Robert J. Matter
May 24th 05, 05:30 AM
http://www.thehawkeye.com/daily/stories/ln1_0518.html

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Bicyclist hit by car, dies at Keokuk hospital

The Hawk Eye

KEOKUK — A 56–year–old man was killed Tuesday morning after the bicycle
he was riding was struck by a car.

Roger C. Lemaster, 3706 Waverly Court, Keokuk, was traveling at 6:41
a.m. east on Carbide Lane near the U.S. 61 bypass outside of Keokuk when
a vehicle driven by Zebulon D. Anderson, 21, of Keokuk struck his bicycle.

Anderson told police he was blinded by the rising sun and could not see
Lemaster riding his bicycle at the edge of the road. Police said
Anderson struck Lemaster's bicycle with the right front of his vehicle.

Lemaster was taken by ambulance to the Keokuk Area Hospital where he was
pronounced dead at 7:24 a.m.

Anderson received a citation for a registration violation.

###

Olebiker
May 24th 05, 12:36 PM
C'mon Bob. Aren't you going to call for a boycott of Iowa?

Dick Durbin

PanFan
May 25th 05, 04:18 AM
"Robert J. Matter" > wrote in
:

> http://www.thehawkeye.com/daily/stories/ln1_0518.html
>
> Wednesday, May 18, 2005
>
> Bicyclist hit by car, dies at Keokuk hospital
>
> The Hawk Eye
>
> KEOKUK — A 56–year–old man was killed Tuesday morning after the
> bicycle he was riding was struck by a car.
>
> Roger C. Lemaster, 3706 Waverly Court, Keokuk, was traveling at 6:41
> a.m. east on Carbide Lane near the U.S. 61 bypass outside of Keokuk
> when a vehicle driven by Zebulon D. Anderson, 21, of Keokuk struck his
> bicycle.
>
> Anderson told police he was blinded by the rising sun and could not
> see Lemaster riding his bicycle at the edge of the road. Police said
> Anderson struck Lemaster's bicycle with the right front of his
> vehicle.

Let's see. I think I know how this works.

If Car B rear-ends Car A, there's a presumption of guilt on Car B. This
is because all drivers have a responsibility to anticipate having to stop
in time to avoid collisions. If Car B says I couldn't see Car A and
couldn't stop on time, that excuse is rejected and Car B is assigned 100%
guilt.

But if Car B hits a cyclist, and says, I didn't see him, then Car B gets
off scot free. No matter that the bicycle and Car A are both vehicles
under the law. They get different treatment.

That's justice in car-loving America for ya.

May 25th 05, 11:20 PM
As an olde Dir. Safety, I can inform everyone that the percentage of
fatals is highest in the hour before and after sunrise/sunset. Physics
to follow...

The iris of the eye is overwhelmed by the brightness of the sky
overhead which constricts the amount of light available to the retina -
just when you need it most.

Live to ride? Don't ride when the sky is brighter than the ground.

Bill
May 26th 05, 05:59 AM
PanFan wrote:

> "Robert J. Matter" > wrote in
> :
>
>> http://www.thehawkeye.com/daily/stories/ln1_0518.html
>>
>> Wednesday, May 18, 2005
>>
>> Bicyclist hit by car, dies at Keokuk hospital
>>
>> The Hawk Eye
>>
>> KEOKUK — A 56–year–old man was killed Tuesday morning after the
>> bicycle he was riding was struck by a car.
>>
>> Roger C. Lemaster, 3706 Waverly Court, Keokuk, was traveling at 6:41
>> a.m. east on Carbide Lane near the U.S. 61 bypass outside of Keokuk
>> when a vehicle driven by Zebulon D. Anderson, 21, of Keokuk struck his
>> bicycle.
>>
>> Anderson told police he was blinded by the rising sun and could not
>> see Lemaster riding his bicycle at the edge of the road. Police said
>> Anderson struck Lemaster's bicycle with the right front of his
>> vehicle.
>
> Let's see. I think I know how this works.
>
> If Car B rear-ends Car A, there's a presumption of guilt on Car B. This
> is because all drivers have a responsibility to anticipate having to stop
> in time to avoid collisions. If Car B says I couldn't see Car A and
> couldn't stop on time, that excuse is rejected and Car B is assigned 100%
> guilt.
>
> But if Car B hits a cyclist, and says, I didn't see him, then Car B gets
> off scot free. No matter that the bicycle and Car A are both vehicles
> under the law. They get different treatment.
>
> That's justice in car-loving America for ya.

There is also the reason I ride on the wrong side when the sun is down low
and in front of me and there is a lot of traffic and no bike lane.
Idiot drivers. The driver was probably just adjusting his radio and had to
come up with an excuse.
Bill Baka

Matt O'Toole
May 26th 05, 08:27 PM
PanFan wrote:

> Let's see. I think I know how this works.
>
> If Car B rear-ends Car A, there's a presumption of guilt on Car B.
> This is because all drivers have a responsibility to anticipate
> having to stop in time to avoid collisions. If Car B says I couldn't
> see Car A and couldn't stop on time, that excuse is rejected and Car
> B is assigned 100% guilt.
>
> But if Car B hits a cyclist, and says, I didn't see him, then Car B
> gets off scot free. No matter that the bicycle and Car A are both
> vehicles under the law. They get different treatment.
>
> That's justice in car-loving America for ya.

That's justice in *backward* America for you.

In relatively civilized Mexico, they throw away the key if you hit someone's
*cow*, at least until you pay for it. If you hit a human, they throw away the
key, period.

What's the LAB doing, if they're not fighting cases like this, and to change the
backward laws and attitudes in states where this kind of thing happens?

Matt O.

jj
May 26th 05, 09:22 PM
On Thu, 26 May 2005 15:27:00 -0400, "Matt O'Toole" >
wrote:

>PanFan wrote:
>
>> Let's see. I think I know how this works.
>>
>> If Car B rear-ends Car A, there's a presumption of guilt on Car B.
>> This is because all drivers have a responsibility to anticipate
>> having to stop in time to avoid collisions. If Car B says I couldn't
>> see Car A and couldn't stop on time, that excuse is rejected and Car
>> B is assigned 100% guilt.
>>
>> But if Car B hits a cyclist, and says, I didn't see him, then Car B
>> gets off scot free. No matter that the bicycle and Car A are both
>> vehicles under the law. They get different treatment.
>>
>> That's justice in car-loving America for ya.
>
>That's justice in *backward* America for you.
>
>In relatively civilized Mexico, they throw away the key if you hit someone's
>*cow*, at least until you pay for it. If you hit a human, they throw away the
>key, period.
>
>What's the LAB doing, if they're not fighting cases like this, and to change the
>backward laws and attitudes in states where this kind of thing happens?
>
>Matt O.

In -America- I believe the rule is to ride the Beemer around and around
over the body at least three times. <g>

jj

LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m
May 26th 05, 09:53 PM
Matt O'Toole asked:

> What's the LAB doing, if they're not fighting cases like
> this, and to change the backward laws and attitudes in
> states where this kind of thing happens?

They're not achieving much success:

http://www.bikeleague.org/mediacenter/news.html#defend

Mike Latondresse
May 27th 05, 05:27 AM
Bill > wrote in
:

> There is also the reason I ride on the wrong side when the sun is
> down low and in front of me and there is a lot of traffic and no
> bike lane. Idiot drivers. The driver was probably just adjusting
> his radio and had to come up with an excuse.
> Bill Baka

Riding or not Bill you always seem to be on the wrong side of
everything. Whot happened to bbaka?

Matt O'Toole
May 27th 05, 07:01 AM
LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m wrote:

> Matt O'Toole asked:
>
>> What's the LAB doing, if they're not fighting cases like
>> this, and to change the backward laws and attitudes in
>> states where this kind of thing happens?
>
> They're not achieving much success:
>
> http://www.bikeleague.org/mediacenter/news.html#defend

Well, at least they're doing something with that case in KY.

Matt O.

Bill Sornson
May 27th 05, 07:07 AM
Matt O'Toole wrote:
> LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m wrote:
>
>> Matt O'Toole asked:
>>
>>> What's the LAB doing, if they're not fighting cases like
>>> this, and to change the backward laws and attitudes in
>>> states where this kind of thing happens?
>>
>> They're not achieving much success:
>>
>> http://www.bikeleague.org/mediacenter/news.html#defend
>
> Well, at least they're doing something with that case in KY.

Anyone else read that as "case /of/ KY" at first?

Um, me neither.

Pppfft.

Bill Baka
May 28th 05, 03:57 AM
Mike Latondresse wrote:
> Bill > wrote in
> :
>

>>There is also the reason I ride on the wrong side when the sun is
>>down low and in front of me and there is a lot of traffic and no
>>bike lane. Idiot drivers. The driver was probably just adjusting
>>his radio and had to come up with an excuse.
>>Bill Baka
>>

> Riding or not Bill you always seem to be on the wrong side of
> everything. Whot happened to bbaka?

I stayed alive and the guy riding into the sunset legally got legally dead.
'nuff said.
Bill Baka

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home