PDA

View Full Version : Seal 'n' Flate

Bob
May 31st 05, 07:25 PM
I had a puncture during the bike leg of a triathlon the other weekend
and used one of these Seal 'n' Flate things to try and fix it without
having to replace the inner tube. It seemed to seal okay, but the flate
bit was crap as it didn't discharge the whole can into my tyre.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?C32F11C2B

I was running on a 650c x 20 Conti Grand Prix at 120 psi when it popped
and I doubt that the can got it to half of that. Can I reasonably expect
one of these things to inflate a 650c x 20 to a working pressure, or is
it better suited to lower psi tyres...?

Cheers,

P.S. As I've just bought one of these http://makeashorterlink.com/?E23F12C2B
I think I'll just be replacing the inner tube next time...

--
bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com http://www.bobarnott.com/
"Crash programs fail because they are based on theory that,

Pete Biggs
May 31st 05, 08:13 PM
Bob wrote:
> I had a puncture during the bike leg of a triathlon the other weekend
> and used one of these Seal 'n' Flate things to try and fix it without
> having to replace the inner tube. It seemed to seal okay, but the
> flate
> bit was crap as it didn't discharge the whole can into my tyre.

With can held upright?

> http://makeashorterlink.com/?C32F11C2B
>
> I was running on a 650c x 20 Conti Grand Prix at 120 psi when it
> popped
> and I doubt that the can got it to half of that. Can I reasonably
> expect one of these things to inflate a 650c x 20 to a working
> pressure, or is
> it better suited to lower psi tyres...?

I expect its designed with lower pressure tyres in mind, and it's a "get
you home" job rather than a racing product. But you could use the Seal
'n' Flate then add more gas with your CO2 inflator. That would be quicker
than changing a tube, though less reliable.

~PB

Bob
June 1st 05, 11:39 PM
Pete Biggs wrote:
> Bob wrote:
>
>>I had a puncture during the bike leg of a triathlon the other weekend
>>and used one of these Seal 'n' Flate things to try and fix it without
>>having to replace the inner tube. It seemed to seal okay, but the
>>flate
>>bit was crap as it didn't discharge the whole can into my tyre.
>
> With can held upright?

Followed the instructions to the letter...

> I expect its designed with lower pressure tyres in mind, and it's a "get
> you home" job rather than a racing product.

I did think that, but then again it looks like a very handy product to
have for racing if you've no support.

> But you could use the Seal 'n' Flate then add more gas with your
> CO2 inflator. That would be quicker than changing a tube, though
> less reliable.

I have thought about that as it would be much faster. I should really
try it out and see what it's like.

Cheers,

--
bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com http://www.bobarnott.com/
"Crash programs fail because they are based on theory that,
with nine women pregnant, you can get a baby in a month."
-- Wernher von Braun

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home