PDA

View Full Version : Mini-pump length question

Mr_Grant
May 20th 05, 09:11 PM
What is the length of the Serfas "Grifter" mini-pump with foot-peg
(http://penncycle.com/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=3257)? I need something
less than 12 in. so it will fit in my rack bag. Have looked at the
Topeak Morphs, they're too long.

Brian Huntley
May 21st 05, 04:46 AM
Mr_Grant wrote:
> What is the length of the Serfas "Grifter" mini-pump with foot-peg
> (http://penncycle.com/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=3257)? I need something
> less than 12 in. so it will fit in my rack bag. Have looked at the
> Topeak Morphs, they're too long.

That, or get a better rack bag. A non-gauge RoadMorf is 13.5" long (I
just measured mine) and it fits so well in my bag I forget I have it in
there.

Perhaps it would fit diagonally. If the bag's bottom is 12x6", that's
close. A scritch more and it'd be In Like Schwinn.

Mr_Grant
May 24th 05, 12:35 AM
What trunk bag do you use that fits a Road Morph? I recently spent
parts of 3 weekends looking for a new one, and all seemed to be 11-12
inches. Except for those retro English canvas bags with the leather
straps whose name begins with C... So I picked up a
http://www.rei.com/product/47855957.htm?vcat=REI_SSHP_CYCLINGundefined
discounted to $30. Improved over the 2002 model, now it has better
waterproofing.

Dane Jackson
June 2nd 05, 06:03 PM
Mr_Grant > wrote:
> What is the length of the Serfas "Grifter" mini-pump with foot-peg
> (http://penncycle.com/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=3257)? I need something
> less than 12 in. so it will fit in my rack bag. Have looked at the
> Topeak Morphs, they're too long.

Is there some reason other than aesthetic that you don't wish to just
strap it to your frame? The included strap works admirably for my road
bike.

ex. You have a folder or something with wierd shaped/sized tubes or
limited clearances for gewgaws strapped to it.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"Ordinarily he is insane. But he has lucid moments when he is only

Mr_Grant
June 6th 05, 10:55 PM
>Is there some reason other than aesthetic that you
>don't wish to just strap it to your frame?

Yes. I have had several pumps stolen off my commuter bike when I used a
frame clip or strap. No thefts since I switched to carrying pump in a
rack bag. But I'd like something that moves more air (my Blackburn AS-1
takes 300 or so strokes to get to 80ish psi, and my tires are 100psi),
but still fit in the bag's side pocket.

Dane Jackson
June 7th 05, 12:54 AM
Mr_Grant > wrote:
>>Is there some reason other than aesthetic that you
>>don't wish to just strap it to your frame?
>
> Yes. I have had several pumps stolen off my commuter bike when I used a
> frame clip or strap. No thefts since I switched to carrying pump in a
> rack bag. But I'd like something that moves more air (my Blackburn AS-1
> takes 300 or so strokes to get to 80ish psi, and my tires are 100psi),
> but still fit in the bag's side pocket.

I haven't had trouble with that here in Seattle, but I do worry about it
sometimes. The bike I have a good pump on (my commuter) is rarely left
unattended unless it's locked up inside. Have you thought about sewing
a loop or attaching a mount for the pump onto the outside of your bag?

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
Excerpt from a conversation between a customer support person and a

Support: "You're not our only customer, you know."
Customer: "But we're one of the few with tactical nuclear weapons."

Mr_Grant
June 8th 05, 10:18 PM
Experience has led me to the hypothesis that Visibility leads to
Temptation for the larcenous. I may have to bite the bullet and get
something like a Road Morph, keep in a pannier, and always carry that.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home