PDA

View Full Version : "Old," "Young," "Midddle Aged," "Elderly," "Teenie Boppie,"and other terms.

Colorado Bicycler
May 30th 05, 01:41 PM
"Old," "Young," "Midddle Aged," "Elderly," "Teenie Boppie,"and other
terms.

None of the above terms has any real meaning to the author and
especialy to the reader. Each is used in the context of the writer and
his/her own plane of reference.

So, Claire, why not say something like this:

"I was trying to pass a gentleman who appeared to be about 80 years
old" (or whatever his age appeared to you) rather than an "old" man?
This leaves much less to the imagination (perhaps not the intention
desired) and helps the reader to form a much more accurate impression
of the subject character. Certainly more appropriate, IMHO.

Maggie
May 30th 05, 02:00 PM
Colorado Bicycler wrote:
> "Old," "Young," "Midddle Aged," "Elderly," "Teenie Boppie,"and other
> terms.
>
> None of the above terms has any real meaning to the author and
> especialy to the reader. Each is used in the context of the writer and
> his/her own plane of reference.

Boy, isn't that the truth. I remember when I was 19 and I met my future
sister in law. She was 30. I was horrified. I thought she was so
old. I will never forget that. To me, at that time, 30 was very old.

We certainly are writing from our own plane of reference. My youngest
son thinks my older son is old because he will be 30 soon. My 30 year
old thinks his 40 year old cousin is over the hill. I guess I should
have one foot in the grave. Yet my parents, who are 85, think I am
young. ;-) The words old and young mean something different to
everyone.

BTW...my future son in law installed the cyclocomputer on my bicycle
this morning and I went for a 5 mile ride. It was very nice to know
the distance. Now tomorrow I can see how many miles it is to ride to
work.

Maggie

psycholist
May 30th 05, 02:45 PM
"Maggie" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Colorado Bicycler wrote:
>> "Old," "Young," "Midddle Aged," "Elderly," "Teenie Boppie,"and other
>> terms.
>>
>> None of the above terms has any real meaning to the author and
>> especialy to the reader. Each is used in the context of the writer and
>> his/her own plane of reference.
>>

> Boy, isn't that the truth. I remember when I was 19 and I met my future
> sister in law. She was 30. I was horrified. I thought she was so
> old. I will never forget that. To me, at that time, 30 was very old.
>
> We certainly are writing from our own plane of reference. My youngest
> son thinks my older son is old because he will be 30 soon. My 30 year
> old thinks his 40 year old cousin is over the hill. I guess I should
> have one foot in the grave. Yet my parents, who are 85, think I am
> young. ;-) The words old and young mean something different to
> everyone.
>
> BTW...my future son in law installed the cyclocomputer on my bicycle
> this morning and I went for a 5 mile ride. It was very nice to know
> the distance. Now tomorrow I can see how many miles it is to ride to
> work.
>
> Maggie

On Saturday, I was a spry, young 49 year old as I banged out a sub-4 1/2
hour century finishing in the front group of three accompanied by a couple
of guys nearly 20 years younger than me.

Then I woke up Sunday morning and I was most definately an old man again.
Ouch.

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

Rich
May 30th 05, 03:24 PM
Maggie wrote:

> BTW...my future son in law installed the cyclocomputer on my bicycle
> this morning and I went for a 5 mile ride.

That's great! I personally find that having a cyclocomputer encourages
me to go just a little bit faster each time in an effort to beat the
last ride's average.

Rich

Peter Cole
May 30th 05, 03:54 PM
Colorado Bicycler wrote:

> So, Claire, why not say something like this:
>
> "I was trying to pass a gentleman who appeared to be about 80 years
> old" (or whatever his age appeared to you) rather than an "old" man?
> This leaves much less to the imagination (perhaps not the intention
> desired) and helps the reader to form a much more accurate impression
> of the subject character. Certainly more appropriate, IMHO.

I agree that that form is more appropriate, but it's still based on
appearances (beard, white hair, age of helmet, etc.). Even if you knew
the guy's exact age, how much should that color your expectations? Sure,
there's an inevitable physical decline of some capacities with age, but
I think there's an unfortunate tendency to exaggerate them or attribute
them to the wrong cause.

Even if you knew the guy was 80, what expectation should you have?
Classic ideas about aging predicted a 1%/yr drop in VO2 max after 40, so
that would put him at 60%. That would give him roughly a 30% decline in
speed, turning him from perhaps a 20 mph rider to a 14 mph one. More
recent studies have shown that it should be possible to at least halve
this decline, by maintaining fitness, so he might have gone from 20 to
17-18. Of course this is just for intensity, endurance is another story.
I have been cheerfully passed by riders with 2 decades on me many times
on ultra rides while I was suffering badly, endurance doesn't seem to
decline as much (although recovery may).

Expectations that are more pessimistic than science supports are simply
negative biases. It's a subtle thing. The most troubling aspect of it is
that people tend to live up to their expectations. Trying to break out
of all that is difficult enough without the condescension of younger
people, well intentioned or not.

Maggie
May 30th 05, 04:06 PM
psycholist wrote:
> Then I woke up Sunday morning and I was most definately an old man again.
> Ouch.
>
> --
> Bob C.

Don't ya just love it when you do something absolutely wonderful and do
it as if you were 21 again.....it just makes you feel so great. Then
the next day, you want to take 6 tylenol and sleep in all day. I went
to a party this past year, and partied like I was in my twenties again.
It took me a week to recover. But it was fun while I was dancing my
ass off and drinking one too many vodka and tonics. Big Ouch and Big
Headache and a long recovery from one party. Bi reminder that I am not
20 any longer.

When I was 20, I could party hearty and jump out of bed the next day
and go to work. No problemo. We get older. We adjust. Or we at least
try to adjust.

Maggie

Maggie
May 30th 05, 04:12 PM
Rich wrote:
> Maggie wrote:
>
> > BTW...my future son in law installed the cyclocomputer on my bicycle
> > this morning and I went for a 5 mile ride.
>
> That's great! I personally find that having a cyclocomputer encourages
> me to go just a little bit faster each time in an effort to beat the
> last ride's average.
>
> Rich

I have to admit, it was fun using it. My future son-in-law had one on
his bike, so he knew exactly how to install it. It took him a few
minutes. Now he spends most of his time flying all over the country
for work, so he doesn't use his bike much. He commutes by plane. :-)
It was fun though....especially knowing the distance. I avoided
looking at the speed. I am slow. That I know. I don't need a computer
to tell me that.
Maggie.

Mark Hickey
May 30th 05, 04:29 PM
"Maggie" > wrote:

>Don't ya just love it when you do something absolutely wonderful and do
>it as if you were 21 again.....

Not really. Other than the fact I'm considerably faster now than when
I was 21, I like to think I do most things a lot better than when I
had only 44% of my current experience.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

jj
May 30th 05, 04:45 PM
On 30 May 2005 08:06:52 -0700, "Maggie" > wrote:

>psycholist wrote:
>> Then I woke up Sunday morning and I was most definately an old man again.
>> Ouch.
>>
>> --
>> Bob C.
>
>Don't ya just love it when you do something absolutely wonderful and do
>it as if you were 21 again.....it just makes you feel so great. Then
>the next day, you want to take 6 tylenol and sleep in all day. I went
>to a party this past year, and partied like I was in my twenties again.
> It took me a week to recover. But it was fun while I was dancing my
>ass off and drinking one too many vodka and tonics. Big Ouch and Big
>Headache and a long recovery from one party. Bi reminder that I am not
>20 any longer.
>
>When I was 20, I could party hearty and jump out of bed the next day
>and go to work. No problemo. We get older. We adjust. Or we at least
>try to adjust.
>
>Maggie

Face it you're OLD. Do you HEAR ME you're OLD, OLD, OLD. LOL.

jj

Colorado Bicycler
May 30th 05, 04:57 PM
">>I was trying to pass a gentleman who appeared to be about 80 years

"appeared" is the operative word here..

If he meets all of Peter's other requirements, then likely he will not
"appear" to be 80, even if he is.

)Hey, have to go for my afternoon nap! See ya later.)

Just zis Guy, you know?
May 30th 05, 05:07 PM
On 30 May 2005 05:41:12 -0700, "Colorado Bicycler" >
wrote in message
. com>:

>"I was trying to pass a gentleman who appeared to be about 80 years
>old"

Hey, I can pass for 80 on a bad day, too ;-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

May 30th 05, 05:13 PM
Colorado Bicycler wrote:
> "Old," "Young," "Midddle Aged," "Elderly," "Teenie Boppie,"and other
> terms.
>
> None of the above terms has any real meaning to the author and
> especialy to the reader. Each is used in the context of the writer and
> his/her own plane of reference.

I think it's time to take a bold step forward!

We've come miles in our sensitivity in recent decades, although not
everyone's caught on. Those who are more enlightened no longer label
people by their race. We understand when calling attention to gender
can be sexist. We understand that calling attention to a disability
can be offensive - that a person may be "differently-abled" rather than
disabled. And the world's certainly a better place because of these
efforts!

If these threads have done anything at all of value, they've pointed
out the obvious: We need to go further!

Yes, the time has come to stop using adjectives!

When describing a person, we should eschew the use of "fat" or "plump"
or "large" or "great big" and just use the word "person."

We should stop references to a person's stature! Who knows how much
the word "short" might hurt a Shaq admirer? Who knows how much pain
the word "tall" might bring to a person who's always wanted to be a
jockey? They're not short, nor tall; they're just a "person"!

Perhaps a woman _does_ look like Nicole Kidman; does that mean she
wants to be labeled "beautiful"? Perhaps she craves anonymity and
simply hasn't figured out how to blend in with everyone else! Have a
heart, folks! She's just a "person."

"Person"! That should do it! If you can't describe a person as a
person, just don't describe them at all.

- Frank Krygowski - an old guy with a grey beard who gets slower every
year.

jj
May 30th 05, 05:50 PM
On 30 May 2005 09:13:51 -0700, wrote:

>Colorado Bicycler wrote:
>> "Old," "Young," "Midddle Aged," "Elderly," "Teenie Boppie,"and other
>> terms.
>>
>> None of the above terms has any real meaning to the author and
>> especialy to the reader. Each is used in the context of the writer and
>> his/her own plane of reference.
>
>I think it's time to take a bold step forward!
>
>We've come miles in our sensitivity in recent decades, although not
>everyone's caught on. Those who are more enlightened no longer label
>people by their race. We understand when calling attention to gender
>can be sexist. We understand that calling attention to a disability
>can be offensive - that a person may be "differently-abled" rather than
>disabled. And the world's certainly a better place because of these
>efforts!
>
>If these threads have done anything at all of value, they've pointed
>out the obvious: We need to go further!
>
>Yes, the time has come to stop using adjectives!
>
>When describing a person, we should eschew the use of "fat" or "plump"
>or "large" or "great big" and just use the word "person."
>
>We should stop references to a person's stature! Who knows how much
>the word "short" might hurt a Shaq admirer? Who knows how much pain
>the word "tall" might bring to a person who's always wanted to be a
>jockey? They're not short, nor tall; they're just a "person"!
>
>Perhaps a woman _does_ look like Nicole Kidman; does that mean she
>wants to be labeled "beautiful"? Perhaps she craves anonymity and
>simply hasn't figured out how to blend in with everyone else! Have a
>heart, folks! She's just a "person."
>
>"Person"! That should do it! If you can't describe a person as a
>person, just don't describe them at all.
>
>- Frank Krygowski - an old guy with a grey beard who gets slower every
>year.

Can we still call them 'dumb-ass'? (as in 'that dumb-ass over there') ;-p

jj

Colorado Bicycler
May 30th 05, 06:50 PM
>>Yes, the time has come to stop using adjectives!

Finally, finally, Frank understands!

Leo Lichtman
May 30th 05, 07:00 PM
"jj" wrote: Can we still call them 'dumb-ass'? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes, of course, so long as you avoid: "fat dumb-ass," "old dumb-ass," and
especially, "fat old dumb-ass."

May 30th 05, 07:02 PM
jj wrote:
> On 30 May 2005 09:13:51 -0700, wrote:
>
> >If these threads have done anything at all of value, they've pointed
> >out the obvious: We need to go further!
> >
> >Yes, the time has come to stop using adjectives!
> >

> Can we still call them 'dumb-ass'? (as in 'that dumb-ass over there') ;-p

<sigh> You just don't get it, do you?

"Dumb" is an adjective. Stop using adjectives!

Stick with nouns! Just call them an ass! ;-)

- Frank Krygowski

jj
May 30th 05, 07:40 PM
On 30 May 2005 11:02:25 -0700, wrote:

>jj wrote:
>> On 30 May 2005 09:13:51 -0700, wrote:
>>
>> >If these threads have done anything at all of value, they've pointed
>> >out the obvious: We need to go further!
>> >
>> >Yes, the time has come to stop using adjectives!
>> >

>> Can we still call them 'dumb-ass'? (as in 'that dumb-ass over there') ;-p
>>

><sigh> You just don't get it, do you?
>
>"Dumb" is an adjective. Stop using adjectives!
>
>Stick with nouns! Just call them an ass! ;-)
>
>- Frank Krygowski

Oh...okay. <sigh> It's just that after hanging around Henry in rbr, for me
'dumbass' has become, uh, sort of a term of endearment. D'ya think maybe we
could apply to Funk&Wagnalls and have 'dumbass' accepted as a noun?

jj

Matt O'Toole
May 30th 05, 07:54 PM
Mark Hickey wrote:

> "Maggie" > wrote:

>> Don't ya just love it when you do something absolutely wonderful and
>> do it as if you were 21 again.....

> Not really. Other than the fact I'm considerably faster now than when
> I was 21, I like to think I do most things a lot better than when I
> had only 44% of my current experience.

Actually that's a good point. Cycling is a rare sport in that performance
increases with mileage, despite age. This is why there are so many fast riders
in their 50s and beyond -- they've had more years to get those miles in.

Matt O.

Roger Zoul
May 30th 05, 08:40 PM
Maggie wrote:
:: BTW...my future son in law installed the cyclocomputer on my bicycle
:: this morning and I went for a 5 mile ride. It was very nice to know
:: the distance. Now tomorrow I can see how many miles it is to ride to
:: work.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 31st 05, 03:20 AM
wrote:

>psycholist wrote:
>> Then I woke up Sunday morning and I was most definately an old man again.
>> Ouch.
>>
>> --
>> Bob C.
>
>Don't ya just love it when you do something absolutely wonderful and do
>it as if you were 21 again.....it just makes you feel so great. Then
>the next day, you want to take 6 tylenol and sleep in all day. I went
>to a party this past year, and partied like I was in my twenties again.
> It took me a week to recover. But it was fun while I was dancing my
>ass off and drinking one too many vodka and tonics. Big Ouch and Big
>Headache and a long recovery from one party. Bi reminder that I am not
>20 any longer.
>
>When I was 20, I could party hearty and jump out of bed the next day
>and go to work. No problemo. We get older. We adjust. Or we at least
>try to adjust.
>
>Maggie

LOL, remember that? Being able to drink your face off and crash at 6
am? I remember it starts about in your late 20s, it suddenly gets
harder to do that. NOw, if I drink too many beers I just get
indigestion. Mind you I never was a big drinker. I think the last
time I was really drunk was over a year ago!

May 31st 05, 03:21 AM
On Mon, 30 May 2005 14:54:34 -0400, "Matt O'Toole" >
wrote:

>Mark Hickey wrote:
>
>> "Maggie" > wrote:
>
>>> Don't ya just love it when you do something absolutely wonderful and
>>> do it as if you were 21 again.....
>
>> Not really. Other than the fact I'm considerably faster now than when
>> I was 21, I like to think I do most things a lot better than when I
>> had only 44% of my current experience.
>
>Actually that's a good point. Cycling is a rare sport in that performance
>increases with mileage, despite age. This is why there are so many fast riders
>in their 50s and beyond -- they've had more years to get those miles in.
>
>Matt O.

And you keep seeing people on their bikes and don't realize how old
they are until you get close up. I keep seeing guys on their bikes and
think they're 25 until I see them close up and theyre at least 55!

Zoot Katz
May 31st 05, 03:51 AM
Mon, 30 May 2005 22:21:49 -0400,
wrote:

>And you keep seeing people on their bikes and don't realize how old
>they are until you get close up.

I was being chased, stalked and hunted by a pair of ~9 yr old while
doing dino at a street festival. The were shooting foam tipped arrows
at me.
Finally when it got too hot in costume I rode off and removed my mask.
They were flabbergasted. One of them finally mustered, "I didn't think
you were _that_ old."
"I'm not old. I'm only twenty. But I started drinking coffee when I
was five." Kids look funny when their eyes get that much bigger again.
--
zk

Zoot Katz
May 31st 05, 04:03 AM
30 May 2005 05:41:12 -0700,
. com>,
"Colorado Bicycler" > wrote:

>"Old," "Young," "Midddle Aged," "Elderly," "Teenie Boppie,"and other
>terms.
>
>None of the above terms has any real meaning to the author and
>especialy to the reader. Each is used in the context of the writer and
>his/her own plane of reference.

In some instances I think "Curmudgeonly Fossil" would probably be
accurate and it's certainly descriptive without being ageist.

Most of the people with whom I cycle are young enough to be my
children had I been careless enough to spawn any.

There's a few of us who are regarded and respected as the elders of
the community. We know we're old and they know we're still tough
enough to ride them down.. . . eventually.

We're respected because we're willing to learn from them, take
interest in what they're doing and not be judgmental. Basically
they're all good kids and anxious to learn from us since we lived the
history they studied.
--
zk

Mike Latondresse
May 31st 05, 04:32 AM
Zoot Katz > wrote in
:

> 30 May 2005 05:41:12 -0700,
> . com>,
> "Colorado Bicycler" > wrote:
>
>>"Old," "Young," "Midddle Aged," "Elderly," "Teenie Boppie,"and
>>other terms.
>>
>>None of the above terms has any real meaning to the author and
>>especialy to the reader. Each is used in the context of the
>>writer and his/her own plane of reference.
>
> In some instances I think "Curmudgeonly Fossil" would probably be
> accurate and it's certainly descriptive without being ageist.
>
> Most of the people with whom I cycle are young enough to be my
> children had I been careless enough to spawn any.
>
> There's a few of us who are regarded and respected as the elders
> of the community. We know we're old and they know we're still
> tough enough to ride them down.. . . eventually.
>
> We're respected because we're willing to learn from them, take
> interest in what they're doing and not be judgmental. Basically
> they're all good kids and anxious to learn from us since we lived
> the history they studied.

Zoot, you are on the edge of being pompous here.

Zoot Katz
May 31st 05, 05:43 AM
Tue, 31 May 2005 03:32:38 GMT,
>, Mike Latondresse
> wrote:

>Zoot Katz > wrote in
:
\szip
>> In some instances I think "Curmudgeonly Fossil" would probably be
>> accurate and it's certainly descriptive without being ageist.
>>
>> Most of the people with whom I cycle are young enough to be my
>> children had I been careless enough to spawn any.
>>
>> There's a few of us who are regarded and respected as the elders
>> of the community. We know we're old and they know we're still
>> tough enough to ride them down.. . . eventually.
>>
>> We're respected because we're willing to learn from them, take
>> interest in what they're doing and not be judgmental. Basically
>> they're all good kids and anxious to learn from us since we lived
>> the history they studied.
>
>Zoot, you are on the edge of being pompous here.

So how can I get there from here?
--
zk

Maggie
May 31st 05, 11:17 AM
Mark Hickey wrote:
> "Maggie" > wrote:
>

> >Don't ya just love it when you do something absolutely wonderful and do
> >it as if you were 21 again.....
>
> Not really. Other than the fact I'm considerably faster now than when
> I was 21, I like to think I do most things a lot better than when I
> had only 44% of my current experience.

I'm happy for you. But even with all my experience I am not physically
capable of staying out all night and getting up for work as I did when
I was 21.

Experience has made me wiser. Maybe even a little bitter. But it has
not given me back my youth. I would not want to be 21 again. I don't
envy people that age. It is a time of great stress, deciding your
future, starting a career, etc.

But if you are even in fair shape, you have the advantages of youth,
and with youth comes youthful bodies.

No one stops the aging process except the grim reaper. We can slow it
down, fight it, surgically hide it, keep in shape, but we ain't
stopping it baby. There is nothing sadder to me than people who will
not embrace their age. (People like me. ;-)

I think 35 is a great age. Not old, not too young. Perfect age.
Mature, but not old. yup, 35 is good.

Maggie
When I was 35, it was a very good year......

Maggie
May 31st 05, 12:20 PM
jj wrote:

> Face it you're OLD. Do you HEAR ME you're OLD, OLD, OLD. LOL.
>
> jj

No **** sherlock!

Maggie.

Peter Cole
May 31st 05, 01:34 PM
Mike Latondresse wrote:
> Zoot Katz > wrote in
>

>>Most of the people with whom I cycle are young enough to be my
>>children had I been careless enough to spawn any.

Most of the people I ride with are my children, and they rock (as does
my wife).

> Zoot, you are on the edge of being pompous here.

Here we go again...

Roger Zoul
May 31st 05, 02:51 PM
Maggie wrote:
:: Mark Hickey wrote:
::: "Maggie" > wrote:
:::
:::
:::: Don't ya just love it when you do something absolutely wonderful
:::: and do it as if you were 21 again.....
:::
::: Not really. Other than the fact I'm considerably faster now than
::: when I was 21, I like to think I do most things a lot better than
::: when I had only 44% of my current experience.
:::
::
:: I'm happy for you. But even with all my experience I am not
:: physically capable of staying out all night and getting up for work
:: as I did when I was 21.

No, but you are capable of doing it as you can at age 50.

::
:: Experience has made me wiser. Maybe even a little bitter. But it has
:: not given me back my youth. I would not want to be 21 again. I don't
:: envy people that age. It is a time of great stress, deciding your
:: future, starting a career, etc.

Why be 21 again when you can be a wiser 50?

::
:: But if you are even in fair shape, you have the advantages of youth,
:: and with youth comes youthful bodies.

So? A 50 year-old body can still do a lot of things - and do them well. But
you'll never know that...

::
:: No one stops the aging process except the grim reaper. We can slow
:: it down, fight it, surgically hide it, keep in shape, but we ain't
:: stopping it baby. There is nothing sadder to me than people who will
:: not embrace their age. (People like me. ;-)

There is nothing sadder than people who use their age as an excuse to give
up and not even try.

::
:: I think 35 is a great age. Not old, not too young. Perfect age.
:: Mature, but not old. yup, 35 is good.
::
:: Maggie
:: When I was 35, it was a very good year......

Your mind is your biggest limitation, not your age.

Roger Zoul
May 31st 05, 02:53 PM
Maggie wrote:
:: jj wrote:
:::
::: Face it you're OLD. Do you HEAR ME you're OLD, OLD, OLD. LOL.
:::
::: jj
::
:: No **** sherlock!

Yep. You're more than 3 years older than I.

::
:: Maggie.

Mike Latondresse
May 31st 05, 07:02 PM
Peter Cole > wrote in
:

> Mike Latondresse wrote:
>> Zoot Katz > wrote in
>>

>>>Most of the people with whom I cycle are young enough to be my
>>>children had I been careless enough to spawn any.
>>>

> Most of the people I ride with are my children, and they rock (as
> does my wife).
>
>> Zoot, you are on the edge of being pompous here.
>
> Here we go again...

Now I know that word annoys you so much I will have to use it more
often.

Peter Cole
May 31st 05, 10:26 PM
Mike Latondresse wrote:

> Now I know that word annoys you so much I will have to use it more
> often.

Well, it's the thought that counts.

Claire Petersky
June 2nd 05, 01:14 AM
Maggie wrote in message
om>...

>But if you are even in fair shape, you have the advantages of youth,
>and with youth comes youthful bodies.

Maggie, you probably haven't seen this old picture of me:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cpetersky/detail?.dir=d18e&.dnm=1619.jpg

Besides that really dorky looking helmet, I think I look pretty good in that
picture. But I'm a much better cyclist in every dimension now than I was
back then -- stronger, better endurance, smarter on the road.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:
http://bookcrossing.com/referr*al/Cpetersky

Bill Sornson
June 2nd 05, 01:21 AM
Claire Petersky wrote:
> Maggie wrote in message
> om>...
>
>> But if you are even in fair shape, you have the advantages of youth,
>> and with youth comes youthful bodies.
>
> Maggie, you probably haven't seen this old picture of me:
> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cpetersky/detail?.dir=d18e&.dnm=1619.jpg
>
> Besides that really dorky looking helmet, I think I look pretty good
> in that picture. But I'm a much better cyclist in every dimension now
> than I was back then -- stronger, better endurance, smarter on the
> road.

Who cares?!? :)

Jeff Starr
June 2nd 05, 05:18 AM
On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 17:14:34 -0700, "Claire Petersky"
> wrote:

>Maggie wrote in message
om>...

>>But if you are even in fair shape, you have the advantages of youth,
>>and with youth comes youthful bodies.
>
>Maggie, you probably haven't seen this old picture of me:
>http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cpetersky/detail?.dir=d18e&.dnm=1619.jpg
>
>Besides that really dorky looking helmet, I think I look pretty good in that
>picture. But I'm a much better cyclist in every dimension now than I was
>back then -- stronger, better endurance, smarter on the road.

The glasses don't help either;-) Everything else, is a big thumbs up.

My guess is that you could go right from the bike to the football
field with that helmet.

Did you get your bike?

Life is Good!
Jeff

Maggie
June 2nd 05, 10:40 AM
Claire Petersky wrote:
> Maggie wrote in message
> om>...
>
> >But if you are even in fair shape, you have the advantages of youth,
> >and with youth comes youthful bodies.
>
> Maggie, you probably haven't seen this old picture of me:
> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cpetersky/detail?.dir=d18e&.dnm=1619.jpg
>
> Besides that really dorky looking helmet, I think I look pretty good in that
> picture.

PRETTY good?????? You look totally hot. I try not to look at pictures
of myself when I was young. It depresses me to see what I used to
look like.
;-) BTW....I don't think anyone is looking at the dorky helmet in
that picture.... ;-)

Maggie.

Michael
June 2nd 05, 02:42 PM
Maggie wrote:
(snip)
> BTW....I don't think anyone is looking at the dorky helmet in
> that picture.... ;-)
>
> Maggie.

Helmet?

lokey
June 2nd 05, 02:51 PM
"Michael" > wrote in message
> Maggie wrote:
> (snip)
>> BTW....I don't think anyone is looking at the dorky helmet in
>> that picture.... ;-)
>>
>> Maggie.
>

> Helmet?

Helmet? Hell, I had to take a second look before I noticed the _freakin_
bike.

:)

--
'Things forbidden have a secret charm.' -tacitus

Maggie
June 2nd 05, 03:00 PM
Michael wrote:
> Maggie wrote:
> (snip)
> > BTW....I don't think anyone is looking at the dorky helmet in
> > that picture.... ;-)
> >
> > Maggie.
>

> Helmet?

That thing "above" the cleavage!!! Look North.

See Claire, some things draw more attention than a cool bike. ;-)

Any man who looks at that pic and notices the helmet needs help.

Maggie

Just zis Guy, you know?
June 2nd 05, 03:09 PM
On 2 Jun 2005 07:00:38 -0700, "Maggie" >
wrote:

>Any man who looks at that pic and notices the helmet needs help.

For some values of "helmet", obviously...

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home