PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Schwinn ("World Voyager"): what tools came standard with it?

Michael
May 26th 05, 02:01 PM
Last year I was gifted with a beautiful, barely used Schwinn 10-speed road bike
("World Voyager"; circa 1970's). Last week I rode it over to the former owner's
house to give him a look at the clean-up/fix-up job I'd done and he suddenly
remembered that he still had "the seat bag and tool set" that came with it,
"somewhere out in the garage". We dug around but found only a Shimano crank
puller. No bag; no other tools.

Anyone know what other tools came with this bike? Did the tool set really
include a crank puller?

Bob Wheeler
May 26th 05, 02:22 PM
Michael wrote:
> Last year I was gifted with a beautiful, barely used Schwinn 10-speed road bike
> ("World Voyager"; circa 1970's). Last week I rode it over to the former owner's
> house to give him a look at the clean-up/fix-up job I'd done and he suddenly
> remembered that he still had "the seat bag and tool set" that came with it,
> "somewhere out in the garage". We dug around but found only a Shimano crank
> puller. No bag; no other tools.
>
> Anyone know what other tools came with this bike? Did the tool set really
> include a crank puller?

I have one which I bought in the 70's. My memory may be faulty, but I do
not recall a tool bag. These are fine frames, and if you ever look under
the frame, you will find chrome -- not high quality polished chrome but
chrome nonetheless.

--
Bob Wheeler --- http://www.bobwheeler.com/
ECHIP, Inc. ---

Lars Lehtonen
May 26th 05, 11:55 PM
According to Bob Wheeler >:

>These are fine frames, and if you ever look under
>the frame, you will find chrome -- not high quality polished chrome but
>chrome nonetheless.

I have a ~73 World Voyageur with the first-year Dura Ace cranks. It
came to me in pretty rough shape, so I stripped the sedimentary layers
of spraypaint and Schwinn Orange.

The chrome is mostly really good, except for some hazy areas
near the bottom bracket. Panasonic did a good job, which should be
expected of a bike that sold for $275 31 years ago.

----
Lars Lehtonen

Michael
May 27th 05, 07:03 AM
Lars Lehtonen wrote:

> According to Bob Wheeler >:
>
> >These are fine frames, and if you ever look under
> >the frame, you will find chrome -- not high quality polished chrome but
> >chrome nonetheless.
>
> I have a ~73 World Voyageur with the first-year Dura Ace cranks. It
> came to me in pretty rough shape, so I stripped the sedimentary layers
> of spraypaint and Schwinn Orange.
>
> The chrome is mostly really good, except for some hazy areas
> near the bottom bracket. Panasonic did a good job, which should be
> expected of a bike that sold for $275 31 years ago.
>
> ----
> Lars Lehtonen

Orange? I'd settle for that. Light blue isn't particularly manly.

Stem and BB chrome are cherry; fork ends and chain stay chrome have some light
pitting that cleaned up nciely with brass wool and silicones; parts with lighter
chrome, e.g. cable clamps, are a little rougher, show haze after buffing with
brass wool and silicones.

Mine has the Dura Ace cranks too. I was studying them just this morning and
thinking the design is darned handsome.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home