PDA

View Full Version : Stem Extender

Chas Douglass
May 24th 05, 03:55 PM
I'm fiddling with my new road bike, never having had one before, and now
that I am comfortable with the saddle height, I'd like to try raising the
handlebars just a bit. My understanding is that a "less aggressive"
posture might be more comfortable. Currently the top of the handlebars are
maybe 2" lower than the top of the saddle.

So I bought a "stem extender" and it's pretty clear how it works, however
the current brake cables are not long enough. My bike is Shimano 105
equipped.

Actually, the cables themselves seem to be long enough, however the
"covers" on the cables aren't long enough. These appear to be
manufactured, as they have silver caps on each end. Are these sold in
particular lengths? Or is there some tool for making them at home?

Should I pull the cable all the way from the back brake and install new
covers? Or is rewrapping the handlebars pretty simple?

Should I give up and take it into the LBS and have them do it?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Thanks.

Chas Douglass

May 24th 05, 05:48 PM
Chas Douglass wrote:
> I'm fiddling with my new road bike, never having had one before, and
now
> that I am comfortable with the saddle height, I'd like to try raising
the
> handlebars just a bit. My understanding is that a "less aggressive"
> posture might be more comfortable. Currently the top of the
handlebars are
> maybe 2" lower than the top of the saddle.
>
> So I bought a "stem extender" and it's pretty clear how it works,
however
> the current brake cables are not long enough. My bike is Shimano 105

> equipped.
>
> Actually, the cables themselves seem to be long enough, however the
> "covers" on the cables aren't long enough. These appear to be
> manufactured, as they have silver caps on each end. Are these sold
in
> particular lengths? Or is there some tool for making them at home?
>
> Should I pull the cable all the way from the back brake and install
new
> covers? Or is rewrapping the handlebars pretty simple?
>
> Should I give up and take it into the LBS and have them do it?

The covers are called cable housing, while the cable within is just
cable. The silver caps on each end are called ferrules. Probably the
best way to go is to recable the brakes - a complete set of cables and
housing for a single bike runs $12-20 US and includes all the materials
you need. Both the cables and the cable housing will need to be cut to
length, and the hadlebars have to be unwrapped and rewrapped, although
you probably only have to unwrap the part above the brake/shift levers.
Whether you should do this yourself or have your LBS do it depends on
how much you like fiddling with you bike, and what tools you have or
would like to have.

For good instructions cutting brake cables and cable housing, not to
mention a wealth of other information, see:

http://sheldonbrown.com/cables.html

For cleaning up the cable housing end, I like to use a small bench-top
belt sander, as it is very easy and quick, and, most importantly, I
happen to have one. I wouldn't buy a belt sander for the purpose...

Later,
Mark

rdclark
May 24th 05, 08:19 PM
Chas Douglass wrote:

> So I bought a "stem extender" and it's pretty clear how it works, however
> the current brake cables are not long enough. My bike is Shimano 105
> equipped.

How sure are you that you are happy with the reach (to the bars) at the
new height? Do you feel cramped fore-and aft, or too stretched out?

I ask because reach is also affected by changing the bar height, and
before you lock everything down you may want to consider it. You can't
fix reach issues using an extender, the way you can by replacing the
stem itself. (Within limits, you can change both reach and bar height
at once by replacing the stem with one of a different length and
"rise," which is the angle of the stem relative to the steerer).

Finally, if this is a new bike, is there some reason the shop where you
bought it isn't helping you with these very basic fit issues? Bike
fitting is supposed to be included in the price of the bike.

RichC

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home