PDA

View Full Version : Got a bike yesterday

footybet.net
May 27th 05, 03:23 PM
I was given a mountain bike yesterday
when I first got on it, it was like being on a horse, I felt so high
it must be at least 3 years since I last rode a bike

I have been whizzing about today, around town, and I appreciate the
goodness of having some transport rather than walking everywhere

I found a good book in a shop showing cycle rides of approximately 20
miles each in different areas of the UK, it is only =A39.99 and I may
buy it quite soon

I have enquired about a speedometer and will likely have one fitted
next week

I may cycle to Lancaster from Blackburn tomorrow, about 24 miles, and
camp there for the Bank Holiday Weekend

Random
May 27th 05, 03:36 PM
Whereabouts in Blackburn you thinking of going to? I'd have thought you'd
find better camping at Lancaster

There are actually some decent routes in and around Blackburn, and if you
want to take it easy there's always the Leeds/Liverpool canal running though
it.

R (from near Blackburn!)

"footybet.net" > wrote in message
ups.com...
I was given a mountain bike yesterday
when I first got on it, it was like being on a horse, I felt so high
it must be at least 3 years since I last rode a bike

I have been whizzing about today, around town, and I appreciate the
goodness of having some transport rather than walking everywhere

I found a good book in a shop showing cycle rides of approximately 20
miles each in different areas of the UK, it is only £9.99 and I may
buy it quite soon

I have enquired about a speedometer and will likely have one fitted
next week

I may cycle to Lancaster from Blackburn tomorrow, about 24 miles, and
camp there for the Bank Holiday Weekend

footybet.net
May 27th 05, 03:45 PM
I live in Blackburn

I am going to Lancaster FROM my hometown of Blackburn
sorry about the confusion

I have found a campsite in Lancaster but I need to ring them to check
there will be some space

I went to Tenby on the coach last week and really enjoyed the weekend
so at sometime during the summer I will be cycling to Tenby in about 8
stages as it is 220 miles from Blackburn to Tenby, South Wales

Dave Larrington
May 27th 05, 03:52 PM
footybet.net wrote:
> I live in Blackburn
>
> I am going to Lancaster FROM my hometown of Blackburn
> sorry about the confusion
>
> I have found a campsite in Lancaster but I need to ring them to check
> there will be some space

The one next to the Golden Ball pub at Snatchems End, downstream on the
river from Lancaster, seems rarely to be crowded and has the inestimable
advantage of an excellent pub within crawling distance...

The thing about Tony Parsons, though, the defining aspect of his
personality, is that he is a complete ****.

Peter B
May 27th 05, 04:43 PM
"Dave Larrington" > wrote in message

> The one next to the Golden Ball pub at Snatchems End, downstream on the
> river from Lancaster, seems rarely to be crowded and has the inestimable
> advantage of an excellent pub within crawling distance...

Prioritised :-)

Pete

Random
May 27th 05, 05:25 PM
"footybet.net" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I live in Blackburn
>
> I am going to Lancaster FROM my hometown of Blackburn

My fault! Looks like I can't read

Anyway, if you're after somewhere decent to ride from Blackburn then head
over to Whalley, Clitheroe etc.. Some nice rides out that way.

Pete Biggs
May 27th 05, 05:49 PM
footybet.net wrote:
> I was given a mountain bike yesterday

Good timing (as far as the weather goes)!

> when I first got on it, it was like being on a horse, I felt so high
> it must be at least 3 years since I last rode a bike

Mountain bikes have relatively high bottom brackets, placing you higher
up. This doesn't much matter once you get used to it.

Enjoy the cycling.

~PB

Steph Peters
May 27th 05, 10:31 PM
"footybet.net" > of http://groups.google.com wrote:

>I live in Blackburn
>
>I am going to Lancaster FROM my hometown of Blackburn
>sorry about the confusion
>
>I have found a campsite in Lancaster but I need to ring them to check
>there will be some space
>
>I went to Tenby on the coach last week and really enjoyed the weekend
>so at sometime during the summer I will be cycling to Tenby in about 8
>stages as it is 220 miles from Blackburn to Tenby, South Wales

This cycling lark will get its teeth into you, soon that 220 miles will look
like 4 stages, not 8. Just don't be tempted to use the National Cycle
Network along the North Wales coast - there is one very nasty bit that ends
up effectively cycling along a motorway.
--
It's my rule never to lose me temper till it would be detrimental to keep it.
Sean O'Casey, Irish playwright

Zog The Undeniable
May 28th 05, 11:15 AM
footybet.net wrote:
> I was given a mountain bike yesterday
> when I first got on it, it was like being on a horse, I felt so high
> it must be at least 3 years since I last rode a bike
>
> I have been whizzing about today, around town, and I appreciate the
> goodness of having some transport rather than walking everywhere
>
> I found a good book in a shop showing cycle rides of approximately 20
> miles each in different areas of the UK, it is only £9.99 and I may
> buy it quite soon
>
> I have enquired about a speedometer and will likely have one fitted
> next week
>
> I may cycle to Lancaster from Blackburn tomorrow, about 24 miles, and
> camp there for the Bank Holiday Weekend

Enjoy the sore bum ;-) Don't worry, it'll harden off in 2 weeks or so.

Mark Blewett
May 28th 05, 07:03 PM
On Sat, 28 May 2005 11:15:46 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
> wrote:

>footybet.net wrote:
>> I was given a mountain bike yesterday
>> when I first got on it, it was like being on a horse, I felt so high
>> it must be at least 3 years since I last rode a bike
>>
>> I have been whizzing about today, around town, and I appreciate the
>> goodness of having some transport rather than walking everywhere
>>
>> I found a good book in a shop showing cycle rides of approximately 20
>> miles each in different areas of the UK, it is only £9.99 and I may
>> buy it quite soon
>>
>> I have enquired about a speedometer and will likely have one fitted
>> next week
>>
>> I may cycle to Lancaster from Blackburn tomorrow, about 24 miles, and
>> camp there for the Bank Holiday Weekend
>>
>Enjoy the sore bum ;-) Don't worry, it'll harden off in 2 weeks or so.

Any tips?

Its not the bum or the dangly bits.. but the bit inbetween that's
getting me :o(

I've just started cycling after at least a 15 year gap (finally
brought a galaxy)... been taking it easy...

Day 1 (Yesterday).. After unpacking, fittiing and checking everything,
did 5 miles locally (within walking distance in case anything fell
off.. including me!).. up and down a few small "hills".. just to get a
measure of what I could / couldn't do and these new fangled gear
things (they didn't have them in my day etc :o)

Day 2.. after checking (and where nessesary tightening) everything
again, a gentle 10 miles.. on the flat.. felt so easy I could of
cycled all day.. and would of been easy to continue.. apart from a bit
of saddle pain.

Tomorrow.. I'm thinking about cycling to and a lap around Richmond
Park...

Apart from the saddle pain, yes I think I'm hooked!

Regards
Mark

Tony Raven
May 28th 05, 07:51 PM
Mark Blewett wrote:

> Apart from the saddle pain, yes I think I'm hooked!

Contrary to expectation a hard saddle is actually better than a soft
one. You are designed to bear weight on your sit bones and a hard
saddle ensures that happens. With a soft saddle the sit bones tend to
sink into the soft saddle and the weight gets spread onto surrounding
soft tissue which is much more easily bruised. So think about changing
the saddle if its a soft one. Seriously.

--
Tony

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought" Lord
Peter Wimsey (Dorothy L. Sayers)

Zog The Undeniable
May 28th 05, 07:59 PM
Mark Blewett wrote:

> Any tips?
>
> Its not the bum or the dangly bits.. but the bit inbetween that's
> getting me :o(

Yes. Wear proper cycling shorts with nothing else underneath them. It
may seem pervy, but this is how they are designed to be used. You may
want to apply Sudocrem (it's nappy rash cream - supermarkets and
chemists have it) before riding, but this shouldn't be necessary after
the "breaking in" period.

Al C-F
May 28th 05, 08:00 PM
On Sat, 28 May 2005 19:51:26 +0100, Tony Raven >
wrote:

>Contrary to expectation a hard saddle is actually better than a soft
>one. You are designed to bear weight on your sit bones and a hard
>saddle ensures that happens. With a soft saddle the sit bones tend to
>sink into the soft saddle and the weight gets spread onto surrounding
>soft tissue which is much more easily bruised. So think about changing
>the saddle if its a soft one. Seriously.

If it's the same as the standard saddle on my Galaxy (2000 or 2001
vintage) the saddle is reasonably firm. I'd suggest that having not
cycled for quite a few years, Mark just needs to break his body in to
cycling. From memory, this took me about a month - six weeks.

A resonable pair of shorts will work wonders though...

Tony Raven
May 28th 05, 08:04 PM
Al C-F wrote:

> If it's the same as the standard saddle on my Galaxy (2000 or 2001
> vintage) the saddle is reasonably firm. I'd suggest that having not
> cycled for quite a few years, Mark just needs to break his body in to
> cycling. From memory, this took me about a month - six weeks.

However he says its not his bum but the bits in between that are sore so
I am surmising that a soft saddle is a more likely cause. With a hard
saddle it should be the bits of tissue over the sit bones that gets sore.

> A resonable pair of shorts will work wonders though...

Agreed

--
Tony

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought" Lord
Peter Wimsey (Dorothy L. Sayers)

Mark Blewett
May 28th 05, 08:28 PM
On Sat, 28 May 2005 20:04:51 +0100, Tony Raven >
wrote:

>Al C-F wrote:
>>
>> If it's the same as the standard saddle on my Galaxy (2000 or 2001
>> vintage) the saddle is reasonably firm. I'd suggest that having not
>> cycled for quite a few years, Mark just needs to break his body in to
>> cycling. From memory, this took me about a month - six weeks.
>>

>However he says its not his bum but the bits in between that are sore so
>I am surmising that a soft saddle is a more likely cause. With a hard
>saddle it should be the bits of tissue over the sit bones that gets sore.
>
>> A resonable pair of shorts will work wonders though...
>
>Agreed

Thanks Tony and Al for such a quick response!

I'm not familiiar with prior galaxy saddles, its a relatively hard
saddle (ie its not completely solid.. but neither is is sprung).. if
you press down there is about 3-4mm padding before you hit the hard
stuff (.. I guess its a san marco from the label on the side)

It's not a big issue.. but one I had not thought about, and just been
wondering.. I got as far as, whether it was just a case of getting
used to it.. or whether I need to tilt the saddle down a tad.

Shorts wise... I'm using standard linen shorts.. I'm not sure anyone
would what to see me wearing lycra yet :o(

Regards
Mark

Mark Blewett
May 28th 05, 08:43 PM
On Sat, 28 May 2005 19:59:13 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
> wrote:

>Mark Blewett wrote:
>
>> Any tips?
>>
>> Its not the bum or the dangly bits.. but the bit inbetween that's
>> getting me :o(
>
>Yes. Wear proper cycling shorts with nothing else underneath them. It
>may seem pervy, but this is how they are designed to be used. You may
>want to apply Sudocrem (it's nappy rash cream - supermarkets and
>chemists have it) before riding, but this shouldn't be necessary after
>the "breaking in" period.

Thanks Zog.. I think I'll try the cream out tomorrow.

Shorts.. does seem a bit pervy.. but I must admit I did have a very
quick look in the LBS today. At the moment I'm treating cycling as
fun.. so was starting to question myself looking at shorts (seems so
serious.. plus I'm not exactly a pleasent shape!)

However I guess for a long run (and thats my aim.. distance rather
than speed), I guess they become more than necessary.

Having spent so much time thinking about why / what / where of cycling
I'm now on to the "hows".. its a learning experience.. and fun.

Regards
Mark

Judith
May 28th 05, 08:56 PM
On Sat, 28 May 2005 20:43:14 +0100, Mark Blewett
> wrote:

>Shorts.. does seem a bit pervy.. but I must admit I did have a very
>quick look in the LBS today. At the moment I'm treating cycling as
>fun.. so was starting to question myself looking at shorts (seems so
>serious.. plus I'm not exactly a pleasent shape!)

I was getting a sore bum on long rides so I took the advice of the urc
crowd and raised my saddle a bit. I also bought some Lidl cycling
shorts and have found them to be very comfortable. I do feel a bit
silly , especially since my bike is a rickety old thing and not
exactly built for speed, but I enjoy the rides so I may as well be
comfortable.

Judith

JohnB
May 28th 05, 09:08 PM
Tony Raven wrote:

> Contrary to expectation a hard saddle is actually better than a soft
> one. You are designed to bear weight on your sit bones and a hard
> saddle ensures that happens. With a soft saddle the sit bones tend to
> sink into the soft saddle and the weight gets spread onto surrounding
> soft tissue which is much more easily bruised. So think about changing
> the saddle if its a soft one. Seriously.

i took a group of 14 for an introductory bike ride today, including two
who called themselves the tellytubbies.
One had a bike with suspension that made it look as if she was riding a
pogo-stick - the bounce was a good three or four inches on every pedal push.
She was complaining of a very sore rear after just 8 miles, and I'm
pretty certain it was the suspension that aggravated it.

John B

Mark Blewett
May 28th 05, 09:36 PM
On Sat, 28 May 2005 20:56:25 +0100, Judith
> wrote:

>On Sat, 28 May 2005 20:43:14 +0100, Mark Blewett
> wrote:
>
>>Shorts.. does seem a bit pervy.. but I must admit I did have a very
>>quick look in the LBS today. At the moment I'm treating cycling as
>>fun.. so was starting to question myself looking at shorts (seems so
>>serious.. plus I'm not exactly a pleasent shape!)
>
>I was getting a sore bum on long rides so I took the advice of the urc
>crowd and raised my saddle a bit.

From what I have read, I think I have the saddle height right (of
course I may be wrong.. I'm learning!)

At the moment with the peddle at 6 o'clock and sitting on the saddle,
the centre of my knee is inline with the front of the cog.

>I also bought some Lidl cycling
>shorts and have found them to be very comfortable. I do feel a bit
>silly , especially since my bike is a rickety old thing and not
>exactly built for speed, but I enjoy the rides so I may as well be
>comfortable.

Thanks Judith for an encouraging reponse from someone who feels a bit
apprehensive about the whole shorts thing.

Regards
Mark

Tony Raven
May 28th 05, 09:56 PM
Mark Blewett wrote:

> At the moment with the peddle at 6 o'clock and sitting on the saddle,
> the centre of my knee is inline with the front of the cog.

At that pedal position with your heel on the pedal your leg should be
straight. Knee over the pedal is for saddle fore/aft position and is
with the pedal at the 3 o'clock position.

All you need to know about saddle position is in the bible at
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

--
Tony

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought" Lord
Peter Wimsey (Dorothy L. Sayers)

Mark Blewett
May 28th 05, 10:26 PM
On Sat, 28 May 2005 21:56:24 +0100, Tony Raven >
wrote:

>Mark Blewett wrote:
>>
>> At the moment with the peddle at 6 o'clock and sitting on the saddle,
>> the centre of my knee is inline with the front of the cog.
>>

>At that pedal position with your heel on the pedal your leg should be
>straight. Knee over the pedal is for saddle fore/aft position and is
>with the pedal at the 3 o'clock position.
>
>All you need to know about saddle position is in the bible at
>http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

An education... Thanks!!

Regards
Mark

Peter B
May 29th 05, 07:25 AM
"Mark Blewett" > wrote in message

> Thanks Judith for an encouraging reponse from someone who feels a bit
> apprehensive about the whole shorts thing.

*You* may feel self-conscious but when on the bike I doubt anyone else will
notice, and who cares if they do?
If you're bothered about cafe stops and suchlike carry some ordinary shorts
or non-cycling specific tights you can pull over the cycling shorts.

There are padded underpants on the market designed to be worn under ordinary
clothing, how effective these are I don't know as I've no personal
experience and wouldn't bother as they cost as much as padded shorts.
Another alternative is "baggies", ordinary(ish) looking shorts with a
built in liner and seams positioned for least chafe aimed at the mountain
bike market. Two mtb riding pals tried these, one said they're were great
although I can't say I've seen him in them recently and the other hated
them, now consigned to leisure rides with his son.

Pete

Jonathan
May 29th 05, 08:16 AM
I've always found 'Ron Hill Tracksters' absolutely great for cycling in
(although they don't have a padded insert) but they are long pants, very
stretchy and you'll feel very comfy in them and totally covered up so you
don't feel embarrassed. I have got padded lycras, padded baggy shorts but
it's the Ron Hills I find most comfortable overall because I don't like the
feeling the padded shorts give me - it's like I'm wearing a nappy!

I think the Tracksters work best on a leather saddle like a Brooks where
they have no friction on the saddle surface so I would recommend either a
Brooks B17 saddle or a Brooks Conquest if you want springing. Seems to me
that the saddle is often skimped on when you buy a bike, but a good saddle
will transform your cycling experience like no other component.

Enjoy your (excellent) new bike,

Jonathan

"Peter B" > wrote in message

> "Mark Blewett" > wrote in message
>
>> Thanks Judith for an encouraging reponse from someone who feels a bit
>> apprehensive about the whole shorts thing.
>
> *You* may feel self-conscious but when on the bike I doubt anyone else
> will
> notice, and who cares if they do?
> If you're bothered about cafe stops and suchlike carry some ordinary
> shorts
> or non-cycling specific tights you can pull over the cycling shorts.
>
> There are padded underpants on the market designed to be worn under
> ordinary
> clothing, how effective these are I don't know as I've no personal
> experience and wouldn't bother as they cost as much as padded shorts.
> Another alternative is "baggies", ordinary(ish) looking shorts with a
> built in liner and seams positioned for least chafe aimed at the mountain
> bike market. Two mtb riding pals tried these, one said they're were great
> although I can't say I've seen him in them recently and the other hated
> them, now consigned to leisure rides with his son.
>
> Pete

Tony Raven
May 29th 05, 08:39 AM
Peter B wrote:

> *You* may feel self-conscious but when on the bike I doubt anyone else will
> notice, and who cares if they do?
> If you're bothered about cafe stops and suchlike carry some ordinary shorts
> or non-cycling specific tights you can pull over the cycling shorts.

I often wear a pair of ordinary shorts on over by cycling shorts for
cycling. No need to take them on and off for cafes, wear them all the time.

--
Tony

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought" Lord
Peter Wimsey (Dorothy L. Sayers)

Just zis Guy, you know?
May 29th 05, 10:58 AM
On Sat, 28 May 2005 21:36:10 +0100, Mark Blewett
> wrote in message
>:

>Thanks Judith for an encouraging reponse from someone who feels a bit
>apprehensive about the whole shorts thing.

Hey, ride the bike enough and you'll be keen to show off those New!
Improved!! legs ;-)

Seriously, proper bike shorts make a big difference to long-term
comfort. Bibshorts (straps over the shoulders) help to prevent cold
lower back. Oh, and no undies under padded bike shorts. And cheap
ones are sometimes (though not always) shoddy, a good pair is worth
the extra IME, I wear Briko Katana which have an antibacterial insert,
no raised seams etc.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

John Hearns
May 29th 05, 11:22 AM
On Sat, 28 May 2005 20:43:14 +0100, Mark Blewett wrote:

> Shorts.. does seem a bit pervy.. but I must admit I did have a very quick
> look in the LBS today. At the moment I'm treating cycling as fun.. so was
> starting to question myself looking at shorts (seems so serious.. plus I'm
> not exactly a pleasent shape!)

If you don't like the thought of lycra shorts,
ask for shorts liners, and put a pair of your favourite baggy shorts
over the top.

Also ask about baggy cycling shorts - they usually have a chamois pad
in them. I have shorts by Altura and Parrot, both of which I like.

Or go for a heavier pair of Lycra shorts if you can find them.
I bought Nike Spinning Shorts from John Lewis. Made for gym spinning
classes.

Al C-F
May 29th 05, 04:19 PM
On Sat, 28 May 2005 20:28:04 +0100, Mark Blewett
> wrote:

>Thanks Tony and Al for such a quick response!

S'ok.

>I'm not familiiar with prior galaxy saddles, its a relatively hard
>saddle (ie its not completely solid.. but neither is is sprung).. if
>you press down there is about 3-4mm padding before you hit the hard
>stuff (.. I guess its a san marco from the label on the side)

Probably the same as mine then.

>It's not a big issue.. but one I had not thought about, and just been
>wondering.. I got as far as, whether it was just a case of getting
>used to it.. or whether I need to tilt the saddle down a tad.

It should be more or less horizontal, but as we all vary in shape and
posture, feel free to play until it's better.

>Shorts wise... I'm using standard linen shorts.. I'm not sure anyone
>would what to see me wearing lycra yet :o(

Bad. So very bad. They hold moisture and will cause chaffing. Try
padded lycra or even some of those padded undies under more 'decent'
shorts.

Steph Peters
May 29th 05, 07:32 PM
Mark Blewett > of wrote:
>Shorts wise... I'm using standard linen shorts.. I'm not sure anyone
>would what to see me wearing lycra yet :o(

Standard shorts have a seam down the middle both front and back, which meet
the inside leg seams in a 4 way junction exactly in the area where you are
getting pain. Those extra layers of fabric rub and cause soreness. Get
some padded shorts without a centre seam - these are often sold as 'women
specific' but there's no reason why men shouldn't wear them too.

And if I can inflict 17 stone of 5 foot me in lycra shorts on the world, you
can wear it too :-) The cotton lycra which is not shiny is a bit less eye
catching.
--
That government is best which governs least.
Thomas Paine
Steph Peters delete invalid from
Tatting, lace & stitching page <http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/index.htm>

Mark Blewett
May 30th 05, 08:10 PM
On Sat, 28 May 2005 19:03:13 +0100, Mark Blewett
> wrote:

>On Sat, 28 May 2005 11:15:46 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
> wrote:

<snip>

>>> I may cycle to Lancaster from Blackburn tomorrow, about 24 miles, and
>>> camp there for the Bank Holiday Weekend
>>>
>>Enjoy the sore bum ;-) Don't worry, it'll harden off in 2 weeks or so.
>
>Any tips?
>
>Its not the bum or the dangly bits.. but the bit inbetween that's
>getting me :o(
>
>I've just started cycling after at least a 15 year gap (finally
>brought a galaxy)... been taking it easy...
>
>Day 1 (Yesterday).. After unpacking, fittiing and checking everything,
>did 5 miles locally (within walking distance in case anything fell
>off.. including me!).. up and down a few small "hills".. just to get a
>measure of what I could / couldn't do and these new fangled gear
>things (they didn't have them in my day etc :o)
>
>Day 2.. after checking (and where nessesary tightening) everything
>again, a gentle 10 miles.. on the flat.. felt so easy I could of
>cycled all day.. and would of been easy to continue.. apart from a bit
>of saddle pain.
>
>Tomorrow.. I'm thinking about cycling to and a lap around Richmond
>Park...
>
>Apart from the saddle pain, yes I think I'm hooked!

Sorry for following up my own post.. I thought it easier to post once,
rather than follow up every reply.

Thanks to everyone.. so much useful and friendly information, all
which is being taken on board.

An update..

Before I went out on Day 3 (Sunday) around Richmond Park;

- Raised the saddle about 3/4".. (Thanks Tony for the link to
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html .. answered all the
questions.. including the history of how high a saddle should be which
was interesting!)

- Applied some cream (I didn't have the nappy rash cream in the
house.. but had something similar).

I managed a (clockwise) lap.. (apart from the big hill.. got halfway
up and my thighs gave way). The saddle pain was less that the previous
couple of days... perhaps I'm getting used to the saddle a bit. But I
was still aware that my leg wasn't completely straight.

Today (Day 4).. raised the saddle another 3/4".. when I got on I felt
like I was looking down from the Gods! Also I adjusted the Derailleur,
so wasn't going to far from home, so just pottered around the local
roads for a hour. Felt so much better, easier and more comfortable.

Next weekend, I'm off to the LBS to buy some proper shorts and a
saddle bag to carry the essential tools.

Thanks
Mark

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home