PDA

View Full Version : Old man on Bike

Claire Petersky
May 28th 05, 12:14 AM
So, while I was waiting for my green light and a chance to turn left, I see
this old guy coming the opposite way turn right, on to the road I'm headed
for. He's wearing an ancient helmet and a white t-shirt. He's got snow-white
hair, and a snow white beard, sorta like Santa Claus and he's maybe even as
old as Denver Fox, or Leo L., or one of those guys.

I think, as soon as the light turns green, I'm gonna catch that guy, no
problem. The light turns green, and I take off after him. Problem is, it
takes both all of my focus and all of my effort to try to close the gap
between us. As soon as I slack on either my focus or my pedalling, the gap
starts to widen again.

Finally, we get to the big downslope. I figure I'll catch him there, because
older folks usually aren't that aggressive going down hills. Damn, he's
still ahead of me! Only when a big truck pulls a doofus manoeuver, and
traffic is stopped in all directions do I finally manage to catch up to him.
While we're waiting for the truck to finish backing, I say to him, "You're
really fast for an old guy! I've been trying to catch up to you -- and for
quite a while. If it hadn't been for this truck, I never would have been
able to do so!" He seems to regard this comment as amusing. I make a
flattering remark about his legs. The road clears, and we both take off. At
the bottom I turn right, and he goes straight, and that's the end of my
tale.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:
http://bookcrossing.com/referr*al/Cpetersky

Bill Baka
May 28th 05, 12:27 AM
Claire Petersky wrote:
> So, while I was waiting for my green light and a chance to turn left, I see
> this old guy coming the opposite way turn right, on to the road I'm headed
> for. He's wearing an ancient helmet and a white t-shirt. He's got snow-white
> hair, and a snow white beard, sorta like Santa Claus and he's maybe even as
> old as Denver Fox, or Leo L., or one of those guys.
>
> I think, as soon as the light turns green, I'm gonna catch that guy, no
> problem. The light turns green, and I take off after him. Problem is, it
> takes both all of my focus and all of my effort to try to close the gap
> between us. As soon as I slack on either my focus or my pedalling, the gap
> starts to widen again.
>
> Finally, we get to the big downslope. I figure I'll catch him there, because
> older folks usually aren't that aggressive going down hills. Damn, he's
> still ahead of me! Only when a big truck pulls a doofus manoeuver, and
> traffic is stopped in all directions do I finally manage to catch up to him.
> While we're waiting for the truck to finish backing, I say to him, "You're
> really fast for an old guy! I've been trying to catch up to you -- and for
> quite a while. If it hadn't been for this truck, I never would have been
> able to do so!" He seems to regard this comment as amusing. I make a
> flattering remark about his legs. The road clears, and we both take off. At
> the bottom I turn right, and he goes straight, and that's the end of my
> tale.
>
> --
> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Petersky
> Personal page: http://www.geocities.com/cpetersky/
> See the books I've set free at:
> http://bookcrossing.com/referr*al/Cpetersky

Only proving that you never know who or whom you are messing with. Some
old guys may just be retired professionals or have been bicycling for
most of their lives. I probably wouldn't even own a car if not for the
need to carry large things once in a while or go to work out of town on
occasion, 50 miles or more out of town for me. I hate paying for gas,
insurance, tires, and all that other car related stuff.
Bill Baka

Pat
May 28th 05, 12:32 AM
"Claire Petersky" : So, while I was waiting for my green light and a chance
to turn left, I see
: this old guy coming the opposite way turn right, on to the road I'm headed
: for. He's wearing an ancient helmet and a white t-shirt. He's got
snow-white
: hair, and a snow white beard, sorta like Santa Claus and he's maybe even
as
: old as Denver Fox, or Leo L., or one of those guys.

Claire, what do you consider old? I remember when my son was 16 and thought
that 25 was "old". Now that he's 28, he thinks 40 is "old". I have a
Schwinn I bought in 1984 and he told me today that it was "old timey". Me?
I think 70+ is "older", and 80+ is "old".

Pat in TX

May 28th 05, 12:51 AM
Claire Petersky writes:

> So, while I was waiting for my green light and a chance to turn
> left, I see this old guy coming the opposite way turn right, on to
> the road I'm headed for. He's wearing an ancient helmet and a white
> t-shirt. He's got snow-white hair, and a snow white beard, sorta
> like Santa Claus and he's maybe even as old as Denver Fox, or Leo
> L., or one of those guys.

> I think, as soon as the light turns green, I'm gonna catch that guy,
> no problem. The light turns green, and I take off after him. Problem
> is, it takes both all of my focus and all of my effort to try to
> close the gap between us. As soon as I slack on either my focus or
> my pedalling, the gap starts to widen again.

> Finally, we get to the big downslope. I figure I'll catch him there,
> because older folks usually aren't that aggressive going down
> hills. Damn, he's still ahead of me! Only when a big truck pulls a
> doofus manoeuver, and traffic is stopped in all directions do I
> finally manage to catch up to him. While we're waiting for the
> truck to finish backing, I say to him, "You're really fast for an
> old guy! I've been trying to catch up to you -- and for quite a
> while. If it hadn't been for this truck, I never would have been
> able to do so!" He seems to regard this comment as amusing. I make a
> flattering remark about his legs. The road clears, and we both take
> off. At the bottom I turn right, and he goes straight, and that's
> the end of my tale.

....and I thought shaggy dog stories were long gone.

GaryG
May 28th 05, 01:54 AM
"Pat" > wrote in message

> "Claire Petersky" : So, while I was waiting for my green light and a
chance
> to turn left, I see
> : this old guy coming the opposite way turn right, on to the road I'm
headed
> : for. He's wearing an ancient helmet and a white t-shirt. He's got
> snow-white
> : hair, and a snow white beard, sorta like Santa Claus and he's maybe even
> as
> : old as Denver Fox, or Leo L., or one of those guys.
>

> Claire, what do you consider old? I remember when my son was 16 and
thought
> that 25 was "old". Now that he's 28, he thinks 40 is "old". I have a
> Schwinn I bought in 1984 and he told me today that it was "old timey".
Me?
> I think 70+ is "older", and 80+ is "old".
>
> Pat in TX

To calculate "old" is really quite simple - you take your current age in
years, and add 10.

--
~_-*
....G/ \G

lokey
May 28th 05, 01:59 AM
"GaryG" > wrote in message
> "Pat" > wrote in message

>> Claire, what do you consider old? I remember when my son was 16 and
> thought
>> that 25 was "old". Now that he's 28, he thinks 40 is "old". I have a
>> Schwinn I bought in 1984 and he told me today that it was "old timey".
> Me?
>> I think 70+ is "older", and 80+ is "old".
>>
>> Pat in TX
>>

> To calculate "old" is really quite simple - you take your current age in
> years, and add 10.

I wonder if that factor changes with age:

i.e.

To a 10 y.o 10 + 5 is old.
To a 30 y.o. 30+10 is old.
To a 50 y.o. 50+15 is old.

A 70 y.o. is old no matter what.

:)

Claire Petersky
May 28th 05, 02:10 AM
Pat wrote in message >...

>Claire, what do you consider old?

I'm just razzing Denver and Leo, especially Denver because he gets so worked
up when anyone uses the term "elderly" to refer to someone his age. And I
thought, since Maggie wrote a Young Woman on Bike post, I'd write an, "Old
Man On Bike" counterpart.

What age do I consider old in a cyclist? It's my experience that many male
cyclists just a bit older than me, maybe 45 or so on up to possibly 60,
while knowledgeable, can be very condescending. "Little lady, let me show
you how it's done". Even worse, they often know a lot more than me, to boot,
so there's some value in listening to and learning from them, as opposed to
knocking them down for being arrogant and putting 50 tire tracks on their
backs, as tempting as that might be. By the times these guys get old,
though, past that age of superiority, they mellow out and turn nice. I'd
much rather ride with an old guy, under these circumstances, than someone a
bit younger. He'll be just as experienced and knowledgeable as the younger
guy, but he won't have the need to lord it over me.

I guess by that standard, some guys learn that equanimity early, and are
"old" when they're my age. And some guys never grow up!

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:
http://bookcrossing.com/referr*al/Cpetersky

Leo Lichtman
May 28th 05, 02:55 AM
"lokey" wrote: (clip) A 70 y.o. is old no matter what.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
No way! Someone ELSE 70 y.o. is old. UNLESS he/she can outride me.

Leo Lichtman
May 28th 05, 03:01 AM
"Claire Petersky" wrote: I'm just razzing Denver and Leo, especially
Denver because he gets so worked up when anyone uses the term "elderly" to
refer to someone his age. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm not crazy about the term "elderly" either. Somehow, that term carries
the connotation of being bent over, slightly addled and unattractive. I am
the opposite of all of those. I don't know about Denver.

Cathy Kearns
May 28th 05, 03:33 AM
"lokey" > wrote in message

> A 70 y.o. is old no matter what.
>
> :)

One of my tennis partners is over 70. We go out and whup on those pony tail
girls in matches. She's not old. :-)

Mike Beauchamp
May 28th 05, 05:21 AM
Great story..
I always try to give the old people on bicycles a friendly wave or smile.
I'd like to hope when I get old, I'm still able to ride my bike... and
seeing some young guy showin' me respect would make me think the world isn't
infact filled with assholes.

Mike

"Claire Petersky" > wrote in message
> So, while I was waiting for my green light and a chance to turn left, I
> see
> this old guy coming the opposite way turn right, on to the road I'm headed
> for. He's wearing an ancient helmet and a white t-shirt. He's got
> snow-white
> hair, and a snow white beard, sorta like Santa Claus and he's maybe even
> as
> old as Denver Fox, or Leo L., or one of those guys.
>
> I think, as soon as the light turns green, I'm gonna catch that guy, no
> problem. The light turns green, and I take off after him. Problem is, it
> takes both all of my focus and all of my effort to try to close the gap
> between us. As soon as I slack on either my focus or my pedalling, the gap
> starts to widen again.
>
> Finally, we get to the big downslope. I figure I'll catch him there,
> because
> older folks usually aren't that aggressive going down hills. Damn, he's
> still ahead of me! Only when a big truck pulls a doofus manoeuver, and
> traffic is stopped in all directions do I finally manage to catch up to
> him.
> While we're waiting for the truck to finish backing, I say to him, "You're
> really fast for an old guy! I've been trying to catch up to you -- and for
> quite a while. If it hadn't been for this truck, I never would have been
> able to do so!" He seems to regard this comment as amusing. I make a
> flattering remark about his legs. The road clears, and we both take off.
> At
> the bottom I turn right, and he goes straight, and that's the end of my
> tale.
>
> --
> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Petersky
> Personal page: http://www.geocities.com/cpetersky/
> See the books I've set free at:
> http://bookcrossing.com/referr*al/Cpetersky

Mike Latondresse
May 28th 05, 05:51 AM
"Claire Petersky" > wrote in
:

> So, while I was waiting for my green light and a chance to turn
> left, I see this old guy coming the opposite way turn right, on to
> the road I'm headed for.

Gee Claire was that you following me?

lokey
May 28th 05, 01:43 PM
"Mike Latondresse" > wrote in message
> "Claire Petersky" > wrote in
> :
>
>> So, while I was waiting for my green light and a chance to turn
>> left, I see this old guy coming the opposite way turn right, on to
>> the road I'm headed for.
>
> Gee Claire was that you following me?

I'm just wondering if there was some young 15 year old whipper-snapper
following Claire thinking: 'She really rides fast for an old lady'.

:)

--
'You don't have to look good,
you just have to look good enough.'

Claire Petersky
May 28th 05, 02:19 PM
Leo Lichtman wrote in message ...

>"Claire Petersky" wrote: I'm just razzing Denver and Leo, especially
>Denver because he gets so worked up when anyone uses the term "elderly" to
>refer to someone his age. (clip)
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>I'm not crazy about the term "elderly" either. Somehow, that term carries
>the connotation of being bent over, slightly addled and unattractive. I am
>the opposite of all of those. I don't know about Denver.

He's bent over probably only when he gets down in the drops.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:
http://bookcrossing.com/referr*al/Cpetersky

Maggie
May 28th 05, 02:28 PM
Mike Beauchamp wrote:

> seeing some young guy showin' me respect would make me think the world isn't
> in fact filled with assholes.
>
> Mike

Don't count on it. ;-)

Maggie.

Jim Smith
May 28th 05, 08:12 PM
> writes:

> Had the gentleman exhibited the same manners as yourself, he would have pointed
> out, "You are quite fast yourself, for such a fat broad".

I don't know if Claire is fat or not, but I was thinking the same thing.

May 28th 05, 08:23 PM
Mike Beauchamp wrote:
> Great story..
> I always try to give the old people on bicycles a friendly wave or smile.

To splice threads: I try to give the young women on bicycles a
friendly wave or smile, too.

And pretty much everyone else on bikes, too. That includes the guy
with the wire basket full of scavenged aluminum cans.

- Frank Krygowski

Pat
May 28th 05, 09:58 PM
> wrote in message
: Had the gentleman exhibited the same manners as yourself, he would have
pointed
: out, "You are quite fast yourself, for such a fat broad".

Let's see, she used the word "guy" when speaking to the man and she did not
address his body weight. So, you are saying the equivalent female usage of
"guy" would be "broad"? I don't think so. IIRC, it would be "gal" and that
is a lot less inflamatory than what Claire used. You are showing some
misogynistic tendencies there, Jobst. Your sentence is derogatory and
intended to insult. Her sentence wasn't.

Pat in TX
:
:

Rich
May 28th 05, 11:07 PM
Pat wrote:
> > wrote in message
> : Had the gentleman exhibited the same manners as yourself, he would have
> pointed
> : out, "You are quite fast yourself, for such a fat broad".
>
> Let's see, she used the word "guy" when speaking to the man and she did not
> address his body weight. So, you are saying the equivalent female usage of
> "guy" would be "broad"?

You conveniently forgot about the "old" part. She referred to him not
as "guy", but as "old guy", which some might have taken as an insult,
given old seems to be in the eye of the beholder.

Rich

Peter Cole
May 28th 05, 11:10 PM
Pat wrote:
> > wrote in message
> : Had the gentleman exhibited the same manners as yourself, he would have
> pointed
> : out, "You are quite fast yourself, for such a fat broad".
>
> Let's see, she used the word "guy" when speaking to the man and she did not
> address his body weight. So, you are saying the equivalent female usage of
> "guy" would be "broad"? I don't think so. IIRC, it would be "gal" and that
> is a lot less inflamatory than what Claire used. You are showing some
> misogynistic tendencies there, Jobst. Your sentence is derogatory and
> intended to insult.

Of course, that was the whole point.

> Her sentence wasn't.

Of course it was. If she doesn't realize that, she's both rude and
insensitive. Jobst was just demonstrating equivalent rudeness -- as was
his stated objective.

What's the difference between sex-ism and age-ism?

May 29th 05, 12:08 AM
Jim Smith > writes:

> > writes:

>> Had the gentleman exhibited the same manners as yourself, he would
>> have pointed out, "You are quite fast yourself, for such a fat
>> broad".

> I don't know if Claire is fat or not, but I was thinking the same thing.

If you'll review that source of the above statement that appears as
attributed to me, you'll find it was offered by an anonymous sniper
who had nothing good to say, not even a phony name or address.

Jim Smith
May 29th 05, 12:37 AM
writes:

> Jim Smith > writes:
>
>> > writes:
>
>>> Had the gentleman exhibited the same manners as yourself, he would
>>> have pointed out, "You are quite fast yourself, for such a fat
>>> broad".
>
>> I don't know if Claire is fat or not, but I was thinking the same thing.
>
> If you'll review that source of the above statement that appears as
> attributed to me, you'll find it was offered by an anonymous sniper
> who had nothing good to say, not even a phony name or address.

Weird. Anyways, my first imipression was that the "pretty fast for an
old guy" remark was a bit rude.

Jeff Starr
May 29th 05, 01:19 AM
On Sat, 28 May 2005 18:10:16 -0400, Peter Cole
> wrote:

>Of course it was. If she doesn't realize that, she's both rude and
>insensitive. Jobst was just demonstrating equivalent rudeness -- as was
>his stated objective.
>
>What's the difference between sex-ism and age-ism?

Rude and insensitive, hmm, who does that remind me of???

Anyway, seeing as none of us were there, how do we know how she said,
what she said? We don't! I know people who can say some rather
provocative things, but they do it in such a way, that it isn't
insulting. Usually, because it wasn't meant to be insulting.

Actually, I'm not sure this even happened, I think it was just a
fictional account, inspired by Maggie's "young woman" post.

In the year and half, or so, that I have been reading this newsgroup,
I have never found Claire to be rude and/or insensitive.

Jobst recently posted, pointing out that he did not write the "fat
broad" post.

Finally, you really see no difference in "old guy" and "fat broad"?
They aren't equivalent rudeness' in my opinion. I get called old once
in a while, it doesn't bother me. But call me fat, when I was fat, and
you would have hurt my feelings.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Rich
May 29th 05, 01:38 AM
Jeff Starr wrote:

> Actually, I'm not sure this even happened, I think it was just a
> fictional account, inspired by Maggie's "young woman" post.

Claire posted the original account, so I'm pretty sure it happened.
Clarie seems to be an all around good honest person.

> In the year and half, or so, that I have been reading this newsgroup,
> I have never found Claire to be rude and/or insensitive.

Agreed.

Rich

lokey
May 29th 05, 01:42 AM
"Rich" > wrote in message
> Jeff Starr wrote:
>
>> Actually, I'm not sure this even happened, I think it was just a
>> fictional account, inspired by Maggie's "young woman" post.
>
> Claire posted the original account, so I'm pretty sure it happened. Clarie
> seems to be an all around good honest person.
>
>> In the year and half, or so, that I have been reading this newsgroup,
>> I have never found Claire to be rude and/or insensitive.
>
> Agreed.

I'd say it would depend on how it was said. I can see it being said with
snotty, callous tone or in a very friendly and inoffensive manner.

And I agree, 'rude' and 'Claire' don't seem to coincide.

Arentcha sorry ya brought it up, Claire?

:)

--
'The exodus is here
The happy ones are near

Leo Lichtman
May 29th 05, 03:23 AM
Context and tone can certainly de-edge an "insult." I called Maggie a sexy
broad recently, and it led to a long, whimsical two-way flirtation.

Tom Keats
May 29th 05, 03:44 AM
In article >,
Jeff Starr > writes:

> Rude and insensitive, hmm, who does that remind me of???

Don Rickles?

> Anyway, seeing as none of us were there, how do we know how she said,
> what she said? We don't!

From Claire's post:
'While we're waiting for the truck to finish backing, I say to him, "You're
really fast for an old guy! I've been trying to catch up to you -- and for
quite a while. If it hadn't been for this truck, I never would have been
able to do so!" He seems to regard this comment as amusing. I make a
flattering remark about his legs. The road clears, and we both take off.'

The fast, old far... erm ... /guy/ apparently didn't take any
offense, so I'm not gonna either. Heck, he even got a nice
compliment and some friendly conversation out of the deal.
And if his gams warrant flattery I almost envy him -- I've
got these ugly vein or sinew thingies on my calves, that bulge
enormously when I flex them. So if the encounter didn't leave
him with a positive social & sociable feeling -- maybe it shoulda.

I bet it did.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Leo Lichtman
May 29th 05, 06:05 AM
"Tom Keats" wrote: (clip) So if the encounter didn't leave him with a
positive social & sociable feeling -- maybe it shoulda.I bet it did.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I went to Claire's website and saw her picture. If she, or anyone who looks
that good wants to ride up beside me and say nice things, I know it will
leave me with a warm feeling.

Tom Keats
May 29th 05, 07:05 AM
In article >,
"Leo Lichtman" > writes:

> "Tom Keats" wrote: (clip) So if the encounter didn't leave him with a
> positive social & sociable feeling -- maybe it shoulda.I bet it did.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I went to Claire's website and saw her picture. If she, or anyone who looks
> that good wants to ride up beside me and say nice things, I know it will
> leave me with a warm feeling.

I get lots of that -- gorgeous women on bikes, small-talkin'
with me at stop lines.

I also get guys zooming past me, saying: "Hi. Nice day, eh?"
at me. That's their way of letting me know they're passing
me, since they don't have bells on their bikes. But I like it.
It makes traffic kind of a friendly, mobile community.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Peter Cole
May 29th 05, 01:18 PM
Jeff Starr wrote:
> On Sat, 28 May 2005 18:10:16 -0400, Peter Cole
> > wrote:
>
>>Of course it was. If she doesn't realize that, she's both rude and
>>insensitive. Jobst was just demonstrating equivalent rudeness -- as was
>>his stated objective.
>>
>>What's the difference between sex-ism and age-ism?
>

> Rude and insensitive, hmm, who does that remind me of???

Hey, don't be such a coward. If you have something to say, say it.
Perhaps you're implying I'm rude for pointing out rudeness?

> Anyway, seeing as none of us were there, how do we know how she said,
> what she said? We don't! I know people who can say some rather
> provocative things, but they do it in such a way, that it isn't
> insulting. Usually, because it wasn't meant to be insulting.

News flash -- saying rude things isn't OK if you smile. News flash II --
often, the rudest things are precisely those that are unintentionally rude.

> Actually, I'm not sure this even happened, I think it was just a
> fictional account, inspired by Maggie's "young woman" post.

That would make them both trolls.

> In the year and half, or so, that I have been reading this newsgroup,
> I have never found Claire to be rude and/or insensitive.

Neither have I in the past seven or so years. So what? My guess is she
had a brain fart. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt, but that's
being generous.

> Jobst recently posted, pointing out that he did not write the "fat
> broad" post.

So what? I still agree with the sentiments. It's cowardly to fake
someone's ID like that, so I can't say I have any respect for the poster.

> Finally, you really see no difference in "old guy" and "fat broad"?
> They aren't equivalent rudeness' in my opinion. I get called old once
> in a while, it doesn't bother me. But call me fat, when I was fat, and
> you would have hurt my feelings.

Think about it. I was being charitable. Comments like "fast for an old
guy" are worse than rude. They're demeaning. They're arrogant. They
offend human dignity. I expect better, especially from those who offer
spiritual advice.

I might think "Gee, that guy's pretty fast for being fat", but that's
based on physics, understanding the penalty extra weight causes when
climbing. I certainly wouldn't think I was flattering someone by
qualifying praise with a comment on weight. Ditto for age.

How do you know someone's age just by looking? Is there any basis for
assuming a certain degree of infirmity or reduction of capacity?
Attitudes like this are stereotypes, nothing more. "Fat" and "old" are
just labels -- labels on the whole person. Rude is just a description of
behavior.

Pat
May 29th 05, 02:35 PM
:
: You conveniently forgot about the "old" part. She referred to him not
: as "guy", but as "old guy", which some might have taken as an insult,
: given old seems to be in the eye of the beholder.
:
: Rich

Hey, haven't ALL of us been called "old" at some time by some younger
person? Why do you think the word "old" is an insult? It's a fact of life.
We'll always be "old" to somebody and "young" to somebody else. Why get
your dander up?

Pat in TX

Pat
May 29th 05, 02:39 PM
Oh get over yourself! You come off as somebody out looking for ANYTHING to
classify as "rudeness" or insults.

Rich
May 29th 05, 03:22 PM
wrote:

> To splice threads: I try to give the young women on bicycles a
> friendly wave or smile, too.
>
> And pretty much everyone else on bikes, too. That includes the guy
> with the wire basket full of scavenged aluminum cans.

That'd be Iron Bill.

Bill Sornson
May 29th 05, 03:56 PM
Rich wrote:
> wrote:
>>
>> To splice threads: I try to give the young women on bicycles a
>> friendly wave or smile, too.
>>
>> And pretty much everyone else on bikes, too. That includes the guy
>> with the wire basket full of scavenged aluminum cans.
>
> That'd be Iron Bill.

You owe me 10 cents.

Rusty (the other) Bill

Peter Cole
May 29th 05, 05:09 PM
Mike Latondresse wrote:

> I never thought of you as pompous before.

So, you're calling me an arrogant person for calling someone else's
comments arrogant?

I could understand finding my reaction over-sensitive, or "too PC", but
I don't get pompous. I sincerely found her remarks insulting. We're all
pretty sensitive about racism and sexism, but I think we have a way to
go on ageism. I assumed she would be one of the more enlightened ones.

Mike Latondresse
May 29th 05, 07:22 PM
Peter Cole > wrote in
:

> Think about it. I was being charitable. Comments like "fast for an
> old guy" are worse than rude. They're demeaning. They're arrogant.
> They offend human dignity. I expect better, especially from those
> who offer spiritual advice.

I never thought of you as pompous before.

Bill Sornson
May 29th 05, 07:26 PM
Mike Latondresse wrote:
> Peter Cole > wrote in
> :
>

>> Think about it. I was being charitable. Comments like "fast for an
>> old guy" are worse than rude. They're demeaning. They're arrogant.
>> They offend human dignity. I expect better, especially from those
>> who offer spiritual advice.
>>
> I never thought of you as pompous before.

Pay attention more (rofl)

what does THIS button do?
May 29th 05, 10:23 PM
Peter Cole wrote:

> Of course it was. If she doesn't realize that, she's both rude and
> insensitive.

pssst! the saddle goes ON the seatpost.

or, in the immortal words of a Wiser Man Than Thou:

Lighten up, Francis.

..max

Maggie
May 30th 05, 01:17 AM
Leo Lichtman wrote:
> Context and tone can certainly de-edge an "insult." I called Maggie a sexy
> broad recently, and it led to a long, whimsical two-way flirtation.

That is what we humans call...having a sense of humor and not taking
life so seriously. Face it...none of us are getting out alive. You
can call me a sexy old broad anyday Leo.

I run the office of a Commercial Contractor. I know what is fun, and
what is insulting. Working in the Public Construction Industry, you are
always watching your back so you have to be able to read people.

When that guy saw Claire, I doubt if it mattered what the hell she
said. She probably made his day....a young woman flirting with him.
Life doesn't get any better for men.

If a young guy smiled and said I was sexy for an old broad. I would
probably laugh. And probably feel good about it. :-) Sometimes it
is not "the words that are said" but "how you say the words". This
groups really gets intense.

Maggie...

It's in the way that you use it,
It comes and it goes.
It's in the way that you use it,
Boy don't you know.

Eric Clapton....Wicked cute and Sexy old guy.....

Jim Smith
May 30th 05, 01:18 AM
Peter Cole > writes:

> Mike Latondresse wrote:
>
>> I never thought of you as pompous before.
>
> So, you're calling me an arrogant person for calling someone else's
> comments arrogant?
>
> I could understand finding my reaction over-sensitive, or "too PC",
> but I don't get pompous. I sincerely found her remarks
> insulting. We're all pretty sensitive about racism and sexism, but I
> think we have a way to go on ageism. I assumed she would be one of the
> more enlightened ones.

True. From what I have seen, Clarie usualy seems pretty insightful
for a woman.

Bill Sornson
May 30th 05, 01:31 AM
Jim Smith wrote:
> Peter Cole > writes:
>
>> Mike Latondresse wrote:
>>
>>> I never thought of you as pompous before.
>>
>> So, you're calling me an arrogant person for calling someone else's
>> comments arrogant?
>>
>> I could understand finding my reaction over-sensitive, or "too PC",
>> but I don't get pompous. I sincerely found her remarks
>> insulting. We're all pretty sensitive about racism and sexism, but I
>> think we have a way to go on ageism. I assumed she would be one of
>> the more enlightened ones.
>
> True. From what I have seen, Clarie usualy seems pretty insightful
> for a woman.

Missing smilie thing?

Jim Smith
May 30th 05, 07:20 AM
"Bill Sornson" > writes:

> Jim Smith wrote:
>> Peter Cole > writes:

>>> So, you're calling me an arrogant person for calling someone else's
>>> comments arrogant?
>>>
>>> I could understand finding my reaction over-sensitive, or "too PC",
>>> but I don't get pompous. I sincerely found her remarks
>>> insulting. We're all pretty sensitive about racism and sexism, but I
>>> think we have a way to go on ageism. I assumed she would be one of
>>> the more enlightened ones.
>>
>> True. From what I have seen, Clarie usualy seems pretty insightful
>> for a woman.
>
> Missing smilie thing?

Yeah, that's the sort of thing that passes for a joke in my house.

Colorado Bicycler
May 30th 05, 01:19 PM
Pat May 27, 7:32 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
From: "Pat" > - Find messages by this author
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 18:32:21 -0500
Subject: Re: Old man on Bike
original | Report Abuse

"Claire Petersky" :

So, while I was waiting for my green light and a chance
to turn left, I see
: this old guy coming the opposite way turn right, on to the road I'm
headed
: for. He's wearing an ancient helmet and a white t-shirt. He's got
snow-white
: hair, and a snow white beard, sorta like Santa Claus and he's maybe
even
as
: old as Denver Fox, or Leo L., or one of those guys

And he didn't even know you were racing him! Sort of gave yourself an
unfair advantage, don't you think?

"I am racing an "old guy" but he doesn't know it."

Colorado Bicycler
May 30th 05, 01:21 PM
May 28, 3:23 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
From: - Find messages by this author
Date: 28 May 2005 12:23:34 -0700
original | Report Abuse

Mike Beauchamp wrote:
> Great story..
> I always try to give the old people on bicycles a friendly wave or smile

I alwyas try to gove the ugly people on bicycles a friendly wave or
smile.

Just zis Guy, you know?
May 30th 05, 02:30 PM
On Fri, 27 May 2005 16:14:35 -0700, "Claire Petersky"
> wrote in message
>:

>So, while I was waiting for my green light and a chance to turn left, I see
>this old guy coming the opposite way turn right, on to the road I'm headed
>for. He's wearing an ancient helmet and a white t-shirt. He's got snow-white
>hair, and a snow white beard, sorta like Santa Claus and he's maybe even as
>old as Denver Fox, or Leo L., or one of those guys.

Sounds like Richard Ballantine...

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

May 30th 05, 04:44 PM
Colorado Bicycler wrote:

> I alwyas try to gove the ugly people on bicycles a friendly wave or
> smile.

Good. Then I'll wave back at you! ;-)

- Frank Krygowski

May 30th 05, 04:48 PM
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Fri, 27 May 2005 16:14:35 -0700, "Claire Petersky"
> > wrote in message
> >:
>
> >So, while I was waiting for my green light and a chance to turn left, I see
> >this old guy coming the opposite way turn right, on to the road I'm headed
> >for. He's wearing an ancient helmet and a white t-shirt. He's got snow-white
> >hair, and a snow white beard, sorta like Santa Claus and he's maybe even as
> >old as Denver Fox, or Leo L., or one of those guys.
>
> Sounds like Richard Ballantine...

So that's what he looks like these days, eh?

Photos of the author seem much less prominent in his latest books.

- Frank Krygowski

Just zis Guy, you know?
May 30th 05, 05:06 PM
On 30 May 2005 08:48:37 -0700, wrote in message
. com>:

>> Sounds like Richard Ballantine...
>So that's what he looks like these days, eh?

Yes, it was a bit of a shock to find that the short, chubby,
white-haired, deaf old bearded guy was the Bicycle God Ballantine.

But hey, he still rides a bike. And turns up to BHPC meets sometimes.
And is a really, really nice guy.

The meet where I ran into him, Mike Burrows and Miles Kingsbury were
there too. A real treat :-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Bill Baka
June 1st 05, 10:56 AM

wrote:

>>>To splice threads: I try to give the young women on bicycles a
>>>friendly wave or smile, too.
>>>
>>>And pretty much everyone else on bikes, too. That includes the guy
>>>with the wire basket full of scavenged aluminum cans.
>>
>>That'd be Iron Bill.
>

> You owe me 10 cents.
>
> Rusty (the other) Bill

Not me, but with all the beer cans I do see tossed I could make a profit
on each ride just by cleaning all the Al from the roadside. People
litter everywhere. I only pick up good stuff, like when I spot a
crescent wrench by the side of the road.
Waste not, want not.
Bill Baka

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home