Compromise on Delray bike lanes unveiled

By Meghan Meyer

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Saturday, May 14, 2005

DELRAY BEACH — Nearly two years to the day that tempers first flared
over plans for bike lanes on State Road A1A, the Florida Department of
Transportation announced its final decision Friday to build paved
shoulders ranging from 3 to 5 feet wide along the oceanfront highway.

The state also will build a 6-foot-wide sidewalk along much of the road.
Construction probably will start in summer 2007, stop during the winter
tourist season and finish the following June, DOT Project Manager Sonny
Abia said.

The plans will be displayed during a public meeting from 4 to 8 p.m. May
26 in the Crest Theatre at Old School Square.

Beaten down by years of bickering, bicyclists, business owners and beach
residents accepted the news less enthusiastically than they had when the
state unveiled its plans at a public meeting in May 2003, which nearly
ended in a melee.

Bicyclists wanted standard, marked 5-foot-wide bicycle lanes wherever
the state had enough room to build them.

Residents feared the lanes would attract more annoying out-of-town
bicyclists and traffic, detract from the road's scenic nature and
destroy landscaping they had installed on the state's right-of-way.

Business owners feared losing already-scarce parking spots by the beach.

Each faction formed a special-interest group, and the Delray Beach
Chamber of Commerce formed a committee to work out a "consensus
agreement" in private. In the end, no group got everything it wanted.

"Overall, we attempted to see what is a sensible thing to do while
meeting safety standards and minimizing the impact to the community,"
Abia said.

That means building 5-foot-wide "paved shoulders" along most of the
road. Abia wouldn't call them bike lanes. He said transportation
officials would decide later whether to mark the lanes with bicyclist
icons or leave them blank.

The shoulders shrink to 3 feet wide north of the public beach, in front
of investor Rick Edick's oceanfront house. Edick spearheaded the
anti-bike-lane movement with his group Save Our Seacoast.

He flew to Tallahassee at one point on a private jet to plead with
Transportation Secretary Jose Abreu to simply repave the road instead of
widen it.

Edick would not comment Friday, saying he had not read the letter
District Secretary Rick Chesser sent to him and city officials.

Happy that DOT has included more bike-lane space than the consensus plan
called for, county bike and pedestrian coordinator Raphael Clemente
still seethed at what he saw as the state caving to the wishes of
wealthy homeowners when it has enough room to add 5-foot-wide marked
bike lanes as he contends its policy requires.

The same thing happened in Palm Beach, where the state has enough room
to build 5-foot-wide lanes on A1A but is building 3-foot-wide lanes
instead, Clemente said. It has been a fight every step of the way to get
the state to do what it's required to do, he said.

"It's just an indication that they are throwing the citizens of Florida
a bone; they're doing it where there's the least opposition possible,"
Clemente said. "It's much better than what we had. But it's still not
right."

Delray Beach Chamber of Commerce Director Bill Wood said he was glad the
state decided to keep the angled public parking spots by the beach.
Officials had remained reluctant to change plans for parallel parking.

"They really took into account an awful lot of what the consensus group
asked for," Wood said. "They had to maintain a certain degree of safety.
They had a lot of big issues to deal with. I'm breathing a sigh of relief."

Beach resident Jim Smith, who founded the group Safety As Floridians
Expect, said he thought the 7,300 signatures his group collected in a
petition drive made state officials realize many residents wanted
sidewalks and bike lanes.

"It's important as we go into the future that cyclists show their
appreciation to taxpayers for paying for the bicycle lanes to ride in
that bicycle lane and not all over the street," he said. "You don't see
motorists driving in the sidewalk, and you don't see pedestrians walking
down the middle of the street."

###

Olebiker
May 17th 05, 11:58 PM
(Snip)
Another "Let's you and him fight" post from Bob Matter.

Bob, if you need more than a three to five foot shoulder to ride your
bike, maybe you should take the bus.

Dick Durbin
Tallahassee

Wayne Pein
May 17th 05, 11:58 PM
> Beach resident Jim Smith, who founded the group Safety As Floridians
> Expect, said he thought the 7,300 signatures his group collected in a
> petition drive made state officials realize many residents wanted
> sidewalks and bike lanes.
>
> "It's important as we go into the future that cyclists show their
> appreciation to taxpayers for paying for the bicycle lanes to ride in
> that bicycle lane and not all over the street," he said. "You don't see
> motorists driving in the sidewalk, and you don't see pedestrians walking
> down the middle of the street."

Oh my. Bicycle drivers are supposed to thank motorist taxpayers (and
ignorant activist bicyclist segregationists) for kicking them off the
road and into small segregated Bike Bantustans!

"Assume the position!" "Thank you Sir, may I have another?"

“The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.”
Edmund Burke (1784)

Wayne
End Bicycle Driver Apartheid Now!

May 18th 05, 03:22 AM
Olebiker wrote:

> Bob, if you need more than a three to five foot shoulder to ride your
> bike, maybe you should take the bus.

Personally, I can ride a 6" line for hundreds of yard under ideal
conditions. But I still need more than a three to five foot shoulder
if that shoulder is filled with gravel, sand, tree branches, trash,
broken glass, potholes or other road crap.

And as I read it, in my state anyway, I have a right to the ROAD. Is
that not true in Florida?

- Frank Krygowski

OnTwoWheels
May 18th 05, 06:29 AM
"Robert J. Matter" > wrote in message
. ..
> The Florida bicycle boycott remains in effect. Cycletourists, express
> your dissatisfaction with FDOT by spending your tourism dollars in
> states that have more respect for cyclists' lives. And if you must cycle
> on A1A, take the lane where a 5' bike lanes or shoulders are
> unavailable, but use a rear-view mirror to track approaching cagers. -RJM

As a bicycle activist why are you advocating bike lanes and road widening?
There's way too much pavement in this world already. Bike lanes just give
motorists the feeling that bikes belong out of their way.

Olebiker
May 18th 05, 12:22 PM
>And as I read it, in my state anyway, I have a right to the ROAD. Is
that not true in Florida?

Of course it's true. That's why I oppose the use of bicyclists'
political capital to push for bike lanes. That's also why I get tired
of people whining because there are no shoulders on many roads.

Dick Durbin

May 18th 05, 03:21 PM
Robert J. Matter > wrote:

<much snipping here and elsewhere>

> of investor Rick Edick's oceanfront house. Edick spearheaded the
> anti-bike-lane movement with his group Save Our Seacoast.

It's "our" seacoast, yasee. Belongs to those who can afford the beach
real estate. Others, particularly long-haired, tree-hugging,
granola-eating hyphenating bicycle-riding types, have no right to it.
It's "ours."

> He flew to Tallahassee at one point on a private jet to plead with

Gee, a rich guy getting his way. Imagine that. He burned more
petroleum on that one ride than most of us do in a year. But that's
okay--he's rich.

> "It's important as we go into the future that cyclists show their
> appreciation to taxpayers for paying for the bicycle lanes to ride in

As we all know, bicyclists and taxpayers are two mutually exclusive
groups. No cyclist pays taxes, and no taxpayer rides a bike.

Sarcasm being just one of the many fine services I offer.

Bill

__o | Roads aren't for cars. They're for people.
_`\(,_ |
(_)/ (_) |

Gooserider
May 20th 05, 06:40 PM
"Olebiker" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> >And as I read it, in my state anyway, I have a right to the ROAD. Is
> that not true in Florida?
>
> Of course it's true. That's why I oppose the use of bicyclists'
> political capital to push for bike lanes. That's also why I get tired
> of people whining because there are no shoulders on many roads.
>
> Dick Durbin

Part of my commute is a 60mph divided 4-lane. I thank God for the shoulder.
Of course, the powers that be decided to install sidewalks and curbs on a
section, so my choices are:

A) Be Fredly and ride on the sidewalk
B) Feel SUVs fly by my head at 60mph

Both options suck.