PDA

View Full Version : Giant OCR 2 sizing dilemma

abrown360
June 1st 05, 03:32 AM
So the Giant XS S M L XL sizing scheme is confusing me.

According to Wrenchscience.com, my bike size is a 51-53.

According to Giant bicycle company's website, my hight makes me a
Medium frame size, but my inseam makes me a Small size bike. ARG!

The small size Giant is equivelant to a 51, 53, and 55cm bike. How
could their height recommendation for my size be a Medium (equiv. to
55, 57, 59cm) when all other signs point to Small?

I know that FIT is the most important thing, and I have to try the
bikes out and make the best decision, but I need some outside help
here.

I am 5'8", 145lbs, 31" inseam. Does anyone out there have the same
measurements? What size bikes do you ride? What size Giant? Help!!!

-a

Brian Sanderson
June 1st 05, 03:50 AM
5' 8" inseam 31"

If you get the 55, the "seatpost to bars" fit will be correct, but you may
have some trouble with stand over height. The smaller frame will be more
comfortable to stand over, but you will need to adjust seatpost and
handlebar heights.

Joe Canuck
June 1st 05, 04:05 AM
abrown360 wrote:

> So the Giant XS S M L XL sizing scheme is confusing me.
>
> According to Wrenchscience.com, my bike size is a 51-53.
>
> According to Giant bicycle company's website, my hight makes me a
> Medium frame size, but my inseam makes me a Small size bike. ARG!
>
> The small size Giant is equivelant to a 51, 53, and 55cm bike. How
> could their height recommendation for my size be a Medium (equiv. to
> 55, 57, 59cm) when all other signs point to Small?
>
> I know that FIT is the most important thing, and I have to try the
> bikes out and make the best decision, but I need some outside help
> here.
>
> I am 5'8", 145lbs, 31" inseam. Does anyone out there have the same
> measurements? What size bikes do you ride? What size Giant? Help!!!
>
> -a

6', 30" inseam, M (19.5) Giant is what I have.

abrown360
June 1st 05, 04:11 AM
I have an inch or 2 of clearance over the 55cm bike. Is that enough?

June 1st 05, 06:04 AM
In article . com>,
abrown360 > wrote:
>According to Giant bicycle company's website, my hight makes me a
>Medium frame size, but my inseam makes me a Small size bike. ARG!

All those size charts are just estimates. Just sit on the bike to
see what fits you. Remember that for most people, top tube length
and reach to the handlebar is much more important than seat tube
length.

Mark Hickey
June 1st 05, 02:55 PM
"abrown360" > wrote:

>I have an inch or 2 of clearance over the 55cm bike. Is that enough?

Yes (providing they're measuring the standover height at the mid-span
of the top tube). I've seen some manufacturers list the SOH at the
REAR of the sloped top tube (where you couldn't even stand if you
wanted to because of the nose of the saddle).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

June 2nd 05, 01:59 AM
abrown360 wrote:
> I am 5'8", 145lbs, 31" inseam. Does anyone out there have the same
> measurements? What size bikes do you ride? What size Giant? Help!!!

I have a 2003 OCR 3 which is a different bike, but the geometry data
looks similar. I'm the same height with a slightly shorter inseam, and
I ride a Medium, but I found the stock top-tube to be too long. That
year the stem was an adjustable 120mm stem of a different design than
the current model, and I couldn't flip it to a position that was
comfortable (when the bars were close enough, the stem was just too
high). I swapped the stem with a 90mm fixed one with the appropriate
rise.

There's about a 30mm difference in top-tube length between the Small
and Medium models. Since you have a little more leg than torso
compared to me, maybe you should check out the Small? On the other
hand, I prefer a somewhat upright position, so if you're more
comfortable being more stretched out, maybe the Medium would work for
you. Who knows, maybe the Small would've worked better for me as well
(not knowing much about bikes at the time, I unfortunately went to a
shop that offered little assistance in terms of fit). Oh, and I too
found the Giant website's sizing calculations to be confusing.

Good luck,

Jason

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home