PDA

View Full Version : 700x28 tire recommendations?

Gooserider
May 18th 05, 01:06 AM
I'm getting parts together for my Gunnar Sport, and I've come down to tires.
I will be using this bike as a commuter, and general all-rounder. I know I
want to run a 700x28, because it's the largest I can run and still mount
fenders. Anybody have any suggestions? The Rivendell Roly-Poly looks good,
but so do the Panaracer Pasela and a couple of others. Your input is
appreciated....

Mike

bfd
May 18th 05, 02:47 AM
"Gooserider" > wrote in message
. ..
> I'm getting parts together for my Gunnar Sport, and I've come down to
> tires.
> I will be using this bike as a commuter, and general all-rounder. I know I
> want to run a 700x28, because it's the largest I can run and still mount
> fenders. Anybody have any suggestions? The Rivendell Roly-Poly looks good,
> but so do the Panaracer Pasela and a couple of others. Your input is
> appreciated....

Avocet Duro are a true 700x28:

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/622.html#28

http://www.gtgtandems.com/parts/700r.html

Mathias Koerber
May 18th 05, 03:41 AM
bfd said the following on 18/5/2005 9:47:
> "Gooserider" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
>>I'm getting parts together for my Gunnar Sport, and I've come down to
>>tires.
>>I will be using this bike as a commuter, and general all-rounder. I know I
>>want to run a 700x28, because it's the largest I can run and still mount
>>fenders. Anybody have any suggestions? The Rivendell Roly-Poly looks good,
>>but so do the Panaracer Pasela and a couple of others. Your input is
>>appreciated....

I believe the Conti Ultra Gatorskins (which I use in 700x25, they are
very good) are also available in 700x28...

Rich Clark
May 18th 05, 04:09 AM
"Gooserider" > wrote in message
. ..
> I'm getting parts together for my Gunnar Sport, and I've come down to
> tires.
> I will be using this bike as a commuter, and general all-rounder. I know I
> want to run a 700x28, because it's the largest I can run and still mount
> fenders. Anybody have any suggestions? The Rivendell Roly-Poly looks good,
> but so do the Panaracer Pasela and a couple of others. Your input is
> appreciated....

I have never had cause to regret using Continental Top Touring 2000 tires on
my commuters. For me, resistance to flats is the most important
characteristic of a commuting tire, and I have well over 10,000 consecutive
flat-free miles on TT2K's.

(They're not bad for touring, either.)

RichC

Matt O'Toole
May 18th 05, 04:30 AM
Mathias Koerber wrote:

> bfd said the following on 18/5/2005 9:47:
>> "Gooserider" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>
>>> I'm getting parts together for my Gunnar Sport, and I've come down
>>> to tires.
>>> I will be using this bike as a commuter, and general all-rounder. I
>>> know I want to run a 700x28, because it's the largest I can run and
>>> still mount fenders. Anybody have any suggestions? The Rivendell
>>> Roly-Poly looks good, but so do the Panaracer Pasela and a couple
>>> of others. Your input is appreciated....
>
> I believe the Conti Ultra Gatorskins (which I use in 700x25, they are
> very good) are also available in 700x28...

While shopping for other tires I noticed Performance had the Conti Ultra 2000 in
28mm on sale for under $20. There were similar prices at Nashbar. At that
price I'd be willing to overlook their shortcomings, especially compared to
tires costing twice as much.

Let us know how you like the Gunnar Sport. It looks like a great all around
bike for most people.

Matt O.

Zoot Katz
May 18th 05, 08:09 AM
Tue, 17 May 2005 23:09:45 -0400, >,
"Rich Clark" > wrote of Continental:

>For me, resistance to flats is the most important
>characteristic of a commuting tire, and I have well over 10,000 consecutive
>flat-free miles on TT2K's.

How many pairs?
--
zk

Jeremy Collins
May 18th 05, 08:40 AM
On Wed, 18 May 2005 01:06:17 +0100, Gooserider >
wrote:

> I'm getting parts together for my Gunnar Sport, and I've come down to
> tires.
> I will be using this bike as a commuter, and general all-rounder. I know
> want to run a 700x28, because it's the largest I can run and still mount
> fenders. Anybody have any suggestions? The Rivendell Roly-Poly looks
> good,
> but so do the Panaracer Pasela and a couple of others. Your input is
> appreciated....

My Michelin Transworld City tyres have been great - 1500 miles so far
without a puncture and very little sign of wear. The 700x28s can be
had for around £10 ($18) here in the UK.

--
jc

rdclark
May 18th 05, 04:30 PM
Zoot Katz wrote:
> Tue, 17 May 2005 23:09:45 -0400,
>,
> "Rich Clark" > wrote of Continental:
>
> >For me, resistance to flats is the most important
> >characteristic of a commuting tire, and I have well over 10,000
consecutive
> >flat-free miles on TT2K's.
>
> How many pairs?

I wear tires out at about a 2:1 ratio, rear:front, so when the rear is
worn out I move the front to the rear and install a new front.

I've used a grand total of four tires in this sequence. The current
rear was the second front tire, and the current front is almost new. In
terms of miles per dollar, as well as reliability, I consider these
tires a bargain.

I should note that the "consecutive" miles are on the TT2k's, so maybe
I shouldn't have said "consecutive." There were intervening miles when
I experimented with a lighter tire - Panaracer Pasela Tourguard (the
folding ones with a kevlar belt and kevlar bead) - but they were too
susceptible to pinch-flats and punctures. For a while I rode with a
TT2K on the back and a Pasela on the front, but when the Pasela wore
out (which it did damn fast) I abandoned them.

But the 10k+ miles on this bike with the Conti's have been flat-free.
And that's on the pothole-infested, glass-covered, never-cleaned
streets of Philadelphia.

Before the Conti's I used Avocet Cross-K's for a while. They were also
very durable and tough, but also unpleasant to ride and with a tendency
to become squared-off with wear.

I use 700x32c. A buddy who uses the same tire in 700x28c has been
equally happy, though not for as long.

RichC

David Horwitt
May 18th 05, 06:14 PM
Rich Clark wrote:
> "Gooserider" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
>>I'm getting parts together for my Gunnar Sport, and I've come down to
>>tires.
>>

> I have never had cause to regret using Continental Top Touring 2000 tires on
> my commuters.
Ditto.

> For me, resistance to flats is the most important
> characteristic of a commuting tire,
Ditto.

> and I have well over 10,000 consecutive flat-free miles on TT2K's.
Ditto.

DH

Chalo
May 20th 05, 01:47 AM
Gooserider wrote:

> I know I want to run a 700x28, because it's the largest I can
> run and still mount fenders. Anybody have any suggestions?
> The Rivendell Roly-Poly looks good, but so do the Panaracer
> Pasela and a couple of others.

The Panaracer Pasela may not be the best tire in its category, but it's
an unusually nice tire for the price. If you want a true 28mm Pasela,
you'll need to buy the 700x32 version.

Chalo Colina

maxo
August 3rd 05, 03:46 PM
On Tue, 17 May 2005 23:30:18 -0400, Matt O'Toole wrote:

> While shopping for other tires I noticed Performance had the Conti Ultra
> 2000 in 28mm on sale for under $20.

They've got the Paselas on sale as well for $12 and if you're really
cheap, the Hutchinson Flashes for $5 (this price only for the 700x28s)
which might be nice to have hanging in the garage for emergencies.

Where are Conti tires made these days? Last time I got a set of the lower
end "sport" 27x1 1/4s, made in Thailand, I averaged two flats per week
(lotsa miles messengering, but still!). I'm not going to venture to say
that "Thai" quality is bad in general--but there must have been something
wonky with the rubber formula at that plant.

August 3rd 05, 06:47 PM
maxo wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2005 23:30:18 -0400, Matt O'Toole wrote:
>
> > While shopping for other tires I noticed Performance had the Conti Ultra
> > 2000 in 28mm on sale for under $20.
>
> They've got the Paselas on sale as well for $12 and if you're really
> cheap, the Hutchinson Flashes for $5 (this price only for the 700x28s)
> which might be nice to have hanging in the garage for emergencies.
>
> Where are Conti tires made these days? Last time I got a set of the lower
> end "sport" 27x1 1/4s, made in Thailand, I averaged two flats per week
> (lotsa miles messengering, but still!). I'm not going to venture to say
> that "Thai" quality is bad in general--but there must have been something
> wonky with the rubber formula at that plant.

It is so much more than just the formulation of the 'rubber'. On our
touring and commuting bikes we run Conti TT 2000's and are getting 6K+
miles on the rear, and much more on the front and virtually 0 flats
(last set on my touring bike I had 1 flat on the rear, a 16d nail, and
0 on the front; my wife had 2 flats in almost 9K miles on her set).
On a racer I ran 700x25 Ultra 2000's and had many flats, including 3 on
one ride. The TT 2000's we get were made in Germany, but the last few
sets have all been from Thailand and no noticeable difference in wear
or ability to resist flats. The Ultra 2000's were from Germany.

The absolute worst tires I ever ran were some Kenda's, made in Taiwan -
guaranteed I would get at least 1 flat per ride. Replaced those with
Vittoria Rubino Pro's (made in Thailand) and almost never got a flat;
only problem is wear as I go through a rear tire with those about ever
3K miles.

All in all, I think that tire design and QC are more important than
location, per se.

- rick

Anthony A.
August 4th 05, 04:41 PM
You know I have a set of those Hutchinson "Flash" tires on my bike
right now. They are not terribly heavy, and seem to wear fairly well.
No flats so far, after ~500 miles. I suspect if Hutchinson had not
printed the words "BasicModel" on the side, enough people would have
bought them at their oringinal price, and they would not be in the $5
bin a Nashbar right now.

maxo
August 4th 05, 11:27 PM
On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 08:41:34 -0700, Anthony A. wrote:

> I suspect if Hutchinson had not printed the
> words "BasicModel" on the side, enough people would have bought them at
> their oringinal price, and they would not be in the $5 bin a Nashbar right
> now.

I fully agree. They're basic tires no doubt, but so are many others in the
sub 20 range, they shot themselves in the foot I think with the "basic
Model" moniker.

Mine have a couple thousand on them (at least, no cyclocomputer) with no
problems other than a couple small cuts from the awful roads around here.

Pete
August 4th 05, 11:51 PM
"maxo" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 08:41:34 -0700, Anthony A. wrote:
>
>> I suspect if Hutchinson had not printed the
>> words "BasicModel" on the side, enough people would have bought them at
>> their oringinal price, and they would not be in the $5 bin a Nashbar
>> right
>> now.
>
> I fully agree. They're basic tires no doubt, but so are many others in the
> sub 20 range, they shot themselves in the foot I think with the "basic
> Model" moniker.
>
> Mine have a couple thousand on them (at least, no cyclocomputer) with no
> problems other than a couple small cuts from the awful roads around here.

I was always a bit of a tire snob (I had to have certain Michelins,
Vredesteins, etc.), but recently, I followed someone's recommendation on
here to buy IRC Road Winners. I have the 28mm, but they measure more like
25mm (which is fine for me, because my previous 25mm tires measured more
like 23mm's). I've been very happy with them so far. It's kind of ridiculous
to spend big money on tires to ride on most of our roads. It's so easy to
come home with a badly cut tire.

Pete

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home