you're in fairly good
> shape. For rear derailleurs use road components if you are using smaller
> cassettes ( 25 or smaller for your largest rear sprocket ). Otherwise
> use a mountain derailleur. The cable-pull ratio is the really important
> part, and that has remained constant.
>
> You should be able to find seven speed MTB shifter components and other
> things for it used or new for not much dosh. If you had an older bike,
> or Zoroaster Help You, an old French bike, things would be stickier.
>
> --
> Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
> To a Californian, all New Yorkers are cold; even in heat they rarely go
> above fifty-eight degrees. If you collapse on a street in New York, plan
> to spend a few days there. -- From "East vs. West: The War Between the
Coasts

Dane Jackson
June 16th 05, 07:25 PM
Home User > wrote:
> At this point, I want to replace my brake levers and thumb shifters. I'm
> competent with hand tools, and I'm sure I can swap them out. If I can find
> exact replacements, it would be easy.

Harris Cyclery appears to carry some six-speed Shimano MTB stuff.

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/shifters.html#topmount

The brake levers should be easy as 3.14159 to find replacements.

> If I have to retro-fit something, well ... I'm really not a bicycle
> mechanic, and I might have to leave that to a more qualified person.

> This bike is a mid-1980's design, 18 speeds, nothing too fancy (compared to
> today's bikes!). I really like the bike. I've been to just a few bike
> shops, but nobody is stocking old replacement parts. Where would I look
> on-line to order some parts? Any ideas?

Six speed stuff is definitely harder to find than 7/8/9 speed stuff.
But it is out there. Keep in mind, it may be more economical to buy
a new un-suspended MTB than to fix this one up too much.

http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2003/mountain/800.jsp

MSRP: $250

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"The Internet is the most powerful stupidity amplifier ever invented.

Home User
June 19th 05, 04:39 PM
Thank you for the info and links.

"Dane Jackson" > wrote in message
> Home User > wrote:
> > At this point, I want to replace my brake levers and thumb shifters.
I'm
> > competent with hand tools, and I'm sure I can swap them out. If I can
find
> > exact replacements, it would be easy.
>
> Harris Cyclery appears to carry some six-speed Shimano MTB stuff.
>
> http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/shifters.html#topmount
>
> The brake levers should be easy as 3.14159 to find replacements.
>
> > If I have to retro-fit something, well ... I'm really not a bicycle
> > mechanic, and I might have to leave that to a more qualified person.
>
> > This bike is a mid-1980's design, 18 speeds, nothing too fancy (compared
> > today's bikes!). I really like the bike. I've been to just a few bike
> > shops, but nobody is stocking old replacement parts. Where would I look
> > on-line to order some parts? Any ideas?
>
> Six speed stuff is definitely harder to find than 7/8/9 speed stuff.
> But it is out there. Keep in mind, it may be more economical to buy
> a new un-suspended MTB than to fix this one up too much.
>
> http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2003/mountain/800.jsp
>
> MSRP: $250
>
> --
> Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
> "The Internet is the most powerful stupidity amplifier ever invented.
> It's like television without the television part." -- James "Kibo" Parry

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home