PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Bracket Noise

Allan
May 29th 05, 02:12 AM
Got a new Specialized Allez Elite recently and I'm really loving it. After
300 miles on it, the only complaint is that the bottom bracket or environs
is creaking under load - hills or acceleration. I checked the chain ring
bolts and they are tight but the bottom bracket assembly is new technology.
Instead of a BB cartridge, there's a thru-axle attaching the cranks with
bearing races on each side of the BB shell. There are no traditional crank
bolts that I can see.

Anyone have experience with this BB design and know how to get it to shut
up?

Thanks.

Zoot Katz
May 29th 05, 05:58 AM
Sat, 28 May 2005 18:12:57 -0700,
>, "Allan"
> wrote:

>There are no traditional crank bolts that I can see.

Go to the FSA website to download their installation instructions and
torque specs.

www.fullspeedahead.com/
--
zk

Mike Jacoubowsky
May 29th 05, 04:40 PM
> Got a new Specialized Allez Elite recently and I'm really loving it.
> After 300 miles on it, the only complaint is that the bottom bracket or
> environs is creaking under load - hills or acceleration. I checked the
> chain ring bolts and they are tight but the bottom bracket assembly is new
> technology. Instead of a BB cartridge, there's a thru-axle attaching the
> cranks with bearing races on each side of the BB shell. There are no
> traditional crank bolts that I can see.
>
> Anyone have experience with this BB design and know how to get it to shut
> up?

Keep in mind that at least half of the noises people believe are coming from
the bottom bracket are actually coming from somewhere else. The reason we're
so drawn to the bottom bracket is that noises are most-often in sync with
our pedaling rhythm. You might check out this article on our website-
www.ChainReaction.com/noises.htm for some other things to check out.

Also, if the bike has been ridden in the rain at all, the
wet-then-drying-out cycle can cause a lot of noises.

But since it only has 300 miles, if you can't run it down quickly, don't
lose your own hair over it... bring it into the shop and see if perhaps
they've heard the same noise before and already know how to deal with it.
The best person to bring it to is the guy on the staff who already has lost
quite a bit of hair. He's the one who can say "been there, done that." (And
if it's a female mechanic with missing hair, well, poor thing...)

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

May 29th 05, 06:24 PM
I'm with Mike. The shop you bought it from likely has a 30-day tuneup
for free, at least mine does. I suspect few people actually take
advantage of it, but they should be more than happy to give it a look.
300 miles is not a whole lot of miles and if there is a problem, it
should be under warranty. If nothing else, the shop can put your mind
at ease. The time you spend trying to figure it out yourself would be
better spent taking the bike in. My Trek Fuel EX7 has the bottom
bracket type you speak of, so it should be interesting to see what the
problem could be.

Bradley

Allan
May 30th 05, 12:59 AM
Thanks, Mike. I took your advice and sought out the older guy you referred
to at my LBS. He actually deferred to a younger guy who had experience with
newer equipment. He reinstalled the bottom bracket and checked the torque
settings and it seems to be quiet for now.

I appreciate your reference to your web site, which I'm no stranger to.
I've always found it informative and amusing, much like Sheldon Brown's.
I'm in the Sacramento area, so if I'm ever cycling on the Peninsula, I'll
make it a point to visit one of your shops.

Allan

"Mike Jacoubowsky" > wrote in message

> Keep in mind that at least half of the noises people believe are coming
> from the bottom bracket are actually coming from somewhere else. The
> reason we're so drawn to the bottom bracket is that noises are most-often
> in sync with our pedaling rhythm. You might check out this article on our
> website- www.ChainReaction.com/noises.htm for some other things to check
> out.
>
> Also, if the bike has been ridden in the rain at all, the
> wet-then-drying-out cycle can cause a lot of noises.
>
> But since it only has 300 miles, if you can't run it down quickly, don't
> lose your own hair over it... bring it into the shop and see if perhaps
> they've heard the same noise before and already know how to deal with it.
> The best person to bring it to is the guy on the staff who already has
> lost quite a bit of hair. He's the one who can say "been there, done
> that." (And if it's a female mechanic with missing hair, well, poor
> thing...)
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Mike Jacoubowsky
May 30th 05, 02:08 AM
> Thanks, Mike. I took your advice and sought out the older guy you
> referred to at my LBS. He actually deferred to a younger guy who had
> experience with newer equipment.

So did the younger guy have a full head of hair? :>)

"Allan" > wrote in message
> Thanks, Mike. I took your advice and sought out the older guy you
> referred to at my LBS. He actually deferred to a younger guy who had
> experience with newer equipment. He reinstalled the bottom bracket and
> checked the torque settings and it seems to be quiet for now.
>
> I appreciate your reference to your web site, which I'm no stranger to.
> I've always found it informative and amusing, much like Sheldon Brown's.
> I'm in the Sacramento area, so if I'm ever cycling on the Peninsula, I'll
> make it a point to visit one of your shops.
>
> Allan
>
> "Mike Jacoubowsky" > wrote in message
>

>> Keep in mind that at least half of the noises people believe are coming
>> from the bottom bracket are actually coming from somewhere else. The
>> reason we're so drawn to the bottom bracket is that noises are most-often
>> in sync with our pedaling rhythm. You might check out this article on our
>> website- www.ChainReaction.com/noises.htm for some other things to check
>> out.
>>
>> Also, if the bike has been ridden in the rain at all, the
>> wet-then-drying-out cycle can cause a lot of noises.
>>
>> But since it only has 300 miles, if you can't run it down quickly, don't
>> lose your own hair over it... bring it into the shop and see if perhaps
>> they've heard the same noise before and already know how to deal with it.
>> The best person to bring it to is the guy on the staff who already has
>> lost quite a bit of hair. He's the one who can say "been there, done
>> that." (And if it's a female mechanic with missing hair, well, poor
>> thing...)
>>
>> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
>> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

Allan
May 31st 05, 03:57 AM
As a matter of fact he has a full mane, which might mean he's a poser
expert. It's a well know fact that real experts have lost their hair, or at
the very least, have a receding hairline. I should have known, as my bike
is making noise again.

Mike, I take it that you are a real expert and can easily be identified as
one from a distance?

"Mike Jacoubowsky" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Thanks, Mike. I took your advice and sought out the older guy you
>> referred to at my LBS. He actually deferred to a younger guy who had
>> experience with newer equipment.
>
> So did the younger guy have a full head of hair? :>)
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
>

> "Allan" > wrote in message
>> Thanks, Mike. I took your advice and sought out the older guy you
>> referred to at my LBS. He actually deferred to a younger guy who had
>> experience with newer equipment. He reinstalled the bottom bracket and
>> checked the torque settings and it seems to be quiet for now.
>>
>> I appreciate your reference to your web site, which I'm no stranger to.
>> I've always found it informative and amusing, much like Sheldon Brown's.
>> I'm in the Sacramento area, so if I'm ever cycling on the Peninsula, I'll
>> make it a point to visit one of your shops.
>>
>> Allan
>>
>> "Mike Jacoubowsky" > wrote in message
>>

>>> Keep in mind that at least half of the noises people believe are coming
>>> from the bottom bracket are actually coming from somewhere else. The
>>> reason we're so drawn to the bottom bracket is that noises are
>>> most-often in sync with our pedaling rhythm. You might check out this
>>> article on our website- www.ChainReaction.com/noises.htm for some other
>>> things to check out.
>>>
>>> Also, if the bike has been ridden in the rain at all, the
>>> wet-then-drying-out cycle can cause a lot of noises.
>>>
>>> But since it only has 300 miles, if you can't run it down quickly, don't
>>> lose your own hair over it... bring it into the shop and see if perhaps
>>> they've heard the same noise before and already know how to deal with
>>> it. The best person to bring it to is the guy on the staff who already
>>> has lost quite a bit of hair. He's the one who can say "been there, done
>>> that." (And if it's a female mechanic with missing hair, well, poor
>>> thing...)
>>>
>>> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
>>> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

>> News==----