PDA

View Full Version : roadside tool kit?

Zoot Katz
May 31st 05, 01:32 AM
Tue, 31 May 2005 18:48:13 -0400, >,
"C.J.Patten" > wrote:

>What do you carry with you while cycling for quick roadside repairs?

As others have pointed out, your repair kit depends upon the distance
or duration of the ride.
I never leave home without tire levers, chain tool, frame pump and two
tubes. I carry only a few allan keys and a couple glueless patches. I
also pack along an adjustable wrench primarily for the benefit of
others. Oh, and a corkscrew because you never can tell when it might
save the day and endear you to friends or strangers.
After my last ride, I think I'll add a mylar survival blanket.
--
zk

Zoot Katz
May 31st 05, 06:41 AM
Wed, 01 Jun 2005 03:52:38 GMT,
>, "Cathy Kearns"
> wrote:

>> After my last ride, I think I'll add a mylar survival blanket.
>
>I always add ibprofin, a few bandaids, and benedryl. (I'm allergic to bee
>stings.) If you have room for it, a small ace bandage can fix up almost any
>injury. I keep a similar kit in my tennis bag.;-)

I carry an ace bandage on tours along with a sanitary napkin to use as
compress dressing.
If I need drugs I'll buy them somewhere along the way.

I'd have cut up used the inner tubes for a bandage to temporarily
splint my broken leg had I not had friends with a cell phone.
--
zk

C.J.Patten
May 31st 05, 11:48 PM
What do you carry with you while cycling for quick roadside repairs?

Tire patch? (self-adhesive or with seperate glue?)
Hand pump or CO2-type inflator?
Spare spoke or perhaps a FiberFix replacement?
Any multi-tool recommendations? (Park used to make a good one)

An old flight instructor of mine who served in the Gulf war used to carry
three things in her civilian flight survival kit: "GPS, cellphone, credit
card!" :)

Chris

gds
May 31st 05, 11:57 PM
I tube, 1 CO2 inlfator w extra cartridge, Glueless patches (never
used), 2 plastic tire irons, 1 multi tool (have several, don't remember
brands but I carry the one w/ the most allen wrench sizes)

for longish solo rides add: 1 frame pump, 2nd tube.

also always carry a cell phone.

Tony W
June 1st 05, 12:02 AM
"C.J.Patten" > wrote in message
> What do you carry with you while cycling for quick roadside repairs?
>
> Tire patch? (self-adhesive or with seperate glue?)
> Hand pump or CO2-type inflator?
> Spare spoke or perhaps a FiberFix replacement?
> Any multi-tool recommendations? (Park used to make a good one)
>
> An old flight instructor of mine who served in the Gulf war used to carry
> three things in her civilian flight survival kit: "GPS, cellphone, credit
> card!" :)

Some tyre levers might be useful -- and a means of getting the wheel off if
not QR. A tyre boot likewise. A tube of super glue and a couple of tie
wraps -- maybe. Forget the spoke.

Depends on the journey. <5miles -- nothing. >5 <50 puncture repair only +
phone & credit card. Multi day -- depends where & how heavily loaded.

GPS -- nice but not necessary if you can read a map -- which pretty much
rules out the Yankee military :~)

Peter Headland
June 1st 05, 12:10 AM
For me, the essentials are:

- Spare tube (because patching takes too long and doen't work well if
it's raining).

- Patches (because sooner or later you will get more than one puncture
in a ride) - I use the self-adhesive variety for on-the-road fixes.

- Pump - CO2 will run out if you have more than 1 puncture.

- Micro chain tool (I have trashed a chain through chainsuck on
occasion).

- Piece of Tyvek for use as tyre boot.

- Cell phone to call for help if disaster strikes.

- Gel (because fixing punctures eats up energy and I may have left home
with no breakfast for a short ride).

Good wheels don't break spokes unless you have some major catastrophe
(in which case spare spokes won't help).

Most (possibly all) tyre/rim combinations do not need tyre levers. (Cue
lots of people who simply don't know how to remove/fit a tyre without
levers saying that their combination is "impossible".)

--
Peter Headland

Joe Canuck
June 1st 05, 12:30 AM
C.J.Patten wrote:

> What do you carry with you while cycling for quick roadside repairs?
>
> Tire patch? (self-adhesive or with seperate glue?)

I do my tube repairs at home. Instead, I carry 2 new tubes with me.

I find it easier to replace the tube rather than horse around with
finding a tiny hole while out riding.

> Hand pump or CO2-type inflator?

Small hand pump.

> Spare spoke or perhaps a FiberFix replacement?

I don't carry those.

> Any multi-tool recommendations? (Park used to make a good one)

I have a Park multi-tool, but don't carry it with me anymore. I've never
had a failure such that I needed any tools.

> An old flight instructor of mine who served in the Gulf war used to carry
> three things in her civilian flight survival kit: "GPS, cellphone, credit
> card!" :)
>
> Chris

gds
June 1st 05, 12:33 AM
Peter Headland wrote:
> For me, the essentials are:
>
> - Spare tube (because patching takes too long and doen't work well if
> it's raining).
>
> - Patches (because sooner or later you will get more than one puncture
> in a ride) - I use the self-adhesive variety for on-the-road fixes.
>
> - Pump - CO2 will run out if you have more than 1 puncture.
>
> - Micro chain tool (I have trashed a chain through chainsuck on
> occasion).
>
> - Piece of Tyvek for use as tyre boot.
>
> - Cell phone to call for help if disaster strikes.
>
> - Gel (because fixing punctures eats up energy and I may have left home
> with no breakfast for a short ride).
>
> Good wheels don't break spokes unless you have some major catastrophe
> (in which case spare spokes won't help).
>
> Most (possibly all) tyre/rim combinations do not need tyre levers. (Cue
> lots of people who simply don't know how to remove/fit a tyre without
> levers saying that their combination is "impossible".)
>
> --
> Peter Headland

Joe Canuck
June 1st 05, 12:34 AM
C.J.Patten wrote:

> What do you carry with you while cycling for quick roadside repairs?
>
> Tire patch? (self-adhesive or with seperate glue?)
> Hand pump or CO2-type inflator?
> Spare spoke or perhaps a FiberFix replacement?
> Any multi-tool recommendations? (Park used to make a good one)
>
> An old flight instructor of mine who served in the Gulf war used to carry
> three things in her civilian flight survival kit: "GPS, cellphone, credit
> card!" :)
>
> Chris

I forgot one thing...

I always carry enough cash with me such that I can grab a cab home if
something does happen such that the bike is inoperable or for some other
reason I can no longer ride/power it.

This strategy works okay around town. Out in the boonies I'd carry more
equipment.

C.J.Patten
June 1st 05, 01:04 AM
Hey, thanks for the quick replies guys!

In other activities I participate in I carry different "kits" for different
lengths of trips - some "base camp" tools and some designed for field
triage.

Seems the same can be applied to cycling.

I looked back at my notes and it seems I had my last bike for 14 years.

Over that time (probably 5,000km+ of riding), I never popped a tire, broke a
spoke or otherwise needed any maintenance while on the road.

Murphy's Law of course - whatever tool or part I need in future, I won't be
carrying. ;)

Thanks again - other suggestions welcome.

Chris

Diablo Scott
June 1st 05, 01:29 AM
C.J.Patten wrote:

> Over that time (probably 5,000km+ of riding), I never popped a tire, broke a
> spoke or otherwise needed any maintenance while on the road.
>
> Murphy's Law of course - whatever tool or part I need in future, I won't be
> carrying. ;)

Now you'll need it in triplicate.

--
My bike blog:
http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

David L. Johnson
June 1st 05, 02:33 AM
On Tue, 31 May 2005 18:48:13 -0400, C.J.Patten wrote:

> What do you carry with you while cycling for quick roadside repairs?
>
> Tire patch? (self-adhesive or with seperate glue?)

I often carry "clueless" patches, but you cannot depend on them. On a
solo tour, I carry real patches and glue. I always carry spare tubes;
usually 2 of them. On many rides I carry a spare folding tire.

> Hand pump or CO2-type inflator?

A good pump beats a CO2 inflator.

> Spare spoke or perhaps a FiberFix replacement?

Only when touring. I can manage to ride home with a broken spoke, at
least after a bit of field truing. I do have a spoke wrench on my
multi-tool. If your wheel has few enough spokes that one break will make
it unridable, then your wheel is too fancy to be field-repairable anyway.
Hell of a lot of good a warantee does in the middle of Wyoming.

> Any multi-tool
> recommendations?

I got a Crank Bros tool as a club banquet award. Works fine. You want to
have something with the usual range of Allen keys, plus both blade and
Phillips screwdriver. I usually also carry my Leatherman in my pocket.
that and the Allen keys on the multi-tool take care of most repairs.

> An old flight instructor of mine who served in the Gulf war used to
> carry three things in her civilian flight survival kit: "GPS, cellphone,
> credit card!" :)

Money for emergency transportation, a cell-phone to call "honey", and
credit cards for a place to stay [during a tour. You'd only need to find
a hotel during a day trip if, well, you met someone....]

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Become MicroSoft-free forever. Ask me how.
_`\(,_ |
(_)/ (_) |

Pete Biggs
June 1st 05, 02:46 AM
Peter Headland wrote:

> Good wheels don't break spokes unless you have some major catastrophe
> (in which case spare spokes won't help).

You can't always be sure your wheels are good, especially if someone else
built them. In any case, a spoke may eventually break even in a good
wheel after many thousands of miles. A /minor/ catastrophe can nick a
spoke, causing just that one spoke to eventually go.

An emergency wire or kevlar spoke isn't much trouble to carry and may save
putting a big taxi or train fare on that credit card. A wheel with a
missing spoke can't always be trued sufficiently when there's minimal
clearance in the stays.

> Most (possibly all) tyre/rim combinations do not need tyre levers.
> (Cue lots of people who simply don't know how to remove/fit a tyre
> without levers saying that their combination is "impossible".)

Bull****. I can and do manage without levers for some combinations but
plenty are extremely difficult if not impossible without, no matter how
good your technique. Try Panaracer Pasela on A719. It's ridiculous to
punish yourself by not carrying levers if tyres are a tight fit. There's
no harm in at least *removing* tyres with levers if careful, or even
fitting if very careful.

~PB

Martin Dann
June 1st 05, 02:55 AM
In message >
"Pete Biggs" > wrote:

> An emergency wire or kevlar spoke isn't much trouble to carry and may save
> putting a big taxi or train fare on that credit card. A wheel with a
> missing spoke can't always be trued sufficiently when there's minimal
> clearance in the stays.

I have never considered carrying a spare spoke. Is it worth it for a
45 min journey to/from work. Where on the bike do you carry one, is it
worth fixing it to e.g. the inside of the seat tube.

Martin.

--
According to the human genome project, humans are 50-60% bananas.
When emailing me, please include the word Banana in the subject line.

C.J.Patten
June 1st 05, 03:02 AM
Hey Pete.

I only have one bike now - a 2003 KHS Westwood folder with 20x1.95's.

Any way I can determine if I need tire levers without taking the tires off?
(I'm new to this style of tire...)

C.

"Pete Biggs" > wrote in message
> Peter Headland wrote:
>
>> Good wheels don't break spokes unless you have some major catastrophe
>> (in which case spare spokes won't help).
>
> You can't always be sure your wheels are good, especially if someone else
> built them. In any case, a spoke may eventually break even in a good
> wheel after many thousands of miles. A /minor/ catastrophe can nick a
> spoke, causing just that one spoke to eventually go.
>
> An emergency wire or kevlar spoke isn't much trouble to carry and may save
> putting a big taxi or train fare on that credit card. A wheel with a
> missing spoke can't always be trued sufficiently when there's minimal
> clearance in the stays.
>
>> Most (possibly all) tyre/rim combinations do not need tyre levers.
>> (Cue lots of people who simply don't know how to remove/fit a tyre
>> without levers saying that their combination is "impossible".)
>
> Bull****. I can and do manage without levers for some combinations but
> plenty are extremely difficult if not impossible without, no matter how
> good your technique. Try Panaracer Pasela on A719. It's ridiculous to
> punish yourself by not carrying levers if tyres are a tight fit. There's
> no harm in at least *removing* tyres with levers if careful, or even
> fitting if very careful.
>
> ~PB

Marty
June 1st 05, 03:26 AM

)

> An old flight instructor of mine who served in the Gulf war used to carry
> three things in her civilian flight survival kit: "GPS, cellphone, credit
> card!" :)
>
> Chris

No lipstick?

Tom Keats
June 1st 05, 03:38 AM
In article >,
"C.J.Patten" > writes:
> Hey, thanks for the quick replies guys!
>
> In other activities I participate in I carry different "kits" for different
> lengths of trips - some "base camp" tools and some designed for field
> triage.
>
> Seems the same can be applied to cycling.

Those thin Park spanners are nice & light, but their thinness
does come with a tendency to round corners on nuts and screw
heads. For home use, some good metric box-ends or sockets
are preferable.

> I looked back at my notes and it seems I had my last bike for 14 years.
>
> Over that time (probably 5,000km+ of riding), I never popped a tire, broke a
> spoke or otherwise needed any maintenance while on the road.
>
> Murphy's Law of course - whatever tool or part I need in future, I won't be
> carrying. ;)

I think having accessories such as racks, fenders, toe clips
and generator/light systems attached to your bike is what
mostly increases any need for extra tools in the field.

Having a few zip ties, short bungees, and even a length of
iron binding wire (the type used to tie re-bar together)
on hand has saved the day for me more than once.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Pete Biggs
June 1st 05, 04:41 AM
Martin Dann wrote:

>> An emergency wire or kevlar spoke isn't much trouble to carry and
>> may save putting a big taxi or train fare on that credit card. A
>> wheel with a missing spoke can't always be trued sufficiently when
>> there's minimal clearance in the stays.
>
> I have never considered carrying a spare spoke. Is it worth it for a
> 45 min journey to/from work.

Not if it's inconvenient for you. I admit that you're unlikely to need
one but it's one of those "why not?" things.

> Where on the bike do you carry one, is it
> worth fixing it to e.g. the inside of the seat tube.

I have a regular spoke taped under a chain stay on my tatty old tourer,
and I carry an "emergency" flexible wire spoke coiled up in a bag on my
road bike:

http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm?item853.htm

.....I've not actually used it so don't know how well it works, but I have
broken spokes in the past. Fortunately I was able to true the wheel and
carry on with a spoke missing every time, but my new bike has alarmingly
little clearance in the stays.

~PB

Pete Biggs
June 1st 05, 04:42 AM
C.J.Patten wrote:
> Any way I can determine if I need tire levers without taking the
> tires off? (I'm new to this style of tire...)

I don't think so, sorry.

~PB

C.J.Patten
June 1st 05, 04:48 AM
Naw. Pam might have carried a Colt 45 ACP. She was NOT a lipstick gal.
Awesome lady.

;)

"Marty" > wrote in message
> C.J.Patten wrote:
>> What do you carry with you while cycling for quick roadside repairs?
>>
> )
>>
>> An old flight instructor of mine who served in the Gulf war used to carry
>> three things in her civilian flight survival kit: "GPS, cellphone, credit
>> card!" :)
>>
>> Chris
> No lipstick?

Cathy Kearns
June 1st 05, 04:52 AM
"Zoot Katz" > wrote in message
> Tue, 31 May 2005 18:48:13 -0400, >,
> "C.J.Patten" > wrote:
>
> >What do you carry with you while cycling for quick roadside repairs?
>
> As others have pointed out, your repair kit depends upon the distance
> or duration of the ride.
> I never leave home without tire levers, chain tool, frame pump and two
> tubes. I carry only a few allan keys and a couple glueless patches. I
> also pack along an adjustable wrench primarily for the benefit of
> others. Oh, and a corkscrew because you never can tell when it might
> save the day and endear you to friends or strangers.
> After my last ride, I think I'll add a mylar survival blanket.

I always add ibprofin, a few bandaids, and benedryl. (I'm allergic to bee
stings.) If you have room for it, a small ace bandage can fix up almost any
injury. I keep a similar kit in my tennis bag.;-)

Pete Biggs
June 1st 05, 05:06 AM
> http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm?item853.htm

Note. Emergency spokes like this can be fitted to rear right side without
removing sprockets.

~PB

Vincent Wilcox
June 1st 05, 05:08 AM
IC.J.Patten wrote:
> What do you carry with you while cycling for quick roadside repairs?

How far are you going? Around town I don't carry much.

> Tire patch? (self-adhesive or with seperate glue?)
> Hand pump or CO2-type inflator?
> Spare spoke or perhaps a FiberFix replacement?
> Any multi-tool recommendations? (Park used to make a good one)

CO2 is a bit crap, a good pump is a Zefal HPX or similar.

A spare spoke should be unnecessary. Google broken spokes, but authors
such as Jobst Brandt, Sheldon Brown (aka. Capt Bike), Peter Chisolm (aka
Qui Si Campagnolo) amongst others can explain why this is in the main
unnecessary.

I have an alien which serves well, but the tyre levers tend to break.

> An old flight instructor of mine who served in the Gulf war used to carry
> three things in her civilian flight survival kit: "GPS, cellphone, credit
> card!" :)

Condoms? Sorry I've only ever known stewardesses. ;)

> Chris

Bob
June 1st 05, 05:29 AM
C.J.Patten wrote:
> What do you carry with you while cycling for quick roadside repairs?
>
> Tire patch? (self-adhesive or with seperate glue?)
> Hand pump or CO2-type inflator?
> Spare spoke or perhaps a FiberFix replacement?
> Any multi-tool recommendations? (Park used to make a good one)
>
> An old flight instructor of mine who served in the Gulf war used to carry
> three things in her civilian flight survival kit: "GPS, cellphone, credit
> card!" :)
>
> Chris

Road bike- One spare tube, a patch kit (with glue), CO2 inflator with
spare cartridge, and ibuprofen.
MTB- As above except replace inflator with minipump.

Jeff Starr
June 1st 05, 05:31 AM
On Tue, 31 May 2005 22:02:47 -0400, "C.J.Patten"
> wrote:

>Hey Pete.
>
>I only have one bike now - a 2003 KHS Westwood folder with 20x1.95's.
>
>Any way I can determine if I need tire levers without taking the tires off?
>(I'm new to this style of tire...)
>
>C.
Hi, just carry a set of levers, they don't take up much room.
Here is what I carry:

A good multi-tool, I like the Crank Bros
Micra 17, which includes a chain tool and spoke wrenches. Here take a
look:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=0350&sku=5971&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

Throw in a spare tube, a patch kit, a set of tire bars, an inflating
device*, a spare master link or pin, you're all set.

* I have a Topeak Road Morph pump on my older bike and I carry a CO2
inflator with my Lemond. I always carry at least 3 spare CO2
cartridges. I seldom get flats, with either bike, but if it was a more
regular occurence, then I would carry the Road Morph pump on both
bikes. All of the above, except the pump, fit in a medium sized seat
bag and adds 2lbs to the bike.

I keep a piece of duct tape stuck to the bottom of the bag. It can be
used as a tire boot, if necessary. Optional items, include band aids,
tylenol/aspirin, and a foil packeted disposable eye glass cleaning
cloth.

Life is Good!
Jeff

C.J.Patten
June 1st 05, 05:37 AM
"Jeff Starr" > wrote in message

> Hi, just carry a set of levers, they don't take up much room.
> Here is what I carry:
>
> A good multi-tool, I like the Crank Bros
> Micra 17, which includes a chain tool and spoke wrenches. Here take a
> look:
> http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=0350&sku=5971&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=
>
> Throw in a spare tube, a patch kit, a set of tire bars, an inflating
> device*, a spare master link or pin, you're all set.
>
> * I have a Topeak Road Morph pump on my older bike and I carry a CO2
> inflator with my Lemond. I always carry at least 3 spare CO2
> cartridges. I seldom get flats, with either bike, but if it was a more
> regular occurence, then I would carry the Road Morph pump on both
> bikes. All of the above, except the pump, fit in a medium sized seat
> bag and adds 2lbs to the bike.
>
> I keep a piece of duct tape stuck to the bottom of the bag. It can be
> used as a tire boot, if necessary. Optional items, include band aids,
> tylenol/aspirin, and a foil packeted disposable eye glass cleaning
> cloth.

Thanks for the kit breakdown Jeff!

I'm just blown away with the feedback I'm getting on this!

I used to own a seat post which had a pump built in.

Anyone know of a seat-post pump on the market today?

Chris

June 1st 05, 06:22 AM
I carry:
Patch kit (the kind with glue)
Frame pump
Tire levers
Ascent multitool (cheap, but contains many tools and has worked
excellent)
$20 bill
Fruit+grain bar, when I haven't eaten it recently
5 LED blinkie light

Everything but the pump goes in my Performance Transit Midi wedge pack,
and there's still room for a phone, keys, and gloves.

Dan

Leo Lichtman
June 1st 05, 06:41 AM
"C.J.Patten" wrote: (clip)Anyone know of a seat-post pump on the market
today?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Several years ago a machine shop in Marin County would make you one for
$50--you furnish the seatpost. I could research it if you are interested.

Call me Bob
June 1st 05, 07:15 AM
On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 00:37:11 -0400, "C.J.Patten"
> wrote:

>> A good multi-tool, I like the Crank Bros

>I'm just blown away with the feedback I'm getting on this!

We've discussed this before, not too long ago. I still think you're
better off carrying separates than an all in one multi-tool.

Discussion is here:

http://tinyurl.com/9e9ox

If I'm just off out to the shops or the pub then I don't carry
anything, but going further afield I clip a small underseat pack onto
the saddle. It contains:

Spare innertube
Spokey spoke key
T Bar with appropriate hex and screwdriver bits
Chain tool head unit
Powerlink
Park pre-glued patches
Park tyre boot
Couple of cable ties

Plus a small mini pump clipped to the bike.

That lot will all fit in a very small and unobtrusive pack, and will
get you (and anyone else you encounter) out of most routine cycling
mishaps.

"Bob"

--

Email address is spam trapped.
To reply directly remove the beverage.

C.J.Patten
June 1st 05, 07:16 AM
The offer's appreciated Leo but don't worry about it.

The one I owned made use of the seat post itself as the body of the pump
with the nozzle just below the seat and the handle being a T-handle that
folded flush at the base of the post.

The other one I knew about was more like a small, conventional pump that
"hid" inside the post itself and slid out as needed. (it may have had "guts"
built into the post but I recall a hose coming out when needed)

Chris

"Leo Lichtman" > wrote in message

> "C.J.Patten" wrote: (clip)Anyone know of a seat-post pump on the market
> today?
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Several years ago a machine shop in Marin County would make you one for
> $50--you furnish the seatpost. I could research it if you are interested.

Brian G
June 1st 05, 08:59 AM
C.J.Patten wrote:
> What do you carry with you while cycling for quick roadside repairs?

In addition to the usual tube, tyre levers, cable ties and multi-tool, I
carry a spare seat post bolt for each of my bikes.

--
Brian G

davek
June 1st 05, 09:43 AM
C.J.Patten wrote:
> What do you carry with you while cycling for quick roadside repairs?

Didn't we just do this one a few days ago? [ok, that was on urc - I see
this is cross-posted to rbm]

> Tire patch? (self-adhesive or with seperate glue?)

Park Super Patches. I've got out of the habit of carrying a spare tube
because I've been lucky lately and not needed one, so I've come to view
a spare tube as bulky, dead weight, but some comments others have made
recently have made me rethink this matter.

Also some have suggested carrying a tyre boot would be a good idea, and
I can see the sense in that.

> Hand pump or CO2-type inflator?

Hand pump - it never runs out of air... though a gas cartridge would be
a nice toy to have.

> Spare spoke or perhaps a FiberFix replacement?

Not something I carry, but maybe I should. I'd consider it a lower
priority than a tyre boot.

> Any multi-tool recommendations? (Park used to make a good one)

I have a Specialised multi-tool. The allen keys and chain-breaker are
not bad, though the spanners are worse than useless (and now broken),
the screwdrivers aren't great, and it has several other bits that I
don't use, eg spacer shims for disk brakes. The bottle opener is handy,
though. On the whole, I reckon a small, carefully chosen selection of
individual tools might be more fit for the purpose and no heavier to carry.

> An old flight instructor of mine who served in the Gulf war used to carry
> three things in her civilian flight survival kit: "GPS, cellphone, credit
> card!" :)

Phone and credit card go without saying. Never had a need for a GPS -
never been that lost. Yet.

d.

davek
June 1st 05, 09:45 AM
Peter Headland wrote:
> Most (possibly all) tyre/rim combinations do not need tyre levers. (Cue
> lots of people who simply don't know how to remove/fit a tyre without
> levers saying that their combination is "impossible".)

I freely admit I am not able to fit/remove a tyre without levers, even
though I am well aware it is possible in theory. But I am happy to pack
a couple of levers in my emergency kit so it's no big deal for me.

d.

davek
June 1st 05, 09:48 AM
Pete Biggs wrote:
> I have a regular spoke taped under a chain stay on my tatty old tourer,

Surely, if your rear wheel is dished, you need at least two spare
spokes? (ie of different lengths)

Or am I misunderstanding something?

d.

davek
June 1st 05, 09:52 AM
Diablo Scott wrote:
> Now you'll need it in triplicate.

....or "How to invoke the p*nct*re fairy"

d.

davek
June 1st 05, 09:57 AM
Zoot Katz wrote:
> Oh, and a corkscrew because you never can tell when it might
> save the day and endear you to friends or strangers.

I have a bottle opener rather than a corkscrew.

> After my last ride, I think I'll add a mylar survival blanket.

I think I've had a similar experience to your last ride... The moment I
decided carrying a survival blanket would be a good idea came as I stood
at a control at 5.30am on a 300k ride a month or so back. It's not so
much a question of survival as just being warm enough to be able to
start riding again after you have stopped.

d.

Dave Larrington
June 1st 05, 10:25 AM
davek wrote:
> Zoot Katz wrote:
>> Oh, and a corkscrew because you never can tell when it might
>> save the day and endear you to friends or strangers.
>
> I have a bottle opener rather than a corkscrew.

The Swiss Army Knife is your friend...

Kinder surprise! What's the surprise? Your children are now dead.

Simon Brooke
June 1st 05, 10:46 AM
in message >, C.J.Patten
') wrote:

> What do you carry with you while cycling for quick roadside repairs?
>
> Tire patch? (self-adhesive or with seperate glue?)

Spare tube, first. Also patches, but my general policy is to shove a new
tube in at the roadside and to fix punctures in the warm and dry.
Obviously if you have more than one puncture on the same trip... I use
'Tip-Top' patches (feather-edge, with glue) and find them very good.

> Hand pump or CO2-type inflator?

Hand pump. Blackburn Airstick. With a slow puncture it gets you home;
with CO2, once the gas runs out you're stuffed. CO2 is for racing only.

> Spare spoke or perhaps a FiberFix replacement?

I've never yet broken a spoke, in over 100,000 miles of riding.
Consequently I don't carry a spare. One of these days, of course, I'm
going to look a fool.

> Any multi-tool recommendations? (Park used to make a good one)

I carry a Topeak Alien 2. On the good side, it is compact, good enough
quality, and has a very wide range of tools - everything I've ever
wanted except a crank tool. On the bad side, it has three small losable
bits - the torx head, the 8mm allen key head, and the little pedal
spanner. I've already lost the little pedal spanner - which is no great
loss as it isn't anywhere near big enough to be really useful, but it
still irritates me.

[ This mind intentionally left blank ]

Simon Brooke
June 1st 05, 10:54 AM
in message >, C.J.Patten
') wrote:

> Hey Pete.
>
> I only have one bike now - a 2003 KHS Westwood folder with 20x1.95's.
>
> Any way I can determine if I need tire levers without taking the tires
> off? (I'm new to this style of tire...)

Suck it and see.

However, a set of plastic tyre levers aren't very big and don't weigh
very much. And fixing a tyre in the rain at dusk on a cold night is so
much grief anyway that making it harder for yourself is stupid. Take
the levers.

Das Internet is nicht fuer gefingerclicken und giffengrabben... Ist
nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das mausklicken sichtseeren
keepen das bandwit-spewin hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und
watchen das cursorblinken. -- quoted from the jargon file

C.J.Patten
June 1st 05, 02:49 PM
"Simon Brooke" > wrote in message

> However, a set of plastic tyre levers aren't very big and don't weigh
> very much. And fixing a tyre in the rain at dusk on a cold night is so
> much grief anyway that making it harder for yourself is stupid. Take
> the levers.

Especially since a lot of the multitools seem to have the levers built in!
Done.

After a short ride this AM, I'm going to peruse some bike shops just to see
what they've got for pumps etc.

Zoot Katz
June 1st 05, 03:08 PM
Wed, 01 Jun 2005 09:57:31 +0100, >,
davek > wrote:

>> Oh, and a corkscrew because you never can tell when it might
>> save the day and endear you to friends or strangers.
>
>I have a bottle opener rather than a corkscrew.

Canadians can, and do, open bottles with anything. Why would I need a
bottle opener if I've already got tire levers, keys, crescent wrench,
table top, luggage rack, etc? Corks are trickier.

>> After my last ride, I think I'll add a mylar survival blanket.
>
>I think I've had a similar experience to your last ride... The moment I
>decided carrying a survival blanket would be a good idea came as I stood
>at a control at 5.30am on a 300k ride a month or so back. It's not so
>much a question of survival as just being warm enough to be able to
>start riding again after you have stopped.

I spent an hour laying on the ground waiting for an ambulance. Luckily
I wasn't alone so a riding partner put his sweater under me and
covered me with his jacket while I was in shock. Had I been alone it
could have been long cold wait until somebody found me.
--
zk

Zoot Katz
June 1st 05, 03:08 PM
Wed, 01 Jun 2005 09:43:44 +0100, >,
davek > wrote of mult-tools:

>On the whole, I reckon a small, carefully chosen selection of
>individual tools might be more fit for the purpose and no heavier to carry.

As you pointed out, many components of the multi-tool are inferior in
quality or utterly useless. In addition, if you loose it, you've lost
everything in one fell swoop. Individual tools are easier to
manipulate and you're not carrying things you don't need.
--
zk

Dave Larrington
June 1st 05, 03:13 PM
Zoot Katz wrote:

> Canadians can, and do, open bottles with anything. Why would I need a
> bottle opener if I've already got tire levers, keys, crescent wrench,
> table top, luggage rack, etc? Corks are trickier.

Corks can usually be pushed down into the bottle with a screwdriver, pencil,
stick, someone else's finger, etc. Dr. Larrington's party piece, when she
was a Penniless Student Oaf, was to open beer bottles with her molars...

Ow.

While you were out at the Rollright Stones, I came and set fire to your
Shed.

Jeff Starr
June 1st 05, 03:19 PM
On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 06:15:49 GMT, Call me Bob
> wrote:

>On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 00:37:11 -0400, "C.J.Patten"
> wrote:
>
>>> A good multi-tool, I like the Crank Bros
>
>>I'm just blown away with the feedback I'm getting on this!
>

>We've discussed this before, not too long ago. I still think you're
>better off carrying separates than an all in one multi-tool.
>
>Discussion is here:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/9e9ox

Ok, that's what you still think, that's fine.

I think it depends on the multi-tool. I wouldn't carry one of those
that has a whole lot of non biking specific tools on it. The one I
recommend is very bike specific and even if it has a few tool sizes,
that I don't need, it may allow me to help a fellow bicylist.

Milti-tools, in fact, any tool carried on the bike, are going to be
used only occasionally, so space and convenience are worthy
considerations. For home use, I certainly wouldn't recommend a
multi-tool. I did carry loose tools for a while. Unless you wrap them
well, and isolate them, they will rattle.

It's horses for courses. And the bottom line, what's important is that
you carry the tools that you may need.

Life is Good!
Jeff

C.J.Patten
June 1st 05, 03:25 PM
"Zoot Katz" > wrote in message

> Canadians can, and do, open bottles with anything. Why would I need a
> bottle opener if I've already got tire levers, keys, crescent wrench,
> table top, luggage rack, etc? Corks are trickier.

Beat me to it! A rock, a wrench... teeth... assuming your beverage of choice
didn't come with a twist off top. Who carries a corked bottle without a
corkscrew though?!

> I spent an hour laying on the ground waiting for an ambulance. Luckily
> I wasn't alone so a riding partner put his sweater under me and
> covered me with his jacket while I was in shock. Had I been alone it
> could have been long cold wait until somebody found me.

Ouch. Did you get clocked by a car? Glad you're OK!

They make those space blankets to fit into a Tic-Tac container these days so
it's not a big hassle to carry one. Think I'll add that to my shopping list!

Chris

davek
June 1st 05, 03:29 PM
Zoot Katz wrote:
> Canadians can, and do, open bottles with anything.

Reminds me of the time I asked a passer-by on a French beach if he had a
bottle opener. I was alarmed when he whipped out a huge machete - then
breathed a sigh of relief when he used it to flip the lid off my beer,
rather than hack me to bits.

Why would I need a
> bottle opener if I've already got tire levers, keys, crescent wrench,
> table top, luggage rack, etc?

Of course, though I'd always use the proper tool for the job if I have
one available - as I do on my bike multi-tool.

>Corks are trickier.

True, though another trick I learned in France is how to uncork a bottle
quickly and fairly easily with a flat blade, such as a penknife. Like so
many things in life, it's all in the wrist action... Alternatively,
rather than pull the cork out, you can just push it in with a stick.

> I spent an hour laying on the ground waiting for an ambulance.

Ooh, nasty. And, er... my experience of merely being a bit cold seems
rather trivial in comparison.

I've often thought about getting a survival blanket to keep in the car,
but it would probably be even more useful on the bike. Definitely one to
bear in mind for future long/night rides.

d.

Leo Lichtman
June 1st 05, 05:13 PM
"davek" wrote: (clip) I was alarmed when he whipped out a huge machete -
then breathed a sigh of relief when he used it to flip the lid off my beer,
(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm going shopping today for a machete to add to my tool kit. I could also
use it as a tire iron, screwdriver. hammer and side-stand. Can anyone think
of additional uses?

Zoot Katz
June 1st 05, 05:16 PM
Wed, 01 Jun 2005 15:29:56 +0100, >,
davek > wrote:

>> Canadians can, and do, open bottles with anything.
>
>Reminds me of the time I asked a passer-by on a French beach if he had a
>bottle opener. I was alarmed when he whipped out a huge machete - then
>breathed a sigh of relief when he used it to flip the lid off my beer,
>rather than hack me to bits.

One of my French friends, raised in Mexico, uses a machete as a sabre
to be-head Champagne bottles on Bastille Day.
--
zk

Zoot Katz
June 1st 05, 05:16 PM
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 10:25:22 -0400, >,
"C.J.Patten" > wrote, in part:

>Who carries a corked bottle without a corkscrew though?!

It's happened, just not to me.
The corkscrew nestles neatly between the rails under the nose of my
saddle thereby turning my Norco into a Swiss Army bike!

>Ouch. Did you get clocked by a car?

Nope. It's a boring JRA story. Happened riding a Frankenbike on a FMUP
in Stanley Park. Did it myself without involving anyone else.

Lesson learned: Don't dab in the dark while travelling ~15 KmH.
--
zk

C.J.Patten
June 1st 05, 05:19 PM
"Leo Lichtman" > wrote in message

> I'm going shopping today for a machete to add to my tool kit. I could
> also use it as a tire iron, screwdriver. hammer and side-stand. Can
> anyone think of additional uses?

Gutting the deer that runs out in front of you?

Scalping ignorant drivers that fail to see you in broad daylight? (or just
slashing their tires)

BTW: for the ULTIMATE machete, Cabelas: http://tinyurl.com/bxnac
More like a Japanese Katana.

Chris

C.J.Patten
June 1st 05, 05:25 PM
"Zoot Katz" > wrote in message
> Wed, 1 Jun 2005 10:25:22 -0400, >,
> "C.J.Patten" > wrote, in part:
>
>>Who carries a corked bottle without a corkscrew though?!
>
> It's happened, just not to me.
> The corkscrew nestles neatly between the rails under the nose of my
> saddle thereby turning my Norco into a Swiss Army bike!
>
>>Ouch. Did you get clocked by a car?
>
> Nope. It's a boring JRA story. Happened riding a Frankenbike on a FMUP
> in Stanley Park. Did it myself without involving anyone else.

OMG. TLA's (three letter acronyms)... I know so little! (frantically
Googling FMUP and JRA)
I admit, I was a gear head before the internet was around. (yup - that long
ago ;)

C.

Zoot Katz
June 1st 05, 05:27 PM
Wed, 01 Jun 2005 16:13:52 GMT,
"Leo Lichtman" > wrote:

>I'm going shopping today for a machete to add to my tool kit. I could also
>use it as a tire iron, screwdriver. hammer and side-stand. Can anyone think
>of additional uses?

Signalling turns.
Training dogs.
Opening Champagne and impressing the babes!
--
zk

Zoot Katz
June 1st 05, 06:00 PM
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 12:25:46 -0400, >,
"C.J.Patten" > wrote:

>OMG. TLA's (three letter acronyms)... I know so little! (frantically
>Googling FMUP and JRA)

FMUP= effin' Multi-user Path, often erroneously called a bike path.

JRA= "Just Riding Along" is the most often used explanation for
catastrophic equipment failure especially when it's a warranty issue.
--
zk

C.J.Patten
June 1st 05, 06:28 PM
"Zoot Katz" > wrote in message
> Wed, 1 Jun 2005 12:25:46 -0400, >,
> "C.J.Patten" > wrote:
>

>>OMG. TLA's (three letter acronyms)... I know so little! (frantically
>>Googling FMUP and JRA)
>
> FMUP= effin' Multi-user Path, often erroneously called a bike path.
>
> JRA= "Just Riding Along" is the most often used explanation for
> catastrophic equipment failure especially when it's a warranty issue.

LOL! Thanks for that Zoot. I've had those days. ;)

Chris

June 1st 05, 06:35 PM
On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 09:16:42 -0700, Zoot Katz >
wrote:

>One of my French friends, raised in Mexico, uses a machete as a sabre
>to be-head Champagne bottles on Bastille Day.

I've seen that done (Opening champagne with a sword, on TV), but I've
never really understood the technique.

Any tips?

C.J.Patten
June 1st 05, 06:49 PM
> wrote in message
> On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 09:16:42 -0700, Zoot Katz >
> wrote:
>

>>One of my French friends, raised in Mexico, uses a machete as a sabre
>>to be-head Champagne bottles on Bastille Day.
>
> I've seen that done (Opening champagne with a sword, on TV), but I've
> never really understood the technique.
>
> Any tips?

Saw it on an episode of "The Young Riders" c.1989.

A fellow was having a picknick with a lady and they wanted to open a bottle
of wine.
He pulls a big Bowie knife out and WHACKS the top of the bottle off!

I gather this is basically causing a crack to instantly run from the impact
point straight across the bottle neck, making it look like you're "cutting"
off the top...

C.

Pete Biggs
June 1st 05, 08:36 PM
davek wrote:
> Pete Biggs wrote:
>> I have a regular spoke taped under a chain stay on my tatty old
>> tourer,
>
> Surely, if your rear wheel is dished, you need at least two spare
> spokes? (ie of different lengths)

You're correct that rear left & right spokes are different, but they can
be close enough in length for a spoke half way in between to work for
both, and sometimes for a front wheel as well. There is some leeway with
spoke nipples. As it happens, I don't carry tools to remove the cassette
so I couldn't use it as a drive-side replacement anyway. But my
"emergency" wire spoke should do for that (soon to be replaced by a
Fibrefix one from Harris Cyclery).

~PB

Call me Bob
June 1st 05, 09:45 PM
On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 14:19:19 GMT, Jeff Starr >
wrote:

>Milti-tools, in fact, any tool carried on the bike, are going to be
>used only occasionally, so space and convenience are worthy
>considerations.

If space and convenience are considerations, then you're better off
carrying separates.

>I did carry loose tools for a while. Unless you wrap them
>well, and isolate them, they will rattle.

Mine don't rattle at all, and I pay no particular attention to how
they are packed. They're just squeezed into a small seatpack with a
tube and a couple of other items.

>For home use, I certainly wouldn't recommend a
>multi-tool.

I agree, I wouldn't choose, or trust, a cycling multi-tool for a job
at home. I would, however, be perfectly happy to recommend good
quality hand tools for that kind of work.

If you won't accept the inferior quality of a cycling multi-tool for a
"proper" job, why accept it for working on your bike out on the road.

>It's horses for courses. And the bottom line, what's important is that
>you carry the tools that you may need.

And that those tools won't fail when they're put to the test.

"Bob"

--

Email address is spam trapped.
To reply directly remove the beverage.

Zoot Katz
June 1st 05, 10:32 PM
Wed, 01 Jun 2005 18:35:01 +0100,
wrote:

>On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 09:16:42 -0700, Zoot Katz >
>wrote:
>

>>One of my French friends, raised in Mexico, uses a machete as a sabre
>>to be-head Champagne bottles on Bastille Day.
>
>I've seen that done (Opening champagne with a sword, on TV), but I've
>never really understood the technique.
>
>Any tips?

Do it outside until you're accomplished.

http://www.champagneclub.org/sabrage.html
http://www.cutlerytogo.com/chamsab.html
--
zk

Pete Biggs
June 1st 05, 10:35 PM
Call me Bob wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 14:19:19 GMT, Jeff Starr >
> wrote:
>> I did carry loose tools for a while. Unless you wrap them
>> well, and isolate them, they will rattle.
>
> Mine don't rattle at all, and I pay no particular attention to how
> they are packed. They're just squeezed into a small seatpack with a
> tube and a couple of other items.

I generally prefer loose tools as well and carry seperate small allen
keys, spoke key and a chain tool. Even if they did rattle, rolling up in
a cloth & elastic band soon fixes that. But I do carry a Topeak Toolbar
in place of some allen keys and screwdrivers, which is good enough even
for some workshop jobs at home. It takes any 1/4" bit and has a good
handle.

~PB

Tim Hall
June 1st 05, 10:49 PM
On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 10:00:19 -0700, Zoot Katz >
wrote:

>FMUP= effin' Multi-user Path, often erroneously called a bike path.

Nice. Can I borrow it for use in the UK? I promise I won't hurt it.

Tim

Bob
June 1st 05, 11:47 PM
C.J.Patten wrote:
> What do you carry with you while cycling for quick roadside repairs?

I have one of those little bags that goes under the back of the saddle.
It usually contains a spare inner tube, puncture repair kit, two tyre
levers, and a mini chain tool, I also carry a mini pump. I will also be
carrying a CO2 inflater and spare bulb in the future.

I think there's still four twenty pence coins in it as well from before
I got a mobile phone. The mobile normally sits in my jersey pocket for
emergencies.

Cheers,

--
bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com http://www.bobarnott.com/
"Crash programs fail because they are based on theory that,

Jeff Starr
June 2nd 05, 12:54 AM
On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 20:45:11 GMT, Call me Bob
> wrote:

>On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 14:19:19 GMT, Jeff Starr >
>wrote:
>

>>Milti-tools, in fact, any tool carried on the bike, are going to be
>>used only occasionally, so space and convenience are worthy
>>considerations.
>
>If space and convenience are considerations, then you're better off
>carrying separates.
Space, maybe, you can't pack all the tools that the Carank Bros Micra
17 has, in as compact a space as the tool does. where is the
convenience, when I have to dig around in my bag, for each tool.

>>I did carry loose tools for a while. Unless you wrap them
>>well, and isolate them, they will rattle.
>
>Mine don't rattle at all, and I pay no particular attention to how
>they are packed. They're just squeezed into a small seatpack with a
>tube and a couple of other items.
Good for you. You either are lucky, have a tightly packed bag, or
don't notice rattles. I hate rattling of any kind.

>>For home use, I certainly wouldn't recommend a
>>multi-tool.
>
>I agree, I wouldn't choose, or trust, a cycling multi-tool for a job
>at home. I would, however, be perfectly happy to recommend good
>quality hand tools for that kind of work.
I said I wouldn't recommend a multi-tool for home use, as in that
setting an individual tool, makes more sense. What's not to trust? It
is a simple tool, it's the operator that is the determining factor.

>If you won't accept the inferior quality of a cycling multi-tool for a
>"proper" job, why accept it for working on your bike out on the road
What is this "proper" job, you speak of? Nowhere did I say anything
about inferior quality of that tool. The tool I recommend, I could use
at home, I wouldn't choose a separate based on the quality of it. I
would choose a separate, because in a home setting I can keep my
separate tools organized and easily accessable. Anyway, on the road I
prefer something that is convenient and all in one. At home I don't
need that convenience.

>>It's horses for courses. And the bottom line, what's important is that
>>you carry the tools that you may need.
>
>And that those tools won't fail when they're put to the test.
Well, it hasn't failed yet and I am quite confident that it won't.
What's the matter, did you have a cheap multi-tool fail on you? Is
your bike in contast need of repair? I have used my tools, primarily
for making adjustments, when trying out a new saddle or something
similar. Maybe you would be best off getting a bike trailer and then
you could haul around a complete tool set. That way, you could do a
"prope"r job anywhere;-)

We both stated our preferences, now you feel the need to convince me
that carrying loose tools is the way to go. I'm not convinced.

>"Bob"

Life is Good!
Jeff

Geezer Boy
June 2nd 05, 01:50 AM
On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 10:25:22 -0400, "C.J.Patten"
> wrote:

>"Zoot Katz" > wrote in message
>
>> Canadians can, and do, open bottles with anything. Why would I need a
>> bottle opener if I've already got tire levers, keys, crescent wrench,
>> table top, luggage rack, etc? Corks are trickier.
>
>Beat me to it! A rock, a wrench... teeth... assuming your beverage of choice
>didn't come with a twist off top. Who carries a corked bottle without a
>corkscrew though?!
>

>> I spent an hour laying on the ground waiting for an ambulance. Luckily
>> I wasn't alone so a riding partner put his sweater under me and
>> covered me with his jacket while I was in shock. Had I been alone it
>> could have been long cold wait until somebody found me.
>
>Ouch. Did you get clocked by a car? Glad you're OK!
>
>They make those space blankets to fit into a Tic-Tac container these days so
>it's not a big hassle to carry one. Think I'll add that to my shopping list!
>
>Chris

The mylar space blankets are near-worthless, in my experience. The
mylar *bags,* costing a few bucks more and the same size, are way
better. I have experimented with these bags, spending the night in
them in the mountains in Summer. Two nights was enough, and that was
on closed cell foam pads. They were not warm at all, and did little to
keep me warmer than ambient temps; however they are a windbreaker..
Perhaps they will help a person survive a little longer especially if
in shock.

The basic concept on these lightweight bags is good, but here is the
one that really works. It's larger to pack, but still cheap and light.

Adventure Medical Kits'
Thermo-LiteŽ Emergency Bivy Sack

http://tinyurl.com/c4jz3

BTW, I think you will get even better results with this if you put the
foot vent up at the top, by your head. Try it and see. These are
reusable and not as flimsy as the throwaways. I keep one of these in
my car and take it with me when going into the National Forests,
biking or backpacking alone. Could save your life if you broke an
ankle, etc., and couldn't get home for a day or were exposed to rain
and wind, and the cell phone wasn't connecting. Also BTW, unlike in
fiction, many hypothermia deaths occur in the forty degree range.
Person gets damp or wet, and cannot get out of the breeze. Happens
again and again.]

However I do not take it with me on normal rides, and so it isn't part
of my normal riding toolkit. A quality lightweight nylon rain jacket
and pants that pack in a small bag is what I usually carry. This one,
in fact, from Cabelas. Inexpensive, wears well, not Goretex.

http://tinyurl.com/9ggvg

http://tinyurl.com/a5d3p

Geezer Boy

Geezer Boy
June 2nd 05, 01:53 AM
On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 23:54:24 GMT, Jeff Starr >
wrote:

>On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 20:45:11 GMT, Call me Bob
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 14:19:19 GMT, Jeff Starr >
>>wrote:

snip

>>>I did carry loose tools for a while. Unless you wrap them
>>>well, and isolate them, they will rattle.
>>
>>Mine don't rattle at all, and I pay no particular attention to how
>>they are packed. They're just squeezed into a small seatpack with a
>>tube and a couple of other items.
>Good for you. You either are lucky, have a tightly packed bag, or
>don't notice rattles. I hate rattling of any kind.

Small-bubble bubble wrap, thin sheets. Weighs nothing, packs tight.
Voila.

Geezer Boy.

Call me Bob
June 2nd 05, 03:58 AM
wrote:

>>If space and convenience are considerations, then you're better off
>>carrying separates.
>Space, maybe, you can't pack all the tools that the Carank Bros Micra
>17 has, in as compact a space as the tool does.

Yes you can.

More to the point though, I don't need those 17 tools, so I choose not
to carry them all around unnecessarily. If all 17 were actually
required, they would be no more bulky in separates as in the one big
lump format you prefer.

A significant difference however is if you need to use a tool from the
Micra 17, you have to use it with most of the other tools still
attached, making it bigger and clumsier. When tight clearances or
slightly hampered access may be involved, this is a disadvantage.

>where is the
>convenience, when I have to dig around in my bag, for each tool.

Then pack more efficiently.

>I said I wouldn't recommend a multi-tool for home use, as in that
>setting an individual tool, makes more sense. What's not to trust? It
>is a simple tool, it's the operator that is the determining factor.

What's not to trust? Quality. Of both manufacture, and design.

Take the Micra 17 you mentioned for example:

http://tinyurl.com/8vkef

Look at that dual sized 8 and 10mm stamped "wrench". That's blatant
**** poor design, and I wouldn't trust it to assemble Ikea furniture.

>>If you won't accept the inferior quality of a cycling multi-tool for a
>>"proper" job, why accept it for working on your bike out on the road
>What is this "proper" job, you speak of?

Any job that demands a well designed and made tool, manufactured from
appropriate materials.

>Nowhere did I say anything
>about inferior quality of that tool.

There's no need to say it specifically, it's a given. You don't even
have to handle it, just look at the picture, and consider it's price.
Oh yes, and also read the accounts on usenet and elsewhere of people
having broken, bent or otherwise been let down by similar tools.

Which raises another point. What happens if you are faced with a
difficult fastener, something seized or damaged perhaps, and your
multi-tool ends up with a single rounded tool? Do you now throw the
whole thing in the bin and buy another, or carry it anyway and cross
your fingers that you won't need that item? Or do you continue
carrying the tool and also supplement it with other individual items?

>>And that those tools won't fail when they're put to the test.
>Well, it hasn't failed yet and I am quite confident that it won't.

I'm impressed with your optimism, long may it last.

>What's the matter, did you have a cheap multi-tool fail on you? Is
>your bike in contast need of repair?

Condescension? Oh bravo.

>We both stated our preferences, now you feel the need to convince me
>that carrying loose tools is the way to go. I'm not convinced.

I feel no such compulsion to convince you, you made that up all by
yourself. I felt happy to comment a second time in an ongoing
discussion, that's all.

I do not see the benefit in choosing a multi-tool over separates. What
is the advantage? It may be simpler in the shop to pick up one item,
and then to put that one item in your seatpack, but that convenience
has little relation to the actual function the tool has to perform.

Carefully chosen separates will be no more bulky, and no heavier than
a comparable multi-tool. They will be more reliable when faced with
difficult tasks, are more ergonomic in use, and offer flexibility when
choosing what combination of tools to carry. The only downside is you
may have to spend a bit more initially, but then proper tools cost
money. *shrug*

Fair enough, multi-tools cope perfectly well with most run of the mill
adjustments cyclists will routinely encounter, but, a better solution
is available. So I'll continue to advocate it.

"Bob"

--

Email address is spam trapped.
To reply directly remove the beverage.

garmonboezia
June 2nd 05, 06:22 AM
"C.J.Patten" > wrote in
:

> What do you carry with you while cycling for quick
roadside
> repairs?
>
> Tire patch? (self-adhesive or with seperate glue?)
> Hand pump or CO2-type inflator?
> Spare spoke or perhaps a FiberFix replacement?
> Any multi-tool recommendations? (Park used to make a
good
> one)
>
> An old flight instructor of mine who served in the
Gulf war
> used to carry three things in her civilian flight
survival
> kit: "GPS, cellphone, credit card!" :)
>
> Chris

-patch kit
-2x tire levers
-leatherman
-folding metric allen wrench set
-pump (Topeak Mt. Morph- I love this pump so much I
want to marry it. It combines the best features of a
floor pump with low weight and compact size.)
-spoke wrench
-zip ties
-sharpie (mark punctures and well something to
scribble license plate numbers, phones numbers, ect.)
-8mm/9mm open wrench
-10mm open wrench

-and when I think of it, a spare tube

This kit will handle most small problems well enough to
get me home. I prolly SHOULD have a chain breaker in
there but I guess I prefer to take my chances. I don't
break that many chains. I try not to use any small
fasteners on my bikes that can't be adjusted by my road
kit.

Mike

Chris Malcolm
June 2nd 05, 07:59 AM
"C.J.Patten" > writes:

>I looked back at my notes and it seems I had my last bike for 14 years.

>Over that time (probably 5,000km+ of riding), I never popped a tire, broke a
>spoke or otherwise needed any maintenance while on the road.

I stopped having punctures when I stopped lending my bike to other
folk. They rode it far less than me, usually just someone borrowing it
for a day, but in those days I fixed at least two punctures a
year. Some of them occurred while *I* was riding the bike.

About twelve years ago I stopped lending the bike, and punctures
ceased, including those that happened when *I* was riding
it.

So the last thing I ever add to my toolkit is puncture repair. But I
always carry enough tools to make adjustments to things, including a
spanner which can handle the rear wheel nuts. Small adjustments to
things like seat and bars can make a big difference to long distance
comfort, especially if you hurt yourself a bit, and a wallop sometimes
knocks things out of adjustment in a way that another wallop won't
fix. And it's not just the bike. Light switches sometimes need a bit
of attention, for example.
--
Chris Malcolm +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

davek
June 2nd 05, 12:35 PM
garmonboezia wrote:
> I prolly SHOULD have a chain breaker in
> there but I guess I prefer to take my chances. I don't
> break that many chains.

The one time I've found a chainbreaker useful on the road was when my
rear mech failed catastrophically. I just shortened the chain and
converted my bike to singlespeed for the rest of the journey.

d.

JohnB
June 2nd 05, 12:58 PM
davek wrote:

> The one time I've found a chainbreaker useful on the road was when my
> rear mech failed catastrophically. I just shortened the chain and
> converted my bike to singlespeed for the rest of the journey.

Had to do that for a 300 mile journey along the southern coast of Spain
once when the rear mech collapsed and also took out half a dozen spokes :-(

Good training though.

John B

C.J.Patten
June 2nd 05, 01:38 PM
"JohnB" > wrote in message
> davek wrote:
>
>> The one time I've found a chainbreaker useful on the road was when my
>> rear mech failed catastrophically. I just shortened the chain and
>> converted my bike to singlespeed for the rest of the journey.
>
> Had to do that for a 300 mile journey along the southern coast of Spain
> once when the rear mech collapsed and also took out half a dozen spokes
> :-(
>
> Good training though.
>
> John B

OUCH! :O

Anyone use a "Super Link"? http://www.theramp.net/craig/slmain.html
It's a chain link that can be removed without tools.

Convenient, but I'm guessing it doesn't eliminate the need for a chain tool
for the times when a chain actually "breaks" and needs reassembling.

Still, I'm thinking about adding a Super Link...

Thoughts?

Chris

Just zis Guy, you know?
June 2nd 05, 01:47 PM
On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 08:38:41 -0400, "C.J.Patten"
> wrote:

>Anyone use a "Super Link"? http://www.theramp.net/craig/slmain.html
>It's a chain link that can be removed without tools.

I use Sram chains with the Powerlink. It works well, and you can
carry a spare, but I still carry a chain tool because while it is many
years since I broke a chain, I've rescued a couple of people recently
who have done just that - and neither of them had the PowerLink
fitted..

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

Buck
June 2nd 05, 02:35 PM
On 06/02/2005 13:47:05 "Just zis Guy, you know?" >
wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 08:38:41 -0400, "C.J.Patten"
> > wrote:

>> Anyone use a "Super Link"? http://www.theramp.net/craig/slmain.html It's
>> a chain link that can be removed without tools.

> I use Sram chains with the Powerlink. It works well, and you can carry a
> spare, but I still carry a chain tool because while it is many years since
> I broke a chain, I've rescued a couple of people recently who have done
> just that - and neither of them had the PowerLink fitted..

> Guy

I use Sram as well, and with two and a half chains have never broken one, I
do carry a multitool that has a chain tool on it however if only to assist
broken down wedgie riders.
--
Buck

I would rather be out on my Catrike

www.catrike.co.uk

C.J.Patten
June 2nd 05, 03:45 PM
"Buck" > wrote in message
> I use Sram as well, and with two and a half chains have never broken one,
> do carry a multitool that has a chain tool on it however if only to assist
> broken down wedgie riders.

WEDGIE RIDERS?! LOL! What the heck is a "wedgie?"

I'm starting a new thread entitled "tool help" as it's a bit off-topic from
this one...

Thanks guys - great feedback here... :)

Chris

Buck
June 2nd 05, 04:04 PM
On 06/02/2005 15:45:11 "C.J.Patten" > wrote:

> "Buck" > wrote in message

>> I use Sram as well, and with two and a half chains have never broken one,
>> I do carry a multitool that has a chain tool on it however if only to
>> assist broken down wedgie riders.

> WEDGIE RIDERS?! LOL! What the heck is a "wedgie?"

> I'm starting a new thread entitled "tool help" as it's a bit off-topic
> from this one...

> Thanks guys - great feedback here... :)

> Chris
Without opening up any old wounds, "wedgie" is a term used by recumbent riders to describe upright bikes due to the wedge shape of the frame.

--
Buck

I would rather be out on my Catrike

www.catrike.co.uk

C.J.Patten
June 2nd 05, 04:07 PM
"Buck" > wrote in message

> Without opening up any old wounds, "wedgie" is a term used by recumbent
> riders to describe upright bikes due to the wedge shape of the frame.

"Call me anything you like as long as you don't call me late for dinner." ;)

Dave Larrington
June 2nd 05, 05:04 PM
Buck wrote:

> Without opening up any old wounds, "wedgie" is a term used by
> recumbent riders to describe upright bikes due to the wedge shape of
> the frame.

Up to a point, Lord Copper. Seizing the waistband of someone's underpants
and yanking them sharply upwards is known as "giving a wedgie". Its
application to upright bicycles stems from the notion that the saddle
thereof has a similar effect upon the victim^w rider's arse.

They came for Dani Behr; I said: "she's over there, behind the
wardrobe".

Buck
June 2nd 05, 05:23 PM
On 06/02/2005 17:04:08 "Dave Larrington" > wrote:

> Buck wrote:

>> Without opening up any old wounds, "wedgie" is a term used by recumbent
>> riders to describe upright bikes due to the wedge shape of the frame.

> Up to a point, Lord Copper. Seizing the waistband of someone's underpants
> and yanking them sharply upwards is known as "giving a wedgie". Its
> application to upright bicycles stems from the notion that the saddle
> thereof has a similar effect upon the victim^w rider's arse.

I was using the polite analogy Dave, you are a disgusting child now go stand in the corner.
--
Buck

I would rather be out on my Catrike

www.catrike.co.uk

Dane Jackson
June 2nd 05, 10:20 PM
C.J.Patten > wrote:
> What do you carry with you while cycling for quick roadside repairs?
>
> Tire patch? (self-adhesive or with seperate glue?)

Rema Tip-top glue and patch kind

> Hand pump or CO2-type inflator?

Topeak Road Morph

> Spare spoke or perhaps a FiberFix replacement?

Nah. With 32/36 spoke wheels I just carry a spoke wrench and I can
manage fairly well even with a couple missing spokes.

> Any multi-tool recommendations? (Park used to make a good one)

I think I have a Micra-10? Something like that. 3/4/5/6/8 mm hex
wrenches, chain tool, 15/16 spoke wrench, 8/10 mm open end wrench,
phillips and flathead screwdriver. It's ok.

Soma steel-core tire levers: http://www.somafab.com/tirelevers.html
Spare tube
Tri-flow oil
Spare SRAM powerlinks (from old chains)
Universal spoke wrench (good enough for road repairs)
Zip ties
Patch kit
5 & 6 mm hex wrenches
10/13mm offset brake wrench (if I'm trying to remember to adjust my brakes)

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
A recent study has found that concentrating on difficult off-screen

garmonboezia
June 2nd 05, 11:14 PM
"Just zis Guy, you know?" >
wrote in
:

> On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 08:38:41 -0400, "C.J.Patten"
> > wrote:
>
>>Anyone use a "Super Link"?
>>http://www.theramp.net/craig/slmain.html It's a chain
link
>>that can be removed without tools.
>
> I use Sram chains with the Powerlink. It works well,
and
> you can carry a spare, but I still carry a chain tool
> because while it is many years since I broke a chain,
I've
> rescued a couple of people recently who have done
just that
> - and neither of them had the PowerLink fitted..
>
> Guy

I also use Sram with powerlink. I've had chains fail,
but not at the powerlink.

Mike

Dan Gregory
June 5th 05, 01:35 PM
JohnB wrote:
> davek wrote:
>

>>The one time I've found a chainbreaker useful on the road was when my
>>rear mech failed catastrophically. I just shortened the chain and
>>converted my bike to singlespeed for the rest of the journey.
>

> Had to do that for a 300 mile journey along the southern coast of Spain
> once when the rear mech collapsed and also took out half a dozen spokes :-(
Same for me in the Picos and Cantabria! Made it to Donostia where
repairs (frame gear hanger straightening) and new mech fitted and
supplied for a good price ....
All the best
Dan Gregory

JohnB
June 5th 05, 01:49 PM
Dan Gregory wrote:

> JohnB wrote:
> > davek wrote:
> >

> >>The one time I've found a chainbreaker useful on the road was when my
> >>rear mech failed catastrophically. I just shortened the chain and
> >>converted my bike to singlespeed for the rest of the journey.
> >

> > Had to do that for a 300 mile journey along the southern coast of Spain
> > once when the rear mech collapsed and also took out half a dozen spokes :-(
> Same for me in the Picos and Cantabria! Made it to Donostia where
> repairs (frame gear hanger straightening) and new mech fitted and
> supplied for a good price ....

My biggest problem was getting the rear block off and replacing spokes.
In a small village I found a workman (a plumber) who had a long enough
spanner to use with my block remover.
I then had to replace the broken spokes - all on the gear side - with
the spares I was carrying and others 'borrowed' from the front wheel.
I sat on the pavement learning how to build wheels.

Replacement spokes for the front wheel were obtained several days later.

John B

Jasper Janssen
June 7th 05, 10:39 AM
On Tue, 31 May 2005 23:48:02 -0400, "C.J.Patten"
> wrote:
>"Marty" > wrote in message
>> C.J.Patten wrote:

>>> An old flight instructor of mine who served in the Gulf war used to carry
>>> three things in her civilian flight survival kit: "GPS, cellphone, credit
>>> card!" :)
>> No lipstick?

>Naw. Pam might have carried a Colt 45 ACP. She was NOT a lipstick gal.
>Awesome lady.

On a civilian flight? One hopes she is not now residing in a certain
not-really-Cuban space.

Jasper

C.J.Patten
June 11th 05, 04:31 PM
"Just zis Guy, you know?" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 08:38:41 -0400, "C.J.Patten"
> > wrote:
>
>>Anyone use a "Super Link"? http://www.theramp.net/craig/slmain.html
>>It's a chain link that can be removed without tools.
>
> I use Sram chains with the Powerlink. It works well, and you can
> carry a spare, but I still carry a chain tool because while it is many
> years since I broke a chain, I've rescued a couple of people recently
> who have done just that - and neither of them had the PowerLink
> fitted..

Hey!

A silver SRAM powerlink on a Shimano chain ...works great!

So far, 6km on it and not a peep, squeak or click out of it. Neat.

Now that it's so easy to remove, I took the chain off and dropped it in a 2
liter plastic pop bottle with a squirt of Varsol leaving me a shiney chain
and a bottle of dirty Varsol. :)

Bit of 3-in-1 oil on the chain & back on the bike.

Since it's so easy to do, I'm thinking of cleaning it after every couple of
rides and coating it with wax from now on. Wonder how many people do
this...?

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home