PDA

View Full Version : Cycle Training Bid

Tilly
May 17th 05, 09:12 PM
For the last three months I have been working in collaboration with a
Lewisham Community Warden to provide cycle training to pupils at my
school. Today the head of the community wardens came to observe our
teaching. He informed me that he has put in a bid for £250,000 to
provide cycle training to pupils in Lewisham schools.

Independently, I have submitted a bid for £4,200 to extend the cycle
training I can offer and to improve the social inclusiveness of cycle
training by purchasing bikes so children without bikes can learn to
ride.

I estimate that it costs £50 to train one child pass levels 1 and 2 of
the National Standards. £250,000 should be sufficient to train 5,000
children.

Good news for Lewisham children.

Zog The Undeniable
May 17th 05, 09:24 PM
Tilly wrote:

> Independently, I have submitted a bid for £4,200 to extend the cycle
> training I can offer and to improve the social inclusiveness of cycle
> training by purchasing bikes so children without bikes can learn to
> ride.

Who gets to maintain them, out of interest? Not that they'll see huge
mileages, but they'll suffer some wear and tear, especially with
constant adjustments to saddles and bars.

Tilly
May 17th 05, 10:36 PM
On Tue, 17 May 2005 21:24:14 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
> wrote:

>Tilly wrote:
>
>> Independently, I have submitted a bid for £4,200 to extend the cycle
>> training I can offer and to improve the social inclusiveness of cycle
>> training by purchasing bikes so children without bikes can learn to
>> ride.
>
>Who gets to maintain them, out of interest? Not that they'll see huge
>mileages, but they'll suffer some wear and tear, especially with
>constant adjustments to saddles and bars.

The period of the bid runs from September 2005 to April 2006.

The bikes will have a one year warranty.

I expect the children under my supervision will do any minor repairs.
Other non warranty repairs I will do.

David Martin
May 18th 05, 08:56 AM
On 17/5/05 10:36 pm, in article ,
"Tilly" > wrote:

> On Tue, 17 May 2005 21:24:14 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
> > wrote:
>
>> Tilly wrote:
>>
>>> Independently, I have submitted a bid for £4,200 to extend the cycle
>>> training I can offer and to improve the social inclusiveness of cycle
>>> training by purchasing bikes so children without bikes can learn to
>>> ride.
>>
>> Who gets to maintain them, out of interest? Not that they'll see huge
>> mileages, but they'll suffer some wear and tear, especially with
>> constant adjustments to saddles and bars.
>
> The period of the bid runs from September 2005 to April 2006.
>
> The bikes will have a one year warranty.
>
> I expect the children under my supervision will do any minor repairs.
> Other non warranty repairs I will do.

An alternative route is to buy the bikes in bulk. VAT free bulk rates can be
as low as 100 GBP for a perfectly serviceable bike [1], then write them off
over a year or two, avoiding major servicing costs and sell them at the end
of the season.

You should be able to get a healthy number of bikes for your 4200 plus tools
and spares. You will also need to think about storage.. shipping container?
It should give you enough bikes for a full class, plus spares.

...d

[1]NOT your average supermarket special but normal RRP of 250-300 GBP.

Tilly
May 18th 05, 06:30 PM
On Wed, 18 May 2005 08:56:12 +0100, David Martin
> wrote:

>You should be able to get a healthy number of bikes for your 4200 plus tools
>and spares. You will also need to think about storage.. shipping container?
>It should give you enough bikes for a full class, plus spares.

The portion of the bid for new bikes is £1,860. That is 6 children's
bikes, 2 adults' bikes, lights, helmets, locks and spares. Secure
storage is not a problem, but they are to be loaned to families for a
period not exceeding six weeks... if the bid is successful.

Sandy Morton
May 18th 05, 09:03 PM
In article >, Tilly
> wrote:
> The portion of the bid for new bikes is £1,860. That is 6
> children's bikes, 2 adults' bikes, lights, helmets, locks and
> spares.

This should be easily achievable within your budget although I don't
know how you can budget for spares on new bikes.

I would expect to be able to sell you the rest for around £1500 and
would be very happy with the markup.

Talk to your LBS and tell them that you will be happy to take end of
runs and last years colours.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island

Tilly
May 18th 05, 09:47 PM
On Wed, 18 May 2005 21:03:36 +0100, Sandy Morton >
wrote:

>In article >, Tilly
> wrote:
>> The portion of the bid for new bikes is £1,860. That is 6
>> children's bikes, 2 adults' bikes, lights, helmets, locks and
>> spares.
>
>This should be easily achievable within your budget although I don't
>know how you can budget for spares on new bikes.
>
>I would expect to be able to sell you the rest for around £1500 and
>would be very happy with the markup.
>
>Talk to your LBS and tell them that you will be happy to take end of
>runs and last years colours.

I won't know until the end of May if my bid has been successful.

I am not overly optimistic as the primary purpose of the fund is to
support one-off events to promote cycling for Londoners.

John Hearns
September 25th 05, 09:21 AM
On Tue, 17 May 2005 21:12:21 +0100, Tilly wrote:

> For the last three months I have been working in collaboration with a
> Lewisham Community Warden to provide cycle training to pupils at my
> school.
Tilly, that sounds great.

If Lewisham Cyclists do not already know about this, then they should.
If you're interested their monthly meeting is in
the Albany, Douglas Way in Deptford, tonight at 7:30-9,
then in the Dog and Bell.

http://www.lewishamcyclists.net

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home