PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition

B.G. Finlay IT Services
May 19th 05, 10:33 AM
I've entered '10 under the Ben' (www.10undertheben.com) as one half of a
two man team. I'll be alternating between riding approx 1:30 and resting
1:30 for 10 hours. What should I be eating and drinking? Anytime I've done
long day rides I'm usually on the verge of passing out near the end.

Blair.

wafflycat
May 19th 05, 11:09 AM
"B.G. Finlay IT Services" > wrote in message
> I've entered '10 under the Ben' (www.10undertheben.com) as one half of a
> two man team. I'll be alternating between riding approx 1:30 and resting
> 1:30 for 10 hours. What should I be eating and drinking? Anytime I've done
> long day rides I'm usually on the verge of passing out near the end.
>
> Blair.

Eat little & often & hydrate frequently. Keep things such as SiS Go bars or
Torq bars in your jersey pockets for easy access. Plenty of fluids,
especially isotonics will keep you going.

Best of luck, helen s

Bronzie
May 19th 05, 01:29 PM
A tip passed down to me by an ex first-cat racer : Mr Kipling's Mini
Battenburg cakes!

They are loaded with sugar, fit nicely in your jersey pockets (need to wrap
in foil or similar to avoid disintergration and subsequent sticky pocket
syndrome), are easy to eat on the move and (provided you like marzipan) are
delicious.

I used them when I rode the Etape du Tour '03 (nine hours in the saddle) and
found they worked a treat alternated with bananas and energy bars collected
at the feed zones.

Nutri-grain bars are another one of my favourites, but as with everything
it's a matter of personal preference. I find Power Bars too hard to eat on
the move (in fact I can't even unwrap the buggers!) and simply just too hard
full-stop in cold weather.

Also use a powdered drinks mix (there are loads on the market) in your water
bottles and drink as much as comfortable for the whole duration of the
event.

John Hearns
May 19th 05, 02:13 PM
On Thu, 19 May 2005 13:29:26 +0100, Bronzie wrote:

> A tip passed down to me by an ex first-cat racer : Mr Kipling's Mini
> Battenburg cakes!

Visited Osborne House when on the Isle of Wight.
Battenburg cakes were invented by one of Queen Victorias daughters,
who was of course a Battenburg.
She wrote articles for the Victorian equivalent of Good Housekeeping.

Now - remembering an old Alexei Sayle gag,
can anyone tell us the story of Garibaldis?

dkahn400
May 19th 05, 02:14 PM
B.G. Finlay IT Services wrote:
> I've entered '10 under the Ben' (www.10undertheben.com) as one
> half of a two man team. I'll be alternating between riding approx
> 1:30 and resting 1:30 for 10 hours. What should I be eating and
> drinking? Anytime I've done long day rides I'm usually on the
> verge of passing out near the end.

Basically what Helen and Bronzie have said with the following emphasis:
you should eat /before/ you get hungry and drink /before/ you get
thirsty. Little nibbles and little sips, but very often.

Additionally the evening before it might help if you stuff yourself
with pasta and also have a very good helping of the sports drink you
will be using the next day.

--
Dave...

Tim Hall
May 19th 05, 02:21 PM
On Thu, 19 May 2005 14:13:12 +0100, John Hearns >
wrote:

>On Thu, 19 May 2005 13:29:26 +0100, Bronzie wrote:
>
>> A tip passed down to me by an ex first-cat racer : Mr Kipling's Mini
>> Battenburg cakes!
>>
>Visited Osborne House when on the Isle of Wight.
>Battenburg cakes were invented by one of Queen Victorias daughters,
>who was of course a Battenburg.
>She wrote articles for the Victorian equivalent of Good Housekeeping.
>
>Now - remembering an old Alexei Sayle gag,
>can anyone tell us the story of Garibaldis?

You mean the Peak Frean Trotsky Assortment.

Tim

Colin Blackburn
May 19th 05, 02:24 PM
dkahn400 wrote:
> B.G. Finlay IT Services wrote:
>
>>I've entered '10 under the Ben' (www.10undertheben.com) as one
>>half of a two man team. I'll be alternating between riding approx
>>1:30 and resting 1:30 for 10 hours. What should I be eating and
>>drinking? Anytime I've done long day rides I'm usually on the
>>verge of passing out near the end.
>

> Basically what Helen and Bronzie have said with the following emphasis:
> you should eat /before/ you get hungry and drink /before/ you get
> thirsty. Little nibbles and little sips, but very often.

Also, you should eat and drink things you know you can eat and drink!
I.e. don't decide to use a new energy drink brand on the day, don't
decide you'll try that Tesco's economy malt loaf instead of your usual
Soreen's. You may discover something that doesn't agree with you and
half way through a 10 hour day that could be a disaster.

Colin

wafflycat
May 19th 05, 04:02 PM
"dkahn400" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Additionally the evening before it might help if you stuff yourself
> with pasta and also have a very good helping of the sports drink you
> will be using the next day.
>
> --
> Dave...

Carbo-loading the day or so before is good. Nathan's favourite is pasta with
a tuna & red pesto sauce or pasta with a mushroom, turkey & green pesto
sauce :-)

Cheers, helen s

John Hearns
May 19th 05, 04:35 PM
On Thu, 19 May 2005 16:02:20 +0100, wafflycat wrote:
> a tuna & red pesto sauce or pasta with a mushroom, turkey & green pesto
> sauce :-)
Bootiful.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home