PDA

View Full Version : the lesser of two weevils

lokey
May 31st 05, 03:06 AM
Which is worse? A sidewalk cyclist or a left side road rider?

No fair saying they are both equally bad.

--
'As far as I'm concerned,
I prefer silent vice to ostentatious virtue.'

May 31st 05, 03:18 AM
On Mon, 30 May 2005 22:06:25 -0400, "lokey" >
wrote:

> Which is worse? A sidewalk cyclist or a left side road rider?
>

> No fair saying they are both equally bad.

How about: Spaced out hippies riding their bikes the wrong way down
the middle of the road, not even looking where they are going!

psycholist
May 31st 05, 03:20 AM
"lokey" > wrote in message

> Which is worse? A sidewalk cyclist or a left side road rider?
>

> No fair saying they are both equally bad.
>
> --
> 'As far as I'm concerned,
> I prefer silent vice to ostentatious virtue.'
> -albert einstein

Yes.

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

Zoot Katz
May 31st 05, 03:23 AM
Mon, 30 May 2005 22:06:25 -0400, >,
"lokey" > wrote:

> Which is worse? A sidewalk cyclist or a left side road rider?
>

> No fair saying they are both equally bad.

IMO, the WWC is suicidal while at the same time being a hazard to me.
--
zk

C.J.Patten
May 31st 05, 04:28 AM
"Zoot Katz" > wrote in message
> Mon, 30 May 2005 22:06:25 -0400, >,
> "lokey" > wrote:
>
>> Which is worse? A sidewalk cyclist or a left side road rider?
>>
>> No fair saying they are both equally bad.
>
> IMO, the WWC is suicidal while at the same time being a hazard to me.

There are times I can identify with the wrong-way-cyclist. Car drivers that
whiz by inches from me remind me that I'm a very vulnerable piece of raw
meat when I can't see the idiot drunk SUV driver coming up behind me in the
cycle lane. (I still follow the rules, but sometimes wish bike traffic was
opposite side)

I love dedicated cycle routes ...

C.

Bill Sornson
May 31st 05, 04:47 AM
lokey wrote:

> Which is worse? A sidewalk cyclist or a left side road rider?

Left-side sidewalk cyclist. (Almost got run over by one walking out of a
sporting goods store the other day.)

Bill "tru dat" S.

Zoot Katz
May 31st 05, 05:44 AM
Mon, 30 May 2005 23:28:53 -0400, >,
"C.J.Patten" > wrote:

>There are times I can identify with the wrong-way-cyclist. Car drivers that
>whiz by inches from me remind me that I'm a very vulnerable piece of raw
>meat when I can't see the idiot drunk SUV driver coming up behind me in the
>cycle lane. (I still follow the rules, but sometimes wish bike traffic was
>opposite side)

Statistically most of the cyclists hit from behind are riding unlit
bicycles at night on unlit rural roads and fully 37% of those dead
cyclists are themselves legally impaired.
--
zk

rdclark
May 31st 05, 04:12 PM
C.J.Patten wrote:

> There are times I can identify with the wrong-way-cyclist. Car drivers that
> whiz by inches from me remind me that I'm a very vulnerable piece of raw
> meat when I can't see the idiot drunk SUV driver coming up behind me in the
> cycle lane. (I still follow the rules, but sometimes wish bike traffic was
> opposite side)

"Seeing it coming" is highly overrated. "Vastly reducing combined
closing speed in a collision" is still my preference, if forced to
choose.

RichC

C.J.Patten
May 31st 05, 07:16 PM
"rdclark" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> C.J.Patten wrote:
>
>> There are times I can identify with the wrong-way-cyclist. Car drivers
>> that
>> whiz by inches from me remind me that I'm a very vulnerable piece of raw
>> meat when I can't see the idiot drunk SUV driver coming up behind me in
>> the
>> cycle lane. (I still follow the rules, but sometimes wish bike traffic
>> was
>> opposite side)
>
> "Seeing it coming" is highly overrated. "Vastly reducing combined
> closing speed in a collision" is still my preference, if forced to
> choose.

Now THAT is a very good point. (as was the previous one about rear-hit
statistics)

BTW: I do think it's irresponsible to be riding on sidewalks - the cyclist
who almost hit the previous poster outside a bike shop should have their a$$
kicked...

C.

David L. Johnson
May 31st 05, 11:19 PM
On Mon, 30 May 2005 21:44:06 -0700, Zoot Katz wrote:

> Statistically most of the cyclists hit from behind are riding unlit
> bicycles at night on unlit rural roads and fully 37% of those dead
> cyclists are themselves legally impaired.

Seeing as how they are dead, I'd imagine that all of them are legally
impaired.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | You will say Christ saith this and the apostles say this; but
_`\(,_ | what canst thou say? -- George Fox.
(_)/ (_) |

Zoot Katz
June 1st 05, 12:38 AM
Tue, 31 May 2005 18:19:17 -0400,
>, "David L. Johnson"
> wrote:

>Seeing as how they are dead, I'd imagine that all of them are legally
>impaired.

Yep, but it doesn't keep them from voting.
--
zk

gds
June 1st 05, 12:48 AM
Zoot Katz wrote:

> Yep, but it doesn't keep them from voting.
> --
> zk

I grew up in Chicago. We learned to "vote early, vote often."

rdclark
June 1st 05, 04:07 PM
gds wrote:
> Zoot Katz wrote:
> >>
> > Yep, but it doesn't keep them from voting.
> > --
> > zk
>
> I grew up in Chicago. We learned to "vote early, vote often."

"It's a beautiful day for an election. Let's vote twice."

RichC

Zoot Katz
June 1st 05, 06:00 PM
1 Jun 2005 08:07:36 -0700,
. com>, "rdclark"
> wrote:

>gds wrote:
>> Zoot Katz wrote:
>> >>
>> > Yep, but it doesn't keep them from voting.
>> > --
>> > zk
>>
>> I grew up in Chicago. We learned to "vote early, vote often."
>
>"It's a beautiful day for an election. Let's vote twice."

For free?
--
zk

gds