PDA

View Full Version : Hope minis - leaking from top caps

wheeler
May 27th 05, 04:48 PM
I've had a problem for a while with my minis - they've been leaking from
under the reservoir top caps. I've replaced the diaphragms and the easily
rounded M3 bolts, which seemed to cure the front brake, but not the rear.
By the end of a day's riding I'd lost the rear brake completely, and ended
up having to do a bleed/refill in the Coed y Brenin car park, not fun!

Has anyone else had this problem? One concern I have is that I've tightened
the cap too much and distorted it (they only need to be nipped tight
according to Hope, who didn't have any suggestions apart from 'replace the
diaphragms'). But the caps *look* ok, and the front seems to be alright now.

Any Hope guru advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers
Ben

--
Spam trap: Replace spamisdoomed with ben

Treefrog
May 27th 05, 05:32 PM
"wheeler" > wrote in message
> I've had a problem for a while with my minis - they've been leaking from
> under the reservoir top caps. I've replaced the diaphragms and the easily
> rounded M3 bolts, which seemed to cure the front brake, but not the rear.
> By the end of a day's riding I'd lost the rear brake completely, and ended
> up having to do a bleed/refill in the Coed y Brenin car park, not fun!
>
> Has anyone else had this problem? One concern I have is that I've
tightened
> the cap too much and distorted it (they only need to be nipped tight
> according to Hope, who didn't have any suggestions apart from 'replace the
> diaphragms'). But the caps *look* ok, and the front seems to be alright
now.

> Any Hope guru advice would be much appreciated!

Check for scratches or scores on the cap, however, it's likely that you've
knackered the diaphram by over tightening... not that I've ever done that of
course ;o(

wheeler
May 27th 05, 05:53 PM
Treefrog wrote:
> "wheeler" > wrote in message
>> I've had a problem for a while with my minis - they've been leaking
>> from under the reservoir top caps. I've replaced the diaphragms and
>> the easily rounded M3 bolts, which seemed to cure the front brake,
>> but not the rear. By the end of a day's riding I'd lost the rear
>> brake completely, and ended up having to do a bleed/refill in the
>> Coed y Brenin car park, not fun!
>>
>> Has anyone else had this problem? One concern I have is that I've
>> tightened the cap too much and distorted it (they only need to be
>> nipped tight according to Hope, who didn't have any suggestions
>> apart from 'replace the diaphragms'). But the caps *look* ok, and
>> the front seems to be alright now.
>>
>> Any Hope guru advice would be much appreciated!
>
> Check for scratches or scores on the cap, however, it's likely that
> you've knackered the diaphram by over tightening... not that I've
> ever done that of course ;o(

doh!
Thanks...better get some more diaphragms I suppose. At least they're cheap!

Paul - xxx
May 28th 05, 08:28 AM
Treefrog came up with the following;:
> "wheeler" > wrote in message
>> I've had a problem for a while with my minis - they've been leaking from
>> under the reservoir top caps. I've replaced the diaphragms and the easily
>> rounded M3 bolts, which seemed to cure the front brake, but not the rear.
>> By the end of a day's riding I'd lost the rear brake completely, and
>> ended up having to do a bleed/refill in the Coed y Brenin car park, not
>> fun!
>>
>> Has anyone else had this problem? One concern I have is that I've
> tightened
>> the cap too much and distorted it (they only need to be nipped tight
>> according to Hope, who didn't have any suggestions apart from 'replace
>> the diaphragms'). But the caps *look* ok, and the front seems to be
>> alright
> now.
>>
>> Any Hope guru advice would be much appreciated!
>
> Check for scratches or scores on the cap, however, it's likely that you've
> knackered the diaphram by over tightening... not that I've ever done that
> of course ;o(

What he said.

They're not a 'pressurised' system, so the diaphragm really is only a seal,
it's not a pressure seal, and as such only needs a light torque on the
screws to clamp it down enough for a seal to be made.

Providing the screws and hole threads aren't nackered, finger tighten until
you can't, then use a screwdriver to tighten each scre in turn another
quarter turn at a time, evenly, until they're tight. It is important to
tighten the tops evenly to stop any potential distortion.

Have fun.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

LSMike
May 28th 05, 10:08 AM
Paul - xxx wrote:
> Treefrog came up with the following;:
>> "wheeler" > wrote in message
>>> I've had a problem for a while with my minis - they've been leaking
>>> from under the reservoir top caps. I've replaced the diaphragms and
>>> the easily rounded M3 bolts, which seemed to cure the front brake,
>>> but not the rear. By the end of a day's riding I'd lost the rear
>>> brake completely, and ended up having to do a bleed/refill in the
>>> Coed y Brenin car park, not fun!
>>>
>>> Has anyone else had this problem? One concern I have is that I've
>>> tightened the cap too much and distorted it (they only need to be
>>> nipped tight according to Hope, who didn't have any suggestions
>>> apart from 'replace the diaphragms'). But the caps *look* ok, and
>>> the front seems to be alright
>> now.
>>>
>>> Any Hope guru advice would be much appreciated!
>>
>> Check for scratches or scores on the cap, however, it's likely that
>> you've knackered the diaphram by over tightening... not that I've
>> ever done that of course ;o(
>
> What he said.
>
> They're not a 'pressurised' system, so the diaphragm really is only a
> seal, it's not a pressure seal, and as such only needs a light torque
> on the screws to clamp it down enough for a seal to be made.
>
> Providing the screws and hole threads aren't nackered, finger tighten
> until you can't, then use a screwdriver to tighten each scre in turn
> another quarter turn at a time, evenly, until they're tight. It is
> important to tighten the tops evenly to stop any potential distortion.
>
> Have fun.

"Easily rounded M3" bolts is a key pointer to the problem, IMO.

Paul - xxx
May 28th 05, 10:55 AM
LSMike came up with the following;:
> Paul - xxx wrote:
>> Treefrog came up with the following;:

>>> now.

>>> Check for scratches or scores on the cap, however, it's likely that
>>> you've knackered the diaphram by over tightening... not that I've
>>> ever done that of course ;o(
>>
>> What he said.
>>
>> They're not a 'pressurised' system, so the diaphragm really is only a
>> seal, it's not a pressure seal, and as such only needs a light torque
>> on the screws to clamp it down enough for a seal to be made.
>>
>> Providing the screws and hole threads aren't nackered, finger tighten
>> until you can't, then use a screwdriver to tighten each scre in turn
>> another quarter turn at a time, evenly, until they're tight. It is
>> important to tighten the tops evenly to stop any potential distortion.
>>
>> Have fun.
>
> "Easily rounded M3" bolts is a key pointer to the problem, IMO.

Ho yuss. If they've been rounded, then they've been tightened way too far,
hence my suggestion to tighten a little at a time on each screw/bolt.

:)

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

wheeler
May 31st 05, 09:13 AM
Paul - xxx wrote:
> LSMike came up with the following;:
>> Paul - xxx wrote:
>>> Treefrog came up with the following;:

>>> What he said.
>>>
>>> They're not a 'pressurised' system, so the diaphragm really is only
>>> a seal, it's not a pressure seal, and as such only needs a light
>>> torque on the screws to clamp it down enough for a seal to be made.
>>>
>>> Providing the screws and hole threads aren't nackered, finger
>>> tighten until you can't, then use a screwdriver to tighten each
>>> scre in turn another quarter turn at a time, evenly, until they're
>>> tight. It is important to tighten the tops evenly to stop any
>>> potential distortion. Have fun.
>>
>> "Easily rounded M3" bolts is a key pointer to the problem, IMO.
>
> Ho yuss. If they've been rounded, then they've been tightened way
> too far, hence my suggestion to tighten a little at a time on each
> screw/bolt.
> :)

ah, thanks. Yup, I guess rounding those bolts off I really was a little bit
overenthusiastic with the allen key, and ignorant of how the thing works.
Still, I quite like the industrial look of the chunky slot head bolts I've
replaced them with :-)

Simon Brooke
May 31st 05, 11:41 AM
in message >, wheeler
') wrote:

> Paul - xxx wrote:

>> Ho yuss. If they've been rounded, then they've been tightened way
>> too far, hence my suggestion to tighten a little at a time on each
>> screw/bolt.
>> :)
>
> ah, thanks. Yup, I guess rounding those bolts off I really was a
> little bit overenthusiastic with the allen key, and ignorant of how
> the thing works. Still, I quite like the industrial look of the chunky
> slot head bolts I've replaced them with :-)

So now you can torque them up until you strip the threads right out of
the casting...

;; IE 3 is dead, but Netscape 4 still shambles about the earth,
;; wreaking a horrific vengeance upon the living
;; anonymous

wheeler
May 31st 05, 12:17 PM
Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message >, wheeler
> ') wrote:
>
>> Paul - xxx wrote:
>
>>> Ho yuss. If they've been rounded, then they've been tightened way
>>> too far, hence my suggestion to tighten a little at a time on each
>>> screw/bolt.
>>> :)
>>
>> ah, thanks. Yup, I guess rounding those bolts off I really was a
>> little bit overenthusiastic with the allen key, and ignorant of how
>> the thing works. Still, I quite like the industrial look of the
>> chunky slot head bolts I've replaced them with :-)
>
> So now you can torque them up until you strip the threads right out of
> the casting...

Cool! Watch out for posts later this week along the lines of
"Recommendations wanted for Hope mini replacements for brute force fan".
:-)

Paul - xxx
May 31st 05, 12:55 PM
wheeler came up with the following;:
> Simon Brooke wrote:
>> in message >, wheeler
>> ') wrote:

>>> ah, thanks. Yup, I guess rounding those bolts off I really was a
>>> little bit overenthusiastic with the allen key, and ignorant of how
>>> the thing works. Still, I quite like the industrial look of the
>>> chunky slot head bolts I've replaced them with :-)
>>
>> So now you can torque them up until you strip the threads right out of
>> the casting...
>
> Cool! Watch out for posts later this week along the lines of
> "Recommendations wanted for Hope mini replacements for brute force fan".
> :-)

Belzona ...

--
Paul ...