PDA

View Full Version : Had me a real good time

Maggie
May 23rd 05, 01:51 PM
The ride is over, I made it. (Barely). I sprained my ankle because I
was not paying attention to what I was doing. (As usual).

I am absoultely exhausted today. Had a fabulous birthday. Got lots of
pretty presents. My brother is taking me to the Rolling Stones Concert
as my gift. And I have tickets to Vegas. My kids bought me a new
dishwasher.

So, I finished 25 miles (slowly) and I HAD ME A REAL GOOD TIME. Met
alot of wonderful people. I'm tired. And my desk is piled high with
work. Hope you all had a great weekend too.

Love,
MAGGIE

HAD ME A REAL GOOD TIME
(Ron Wood, Rod Stewart & Ronnie Lane)

Steady all day!
Thought I was lookin' good
So I cycled 'cross the neighbourhood

On my way home I happened to fall off my bicycle, good party
Ooh hoo, ha ha, yeah

I was glad to come, but I was also glad to get home, yeah
Ooh hoo

Beverly
May 23rd 05, 01:58 PM
Maggie wrote:
> The ride is over, I made it. (Barely). I sprained my ankle because I
> was not paying attention to what I was doing. (As usual).
>
> I am absoultely exhausted today. Had a fabulous birthday. Got lots
of
> pretty presents. My brother is taking me to the Rolling Stones
Concert
> as my gift. And I have tickets to Vegas. My kids bought me a new
> dishwasher.
>
> So, I finished 25 miles (slowly) and I HAD ME A REAL GOOD TIME. Met
> alot of wonderful people. I'm tired. And my desk is piled high with
> work. Hope you all had a great weekend too.
>
> Love,
> MAGGIE

Happy Birthday, Maggie! I'm glad you had a good time on the ride...now
when is the next one?

Beverly

Roy Owen
May 23rd 05, 01:59 PM
Maggie wrote:
> The ride is over, I made it. (Barely). I sprained my ankle because I
> was not paying attention to what I was doing. (As usual).
>
> I am absoultely exhausted today. Had a fabulous birthday. Got lots of
> pretty presents. My brother is taking me to the Rolling Stones Concert
> as my gift. And I have tickets to Vegas. My kids bought me a new
> dishwasher.
>
> So, I finished 25 miles (slowly) and I HAD ME A REAL GOOD TIME. Met
> alot of wonderful people. I'm tired. And my desk is piled high with
> work. Hope you all had a great weekend too.
>
> Love,
> MAGGIE
>

> HAD ME A REAL GOOD TIME
> (Ron Wood, Rod Stewart & Ronnie Lane)
>
> Steady all day!
> Thought I was lookin' good
> So I cycled 'cross the neighbourhood
>
> On my way home I happened to fall off my bicycle, good party
> Ooh hoo, ha ha, yeah
>
> I was glad to come, but I was also glad to get home, yeah
> Ooh hoo

How did you sprain your ankle? How long did it take you to finish?
Glad you had fun.

--
Roy Owen

Keep the leather side up,
and the rubber side down.

Maggie
May 23rd 05, 02:20 PM
Beverly wrote:

> Happy Birthday, Maggie! I'm glad you had a good time on the
ride...now
> when is the next one?
>
> Beverly

Hi Beverly,

I am going to see what is going on around here as far as charity rides.

Thanks for the Happy Birthday. Another year older and deeper in debt.
;-)

I signed up for another charity walk. The challenge walk...it takes 3
days. I have all summer to get in shape. It is from Virginia into
Washington DC. One of my closest friends lives in Virginia and I will
stay with her and walk with her.

When I visit her, we always go into D.C. We have another friend who has
an apartment in DC. She has her bike hanging right next to her door and
she commutes around DC by bike. She is a lawyer. We graduated HS
together. The last time I saw her I thought she was nuts commuting by
bike in that city, but now I understand it.

I can't find any charity bike rides coming up. I will have to keep
looking. My best bet is to join some type of cycling club in this area
so I know what is going on and where. Anyone on the NG know of any
rides in Jersey coming up in the summer?

Maggie

Maggie
May 23rd 05, 02:21 PM
Roy Owen wrote:
> How did you sprain your ankle?

It is so stupid, I'd rather forget about it. I wasn't even on my bike.

Maggie

Claire Petersky
May 23rd 05, 02:46 PM
Maggie wrote in message
. com>...

>Roy Owen wrote:
>> How did you sprain your ankle?
>

>It is so stupid, I'd rather forget about it. I wasn't even on my bike.

As someone with notoriously weak ankles, I am very sympathetic. You should
know that riding your bike will strengthen the muscles all around the joint,
and your ankles will be stronger if you ride a lot.

I had problems with my ankle over the weekend, made worse by dancing Friday
night, such that all day Saturday I was taking pain relievers, and I don't
do drugs unless desperate. But a long ride on Sunday, and I was cured, no
joke.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:
http://bookcrossing.com/referr*al/Cpetersky

Maggie
May 23rd 05, 03:06 PM
Claire Petersky wrote:

> I had problems with my ankle over the weekend, made worse by dancing
Friday
> night, such that all day Saturday I was taking pain relievers, and I
don't
> do drugs unless desperate. But a long ride on Sunday, and I was
cured, no
> joke.

I have had a problem with my ankle since I was in high school. My
ambitions when I was a young dreamer were to become a dancer and a
writer. (Also to live in a loft in Paris)

Only the writing part has come to life (recently) with a few
publications under my belt.

I certainly did not follow the poetic soul of Jim Morrison to Paris.

Anyway, I ripped a ligament in my ankle and my dancing ended at the
young age of 16. Since then that ankle has always been weak. I have
been on crutches too many times to count.

I was told that cycling could strengthen my ankle so I know what you
mean.

I sprained my ankle at the REST STOP getting a granola bar. It was
ridiculous. Only I could get hurt at the rest stop. It was a humbling
experience to say the least. I guess I had been feeling too full of
myself as I was riding. Karma at work.

Maggie.

Realms of bliss
Realms of light
Some are born to sweet delight
Some are born to sweet delight
Some are born to the endless night
-Jim Morrison

Rich
May 23rd 05, 03:47 PM
Maggie wrote:

>>How did you sprain your ankle?
>
> It is so stupid, I'd rather forget about it. I wasn't even on my bike.

You appear to get hurt frequently when NOT on your bike.

I recommend you spend more time on your bike. It's the only way to
avoid additional injuries in the future.

Rich

P.S. Congratulations on finishing the 25 miles.

Maggie
May 23rd 05, 03:56 PM
Rich wrote:
> You appear to get hurt frequently when NOT on your bike.

That is because I am always yammering away chatting with someone and
not paying attention to what I am doing. You would think it would be
easy to get from a bike to a granola bar.

When I am on the bike I actually have to concentrate.

I realize, I talk too much. As you can tell by the way I post.

I've never been accused of being shy OR sane. ;-)

Maggie
What a crazy lady
She's fabulous, so sensuous
She's marvelous, I'm delirious, it's serious
Kinda dangerous, What a crazy lady
-Rod Stewart

psycholist
May 23rd 05, 03:57 PM
Maggie,

Glad you had a good ride. Sorry about your ankle.

I have an ankle story.

I got hit by a car about 2 1/2 years ago. It was pretty bad. Lots of
serious injuries. Among them a broken ankle. I have all kinds of titanium
parts now. Anyway, I bounced back pretty fast. About six months after the
accident I was planning to attempt a mountainous full century. I'd been
training hard and it was going well. The night before, I had to mend a
fence ( I have a small farm). I had to drive a stake into the ground to
brace a gate post. I took a big swing with a sledgehammer. The head hit
the stake and glanced off. That changed the trajectory just enough to send
it squarely into the ankle I had broken. It was awful. I was writhing in
pain on the ground. I thought sure I'd broken the ankle. I was way out in
a field and a couple hundred yards from the house and figured I was gonna
have to crawl for help.

Well, after a few minutes the pain started to subside and I was able to get
up and start limping. Then I thought, well, this isn't hurting so bad. I
started to walk almost normally. I soaked it in the tub that night. The
next morning it was swollen, but it didn't hurt that bad. I ended up doing
that century in just under 5 hours which was the best I'd ever done it. I
was the 5th one finished ... and I'm not normally a climber. I think that
whack must have released some serious adrenaline or something. I couldn't
believe I was able to walk, much less do a ride like that.

When I finished, that foot looked fine. Fifteen minutes later, it looked
awful and I could hardly get a regular shoe on it for the drive home.

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)
"Maggie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> The ride is over, I made it. (Barely). I sprained my ankle because I
> was not paying attention to what I was doing. (As usual).
>
> I am absoultely exhausted today. Had a fabulous birthday. Got lots of
> pretty presents. My brother is taking me to the Rolling Stones Concert
> as my gift. And I have tickets to Vegas. My kids bought me a new
> dishwasher.
>
> So, I finished 25 miles (slowly) and I HAD ME A REAL GOOD TIME. Met
> alot of wonderful people. I'm tired. And my desk is piled high with
> work. Hope you all had a great weekend too.
>
> Love,
> MAGGIE
>

> HAD ME A REAL GOOD TIME
> (Ron Wood, Rod Stewart & Ronnie Lane)
>
> Steady all day!
> Thought I was lookin' good
> So I cycled 'cross the neighbourhood
>
> On my way home I happened to fall off my bicycle, good party
> Ooh hoo, ha ha, yeah
>
> I was glad to come, but I was also glad to get home, yeah
> Ooh hoo

Bill Sornson
May 23rd 05, 04:50 PM
Claire Petersky wrote:

> I had problems with my ankle over the weekend, made worse by dancing
> Friday night, such that all day Saturday I was taking pain relievers,
> and I don't do drugs unless desperate.

Pain relievers aren't drugs! They're M&Ms!!!

Arthritic, fibromyalgic, neuralgic (OLD) Bill

(Hey, other than my knees, hips, lower back and shoulders, I'm good to
go...)

Roger Zoul
May 23rd 05, 05:12 PM
Maggie wrote:
:: I sprained my ankle at the REST STOP getting a granola bar. It was
:: ridiculous. Only I could get hurt at the rest stop. It was a
:: humbling experience to say the least. I guess I had been feeling
:: too full of myself as I was riding. Karma at work.

Last year I was doing either my first or second charity ride - just a 35
mile ride. I met this lady on the ride who had just bought her bike the
night before and didn't really know how to change the gears. So, we sort of
began friends on the ride and I decided I would just ride with her, as she
was slow on the climbs and there were some places along the route that were
isolated. Anywho, long story short, as we were getting ready to leave a
rest stop she fell off her bike and got banged up a bit. So, where aren't
the only one. BTW, she did finish the ride, but the time was way slow...I
think we averaged 9 mph. It turns out, she lives around in my neighborhood
and this charity event was in a different city.

Maggie
May 23rd 05, 05:15 PM
Roger Zoul wrote:
Anywho, long story short, as we were getting ready to leave a
> rest stop she fell off her bike and got banged up a bit.

You mean there are actually other people on charity rides who fall off
their bikes at rest stops? Glad to hear it. I thought I was the
first.

Maggie

Stephen Harding
May 23rd 05, 07:31 PM
Maggie wrote:

> The ride is over, I made it. (Barely). I sprained my ankle because I
> was not paying attention to what I was doing. (As usual).

Congrats. Was fairly confident you'd make it. Hopefully the rain
held off!

> I am absoultely exhausted today. Had a fabulous birthday. Got lots of
> pretty presents. My brother is taking me to the Rolling Stones Concert
> as my gift. And I have tickets to Vegas. My kids bought me a new
> dishwasher.

Hmmm. Rolling Stones concert versus a dishwasher. I'd have to give
gold stars to 'bro if it were me. Even with a dishwasher, I still
usually wash by hand.

If you've never seen the Stones in concert you're in for a real treat!
I've seen them twice and they're about the best concert I've seen,
and I've seen quite a few big ones!

Constant movement, running around, jumping and such a selection of
music to choose. Used to be a good long show as well.

Funny story...my first Stones concert was in Houston, TX with the
"Fabulous Thunderbirds" and "ZZ Top" as *warmup bands*!!! You can
imagine! And in Texas too!

The kids in the row ahead of me were slowly getting blasted with
booze and dope during the first two acts. Jumping up and down, yelling
and generally having a great time with every song played.

By the time Stones came out (late, with the gall to start off with
"Under My Thumb") the party animals in front of me were sound asleep!

They missed the Rolling Stones!

SMH

Maggie
May 23rd 05, 07:43 PM
Stephen Harding wrote:
> They missed the Rolling Stones!

That is too funny. My brother has been a hard core Stones Fan forever.
When we were in HS I was into the Beatles and he loved the Stones.
Finally he converted me. It will be such a kick seeing a Stones
concert with him. He has been to many, I have never been to any. I
think he has been to see all the Stones tours in fact.

I have never missed a Rod Stewart tour. As far as my kids are
concerned....I really needed the dishwasher. They may be adults now but
they still feed their faces at Mama's. I think something was in it
for them because I was making them wash dishes by hand. Something
their generation has no conception of doing. They were raised putting
dishes into a machine, not standing next to the sink washing. But I
love it. And I needed it. Dishes for a family of five every night,
done by hand, can get nuts after everyone is exhausted from a full day
of work.

I am definately looking forward to the Stones concert. I always feel
like a teenager again when I go to a concert. There is just something
wonderful about being there and being a part of it. I revert back to
16.

Maggie

It's Only Rock 'n Roll (Jagger/Richards)

I said I know it's only rock 'n roll but I like it.
I know it's only rock'n roll but I like it, like it, yes, I do.
Oh, well, I like it, I like it, I like it.

Pat
May 23rd 05, 07:50 PM
:: Funny story...my first Stones concert was in Houston, TX with the
: "Fabulous Thunderbirds" and "ZZ Top" as *warmup bands*!!! You can
: imagine! And in Texas too!
:
: SMH

There is a huge difference between the culture in the big cities and the
rural areas in Texas. It's not all one homogeneous state.

Pat in TX
:
:

Roger Zoul
May 23rd 05, 07:52 PM
Maggie wrote:
:: So, I finished 25 miles (slowly) and I HAD ME A REAL GOOD TIME. Met
:: alot of wonderful people. I'm tired. And my desk is piled high with
:: work. Hope you all had a great weekend too.

I was kinda hoping to hear more about your ride, Maggie. How was the ride
itself? Did you encounter any difficult riding with others, did you all
form any groups, did you meet any tough hills, get chased by any dogs, see
any really fat people riding, see any clowns (When I did my first organized
century (the first one I completed, I should say) last December, as we where
nearing the end, these three girls dressed in some kind of red Christmas
bunny outfits passed us by. They were in paceline formation and I wanted to
stay on their tail. Alas, my riding buddy was feeling a little flat at that
point, so I had to hang back.)?

Maggie
May 23rd 05, 08:05 PM
Stephen Harding wrote:

I'd have to give gold stars to 'bro if it were me.

This is funny. My brother calls me Sis and I always call him Bro. Does
that have something to do with the generation? My kids don't do that
with each other. Sis I never minded, but if he called me Sissy, I'd
whack him.

Maggie

Maggie
May 23rd 05, 08:15 PM
Roger Zoul wrote:
> I was kinda hoping to hear more about your ride, Maggie. How was the
ride
> itself? Did you encounter any difficult riding with others, did you
all
> form any groups

It was basically all flat ground. I did not have to climb any hills.
But I only did the 25 mile ride. I stayed with a group of people who
were not very experienced riders who were really out there to help the
charity. I took my time, everything was set up wonderfully well and
festive. There were many children on the 25 miler. It was fun.

Just like the walk-a-thon I did for charity, it had a very easy pace to
it. They stressed it was not a race. It was raising money and having
fun. At the two charity events I have been to so far, they certainly
ease your mind about finishing. They want to make you very comfortable
regarding participation. I guess if someone like me has a good
experience I will encourage others like myself to participate and raise
money.

It was not a race. No one was out to win anything. It was a giving,
not a getting. The only thing you GOT was the satisfaction of knowing
you helped someone and you finished. I think that makes all the
difference in the attitude of the people. We were all there to raise
money and have some fun while doing it. I will never be afraid of a
charity event again. Even a wimp like me can do a charity walk or ride.

I did see some funny outfits. Some guy had some star wars get up on.
I am not into star wars...so I have no idea who he was supposed to be.

Maggie

Zoot Katz
May 23rd 05, 08:19 PM
23 May 2005 05:51:17 -0700,
. com>,
"Maggie" > wrote:

>The ride is over, I made it.

Congratulations.

I'd like to be able to ride 25 miles on my birthday.
--
zk

dgk
May 23rd 05, 08:23 PM
On 23 May 2005 05:51:17 -0700, "Maggie" >
wrote:

>The ride is over, I made it. (Barely). I sprained my ankle because I
>was not paying attention to what I was doing. (As usual).
>
>I am absoultely exhausted today. Had a fabulous birthday. Got lots of
>pretty presents. My brother is taking me to the Rolling Stones Concert
>as my gift. And I have tickets to Vegas. My kids bought me a new
>dishwasher.
>
>So, I finished 25 miles (slowly) and I HAD ME A REAL GOOD TIME. Met
>alot of wonderful people. I'm tired. And my desk is piled high with
>work. Hope you all had a great weekend too.
>
>Love,
>MAGGIE
>

>HAD ME A REAL GOOD TIME
>(Ron Wood, Rod Stewart & Ronnie Lane)
>
>Steady all day!
>Thought I was lookin' good
>So I cycled 'cross the neighbourhood
>
>On my way home I happened to fall off my bicycle, good party
>Ooh hoo, ha ha, yeah
>
>I was glad to come, but I was also glad to get home, yeah
>Ooh hoo

You are now promoted. I expect you to join BikeNY on the first Sunday
in May of 2006.

Maggie
May 23rd 05, 08:31 PM
Zoot Katz wrote:

> I'd like to be able to ride 25 miles on my birthday.
> --
> zk

When is your birthday. May I ask HOW OLD?

You'll be back riding soon. Have faith.

Maggie...

Maggie
May 23rd 05, 08:34 PM
dgk wrote:

> You are now promoted. I expect you to join BikeNY on the first Sunday
> in May of 2006.

OK.....I'll give it my best shot.

Has anyone ever met anyone from this NG face to face? We should all
have a meet-up. :-)

Maggie

Ravi
May 23rd 05, 08:58 PM
Maggie wrote:
> The ride is over, I made it. (Barely). I sprained my ankle because I
> was not paying attention to what I was doing. (As usual).

Great !! Good job. Do, treat yourself well in the name of recovery ;-)
after all some people like me like to eat, so riding => more eating ;)

> I am absoultely exhausted today. Had a fabulous birthday. Got lots of
> pretty presents. My brother is taking me to the Rolling Stones Concert
> as my gift. And I have tickets to Vegas. My kids bought me a new
> dishwasher.

Happy Birthday !! May be set a target before the next year, that you
would do the distance ride of <your age> miles. on my ride last sat. i
met this guy who turned 50 this year and is planning to do 5 Double
Centuries to celebrate ;) that is crazy, but he has only two more to do.

> So, I finished 25 miles (slowly) and I HAD ME A REAL GOOD TIME. Met
> alot of wonderful people. I'm tired. And my desk is piled high with

regd. the ankle, i too had an issue of a some small pain in the ankle
and my doc suggested that i take a look at the knee as well. Turns out
that my leg warmers - which some time bunches up on the back of the knee
- causes the nerves on the back of the knee (which runs to the ankle) to
compress and hence was causing the problem at the ankle. Now, after any
big ride, i ice the front and back of the knee to relax it away and i
never let the leg/knee warms bunchup. actually AXO has a product for
ankle support, i went and bought that, but the doc says i shd rather not
use it...

it may be of some help to you:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1959

cheers,
+ravi

> work. Hope you all had a great weekend too.
>
> Love,
> MAGGIE
>

> HAD ME A REAL GOOD TIME
> (Ron Wood, Rod Stewart & Ronnie Lane)
>
> Steady all day!
> Thought I was lookin' good
> So I cycled 'cross the neighbourhood
>
> On my way home I happened to fall off my bicycle, good party
> Ooh hoo, ha ha, yeah
>
> I was glad to come, but I was also glad to get home, yeah
> Ooh hoo

Roger Zoul
May 23rd 05, 09:09 PM
Maggie wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::: I was kinda hoping to hear more about your ride, Maggie. How was
::: the ride itself? Did you encounter any difficult riding with
::: others, did you all form any groups
::
::
[...]

All of the organized rides I've been on are charity events and are not
races. However, there do seem to be those who get at the head of the pack
and ride hard. I personally don't try to race but I do think about how long
it takes me to finish. Since these events aren't professional races and can
be entered by anyone with a bike and a helmet, the sponsors don't run them
like races. For me, the charity part of it seems almost invisible, as only
part of the proceeds go toward the charity and there typically (at least in
my experience) isn't much focus given to the chartity.

lokey
May 23rd 05, 09:17 PM
"Maggie" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Rich wrote:
>> You appear to get hurt frequently when NOT on your bike.
>
> That is because I am always yammering away chatting with someone and
> not paying attention to what I am doing. You would think it would be
> easy to get from a bike to a granola bar.
>
> When I am on the bike I actually have to concentrate.

I find something similar. When I am doing a more difficult part of a trail
I am concentrating and rarely crash. I'm much more likely to have an 'oops'
when I've finished the 'hard' part and relax. I sometimes miss a relatively
minor bump or trail feature and do an endo or something similarly
embarrassing on an easy part of the trail.

--
'Swinging on the branch
of a broken family tree'

Stephen Harding
May 23rd 05, 09:17 PM
Pat wrote:

> :: Funny story...my first Stones concert was in Houston, TX with the
> : "Fabulous Thunderbirds" and "ZZ Top" as *warmup bands*!!! You can
> : imagine! And in Texas too!
> :
> : SMH
>
> There is a huge difference between the culture in the big cities and the
> rural areas in Texas. It's not all one homogeneous state.

Absolutely! Texas is a very large state. I lived there for a bit
over 3 years going to school.

My reference to "in Texas too" was that the Fabulous Thunderbirds
and ZZ Top were both Texas bands. I think possibly even Houston
area bands too, but I can't recall for certain.

Needless to say, the audience and the performers really put out
when you have that kind of show in your "home" so to speak.

SMH

Zoot Katz
May 23rd 05, 09:19 PM
23 May 2005 12:31:47 -0700,
. com>,
"Maggie" > wrote:

>> I'd like to be able to ride 25 miles on my birthday.
>
>When is your birthday.

Fifty nine days after the surgery. IOW, 15 more days until I'm 56.

I've begun putting some weight on that shaved leg but the foot and
badly sprained ankle are still too swollen to wear a shoe.

I expect the leg should be fully weight bearing by the Solstice.
--
zk

Stephen Harding
May 23rd 05, 09:27 PM
Maggie wrote:

> dgk wrote:
>
>>You are now promoted. I expect you to join BikeNY on the first Sunday
>>in May of 2006.
>

> OK.....I'll give it my best shot.
>
> Has anyone ever met anyone from this NG face to face? We should all
> have a meet-up. :-)

Meet-up!!! August 1st at noon. Geographical center of the US.

Oops, thats being US-centric and there are some people from
other countries posting here.

OK then; see y'all at the geographical center of the earth.

Maggie should be good for 100 miles by then.

SMH

Maggie
May 23rd 05, 09:32 PM
Stephen Harding wrote:

> OK then; see y'all at the geographical center of the earth.

OK your on....I'm there!!!!!

Maggie

Fabrizio Mazzoleni
May 23rd 05, 09:32 PM
"Maggie" > wrote in message oups.com...
> The ride is over, I made it. (Barely). I sprained my ankle because I

For next training ride mix these and take by intravenous injection:
Meperidine = 60 mg, Naproxen 70mg, Methadone 10mg,
Hydrocodone 1.5 mg, Hydromorphone 1.5 mg, Nalbuphine 5mg,
Oxycodone 15 mg, and Codeine 40 mg.

Your ankle won't be an issue while on the bike.

You must ride like this when having pain.

Claire
May 23rd 05, 09:40 PM
> Has anyone ever met anyone from this NG face to face? We should all
> have a meet-up. :-)

I have met Zoot and Ryan C., and I have ridden a few miles with some of
the local Seattle people.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Personal page: http://www.geocities.com/cpete=ADrsky/
See the books I've set free at:
http://bookcrossing.com/referr=AD=ADal/Cpetersky

Stephen Harding
May 23rd 05, 09:54 PM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:
> "Maggie" > wrote in message oups.com...
>
>>The ride is over, I made it. (Barely). I sprained my ankle because I
>>

> For next training ride mix these and take by intravenous injection:
> Meperidine = 60 mg, Naproxen 70mg, Methadone 10mg,
> Hydrocodone 1.5 mg, Hydromorphone 1.5 mg, Nalbuphine 5mg,
> Oxycodone 15 mg, and Codeine 40 mg.
>
> Your ankle won't be an issue while on the bike.
>
> You must ride like this when having pain.

You missed your calling Fab. Why are you wasting your
time on the Euro pro racing circuit?

You were born for sports medicine!

SMH

Maggie
May 23rd 05, 09:56 PM
Claire wrote:
> > Has anyone ever met anyone from this NG face to face? We should
all
> > have a meet-up. :-)
>
> I have met Zoot and Ryan C., and I have ridden a few miles with some
of
> the local Seattle people.

You met Zoot? Is he really as crabby as he writes? I bet he is a real
sweetheart. (or I could be wrong)

Maggie

Michael Warner
May 24th 05, 09:53 AM
On 23 May 2005 05:51:17 -0700, Maggie wrote:

> I am absoultely exhausted today. Had a fabulous birthday. Got lots of
> pretty presents. My brother is taking me to the Rolling Stones Concert
> as my gift.

Great. It'll do you good to go and watch people even older and more
decrepit than you :-)

--
bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo

Maggie
May 24th 05, 12:29 PM
Michael Warner wrote:

> Great. It'll do you good to go and watch people even older and more
> decrepit than you :-)

That was harsh. :(

Maggie

You can't always get what you want
And if you try sometime you find
You get what you need

Mick Jagger/Keith Richard

RonSonic
May 24th 05, 02:05 PM
On Tue, 24 May 2005 18:23:33 +0930, Michael Warner > wrote:

>On 23 May 2005 05:51:17 -0700, Maggie wrote:
>
>> I am absoultely exhausted today. Had a fabulous birthday. Got lots of
>> pretty presents. My brother is taking me to the Rolling Stones Concert
>> as my gift.
>
>Great. It'll do you good to go and watch people even older and more
>decrepit than you :-)

I am amazed that "Keef" can still move. One of the more ironic icons of western
civilization. He's outlived entire hordes of health nuts and is still more rock
than the millions of kids out there emulating him. A freeking marvel.

Ron

wafflycat
May 24th 05, 02:18 PM
Glad you achieved, Maggie, and that you had a good time.

Cheers, helen s

Maggie
May 24th 05, 02:28 PM
RonSonic wrote:
> I am amazed that "Keef" can still move. One of the more ironic icons
of western
> civilization. He's outlived entire hordes of health nuts and is still
more rock
> than the millions of kids out there emulating him. A freeking marvel.
>
> Ron

Keith the ex herion addict and man of "HOW MANY WAYS CAN I ABUSE MY
BODY AND LIVE"....is truly talented. He is also a master at cheating
death. I look at him today (in his sixties) and wonder how he is still
alive.

But most of the sixties rock stars that are still jumping around on
stage abused their bodies for years or decades. I can't figure it out.
Maybe it's just dumb luck. Who knows.

Do you think "Keef" ever rode a bicycle? Or trained for anything
beside drinking and drugging? And he still rocks. Incredible.

Maggie.

Maggie
May 24th 05, 02:32 PM
wafflycat wrote:
> Glad you achieved, Maggie, and that you had a good time.
>
> Cheers, helen s

Thank you. It was a good time. A really good time. I am looking
forward to doing it again. Maybe try for 50. This time I will watch
out for the granola bars. They can be dangerous. ;-)

Maggie

wafflycat
May 24th 05, 06:26 PM
"Maggie" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> wafflycat wrote:
>> Glad you achieved, Maggie, and that you had a good time.
>>
>> Cheers, helen s
>

> Thank you. It was a good time. A really good time. I am looking
> forward to doing it again. Maybe try for 50. This time I will watch
> out for the granola bars. They can be dangerous. ;-)
>
> Maggie

Granola bar doesn't translate to this side of the pond - what is a granola
bar?

Seriously - I can manage 50 - so you can too!

Cheers, helen s

Leo Lichtman
May 24th 05, 07:13 PM
"wafflycat" wrote: (clip) what is a granola bar? Seriously - I can manage
50 - so you can too!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
As Maggie said, Granola* bars have taste and texture somewhat like goat
food, so I seriously doubt that you could manage to eat 50 of them. Maggie
can't manage even ONE without injury.

* Granola is a dry cerial made by mixing various nuts, grains and flakes
into a nutritious and somewhat unpleasant mixture eaten with milk, out of a
bowl, like cornflakes.

A Granola bar is a hand-held brick made by gluing granola together, and
eaten by chewing a lot, and swallowing with difficulty.

Tom Keats
May 24th 05, 07:15 PM
In article >,
"wafflycat" <waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> writes:

> Granola bar doesn't translate to this side of the pond - what is a granola
> bar?

It's something like a muesli bar.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Tom Keats
May 24th 05, 07:26 PM
In article >,
"Leo Lichtman" > writes:

> A Granola bar is a hand-held brick made by gluing granola together

I assumed they were made by blasting the granola from
a shotgun, into shoe-tongue leather (or maybe into
slabs of Macintosh's Toffee[tm] for the chewier bars.)

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Tom Keats
May 24th 05, 07:32 PM
In article . com>,
"Maggie" > writes:
> The ride is over, I made it. (Barely). I sprained my ankle because I
> was not paying attention to what I was doing. (As usual).
>
> I am absoultely exhausted today. Had a fabulous birthday. Got lots of
> pretty presents. My brother is taking me to the Rolling Stones Concert
> as my gift. And I have tickets to Vegas. My kids bought me a new
> dishwasher.
>
> So, I finished 25 miles (slowly) and I HAD ME A REAL GOOD TIME. Met
> alot of wonderful people. I'm tired. And my desk is piled high with
> work. Hope you all had a great weekend too.

I'm glad you had such a good time (I knew you would,) and
a belated Many Happy Returns to you. Welcome to 51.

Are ya gonna keep the old dishwasher (just to lay a
beatin' on, when the mood suits?)

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Maggie
May 24th 05, 07:33 PM
Tom Keats wrote:
> Are ya gonna keep the old dishwasher (just to lay a
> beatin' on, when the mood suits?)
>

> cheers,
> Tom

When that dishwasher broke for the 5th time, I beat it up so bad, it
does not deserve any more of my wrath. It has been through enough.
It served me well for years then I beat the crap out of it. What kind
of person am I? Don't answer that. I have anger issues.

Maggie

Mike Latondresse
May 24th 05, 07:35 PM
"Maggie" > wrote in
ups.com:

> dgk wrote:
>>
>> You are now promoted. I expect you to join BikeNY on the first
>> Sunday in May of 2006.
>
> OK.....I'll give it my best shot.
>
> Has anyone ever met anyone from this NG face to face? We should
> all have a meet-up. :-)

Sounds good to me, how about the corner of Burrard and Georgia in 20
minutes.

Tom Keats
May 24th 05, 08:03 PM
In article >,
Mike Latondresse > writes:
> "Maggie" > wrote in
> ups.com:
>

>> dgk wrote:
>>>
>>> You are now promoted. I expect you to join BikeNY on the first
>>> Sunday in May of 2006.
>>
>> OK.....I'll give it my best shot.
>>
>> Has anyone ever met anyone from this NG face to face? We should
>> all have a meet-up. :-)
>>
> Sounds good to me, how about the corner of Burrard and Georgia in 20
> minutes.

Friday at 5:00 PM (PDT) is better.

Bring/do something pirate-y.
http://vancouvercm.blogspot.com/

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Maggie
May 24th 05, 08:38 PM
Tom Keats wrote:
> Friday at 5:00 PM (PDT) is better.

Let's meet on Maggie's Farm....I can't get no one to work on it no
more, no more.

-Friday, 5-ish..Down on Maggies farm.

Maggie.
Bring your work gloves.

Sandor
May 24th 05, 09:42 PM
In article >,
wafflycat <remove celebrities and change caps to obvious> wrote:

>Glad you achieved, Maggie, and that you had a good time.
>
>Cheers, helen s

Oddly now that she has an experience we all want to hear about
she's got little to say about it. We don't know which bike she
rode, how many rest-stops there were, how long it took her,
whether she sagged at all, which miles were the hardest, if it
was an out and back loop, whether she had any bike related
problems, any flats, if she felt she trained enough, or indeed
how many training rides total.

Most people recount the most minute details of their first ride,
many even posting blogs and pics. Guess nobody got any pictures
either, not even one of the rider starting out by the family,
or of the victorious rider completing the ride.

wafflycat
May 24th 05, 10:21 PM
"Sandor" > wrote in message

> Most people recount the most minute details of their first ride,
> many even posting blogs and pics. Guess nobody got any pictures
> either, not even one of the rider starting out by the family,
> or of the victorious rider completing the ride.

I didn't get any pics of my first 25 either. Doesn't mean I didn't do it and
Maggie not giving oodles of details doesn't mean she didn't do the distance
either :-)

Cheers, helen s

Maggie
May 24th 05, 10:29 PM
Sandor wrote:
> In article >,
>
> Most people recount the most minute details of their first ride,
> many even posting blogs and pics. Guess nobody got any pictures
> either, not even one of the rider starting out by the family,
> or of the victorious rider completing the ride.

Why are you talking in circles. You don't believe I did the ride.

Thats ok, you don't have to believe anything. That is your choice.

If I did not detail what MOST PEOPLE DO after a ride....it is because I
have no clue what anyone is talking about when they detail their rides.
I simply rode where I was told to ride and followed the pack.

I did the same thing when I participated in the March of Dimes Walk. I
just followed the pack for 10 miles. Not thinking about time, distance
or where the hell I was. I raised $900.00 from my sponsors.

I was not Lance Armstrong, (or a wonderful rider like Claire) I was a
lady on a bike who fell over at a rest stop. It was all flat ground,
no hills, I rode with a bunch of other people who had no clue what they
were doing either and I had a really great time. It was 25 miles and
some of the riders in my group were 10 years old. My best memories were
seeing the balloons and signs signaling a rest area. My Enduro 8
function cyclocomputer was not attached to my bike. It is still is on
my desk so I have no information from that.

If you want times, distance, pedal rotations, and a blow by blow of the
event.....I can't give that to you.

I know we live in a cynical world.....but try to believe the best of
people. Sometimes they surprise you. ;-) Sometimes they turn out to be
lying ****-heads with no motive but to build their self esteem through
imaginative lies or wild stories through online chat. But sometimes
they DO surprise you and tell the truth.
Maggie.

PS. Gee what if I did lie and said I pushed ahead to do the 50 mile. I
should have stolen information from another riders cyclocomputer. I
would have had much to say. But I really would not do that.

We have to live with what we do. I detest liars. I've known many. I
abhor lying and liars.
Maggie.

Sandor
May 24th 05, 10:34 PM
In article >,
wafflycat <remove celebrities and change caps to obvious> wrote:

>"Sandor" > wrote in message
>>
>> Most people recount the most minute details of their first ride,
>> many even posting blogs and pics. Guess nobody got any pictures
>> either, not even one of the rider starting out by the family,
>> or of the victorious rider completing the ride.

>I didn't get any pics of my first 25 either. Doesn't mean I didn't do it and
>Maggie not giving oodles of details doesn't mean she didn't do the distance
>either :-)
>
>Cheers, helen s

Uh, 'oodles of details'? I recall reading something about
stopping at a 'refreshment stand' to eat a granola bar, but no
details of the ride itself. You telling me you have no interest
in the details of the ride, how long it took, weather,
difficulty?

Sandor
May 24th 05, 10:46 PM
In article om>,
Maggie > wrote:

>Sandor wrote:
>> In article >,
>>
>> Most people recount the most minute details of their first ride,
>> many even posting blogs and pics. Guess nobody got any pictures
>> either, not even one of the rider starting out by the family,
>> or of the victorious rider completing the ride.

>Why are you talking in circles. You don't believe I did the ride.
>
>Thats ok, you don't have to believe anything. That is your choice.
>
>If I did not detail what MOST PEOPLE DO after a ride....it is because I
>have no clue what anyone is talking about when they detail their rides.
>I simply rode where I was told to ride and followed the pack.

Well how long did it take you? How was the weather?

You say at first had a wonderful time, but now you say you just
followed the people ahead of you? I seem to recall you telling
one poster just before the ride that you'd be sure and post all
the 'excruciating details'. I'd like to hear the details - I
have no interest in whether you're being truthful or not, but
if you did the ride why not describe what was wonderful?

May 24th 05, 10:51 PM
Step Off Dude!! It's not as if maggie was claiming to have stuck to
Cipollini's wheel during a sprint or dropped lance. She rode a twenty
five mile charity ride. That's great for her. On Sunday a seven year
old finished a 15 mile tour so 25 is not an epic ride. Let her be
proud and hopefully she will continue to train and do a 35 then a 50
miler !!

gds
May 24th 05, 11:10 PM
Sandor wrote:
> In article om>,
> Maggie > wrote:
> >

> >Sandor wrote:
> >> In article >,
> >>
> >> Most people recount the most minute details of their first ride,
> >> many even posting blogs and pics. Guess nobody got any pictures
> >> either, not even one of the rider starting out by the family,
> >> or of the victorious rider completing the ride.

> >Why are you talking in circles. You don't believe I did the ride.
> >
> >Thats ok, you don't have to believe anything. That is your choice.
> >
> >If I did not detail what MOST PEOPLE DO after a ride....it is because I
> >have no clue what anyone is talking about when they detail their rides.
> >I simply rode where I was told to ride and followed the pack.
>
> Well how long did it take you? How was the weather?
>
> You say at first had a wonderful time, but now you say you just
> followed the people ahead of you? I seem to recall you telling
> one poster just before the ride that you'd be sure and post all
> the 'excruciating details'. I'd like to hear the details - I
> have no interest in whether you're being truthful or not, but
> if you did the ride why not describe what was wonderful?

Something is very wrong in your life. I suggest therapy or drugs. You
are taking this all a bit too seriously.

Leo Lichtman
May 24th 05, 11:29 PM
Sandor wrote: (clip) Oddly now that she has an expience we all want to hear
about she's got little to say about it. (clip)
Wafflycat wrote: (clip)Maggie not giving oodles of details doesn't mean she
didn't do the distance either :-)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I didn't read any implication of lying in Sandor's post. I read it as a
kind of good-natured tease of Maggie--that she's usually full of chit-chat
about everything in her life, perhaps sometimes exceeding out attention
span, and now that she has our attention, she's pretty quiet.

I would like to know how her previous knee injury behaved during the ride,
and how far she had to ride to finish with the sprained ankle. Was it
horrible, tolerable, or just one of those things? How about it, Maggie?

Sandor
May 24th 05, 11:30 PM
In article m>,
gds > wrote:

>Sandor wrote:
>> In article om>,
>> Maggie > wrote:

>> >Why are you talking in circles. You don't believe I did the ride.
>> >
>> >Thats ok, you don't have to believe anything. That is your choice.
>> >
>> >If I did not detail what MOST PEOPLE DO after a ride....it is because I
>> >have no clue what anyone is talking about when they detail their rides.
>> >I simply rode where I was told to ride and followed the pack.
>>
>> Well how long did it take you? How was the weather?
>>
>> You say at first had a wonderful time, but now you say you just
>> followed the people ahead of you? I seem to recall you telling
>> one poster just before the ride that you'd be sure and post all
>> the 'excruciating details'. I'd like to hear the details - I
>> have no interest in whether you're being truthful or not, but
>> if you did the ride why not describe what was wonderful?

>Something is very wrong in your life. I suggest therapy or drugs. You
>are taking this all a bit too seriously.

Huh? Because I ask about the interesting details on a bike ride
that we've been hearing about for the past six months. Haha.

I figured the group would 'rally' to support, but it seems like
you are the one getting all hot and bothered, gary.

jj
May 24th 05, 11:36 PM
On 24 May 2005 15:10:25 -0700, "gds" > wrote:

>Sandor wrote:
>> In article om>,
>> Maggie > wrote:

>> >Why are you talking in circles. You don't believe I did the ride.
>> >
>> >Thats ok, you don't have to believe anything. That is your choice.
>> >
>> >If I did not detail what MOST PEOPLE DO after a ride....it is because I
>> >have no clue what anyone is talking about when they detail their rides.
>> >I simply rode where I was told to ride and followed the pack.
>>
>> Well how long did it take you? How was the weather?
>>
>> You say at first had a wonderful time, but now you say you just
>> followed the people ahead of you? I seem to recall you telling
>> one poster just before the ride that you'd be sure and post all
>> the 'excruciating details'. I'd like to hear the details - I
>> have no interest in whether you're being truthful or not, but
>> if you did the ride why not describe what was wonderful?

>Something is very wrong in your life. I suggest therapy or drugs. You
>are taking this all a bit too seriously.

Here's the post I think Sandor is referring to:

----<snip>----
Neil Brooks wrote:

> I expect a minute-by-minute ride report on Monday (and I'm pretty
> sure we'll get it!)

> Neil

If I am alive and back at work on Monday, you KNOW I will be posting
like a maniac. So to those whom I drive crazy...kilfile me now.

I don't usually go on the computer at night when I am home, but I am
antsy about tomorrow. I figured I would check out the NG and see what
is happening. I'll probably be posting until midnight. ;-) Either
posting or shopping online. Ummmm shop online...sounds good.

The roads are all wet around here. Where did this rain come from?
They said it would be a beautiful weekend. HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN!!!!!!

Maggie.
----<snip>----

I don't see this as anymore than a harmless question, showing interest in,
well, a bicycle ride.

jj

gds
May 24th 05, 11:59 PM
Sandor wrote:
> I figured the group would 'rally' to support, but it seems like
> you are the one getting all hot and bothered, gary.

Well! It is 105 F here today!!! So, even if I'm not bothered I am hot
:-)

Maggie
May 25th 05, 12:32 AM
gds wrote:
> Sandor wrote:
> > In article om>,
>>
> Something is very wrong in your life. I suggest therapy or drugs. You
> are taking this all a bit too seriously.

I know, I think I have a mental condition. I am actually writing from
an institution. ;-)

Sorry about my rant. I have an issue with people who lie, and I get
defensive if someone infers that I might be lying. I know its an issue,
but I am working on it. Sorry. Tomorrow at work I will post a play by
play account of the ride. It will be pretty boring. BUT YOU BETTER
READ IT.

Maggie.

Mike Latondresse
May 25th 05, 12:38 AM
"Maggie" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Tom Keats wrote:
>> Friday at 5:00 PM (PDT) is better.
>>

> Let's meet on Maggie's Farm....I can't get no one to work on it no
> more, no more.
>
> -Friday, 5-ish..Down on Maggies farm.
>
> Maggie.
> Bring your work gloves.

Maggie I don't do work, I am retired (just ride all the time)

Maggie
May 25th 05, 12:42 AM
Leo Lichtman wrote:
> I didn't read any implication of lying in Sandor's post. I read it as a
> kind of good-natured tease of Maggie--that she's usually full of chit-chat
> about everything in her life, perhaps sometimes exceeding out attention
> span, and now that she has our attention, she's pretty quiet.

Leo, Leo

It was not a big thing. I rode 25 miles. There was a rest stop every
few miles. I was riding with Moms, Dads, Grandparents and kids. I
didn't ride fast, I didn't do hills, I saw balloons and banners. All
the serious riders were doing the 100 mile ride.

This was the first year they added the 25 miles. My scraped knee has
been fine. It never caused a problem for me. I fell at a rest stop
and hurt my ankle but it was the end of the race. What else do you
want to know. I don't know how fast I was going, I don't know much of
anything except we all started first....the 25 milers.....and we
probably finished last. My knee was fine, the scenery was beautiful, I
met alot of nice people and I finished. What can I add. Can you give
me a hint as to what I can add. I wrote the same about my March of
Dimes Walk which was a 10 mile walk and no one seemed to want to hear
me write about it more than once. What can I tell you? I'm going
to take a shower and watch American Idol. I wonder who will win. Sorry
I disappointed some who needed more details of my ride. I am not
detail oriented. I am right brained.

If I ever do a century, I am sure I will keep track of my ride a little
more. I told you all what I could.

Maggie.

jj
May 25th 05, 01:02 AM
On 24 May 2005 16:42:49 -0700, "Maggie" > wrote:

>Leo Lichtman wrote:
>> I didn't read any implication of lying in Sandor's post. I read it as a
>> kind of good-natured tease of Maggie--that she's usually full of chit-chat
>> about everything in her life, perhaps sometimes exceeding out attention
>> span, and now that she has our attention, she's pretty quiet.
>>
>Leo, Leo
>
>It was not a big thing. I rode 25 miles. There was a rest stop every
>few miles. I was riding with Moms, Dads, Grandparents and kids. I
>didn't ride fast, I didn't do hills, I saw balloons and banners. All
>the serious riders were doing the 100 mile ride.

What most people want to hear is how the ride affected you. For you, your
first 25 mile ride was a big thing. People who read it can re-live -their-
first long ride. I don't see why you'd say (by implication) that you're not
a serious rider - certainly you had a -few- doubts about being able to do
25 miles, after all you had not ridden the course before, and according to
your comment the night before it wasn't at all sure there wouldn't be rain.

A typical report might be:

'The morning of the race I woke up early at 5:00 and was a little nervous
so all I could get down was coffee. My family helped me load up the bike in
the station wagon (I rode the Wal-mart bike, which weighed almost 40lbs!),
and off we went.

We arrived an hour before the race and I busied myself getting my race info
and turned over the pledges (almost 900 bucks!), and then did the usual
stupid stuff like try to oil my chain like the other bikers but got the oil
in my shoes, instead.

The weather had decided to cooperate and though the roads were wet the
course was nice, and the marshals had picked a low traffic area, with the
police helping out at important intersections.

There were rest stops every five miles and I stopped at the first one just
to see what was going on, but didn't need anything. I stopped at the second
one for a drink and to look at the course map - sure enough I had gone 10
miles, yay, me.

In the next five miles a couple people I had passed earlier, passed me
again, and I tried to remember some of the riding tips from the newsgroup,
and got in a lower position to help with the headwind.

At 12 miles we turned around and got a nice tailwind, and that helped a
lot. No aches or pains and I'm surprised at how well I'm doing though I've
only ridden twice in the last two weeks. At 20 miles I got a bit of a
energy surge knowing I was close to finishing and realized I had now ridden
for more than two hours - again, yay, me.

At the finish my family were waiting for me and they had a nice towel and
drink for me and someone took my picture with helmet hair. haha.'

See - we've all been there, and now we've relived part of our past and one
of our early achievements through you!

HTH,

jj

>This was the first year they added the 25 miles. My scraped knee has
>been fine. It never caused a problem for me. I fell at a rest stop
>and hurt my ankle but it was the end of the race. What else do you
>want to know. I don't know how fast I was going, I don't know much of
>anything except we all started first....the 25 milers.....and we
>probably finished last. My knee was fine, the scenery was beautiful, I
>met alot of nice people and I finished. What can I add. Can you give
>me a hint as to what I can add. I wrote the same about my March of
>Dimes Walk which was a 10 mile walk and no one seemed to want to hear
>me write about it more than once. What can I tell you? I'm going
>to take a shower and watch American Idol. I wonder who will win. Sorry
>I disappointed some who needed more details of my ride. I am not
>detail oriented. I am right brained.
>
>If I ever do a century, I am sure I will keep track of my ride a little
>more. I told you all what I could.
>
>Maggie.

Maggie
May 25th 05, 01:37 AM
> A typical report might be:
>
> At the finish my family were waiting for me and they had a nice towel and
> drink for me and someone took my picture with helmet hair. haha.'
>
> See - we've all been there, and now we've relived part of our past and one
> of our early achievements through you!

That was a great story. I wish it happened that way. Only my daughter
was waiting for me. With her digital video camera. The men in this
house think bicycling is for people with DWI's and can't drive. I
think you all know how my male family members feel about cycling. It is
not really in their mind as a "sport". None of them would be seen on a
bicycle. I am sure you all remember me telling you that. So needless
to say. They were not there. I am not sure they even know how much I
ride.

Maggie

Maggie
May 25th 05, 01:38 AM
> A typical report might be:
>
> At the finish my family were waiting for me and they had a nice towel and
> drink for me and someone took my picture with helmet hair. haha.'
>
> See - we've all been there, and now we've relived part of our past and one
> of our early achievements through you!

That was a great story. I wish it happened that way. Only my daughter
was waiting for me. With her digital video camera. The men in this
house think bicycling is for people with DWI's and can't drive. I
think you all know how my male family members feel about cycling. It is
not really in their mind as a "sport". None of them would be seen on a
bicycle. I am sure you all remember me telling you that. So needless
to say. They were not there. I am not sure they even know how much I
ride.

Maggie

jj
May 25th 05, 02:24 AM
On 24 May 2005 17:37:52 -0700, "Maggie" > wrote:

>> A typical report might be:
>>
>> At the finish my family were waiting for me and they had a nice towel and
>> drink for me and someone took my picture with helmet hair. haha.'
>>
>> See - we've all been there, and now we've relived part of our past and one
>> of our early achievements through you!
>>

>That was a great story. I wish it happened that way.

Uh, you might be missing my point. You seem to think a ride report has to
meet some standard or something. Not at all; in fact the more atypical the
better at times.

Maybe we need an easy fill-in form. ;-)

When did you get up?

What problems did you have? (describe: ex: lost my hat/socks/pants, found
'em in the dryer)

What hassles did you experience getting to the ride site? (got lost, got
stopped by the police and told you can't get there from here, etc.)

What bike did you ride? (mind you we don't -care- if it was a good bike or
a bad bike - we only want specifics.)

Did you have any problems with your biking gear? Helmet? Did you wear
cotton and get all wet or break down and get some polyester? Will you
change your gear for the next ride - i.e., learn anything about yourself or
your need for better gear?

How many training rides did you do in the last two weeks? (many rides good
- no ride, well then even more amazing that you got the 25).

What did you eat pre-ride? Was it helpful?

What was the weather like? Hot, cold, wet, windy? How windy?

How many times did you stop? At what point did the riding get difficult (or
not at all)? Was it a challenge? If not, why not?

How long did it take to the mid-point? How long to the first rest stop? How
long til the next rest stop?

Did you ride faster after eating the granola? Slower? Drink enough; too
much? Have to run into the bushes from drinking too much?

How long did it take you (ex: left at 9:00, go back to the car at 11:15 or
11:30)? (From this you can roughly calculate your miles per hour)

Did you get lost? If not, why the hell not! <haha> You know you're not
trying hard enough if you didn't get lost once (maybe turned around
backwards at a rest stop, or something)?

Is 25 miles your longest ride?

Did you ride a recovery ride the next day?

Any soreness?

When are you gonna ride next?

Do you feel any let down, or are you eager to ride again now that you've
got 25mile legs?

Any plan to get a better bike now?

>Only my daughter
>was waiting for me. With her digital video camera.

Ah-ha, there is video! Post it, snips or stills, on your site!

> The men in this
>house think bicycling is for people with DWI's and can't drive. I
>think you all know how my male family members feel about cycling. It is
>not really in their mind as a "sport". None of them would be seen on a
>bicycle.

Are you sure about that? Most guys who ride snowboards have a reasonable
understanding about how difficult road biking is. You did say they rewarded
you with concert tickets, didn't you? They don't normally do that if they
think nothing of your efforts, after all, right?

>I am sure you all remember me telling you that. So needless
>to say. They were not there. I am not sure they even know how much I
>ride.

How much -do- you ride? Once a week, three times a week? 20 times total in
your life?

See it's not so much about -you- but about -you, the cyclist-. Even though
it's rec.bicycles.misc, the bicycles come before the misc, at least some of
the time.

jj

Ravi
May 25th 05, 02:58 AM
Maggie wrote:

> gds wrote:
>

> Sorry about my rant. I have an issue with people who lie, and I get
> defensive if someone infers that I might be lying. I know its an issue,
> but I am working on it. Sorry. Tomorrow at work I will post a play by
> play account of the ride. It will be pretty boring. BUT YOU BETTER
> READ IT.

if you can swing by rec.bicycles.rides, some people are damn good in
writing ride stories, i tried and failed, but just like riding a
bicycle, writing ride stories also comes with experience...

but any ride story is fun to read and gives the reader an chance to
virtually do the ride...

few of the ride stories i frequently read are:
http://www.felixwong.com
http://cycling.adampaul.com/

there are tons more such websites - with nice stories...

enjoy those stories and also you can contribute with your own stories...

cheers,
+ravi

> Maggie.

Maggie
May 25th 05, 02:01 PM
jj wrote:

> Maybe we need an easy fill-in form. ;-)
>
> When did you get up?

I woke up at 5:00 a.m.

> What problems did you have? (describe: ex: lost my hat/socks/pants, found
> 'em in the dryer)

I didn't lose anything, everything was ready the night before.

> What hassles did you experience getting to the ride site? (got lost, got
> stopped by the police and told you can't get there from here, etc.)

the pamphets and info they sent me was fabulous and it was easy finding
the starting line. There were people all over the place with STAFF
jackets on like you see at a concert and the local police directing us.

> What bike did you ride? (mind you we don't -care- if it was a good bike or
> a bad bike - we only want specifics.)

I rode my WALMART BIKE. It was at my brothers apt (not at his house)
so it was easier to pick it up.

> Did you have any problems with your biking gear? Helmet? Did you wear
> cotton and get all wet or break down and get some polyester? Will you
> change your gear for the next ride - i.e., learn anything about yourself or
> your need for better gear?

I bought a helmet for this event. I hated wearing it. Truly hated it.
I also wore bike shorts and borrowed pads.

> How many training rides did you do in the last two weeks? (many rides good
> - no ride, well then even more amazing that you got the 25).

I did alot of training on my stationary bike alot of short rides and
two long rides on my real bike. I also did alot of walking. That was
my preparation.

> What did you eat pre-ride? Was it helpful?

Somehow I think, you think, I did a marathon and really pushed myself.
I was riding with kids. This 25 miles did not even seem like 25 miles.
It was just riding to each rest stop and basically having fun with a
bunch of inexperienced riders who were raising money for charity. No
one was pushing hard. Some of the kids were young. Everyone accomodated
everyone else and it was nice.

> What was the weather like? Hot, cold, wet, windy? How windy?

The weather was perfect. I thought it was going to rain, but it didn't.
Not hot at all.

> How many times did you stop? At what point did the riding get difficult (or
> not at all)? Was it a challenge? If not, why not?

It was certainly a challenge for me, and I was proud of finishing, but
it was not a challenge ride for an experienced cyclist. The pace was
slow, the atmosphere friendly and the group I rode with were all going
slowly and stopping alot. Especially the kids. Some had to drop out.

> How long did it take to the mid-point? How long to the first rest stop? How
> long til the next rest stop?

I have no clue. I was not timing myself.

> Did you ride faster after eating the granola? Slower? Drink enough; too
> much? Have to run into the bushes from drinking too much?

I DON'T KNOW.

> How long did it take you (ex: left at 9:00, go back to the car at 11:15 or
> 11:30)? (From this you can roughly calculate your miles per hour)

I got home in the evening at 7:00 p.m. There were refreshments at the
end of our 25 miler and a raffle drawing.

> Did you get lost? If not, why the hell not! <haha> You know you're not
> trying hard enough if you didn't get lost once (maybe turned around
> backwards at a rest stop, or something)?

How the heck do you get lost when you are with a group of people and
200 guides all over the place, plus police. You are leading me to
believe that most rides are alot more stressful than the one I was in.
Mine was just fun.

> Is 25 miles your longest ride?

YES!

> Did you ride a recovery ride the next day?

NO, my son was in a car accident, I had to handle that.

> Any soreness?

A sprained ankle.

> When are you gonna ride next?

Maybe NEVER!!! I am signed up for two charity walks. One is a
challenge walk from Virginia to Washington. The other is for Breast
Cancer Awareness.

> Do you feel any let down, or are you eager to ride again now that you've
> got 25mile legs?

I want to ride for fun, throw my cyclocomputer in the trash and forget
about all these questions.

> Any plan to get a better bike now?

No. I have a wedding to pay for and my college son now needs a car to
get to school.

> Ah-ha, there is video! Post it, snips or stills, on your site!

We can't even figure out how to put the video on the DVD yet. She just
bought the camera. When we figure out how to make a still shot from it,
I will e-mail it to you. Maybe I will send you the freaking DVD.

> The men in this
> >house think bicycling is for people with DWI's and can't drive. I
> >think you all know how my male family members feel about cycling. It is
> >not really in their mind as a "sport". None of them would be seen on a
> >bicycle.
>
> Are you sure about that? Most guys who ride snowboards have a reasonable
> understanding about how difficult road biking is. You did say they rewarded
> you with concert tickets, didn't you? They don't normally do that if they
> think nothing of your efforts, after all, right?

My brother bought the tickets to the Rolling Stones. IT WAS MY
BIRTHDAY. Don't you READ MY POSTS????

> How much -do- you ride? Once a week, three times a week? 20 times total in
> your life?

Whenever I possibly can, which is about three times a week.

> See it's not so much about -you- but about -you, the cyclist-. Even though
> it's rec.bicycles.misc, the bicycles come before the misc, at least some of
> the time.

I finished your fill in form. Hopefully you have all the information
you think I should have posted. My happy feeling from the ride, just
went down the toilet.

Maggie.

H M Leary
May 25th 05, 02:36 PM
In article
"Leo Lichtman" > wrote:

> "wafflycat" wrote: (clip) what is a granola bar? Seriously - I can manage
> 50 - so you can too!
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> As Maggie said, Granola* bars have taste and texture somewhat like goat
> food, so I seriously doubt that you could manage to eat 50 of them. Maggie
> can't manage even ONE without injury.
>
> * Granola is a dry cerial made by mixing various nuts, grains and flakes
> into a nutritious and somewhat unpleasant mixture eaten with milk, out of a
> bowl, like cornflakes.
>
> A Granola bar is a hand-held brick made by gluing granola together, and
> eaten by chewing a lot, and swallowing with difficulty.

Don't you really mean dog doo in aluminium foil...:)?

...or do they only taste like it...?

HAND

First 19 days of May = no rain
now it won't stop

Bill Sornson
May 25th 05, 04:21 PM
Maggie wrote (not-so-grand inquisition snipped):

> I bought a helmet for this event. I hated wearing it. Truly hated
> it. I also wore bike shorts and borrowed pads.

"Borrowed pads", Gracie? You mean like knee and elbow pads? Total
overkill, IMO. (Save 'em for those bonsai downhill mountain bike runs!)

RICE that ankle, BS

Maggie
May 25th 05, 05:30 PM
Bill Sornson wrote:
> "Borrowed pads", Gracie? You mean like knee and elbow pads? Total
> overkill, IMO. (Save 'em for those bonsai downhill mountain bike runs!)

Well I had hurt my knee at the park when the bicycle knocked me over. I
needed something to protect my knee. Good thing I was wearing them
during the granola bar incident at the refreshment stand. I borrowed
them from my friend in NYC who rides around central park dressed like
Lance Armstrong. I think you refer to him as a "Fred".

Maggie

Zoot Katz
May 25th 05, 06:34 PM
25 May 2005 06:01:06 -0700,
. com>,
"Maggie" > wrote:

>No. I have a wedding to pay for and my college son now needs a car to
>get to school.

He wrecked the last one. Make him buy his own.
--
zk

Maggie
May 25th 05, 07:20 PM
Zoot Katz wrote:
> 25 May 2005 06:01:06 -0700,
> . com>,
> "Maggie" > wrote:
>

> >No. I have a wedding to pay for and my college son now needs a car to
> >get to school.
>
> He wrecked the last one. Make him buy his own.
> --
> zk

No his older brother wrecked his car. And his older brothers car was
wrecked just a week before by an old lady who slammed into it while it
was parked in front of the house. He wasn't even in the car. Neither
one of them has a car now. The older one has to get to work every day,
the younger one has college and delivers pizza for extra money. Can
you buy a car on a pizza delivery kids salary....and my older son can't
afford to buy two cars. One for him and one for his brother. Is this
getting complicated? Plus my car died and I am driving around in a
piece of ****. If that one goes....we are all f**ked.

Maggie

Tom Keats
May 25th 05, 07:23 PM
In article . com>,
"Maggie" > writes:

[my apologies in advance, for my liberal editing/snippage]

[snip]

>> When are you gonna ride next?

> Maybe NEVER!!!

[snip]

> I want to ride for fun, throw my cyclocomputer in the trash and forget
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> about all these questions.

[snip]

> My happy feeling from the ride, just
> went down the toilet.

Ouch. It shouldn't be that way. It sounds like you're
resenting getting the 3rd degree. If so, I don't blame ya.
But we were all just enthusiastically rootin' for ya on your
much heralded 25 miler.

The quality of a ride is not strain'd. Well, sometimes it
is, but that's okay as long as you can ride some more.
Just ride when you feel like it, talk/write about it when
you feel like it, and gush about it when you feel like it.
And keep it private & personal when you feel like it.

I like to keep riding a simple, normal, everyday thing, too.
So I'm quietly enthusiastically rootin' for ya in your
cycling avocation, however you choose to approach it.

I hope you get your happy feeling back. Or at least, a new
one to replace the one down the toilet.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Maggie
May 25th 05, 07:29 PM
Tom Keats wrote:
> Ouch. It shouldn't be that way. It sounds like you're
> resenting getting the 3rd degree. If so, I don't blame ya.
> But we were all just enthusiastically rootin' for ya on your
> much heralded 25 miler.

I wasn't resenting it as much as not knowing what to say about it. I
can't give details like most of you. Plus it was a fun run for
charity. The 25 miler was for people who fall reaching for granola
bars. ;-) and children. It was very slow and relaxed. Most were
doing the 100 mile ride. They were a little more intense.

I think I enjoy the charity walks more than the rides. I've tried both
now, and I like the walks. I am just going to ride for pleasure. I
can't think about riding as much as some people do. There is not
enough room in my brain. I did try the ride and I have to say I
enjoyed the 10 mile walk much more. I'll still ride my bike, just not
in group events.

Maggie

Rich
May 25th 05, 08:12 PM
Maggie wrote:

> The men in this
> house think bicycling is for people with DWI's and can't drive. I
> think you all know how my male family members feel about cycling. It is
> not really in their mind as a "sport". None of them would be seen on a
> bicycle. I am sure you all remember me telling you that. So needless
> to say. They were not there.

Did you point out to the that there would not only be a bicyle there but
their wife and/or mother as well? I'd think they'd care about that.

Seems to me they should show a little more support.

Rich

Maggie
May 25th 05, 08:36 PM
Rich wrote:
> Did you point out to the that there would not only be a bicyle there but
> their wife and/or mother as well? I'd think they'd care about that.
>
> Seems to me they should show a little more support.
>
> Rich

I did not push the issue. If I did ask them to go, they would have
been there. Right now they are using their weekends trying to put a
motor in a car. My son rebuilt an engine and he is putting it in my
Prelude. My one son has school all summer so he can graduate, get his
degree and start teaching, my other son works long hours and has to get
that engine done or he will be walking to work. If I wanted them
there, they would have been there. I have three great kids.

My daughter goes everywhere with me....my daughter and I are very
close. As for my husband. DUH!!!! If I asked him to watch me ride a
bicycle for 25 miles he would fall down laughing. No support there.
When I was young I thought marrying a gear head would be cool. You
know the bad boy with the motorcycle. It wears thin after awhile. I
should have married the nerd who used to buy me roses and write me
poetry. Why are some women so dumb when it comes to men? But he does
love me, in his own way. And its an honest love. You can't ask for
more than that. He is always there when I need him. And he is an honest
man.

Mags.

Leo Lichtman
May 25th 05, 09:46 PM
"Maggie" wrote: (clip) The 25 miler was for people who fall reaching for
granola bars. ;-) and children. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Say what? You also fall reaching for children? Or is it time for the
language police again? <G>

Claire Petersky
May 26th 05, 02:34 AM
Maggie wrote in message
om>...

>I was not Lance Armstrong, (or a wonderful rider like Claire)

I thought that this was pretty funny, to be mentioned in the same breath as
Lance. Maggie, I am no "elite cyclist". How could I be, leading rides for
our club like "Centennial Trail Family Ride" or "Leisurely Lake Hills Loop"?
Talk about fredliness!

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:
http://bookcrossing.com/referr*al/Cpetersky

Tom Keats
May 26th 05, 05:34 AM
In article . com>,
"Maggie" > writes:

> I am just going to ride for pleasure. I
> can't think about riding as much as some people do.

I guess you're just not addicted yet. Maybe you won't ever
be addicted. It doesn't matter. The main thing is that
riding remains a pleasant, optional something-to-do, and
doesn't become onerous. Just do whatever feels good.

BTW, while I was riding around yesterday, I found a $5 bill.
Actually, it found me. The wind blew it up the street
toward me. I had to stop and step on it to keep it from
blowing past. The funny colours on our Canadian money
has its advantages, like being able to spot the blue of
a Canadian $5 from 5 yards away. I guess The Almighty
pays me to ride. Slides me a li'l stipend every now &
then, anyways. Of course it was more like a $20 ride,
but I guess I can't complain. Maybe the balance will
follow shortly.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

wafflycat
May 26th 05, 09:46 AM
"Maggie" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> No his older brother wrecked his car. And his older brothers car was
> wrecked just a week before by an old lady who slammed into it while it
> was parked in front of the house. He wasn't even in the car. Neither
> one of them has a car now. The older one has to get to work every day,
> the younger one has college and delivers pizza for extra money. Can
> you buy a car on a pizza delivery kids salary....and my older son can't
> afford to buy two cars. One for him and one for his brother. Is this
> getting complicated? Plus my car died and I am driving around in a
> piece of ****. If that one goes....we are all f**ked.
>
> Maggie

Methinks the obvious solution is that instead of cars they should be on
bicycles!

Cheers, helen s

Maggie
May 26th 05, 11:17 AM
Tom Keats wrote:
> I guess you're just not addicted yet. Maybe you won't ever
> be addicted.

I don't think there is a possibility to become addicted to anything
right now with the way life is going. I don't know how people get so
much riding time in and spend so much time thinking about it. Maybe I
am not living my life right or something. How do you do this???

Between, work, family and other obligations... there are just not
enough hours in the day to take 4 hour bike rides. I am not saying my
life is more complicated than anyone elses, but everytime I turn around
there is another "SOMETHING" I need to deal with. My kids are adults
but they are all here every night for dinner. The car situation has
become insane.

Bottom line I am stuck at the office all freaking day today because I
have no car. Then I have clients to see tonight for my own business.
Saturday is my daughters engagement party and I have 2,001 things to
do. How can I get addicted. How do any of you get addicted?

My friend in NYC is addicted to riding, but he is not married, has no
kids and has come to the point in his life where he has more money than
he will ever need. I don't envy that, as I think family is the most
important thing in your life, and he is in his forties and still
single. (But....He will probably end up marrying a 28 year old and
having kids when he is 50) Then he will be too old to care about
anything when they hit the teenage years but he will have a young
wife....... :)...Maybe he is playing it smart. UMMMMMMMMMMMM I bet
that is his plan. At 50 he will marry a woman young enough to be his
daughter. OK I figured that one out.

Maybe someday when I retire..or hit the lottery..(if that day ever
comes)....I will become addicted to riding. But as for now, I am just
going to ride when the spirit moves me. I'm not going to worry about
how far or how long or what type of bike I am on. I am just going to
ride the bike. And enjoy the time I have to ride. All I am going to
do is ride sally ride....and when I do it will be a mystery.

Love Maggie.

bentbrian
May 26th 05, 01:20 PM
Maggie,

The life around our place is just about as hectic as yours. We are a
4-H club host farm for about 20 kids in the 4-H program. In the summer
months we have a barn full of kids starting form 9AM and going to as
late as 9PM. We have about 30 miniature horses and 6 big horses that
need daily care, feeding, grooming. My daughter, son-in-law, and son
all live with us. I work full time typically 9-10 hours a day.
Fortunately I can get my riding in by commuting and the odd club ride.
Yes, I'm addicted and I get really crabby if the weather is bad and I
can't ride. Just ride when you can. It is a great stress reliever and
attitude adjuster. Make time for yourself. There are times you might
just have to say "I need some time please" then just go out and ride.
Any time you can spend on your bike is time well spent from both an
emotional and physical aspect. Happy cycling!

--
bentbrian

Maggie
May 26th 05, 04:00 PM
bentbrian wrote:
Make time for yourself. There are times you might
> just have to say "I need some time please" then just go out and ride.
> Any time you can spend on your bike is time well spent from both an
> emotional and physical aspect. Happy cycling!

You sound like my therapist. I can't seem to get that part of my life
right. And this is my 10th therapist. And my daughter is a therapist.
You would think it would sink in that I should take time for myself.
Your life sounds really interesting. I will ride that bike. Whenever
I have an opportunity to ride or when I learn to just throw my hands in
air and leave everyone standing where they are and take off. I love
motherhood, but I did not know it was never ending. No one told me
that. Good thing I got married at 20. If I had teenagers at this age I
would shoot myself.

Thanks,
Maggie

bentbrian
May 26th 05, 07:28 PM
Don't shoot yourself, its too messy! OK now go ride your bike!

--
bentbrian

Tom Keats
May 26th 05, 07:54 PM
In article . com>,
"Maggie" > writes:

> Tom Keats wrote:
>> I guess you're just not addicted yet. Maybe you won't ever
>> be addicted.
>

> I don't think there is a possibility to become addicted to anything
> right now with the way life is going. I don't know how people get so
> much riding time in and spend so much time thinking about it. Maybe I
> am not living my life right or something. How do you do this???

As for myself, I do it by not driving or even owning a car.
So the bike is my preferred transportation mode. Every time
I need to go somewhere, an opportunity to ride presents itself.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Maggie
May 26th 05, 08:50 PM
bentbrian wrote:
> Don't shoot yourself, its too messy! OK now go ride your bike!

I don't think my boss will let me ride it around the office and its
raining out so I don't think I am going out after work for a long ride.
Maybe I will ride the stationary.

I did have lunch with a great friend and ate great sushi so I am not
going to shoot myself. Life is still good. And Rod Stewart is playing
(non stop) on my radio.

Had Lots of different Makizushi and some California rolls at the Sushi
bar. AND THE WASHABI!!!!!!! oooooooo Very hot! Very very hot. Clears
the sinus.

Yes, I think I want to live. Life is grand right now. I am savoring
that.

Maggie

Maggie...High on Sushi

Tom Keats
May 26th 05, 09:00 PM
In article om>,
"Maggie" > writes:

> Yes, I think I want to live. Life is grand right now. I am savoring
> that.

You wear it well.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Maggie
May 26th 05, 10:42 PM
Tom Keats wrote:
> You wear it well.

One of my favorites...I take it as a compliment. ;-)

Remember them basement parties, your brother's karate
the all day rock and roll shows
Them homesick blues and radical views
haven't left a mark on you, you wear it well
A little out of time but I don't mind

Mike Latondresse
May 27th 05, 05:23 AM
(Tom Keats) wrote in
:

> BTW, while I was riding around yesterday, I found a $5 bill.
> Actually, it found me. The wind blew it up the street
> toward me. I had to stop and step on it to keep it from
> blowing past. The funny colours on our Canadian money
> has its advantages, like being able to spot the blue of
> a Canadian $5 from 5 yards away.

**** Tom now you are classed as a pro and you have to start
acting/dressing like Fabs.

Tom Keats
May 27th 05, 05:49 AM
In article >,
Mike Latondresse > writes:
> (Tom Keats) wrote in
> :
>

>> BTW, while I was riding around yesterday, I found a $5 bill.
>> Actually, it found me. The wind blew it up the street
>> toward me. I had to stop and step on it to keep it from
>> blowing past. The funny colours on our Canadian money
>> has its advantages, like being able to spot the blue of
>> a Canadian $5 from 5 yards away.
>>
> **** Tom now you are classed as a pro and you have to start
> acting/dressing like Fabs.

Well, I wasn't doing any great speed. In fact I was just
moseying up to the traffic light on Broadway at Fir,
letting the stale yellow turn red. The trickiest part was
dabbing with my right foot (the bill was tumbleweeding along
in the parking lane,) as I usually dab with my left. If I
was a real pro I would have stopped my front wheel on it,
or scooped it without stopping, a la buskashi rider.

If you're gonna tell me you lost a $5 bill at
Broadway & Fir ... finders keepers ;-)

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Maggie
May 27th 05, 12:35 PM
bentbrian wrote:
> Don't shoot yourself, its too messy! OK now go ride your bike!
>
> bentbrian

I went home last night and I went upstairs to change so I could ride my
bike. I ended up reading som of "The Letters of Abelard and Heloise"
for the 16th time. What does this say about my dedication to riding my
bike?

YET....As it turns out I HAVE to ride my bike to work everyday now. We
are short two cars in the family because of the accidents. I have the
shortest commute.

The universe is telling me to put down The Letters of Abelard and
Heloise, get off my ass, and ride that bike. Maybe the romance I love
to read about is within the bicycle ride as well as within the
classics.

My commute to work this spring and summer will be by bike. Not by
choice but by fate. The universe speaks. ;-)

Maggie (a little bit crazy but that's alright!)

bentbrian
May 27th 05, 12:47 PM
Well Maggie, there you go. You are now officially a bike commuter! Enjoy
your rides!

--
bentbrian

RonSonic
May 27th 05, 02:31 PM
On Thu, 26 May 2005 21:49:16 -0700, (Tom Keats) wrote:

>In article >,
> Mike Latondresse > writes:
>> (Tom Keats) wrote in
>> :
>>

>>> BTW, while I was riding around yesterday, I found a $5 bill.
>>> Actually, it found me. The wind blew it up the street
>>> toward me. I had to stop and step on it to keep it from
>>> blowing past. The funny colours on our Canadian money
>>> has its advantages, like being able to spot the blue of
>>> a Canadian $5 from 5 yards away.
>>>
>> **** Tom now you are classed as a pro and you have to start
>> acting/dressing like Fabs.
>
>Well, I wasn't doing any great speed. In fact I was just
>moseying up to the traffic light on Broadway at Fir,
>letting the stale yellow turn red. The trickiest part was
>dabbing with my right foot (the bill was tumbleweeding along
>in the parking lane,) as I usually dab with my left. If I
>was a real pro I would have stopped my front wheel on it,
>or scooped it without stopping, a la buskashi rider.

Yeah, Fabs could've scooped it without slowing. But then it was only a fiver and
pocketing it would've soiled his jersey. He has no use for things found on the
road.

Ron

Maggie
May 27th 05, 02:38 PM
RonSonic wrote:

> Yeah, Fabs could've scooped it without slowing. But then it was only a fiver and
> pocketing it would've soiled his jersey. He has no use for things found on the
> road.
>
> Ron

What if Pamela Anderson was hitch hiking on the road because her car
broke down.

Mags.

Leo Lichtman
May 27th 05, 05:23 PM
"Maggie" wrote: (clip) My commute to work this spring and summer will be by
bike. Not by choice but by fate. The universe speaks. ;-)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Maggie, what matters is how you interpret the "message." If you get on the
bike each morning and say to yourself, "Damn, why is this happening to me?"
you will hate the ride and the bike. If you say, "Look at me. I'm riding
my bike to work, which is BETTER than walking or driving or riding my
stationary," you'll arrive at work exhilarated, and looking forward to the
ride home. We change our luck by the way we interpret it.

Maggie
May 27th 05, 08:01 PM
Leo Lichtman wrote:
> Maggie, what matters is how you interpret the "message."

I interpret it as a PUSH from the universe to take care of myself so I
can not only "live" to play with my grandchildren someday, but have the
energy and stamina to do it.

The thing I am most looking forward to in life is grandchildren, and I
want to be healthy and vital when they arrive.

I am going to love having kids I can give back to their parents when I
get tired.

As I have said. Grandchildren are the reward for surviving parenthood.

I needed a kick from the universe. ;-) I have no choice but to ride
the bike, and this is a good thing. I think what happened with the
cars will turn out to be a beautiful thing for me. :-)

Maggie.

RonSonic
May 28th 05, 01:23 AM
On 27 May 2005 06:38:52 -0700, "Maggie" > wrote:

>RonSonic wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, Fabs could've scooped it without slowing. But then it was only a fiver and
>> pocketing it would've soiled his jersey. He has no use for things found on the
>> road.
>>
>> Ron
>
>What if Pamela Anderson was hitch hiking on the road because her car
>broke down.

Skank with bolt-ons, maybe Fabs would be impressed.

Myself, I'd give her a lift same as I would you or most any other woman needing
a hand.

Ron
Maryann not Ginger

Bill Sornson
May 28th 05, 01:48 AM
RonSonic wrote:
> On 27 May 2005 06:38:52 -0700, "Maggie" >
> wrote:

>> What if Pamela Anderson was hitch hiking on the road because her car
>> broke down.

> Skank with bolt-ons, maybe Fabs would be impressed.

Didn't she get 'em pulled? (OUT, that is!)

> Maryann not Ginger

Well, DUH!

Leo Lichtman
May 28th 05, 02:02 AM
"RonSonic" clip) Myself, I'd give her a lift same as I would you or most any
other woman needing a hand.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'll see your post, and raise you: "Myself, I'd give her a lift same as I
would you or most any other PERSON needing a hand."

Fabrizio Mazzoleni
May 28th 05, 04:09 AM
"Maggie" > wrote in message >
> What if Pamela Anderson was hitch hiking on the road because her car
> broke down.

I know how to deal with the 'A celebs'.

Mike Latondresse
May 28th 05, 05:30 AM
"Maggie" > wrote in
ups.com:

> RonSonic wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, Fabs could've scooped it without slowing. But then it was
>> only a fiver and pocketing it would've soiled his jersey. He has
>> no use for things found on the road.
>>
>> Ron
>
> What if Pamela Anderson was hitch hiking on the road because her
> car broke down.
>
> Mags.

What kit sis she have on?

RonSonic
May 29th 05, 01:12 AM
On Sat, 28 May 2005 01:02:33 GMT, "Leo Lichtman" >
wrote:

>"RonSonic" clip) Myself, I'd give her a lift same as I would you or most any
>other woman needing a hand.
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>I'll see your post, and raise you: "Myself, I'd give her a lift same as I
>would you or most any other PERSON needing a hand."

****it, guys can go walk.

Ron

pam_in_sc
May 30th 05, 11:18 PM
Maggie wrote:
> Has anyone ever met anyone from this NG face to face? We should all
> have a meet-up. :-)
>
> Maggie

I've ridden with Roger Zoul, in fact I'm the riding partner who wasn't
into chasing tail. Despite that, he's a gentleman.

Pam

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home