PDA

View Full Version : Leaving for solo Cross Canada ride soon! (need places to crash)

Mike Beauchamp
May 24th 05, 08:08 AM
Hey all,
thanks to all the encouraging words from people in here, I'm going ahead
with my cross canada attempt, despite having both friends bail on me.

I purchased my plane ticket about a month ago to ensure that I would go
ahead with my plan and on June 15th I'll be flying to Vancouver. I will be
mailing a lot of my homemade video gear ahead of time to avoid having to
explain homemade looking things to airport security. I have a cousin in
Vancouver I can stay with to get all of my stuff ready before the ride.

Thanks to the internet, I've been able to find about 8 places to stay so far
along the way and I'm still seeking more. If you're anywhere in Canada, drop
me an e-mail if I can crash at your place or put a tent up in your yard.

I purchased a new bicycle, to replace the one that got stolen a few months
ago:

http://devinci.com/english/amst.html

I've been really happy with it so far, and there's a lot of nice details on
the frame, which is hand made in Canada. Nice touring features like 3 bottle
mounts, nice rack mounts and fender mounts, etc. I've swapped the carbon
fiber fork out for a steel fork for the trip as well, so I can carry front
panniers.

I picked up a tent and a bunch of other stuff from mec.ca and I think I'm
reasonably prepared.

As for the whole plan to make a movie about my trip, I've also completed my
bicycle mount camera system, which I must say is completely awesome. I got
some microphones placed on the handlebars and a nice control box I made to
control the recording of the camera while it is safely tucked away inside a
custom made lexan and metal waterproof box in one of the rear panniers along
with a 12V lead acid battery to power it all :)

I hope I'm remembering everything.. I"ve done what I can to read as many
journals of people that have rode across Canada in an attempt to get ready
for any eventualities. I'm not planning the route before I leave, instead
I'm going to modify the route depending on how I feel or what locals tell
me.

I'm in no rush at all, I dont' have to be back for work or anything. I'm
expecting to be gone for at least 3 months, probably more if I visit with
relatives longer along the way.

Hopefully soon I'll have some proper information (not begging for
sponsorship information) on the website for the trip:

http://mikebeauchamp.com/crosscanada

I got a 512MB memory card for the digital camera, and I'll be uploading
pictures along the way when I can, but it's not a priority. The priority is
to get some really good video footage to compile into a proper movie when I
get back, which hopefully some of you will enjoy!

Anyways, just wanted to say thanks for the inspiration again, and beg for
more places to crash :)

Also, if anyone has any last minute advice, I'm all ears! Gear to bring,
gear to NOT bring. Must see areas, must avoid areas, etc.

Mike
http://mikebeauchamp.com

May 25th 05, 01:31 AM
Mike Beauchamp > wrote:
> Hey all,
> thanks to all the encouraging words from people in here, I'm going ahead
> with my cross canada attempt, despite having both friends bail on me.
<SNIP>

> Thanks to the internet, I've been able to find about 8 places to stay so far
> along the way and I'm still seeking more. If you're anywhere in Canada, drop
> me an e-mail if I can crash at your place or put a tent up in your yard.

The bit of Canada that I have seen (Alberta, mostly) has numerous
roadside campgrounds. They're pleasant, well-maintained, and cheap or
free. Or at least they were a couple of decades ago. Use as needed, and
have a great ride.

Bill

__o | When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair
_`\(,_ | for the future of the human race.
(_)/ (_) | -- H. G. Wells

C.J.Patten
May 25th 05, 01:48 AM
Just had a thought about that: why not get "KOA Campgrounds" to sponsor your
event?

Since you're a filmmaker (me too BTW), if they wouldn't do it just to be
nice, you could offer them some non-exclusive rights to your footage, take
some stuff of "around the campfire" etc. KOA's a great place to stop and
they're springing up all over Canada so you could plan your trip from KOA to
KOA.

They'd probably get promo mileage out of it - maybe make some KOA ads for TV
and print featuring you.

Just a thought! Of course, if you got Travel-Lodge or Best Western to
sponsor you (or HoJo's ;) you'd have a heck of a lot more facility at your
disposal than at the KOA. :)

Email direct if you don't know where to get started with this...

C.

> wrote in message
> Mike Beauchamp > wrote:
>> Hey all,
>> thanks to all the encouraging words from people in here, I'm going ahead
>> with my cross canada attempt, despite having both friends bail on me.
> <SNIP>
>
>> Thanks to the internet, I've been able to find about 8 places to stay so
>> far
>> along the way and I'm still seeking more. If you're anywhere in Canada,
>> drop
>> me an e-mail if I can crash at your place or put a tent up in your yard.
>
> The bit of Canada that I have seen (Alberta, mostly) has numerous
> roadside campgrounds. They're pleasant, well-maintained, and cheap or
> free. Or at least they were a couple of decades ago. Use as needed, and
> have a great ride.
>
> Bill
>
> __o | When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair
> _`\(,_ | for the future of the human race.
> (_)/ (_) | -- H. G. Wells

Mike Beauchamp
May 25th 05, 02:56 AM
Thanks for the campground advice, I think that will be the general routine.
Ride until I find a place near the side of the road to pitch a tent.

Mike
http://mikebeauchamp.com

> wrote in message
> Mike Beauchamp > wrote:
>> Hey all,
>> thanks to all the encouraging words from people in here, I'm going ahead
>> with my cross canada attempt, despite having both friends bail on me.
> <SNIP>
>
>> Thanks to the internet, I've been able to find about 8 places to stay so
>> far
>> along the way and I'm still seeking more. If you're anywhere in Canada,
>> drop
>> me an e-mail if I can crash at your place or put a tent up in your yard.
>
> The bit of Canada that I have seen (Alberta, mostly) has numerous
> roadside campgrounds. They're pleasant, well-maintained, and cheap or
> free. Or at least they were a couple of decades ago. Use as needed, and
> have a great ride.
>
> Bill
>
> __o | When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair
> _`\(,_ | for the future of the human race.
> (_)/ (_) | -- H. G. Wells

Mike Beauchamp
May 25th 05, 03:05 AM
Interesting idea, and I have thought of it before. I just got really
discouraged trying to look for corporate sponsors. I figured the bicycle
company could have at least given me the bicycle at cost, since it would be
featured so much in the movie. Nope...

I'm not that much of a filmmaker, I'm a computer science student that has a
camera. :) But I'd like to think I know what I'm doing.

I'd hate to have a sponsor where I have to make sure I get good footage of
their campgrounds and stuff... but it is interesting to look into.

I wish I was doing this for charity, because I'd do it for Asthma research
(Since I have asthma). I know sponsors would be a lot more likely to give me
free stuff... But, I can't stand charities for the most part... most of the
money ends up going to paperwork and advertising and all that stuff. My mom
suggested that I should do it to collect money to pay of my student loan
($11,000). hehehe..

Mike

"C.J.Patten" > wrote in message
> Just had a thought about that: why not get "KOA Campgrounds" to sponsor
> your event?
>
> Since you're a filmmaker (me too BTW), if they wouldn't do it just to be
> nice, you could offer them some non-exclusive rights to your footage, take
> some stuff of "around the campfire" etc. KOA's a great place to stop and
> they're springing up all over Canada so you could plan your trip from KOA
> to KOA.
>
> They'd probably get promo mileage out of it - maybe make some KOA ads for
> TV and print featuring you.
>
> Just a thought! Of course, if you got Travel-Lodge or Best Western to
> sponsor you (or HoJo's ;) you'd have a heck of a lot more facility at your
> disposal than at the KOA. :)
>
> Email direct if you don't know where to get started with this...
>
> C.
>

> > wrote in message
>> Mike Beauchamp > wrote:
>>> Hey all,
>>> thanks to all the encouraging words from people in here, I'm going ahead
>>> with my cross canada attempt, despite having both friends bail on me.
>> <SNIP>
>>
>>> Thanks to the internet, I've been able to find about 8 places to stay so
>>> far
>>> along the way and I'm still seeking more. If you're anywhere in Canada,
>>> drop
>>> me an e-mail if I can crash at your place or put a tent up in your yard.
>>
>> The bit of Canada that I have seen (Alberta, mostly) has numerous
>> roadside campgrounds. They're pleasant, well-maintained, and cheap or
>> free. Or at least they were a couple of decades ago. Use as needed, and
>> have a great ride.
>>
>> Bill
>>
>> __o | When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair
>> _`\(,_ | for the future of the human race.
>> (_)/ (_) | -- H. G. Wells

May 25th 05, 02:32 PM
Do a google search for warm shower list
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=warm+shower+list&btnG=Google+Search
these are people who will let you stay for a night. Also
http://www.kenkifer.com has lots of good cycling tips.
http://downtheroad.org/ is a couple riding around the world.
http:///www.crazyguyonabike.com has lots of touring stories.

Mike Beauchamp
May 25th 05, 04:17 PM
Thanks,
I've been using couchsurfing.com as well as my own site to find places to
stay thus far, and have 13 places spread pretty nicely across Canada thus
far.

Also thanks for the links, I've been reading ken kifer's site for a year now
and wanted to dedicate this ride to him by reading Thoreau's "Walden" during
the trip. I think it will make good tent-reading :)

Mike
http://mikebeauchamp.com

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Do a google search for warm shower list
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=warm+shower+list&btnG=Google+Search
> these are people who will let you stay for a night. Also
> http://www.kenkifer.com has lots of good cycling tips.
> http://downtheroad.org/ is a couple riding around the world.
> http:///www.crazyguyonabike.com has lots of touring stories.

lokey
May 25th 05, 04:47 PM
"Mike Beauchamp" > wrote in message
> Hey all,
> thanks to all the encouraging words from people in here, I'm going ahead
> with my cross canada attempt, despite having both friends bail on me.

Bon Chance, Msr. Beauchanp.

> Also, if anyone has any last minute advice, I'm all ears! Gear to bring,
> gear to NOT bring. Must see areas, must avoid areas, etc.

I wouldn't want to be responsible for giving bad advice on technical stuff
so my advice: Keep a journal of your experiences.

--
'Keep on riding north and west
Then circle south and east

Google