PDA

View Full Version : This one go plunk

Dave Larrington
May 17th 05, 11:00 AM
Well, it's more a sort of metallic click, which occurs when the left pedal
is at what would be bottom dead centre on an upright bike, but is
fully-forward for we Dark-Siders.

It's not the pedal(s), coz I've recently replaced them and it still does it.
Thus it seems most likely to be the crank or the bottom bracket. It's a 105
Octalink job and is the cranks are as tight as I can get them with an
outsize Allen key.

So, does The Panel think its more likely that:

o the BB is shot, or
o the crank(s) are shot, or
o both

It's slowly but surely driving me mad...

Mushroom! Mushroom!

m-gineering
May 17th 05, 11:31 AM
Dave Larrington wrote:

> Well, it's more a sort of metallic click, which occurs when the left pedal
> is at what would be bottom dead centre on an upright bike, but is
> fully-forward for we Dark-Siders.
>
> It's not the pedal(s), coz I've recently replaced them and it still does it.
> Thus it seems most likely to be the crank or the bottom bracket. It's a 105
> Octalink job and is the cranks are as tight as I can get them with an
> outsize Allen key.
>
> So, does The Panel think its more likely that:
>
> o the BB is shot, or
> o the crank(s) are shot, or
> o both
>
> It's slowly but surely driving me mad...
>
> --
> Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/>
> Mushroom! Mushroom!

Tighten all chainwheel bolts.

if no luck, remove the bottombracket, check it for smoothness, and re
install with plenty of grease and 10" of ptfe tapes wrapped around the
threads
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

David Martin
May 17th 05, 11:38 AM
On 17/5/05 11:00 am, in article , "Dave
Larrington" > wrote:

> Well, it's more a sort of metallic click, which occurs when the left pedal
> is at what would be bottom dead centre on an upright bike, but is
> fully-forward for we Dark-Siders.
>
> It's not the pedal(s), coz I've recently replaced them and it still does it.
> Thus it seems most likely to be the crank or the bottom bracket. It's a 105
> Octalink job and is the cranks are as tight as I can get them with an
> outsize Allen key.
>
> So, does The Panel think its more likely that:
>
> o the BB is shot, or
> o the crank(s) are shot, or
> o both
>
> It's slowly but surely driving me mad...

Check your BB. My road bike has eversoslightly not parallel and hence not
perpendicular facing on the BB shell. This was a bit annoying with the
original BB (ultegra) which was still in perfect working order 30k miles
later, but would click.

Replacement with a cartridge BB fixed that.

Other options:

- worn cleats in the shoes.
- loose chainring bolts

...d

Ian Smith
May 17th 05, 12:59 PM
On Tue, 17 May 2005, Dave Larrington > wrote:

> Well, it's more a sort of metallic click, which occurs when the left pedal
> is at what would be bottom dead centre on an upright bike, but is
> fully-forward for we Dark-Siders.

One you hear, or one you feel?

I just hear, it's not teh old favourite hard bit on teh end of a
shoelace is it? I had one of those that took months to diagnose.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Dave Larrington
May 17th 05, 01:55 PM
Ian Smith wrote:

> One you hear, or one you feel?
>
> I just hear, it's not teh old favourite hard bit on teh end of a
> shoelace is it? I had one of those that took months to diagnose.

It's a "hear" and it's not a shoelace coz none of my cycling shoes have
laces at all....

Regarding David Martin's & Marten Gerritsen's suggestions;

o I doubt it's the chainring bolts as new middle and outer rings were been
fitted and the noise was there both before and after.
o same thing with the cleats
o BB is a 105 splined one, hence cartridge-stylee (unless David means
something else by "cartridge" from my understanding of the term)

BB seems smooth enough, but I'll whip it out and give it the once-over when
I get a suitable supply of tuits (pot of grease being several miles from
bike, MTB needs its front wheel truing, etc. etc.)

If you want a bicycle, buy a bicycle. If you want something that
folds, buy a deckchair.

dkahn400
May 17th 05, 02:01 PM
Ian Smith wrote:

> One you hear, or one you feel?
>
> I just hear, it's not teh old favourite hard bit on teh end of a
> shoelace is it? I had one of those that took months to diagnose.

On r.b.t. there was a post from a Leftpondian bike shop owner who had a
customer complaining bitterly of a click somewhere in the drivetrain.
No-one in the shop could reproduce it and the customer went away
muttering dark oaths. A few weeks later he came back in on crutches and
with a huge bandage on his leg. He was full of apologies and explained
that it had turned out to be his knee after all and he was now
recovering from surgery.

--
Dave...

Pete Biggs
May 17th 05, 04:41 PM
Dave Larrington wrote:
> Well, it's more a sort of metallic click, which occurs when the left
> pedal is at what would be bottom dead centre on an upright bike, but
> is fully-forward for we Dark-Siders.
>
> It's not the pedal(s), coz I've recently replaced them and it still
> does it. Thus it seems most likely to be the crank or the bottom
> bracket. It's a 105 Octalink job and is the cranks are as tight as I
> can get them with an outsize Allen key.
>
> So, does The Panel think its more likely that:
>
> o the BB is shot, or
> o the crank(s) are shot, or

Test for play in the BB by holding crank and firmly pushing it in and out
sideways. Repeat with other crank to eliminate cranks. Also test BB
spindle smoothness.

> o both

That would be too much bad luck, what with the holes in your knee, etc!

~PB

Al C-F
May 17th 05, 07:30 PM
On 17 May 2005 11:59:07 GMT, Ian Smith > wrote:

>it's not teh old favourite hard bit on teh end of a
>shoelace is it?

Aiglet, I think.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home