PDA

View Full Version : no cannondale XC trail bike?

May 20th 05, 02:49 PM
Does anyone know if Cannondale plans to produce a 4" trail bike? At the
moment, their line goes straight from the Scalpel to the 5"+
Jekyl/Prophet. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but >5" seems excessive for
cross country riding. With Giant and Specialized making 4" bikes, is
Cannondale going to do the same?

di
May 20th 05, 07:07 PM
> wrote in message
ps.com...
> Does anyone know if Cannondale plans to produce a 4" trail bike? At the
> moment, their line goes straight from the Scalpel to the 5"+
> Jekyl/Prophet. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but >5" seems excessive for
> cross country riding. With Giant and Specialized making 4" bikes, is
> Cannondale going to do the same?

I would like one that has 3-13/16" of travel, seriously, can you really feel
the difference between 4" or 5" of travel when riding the bike?

Matt O'Toole
May 20th 05, 08:58 PM
di wrote:

> > wrote in message
> ps.com...

>> Does anyone know if Cannondale plans to produce a 4" trail bike? At
>> the moment, their line goes straight from the Scalpel to the 5"+
>> Jekyl/Prophet. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but >5" seems excessive for
>> cross country riding. With Giant and Specialized making 4" bikes, is
>> Cannondale going to do the same?
>>

> I would like one that has 3-13/16" of travel, seriously, can you
> really feel the difference between 4" or 5" of travel when riding the
> bike?

Exactly. Numbers are just numbers. Some 3" travel bikes use that travel more
effectively than 5" bikes -- and vice versa. For example, a Santa Cruz Heckler
rides just like a Superlight on normal terrain. There's no "excess" travel
(just a little more weight). Stop reading magazines and try a few bikes.

There's good reason to just buy whatever's popular in your area. One, the
better, ahead-of-the-curve riders have already figured out what works best, and
two, the local shop(s) can support it.

Matt O.

May 22nd 05, 03:56 AM
Matt O'Toole wrote in part:

> There's good reason to just buy whatever's popular in your area.
One, the
> better, ahead-of-the-curve riders have already figured out what works
best, and
> two, the local shop(s) can support it.

In my local area, it seems few of the riders have
figured out what works best, considering that almost
all of them ride heavy suspension bikes on very smooth
trails. The move to big suspension has as much
to do with fashion as anything else. Anyway
it makes me appear and feel faster on my 21-lb rigid
fork trail bike which is better suited to the terrain.

Trail riding tomorrow, all day, hopefully.

Robert

Bill Baka
May 22nd 05, 10:45 AM
wrote:
> Matt O'Toole wrote in part:
>

>>There's good reason to just buy whatever's popular in your area.
>
> One, the
>
>>better, ahead-of-the-curve riders have already figured out what works
>
> best, and
>
>>two, the local shop(s) can support it.
>

> In my local area, it seems few of the riders have
> figured out what works best, considering that almost
> all of them ride heavy suspension bikes on very smooth
> trails. The move to big suspension has as much
> to do with fashion as anything else. Anyway
> it makes me appear and feel faster on my 21-lb rigid
> fork trail bike which is better suited to the terrain.
>
> Trail riding tomorrow, all day, hopefully.
>
> Robert

It does make sense to stay away from some of the more single purpose
bikes and test ride some if you are serious. More bikes seem to be
getting heavier and I found a Mongoose (really, it was in my way) and it
is about 70 pounds although with a more serious than usual suspension.
Shop around.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home